Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

VirtualStranger posted:

Of course, another problem then arises, mainly that the AI isn't actually very good at it

I keep seeing people saying this and I continue to not believe them. The sector AI was pretty good to me last game I played. I just designated each sector to do one thing (Energy/Minerals/Research) and it would happily fill each planet with those, deviating only to ensure it had enough resources to keep expanding.

Mind, the last game I played was a huge galaxy. If you enjoy personally minmaxing four hundred planets, then go right ahead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I did that event where you save the brainscans of a dead empire and can upload them into droids, and when I got the option to have them join my empire the planet they said they would colonize was in a system which had the Ancient Fortress.

I chickened out and told them to form their own empire, but now I kind of regret it, because would that have actually given me that planet for free, or did my new robot friends basically tell me "Let us form our own nation or we will commit suicide"?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Veryslightlymad posted:

I did that event where you save the brainscans of a dead empire and can upload them into droids, and when I got the option to have them join my empire the planet they said they would colonize was in a system which had the Ancient Fortress.

I chickened out and told them to form their own empire, but now I kind of regret it, because would that have actually given me that planet for free, or did my new robot friends basically tell me "Let us form our own nation or we will commit suicide"?
"Oh hey our fortress is still running. Let's go live there" :v:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Shadowlyger posted:

I keep seeing people saying this and I continue to not believe them. The sector AI was pretty good to me last game I played. I just designated each sector to do one thing (Energy/Minerals/Research) and it would happily fill each planet with those, deviating only to ensure it had enough resources to keep expanding.
If your sectors are getting the same returns as your managed planets then you are super bad at the planet management game. It's not that Paradox is doing a bad job on the AI, it's that the tile game as designed is full of interlocking choices and trade-offs that Humans find intuitive but is ludicrously hard to reduce to a set of rules.

Shadowlyger posted:

Mind, the last game I played was a huge galaxy. If you enjoy personally minmaxing four hundred planets, then go right ahead.
This is being deliberately obtuse, please stop.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Veryslightlymad posted:

I think they would've colonised that planet for you with that option.

The one you picked, I think, has them go colonise another random planet in the galaxy.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Oops, I read all the dev diaries and they sound really good and now I want to play the version of Stellaris that doesn't exist yet.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Still playing my rogue servitors, conquering a fallen empire and spinning off its planets as vassals because I don't want their ugly cyclopean faces in my bio trophy cabinet.

Save-scumming vassal creation because the vassal ethos appears to be utterly random.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Gitro posted:

Oops, I read all the dev diaries and they sound really good and now I want to play the version of Stellaris that doesn't exist yet.

Two weeks from tomorrow!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Shadowlyger posted:

The reason is "Micromanaging literally every planet that finds its way into your empire isn't fun".

That would be why I described it as an enforced convenience feature, there is virtually no mechanical reason why you'd want to do it otherwise.

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!
This game is seriously the devil for me. I've tried to play a couple of 30-minute sessions, but I just can't. I get completely sucked into this world, and I just love how my one-planet government turns into this star-spanning empire that soon has to butt heads with other empires. Already lost a couple of games, but seriously didn't mind, because I could create a cool new race and a completely new story would happen.

So I'm definitely going to get Apocalypse, but I'm currently in my first game that is actually going well. Just slowly grew my empire, build stations when needed(instead of trying to grab everything within my space and completely ignoring my energy output), and currently at a stage where I am a superpower in the galaxy. Not the strongest, but not a weak civilization like in my first game. It's a surprisingly calm game, actually. Neighbours with two empires with whom I completely connect. There is only a spiritual empire on the other hand of the galaxy whom will likely cause issues in the future, because I went full-cyborg. Hoping to start a federation with the other two empires to avoid a war situation.

But yeah, I'm seriously enjoying my current game. I assume I can still play it once I buy the DLC? It just won't have access to the new features?

Actually, now that I think about it, how is it going to work with the new patch? I've read that the war gameplay is going to get completely revamped. What happens if I load my save and am in the middle of a war?

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Baron von der Loon posted:

This game is seriously the devil for me. I've tried to play a couple of 30-minute sessions, but I just can't. I get completely sucked into this world, and I just love how my one-planet government turns into this star-spanning empire that soon has to butt heads with other empires. Already lost a couple of games, but seriously didn't mind, because I could create a cool new race and a completely new story would happen.

So I'm definitely going to get Apocalypse, but I'm currently in my first game that is actually going well. Just slowly grew my empire, build stations when needed(instead of trying to grab everything within my space and completely ignoring my energy output), and currently at a stage where I am a superpower in the galaxy. Not the strongest, but not a weak civilization like in my first game. It's a surprisingly calm game, actually. Neighbours with two empires with whom I completely connect. There is only a spiritual empire on the other hand of the galaxy whom will likely cause issues in the future, because I went full-cyborg. Hoping to start a federation with the other two empires to avoid a war situation.

But yeah, I'm seriously enjoying my current game. I assume I can still play it once I buy the DLC? It just won't have access to the new features?

Actually, now that I think about it, how is it going to work with the new patch? I've read that the war gameplay is going to get completely revamped. What happens if I load my save and am in the middle of a war?

The changes are so big that your save will be incompatible. You'll have to use Steam Beta settings to roll back your game to an older version if you want to finish your save.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
woah I was not aware that if you get an event that's like "holy poo poo turns out this was a planet that was in the process of being terraformed what do we do with the machine?" and you decide to dismantle it, the people will be permanently pissed at the unstable biosphere.

I mean its on me for not checking that the planet had a new modifier on it but that was a lovely end, imo. I got the next level up of terraforming tech but going from zero to one is not that good a trade when you'd need to go up a few more levels to fix the planet.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

SniperWoreConverse posted:

woah I was not aware that if you get an event that's like "holy poo poo turns out this was a planet that was in the process of being terraformed what do we do with the machine?" and you decide to dismantle it, the people will be permanently pissed at the unstable biosphere.

I mean its on me for not checking that the planet had a new modifier on it but that was a lovely end, imo. I got the next level up of terraforming tech but going from zero to one is not that good a trade when you'd need to go up a few more levels to fix the planet.
The other option is definitely always good :ninja:

Splicer fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Feb 7, 2018

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Oh yes, that has always worked for me. 100% of the time.

:suicide:

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

VirtualStranger posted:

If the planet management mechanics are that un-fun, then they should be completely reworked instead of slapping a band-aid over the problem by forcing you to hand it off to the AI.

This is my biggest problem with the empire management aspects of the game at the moment. The pop-and-tile system turns every planet into a puzzle game that incentivizes the player to spent time and effort min-maxing their building layouts. But doing this with more than a handful of planets is tedious and time-consuming, distracting the player from other aspects of the game. The solution to this problem was to inflict the player with debilitating resource penalties until they allow the AI to do it for them. Of course, the AI isn't actually very good at it, so most players don't actually want to give it control over anything.

The game effectively encourages you to min-max planets, but then punishes you for actually trying to do it.

It should be done by giving planets more individual identities so they're easier to remember. It's hard to minmax 20 generic desert worlds because it's easy to forget about them but it's easier to remember which world has the uplifted aliens you just built a new planetary capital for, which world has the special bonus and so on. This is basically why I want to see procedural planets rather than stupid sci fi cliche desert worlds and jungle worlds. They all just blend together, 4x games get way more fun if you feel like the area you're governing over is alive in some way.

Sectors are fine but they should make sense in the plan for your empire instead of just being dumping grounds for generic worlds. Maybe they should have more of a mnemonic function so you can remember like, "this is the sector with the important strategic bottleneck world", or "this is the sector with scrub peripheral worlds" etc, or maybe have them emerge based on the ethnic/robotic or ideological identity of parts of your empire.

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA
Activating ancient machinery beyond one's ken has never, ever backfired

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

AG3 posted:

I'm pretty sure Wiz already said that empire breaking is something everyone asks for, but they always hate it when it happens to them and not just someone else.
Why not both?

Midgame Crisis: Twilight of Civilization.
All non-FE/AE empires simultaneously split into smaller states. The scope of fragmentation is determined by the crisis strength slider.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
I'm pretty sure if much of anything in the last couple pages gets in I'm either gonna play Gestalts forever or mod it out.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

GotLag posted:

Still playing my rogue servitors, conquering a fallen empire and spinning off its planets as vassals because I don't want their ugly cyclopean faces in my bio trophy cabinet.

Save-scumming vassal creation because the vassal ethos appears to be utterly random.

Because machine empires have no ethos that can be directly given to their new vassal, unlike standard empires.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Shadowlyger posted:

The reason is "Micromanaging literally every planet that finds its way into your empire isn't fun".

Its not too bad late game, when you pretty much just build a bunch of buildings, wait until the thing tells you it's done, then queue all the upgrades

Lol if you aren't just doing mineral world / research world / food world / energy world because that results in minimal work

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Playstation 4 posted:

I'm pretty sure if much of anything in the last couple pages gets in I'm either gonna play Gestalts forever or mod it out.

But that's why any of this claptrap would work. If you add a few civics to existing non-Gestalts you can further enforce the unlikelihood of your empire fracturing.

Don't want to risk a psionic uprising? Don't take the stupid gambles in the shroud.
Don't want an AI rebellion? Give them rights or lobotomize them so hard its impossible.
Don't want a planet to seperate when the people there gene edit themselves to be superior to you in every way? Have a tighter grip on how you doll out genetic modification.
Don't want your regional governor to think they can go it alone without the empire? Keep boots on the ground when the stirring of unrest is alerted to you.
Don't want a regular rebellion? Take the police state civic for 10 years until your empire stabilizes then drop it when you can reform your government again*.

It all ultimately boils down to fodder for a midgame crisis that, and I'm going to make this abundantly clear here, isn't going to suddenly fire without any warning. Because an un-telegraphed "and then your empire sundered into pieces" is loving bullshit and has no narrative worth.

So ultimately what I'm suggesting? A mixture of choices and something in the veneer of the AI rebellion event leading to ways to reinvent your empire, not just have it fragment into smaller pieces. E: Oh, and it'd be a rarer thing. No one would want this to be a threat in every game. That'd also be dumb.

E: Basically PS4, I know how you play and you'd probably only let this happen if it'd promise to amuse you. :v:

*Governments that allow for chaos should absolutely have more influence gain to be able to clamp down on it hard or embrace it if they want to radically redesign their empire wholesale.

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Feb 7, 2018

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Playstation 4 posted:

Yeah, I think some of those people might be better served by a different franchise than Stellaris. The pop system isn't going anywhere. Random events where your empire you've spent tens of hours building split apart sound fine on paper (I guess...) but would actually suck and make people feel like their decisions don't really matter. Not that pops and politics couldn't stand some more refinement and new mechanics down the line, but a lot of these ideas are pretty wild and unrealistic. Stellaris is a game about taking all these sci-fi tropes that nerds in their 30s and 40s like me love from books and tv shows, and letting them knock around in a loose military, economic, and political simulator. I think the pre-patch lull is prompting a lot of this navel-gazing and we'll back to our regularly scheduled programming in 2 weeks.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
I know its not specifically aimed at me per say, but I'm going to beat the next goon with a copy of Bad Rats who thinks random events firing off and making your empire sunder is what is being suggested in this thread.

And if I'm reading it wrong and it is being suggested, let me throw my two pennies in for saying that idea would be loving horrible.

E: If these events fire, it would be a reaction to your choices so far. That's not random, that's consequences. Consequences that should come with plenty of ways to guide yourself away from empire collapse or to dive headfirst into it if you're feeling dangerous and want to take over the rising rebellion against yourself.

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Feb 7, 2018

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Shugojin posted:

Its not too bad late game, when you pretty much just build a bunch of buildings, wait until the thing tells you it's done, then queue all the upgrades

Lol if you aren't just doing mineral world / research world / food world / energy world because that results in minimal work

What if your one mineral planet gets occupied during a war?

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Shugojin posted:

I mean, that's exactly what I'm doing and the sector AI seemed to do it as well, so :shrug:

Minus food worlds because I was Assimilators.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I'm probably playing Stellaris wrong, but I always have a healthy amount of food and food surplus. Paying Marauders with food seems like a pretty cheap way to avoid being pillaged.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

And while I'm here, I would especially like to condemn the terrible idea that poster with the union jack avatar (can't remember his name) put forth, that international diplomacy be reduced to a dating game between the various heads of state, where all opinion bonuses and maluses be determined your choice of conversation topics during dinner and your decisions on how to split the bill afterwards. That guy has consistently bad ideas and ought to go straight to hell. Ok peace I'm outta here.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
an interstellar dating sim would loving own tho?

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

The Bramble posted:

And while I'm here, I would especially like to condemn the terrible idea that poster with the union jack avatar (can't remember his name) put forth, that international diplomacy be reduced to a dating game between the various heads of state, where all opinion bonuses and maluses be determined your choice of conversation topics during dinner and your decisions on how to split the bill afterwards. That guy has consistently bad ideas and ought to go straight to hell. Ok peace I'm outta here.

I mean poo poo, I wish I'd come up with this idea because it loving owns.

Just... not for Stellaris. :ssh:

E: Gotta flub a date hard enough to cause a war, because that's what your people want, except you actually like the person your trying to date! Oh no!

Meaningful choices!

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Feb 7, 2018

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

The Bramble posted:

that sounds loving amazing.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

The Bramble posted:

Yeah, I think some of those people might be better served by a different franchise than Stellaris. The pop system isn't going anywhere. Random events where your empire you've spent tens of hours building split apart sound fine on paper (I guess...) but would actually suck and make people feel like their decisions don't really matter. Not that pops and politics couldn't stand some more refinement and new mechanics down the line, but a lot of these ideas are pretty wild and unrealistic. Stellaris is a game about taking all these sci-fi tropes that nerds in their 30s and 40s like me love from books and tv shows, and letting them knock around in a loose military, economic, and political simulator. I think the pre-patch lull is prompting a lot of this navel-gazing and we'll back to our regularly scheduled programming in 2 weeks.

Except we've already got one of those empire splits in the game and not only is it not awful, it's actually really fun. We know paradox can make the mechanic good and engaging, because they've already done it.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I've pretty much understood this discussion as "why not use the AI uprising as a model for other internal politics crises?" and not "let random events destroy your empire" and I'm not sure where the latter came from as a possibility.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Thyrork posted:

I mean poo poo, I wish I'd come up with this idea because it loving owns.

Just... not for Stellaris. :ssh:

E: Gotta flub a date hard enough to cause a war, because that's what your people want, except you actually like the person your trying to date! Oh no!

Meaningful choices!

I legit think this would fit right in in something made by Hanako Games, probably a Long Live the Queen sequel.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

GunnerJ posted:

I've pretty much understood this discussion as "why not use the AI uprising as a model for other internal politics crises?" and not "let random events destroy your empire" and I'm not sure where the latter came from as a possibility.

If you're experienced at the game, you pretty have to deliberately court the AI uprising - for fun. Since you know what you doing, you can avoid the problem ever happening, and it's usually always going to be a better idea than the risks.

For empire splits to really matter they have to at some level be forced on the player. And for it to be a standard game mechanic, every empire needs to potentially suffer from empire splits, so you need to needs to be a dynamically generated thing or you are going to spend A LOT of time handcrafting and balancing event chains. Not that I'm opposed to that - the more events & anomalies Stellaris has, the better. But there are realistic constraints on accomplishing these things.

The other problem is that forcing empire splits as a 'midgame crisis' mechanic also leads to a fairly standard history for your empire - the same complaints people have about The Birth Of Space Piracy. I'd prefer a dynamic system, but dynamic systems circle you back to gameability and either punishing middling play/rarely happening with good play.

In general, ethoses should probably lead more directly to tradeoffs in gameplay, and they should be more explicit and more severe. For example, who really cares about the difference between Light and Heavy bombardment stances? If *any* bombardment were anathema to your factions, then you might actually consider tradeoffs between pissing off your factions and gameplay; in this case the bombardment policies would be None, Targeted, and Armageddon.

I would love to have that sort of tradeoff all over the game, so you might actually consider doing something your faction(s) oppose. Although you do end up with the 'ride the line' effect, where you meter your actions so you never actually suffer consequences. It's the same problem that generally makes tax sliders uninteresting in every game they're in.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

First look at Cherryh jump drives

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/961275203778170887

That's a big change, but I think I like it. It's a tactical decision that can let you bypass defenses or launch sneak attacks, rather than an always-on ability.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

I don't think there's any problem with an empire split mechanic that's relatively easy for the human player to avoid encountering. Empire splits on large AI opponents are very interesting in themselves, it doesn't have to happen to the player to be a valuable mechanic.

At the moment rebellions are generally just one or two systems that get immediately eaten by the original empire. Occasionally they offer an opportunity to snipe them as a vassal but otherwise they may as well not be there. Larger splits would be far more interesting.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
So I'm going to do my own empire splitting here and try and change the discussion.

I hate that the fleets are visible in Space! I think having the actual ship models up and flying around is super stupid looking, and probably causes a significant amount of the lag experienced as the game goes on.

I think a fleet should just be a 'Point' or 'Icon' of some type, and if you want to see all of your models and fleet's glory, you click into it and get a little 'window' viewer of that fleet.

Space Combat should be represented on the 'system map' as a single 'battle point' where the two fleet icons meet, and any of the modeling of the combat that needs to occur can happen 'off-map' in the 'window' viewer of the fleet.

A bonus to that would be, you could have that 'fleet window' open to watch the battle, and do other things in your empire.

I understand why Paradox chose to focus on the 'war' aspect for this expansion, but it really seems like 'war' is the only thing to do in this game. Beyond that, I don't think they really fixed war, but we'll see. I do like the changes in principle, as it will resolve the deathstack issue, but we'll see.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

ConfusedUs posted:

That's a big change, but I think I like it. It's a tactical decision that can let you bypass defenses or launch sneak attacks, rather than an always-on ability.

Only so good of a sneak attack if weapon damage is down 50% for 100 days though.

fantastic in plastic
Jun 15, 2007

The Socialist Workers Party's newspaper proved to be a tough sell to downtown businessmen.
Is there a way you can change your map color in the middle of a game? The two empires on my border both share the same color as the one I picked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

fantastic in plastic posted:

Is there a way you can change your map color in the middle of a game? The two empires on my border both share the same color as the one I picked.

In theory you could edit the save, but I don’t think there is any info out there on what you need to actually edit within the save file. I tried to figure it out a year or so ago but couldn’t, though I didn’t try super hard.

It remains a mystery why they haven’t made it so that two empires can’t share the same primary color. Screenshots of 2.0 show that this still hasn’t been fixed, although the use of secondary color for the border strip will make things a lot better.

• Locked thread