Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
You know, sometimes I play a little game with myself where I recast any given Japanese video game, anime, whatever, as an examination of Japanese fears of outside cultures.

Final Fantasy X is a story which starts in a land of peace, prosperity, technology, and leisure. Suddenly it is sneak-attacked by an outside land, via many many dropped weapons. A blond, loud, good-naturedly obnoxious sports-obsessed guy is then taken into that land, where he proceeds to help the very personification of yamato nadeshiko break both a cultural stagnation of 1000 years based on outdated, archaic practices which are specifically designed to hold that culture in stasis, and also the influence of his own culture in perpetuating that stagnation. Also, something something al bhed as burakumin.

That land then has to choose how to proceed, but also firmly decides that young female idol singers are a good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Cleretic posted:

Lightning I think will end up standing as the least liked protagonist in FF for a long time (unless XVI pulls some poo poo or Cecil goes on a racist rant), but it's not entirely her fault.

Are you basing this on anything or what

The only polls I could somewhat call relevant are this recent-ish one asking for KH characters where Lightning got almost as many votes as Noctis, this older poll by the official SE forums (or something?) where Lightning got favorite Female ff character, and this 2010 famitsu VG character poll where Lightning ranked yet most of the pre-FF7 protagonists did not. I saw some other poll result where Lightning was 5th for female FF protags from some japanese poll but I couldn't verify the source.

Now I don't want to just cherry pick polls all day and argue about what polls count or not, but at the very least I would say that doesn't not hold up with the idea of "Lightning is not liked". She's decently popular, sitting well among the other FF protagonists, and I don't get why some people keep trying to repeat the idea she's not. Idk if it's an american thing

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

TheCenturion posted:

You know, sometimes I play a little game with myself where I recast any given Japanese video game, anime, whatever, as an examination of Japanese fears of outside cultures.

Final Fantasy X is a story which starts in a land of peace, prosperity, technology, and leisure. Suddenly it is sneak-attacked by an outside land, via many many dropped weapons. A blond, loud, good-naturedly obnoxious sports-obsessed guy is then taken into that land, where he proceeds to help the very personification of yamato nadeshiko break both a cultural stagnation of 1000 years based on outdated, archaic practices which are specifically designed to hold that culture in stasis, and also the influence of his own culture in perpetuating that stagnation. Also, something something al bhed as burakumin.

That land then has to choose how to proceed, but also firmly decides that young female idol singers are a good idea.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Kinda want this as an AV

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Ventana posted:

Are you basing this on anything or what

The only polls I could somewhat call relevant are this recent-ish one asking for KH characters where Lightning got almost as many votes as Noctis, this older poll by the official SE forums (or something?) where Lightning got favorite Female ff character, and this 2010 famitsu VG character poll where Lightning ranked yet most of the pre-FF7 protagonists did not. I saw some other poll result where Lightning was 5th for female FF protags from some japanese poll but I couldn't verify the source.

Now I don't want to just cherry pick polls all day and argue about what polls count or not, but at the very least I would say that doesn't not hold up with the idea of "Lightning is not liked". She's decently popular, sitting well among the other FF protagonists, and I don't get why some people keep trying to repeat the idea she's not. Idk if it's an american thing

Lightning is a super popular FF protag and probably the most recognizable female lead the series has produced.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cleretic posted:

Lightning I think will end up standing as the least liked protagonist in FF for a long time (unless XVI pulls some poo poo or Cecil goes on a racist rant), but it's not entirely her fault. Almost everyone in XIII is bad, not just her, the fact she was crammed down our throats didn't go down well at all, and let's be real there's probably a bit of misogyny mixed in there too with her being the most undebatable female FF protagonist. I really hope that doesn't end up causing S-E to backlash against her type of character entirely, because I actually like her character design a lot and god damnit I want more lady-lead FFs, but I feel like S-E's not really the type to run screaming away from the superficial reasons why something is unpopular.

Lightning consistently does well on popularity rankings, especially in Japan, and Japan's opinion is really important even if maybe it shouldn't be. Even overseas though Lightning isn't particularly unpopular.

Like for all that some people hate FFXIII with a passion, it's honestly rarely something that translates over to Lightning herself. You see more strong opinions on Hope, Vanille or Snow.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Lightning is also the second cool protagonist in FF that is a woman (the first being Lady "I don't like your plan. I think it sucks!" Yuna) so she'll be forever popular.

Meow meow chocochow

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah Lightning and Noctis (and Gladiolus) have done consistently well enough to appear outside of the franchises in commercials for other things. They haven't really done that much of that outside of that one FFIX Coca-Cola commercial.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
That Lightning has popularity outside of Japan is kind of impressive when you remember most personality she had was removed in translation with almost surgical precision, and then you have Toriyama going on and on and on about how much she is his wife comparing her to roses and other absurdly dumb poo poo.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

ImpAtom posted:

Lightning consistently does well on popularity rankings, especially in Japan, and Japan's opinion is really important even if maybe it shouldn't be. Even overseas though Lightning isn't particularly unpopular.

Like for all that some people hate FFXIII with a passion, it's honestly rarely something that translates over to Lightning herself. You see more strong opinions on Hope, Vanille or Snow.

I feel that Lightning was failed by the self-serious supporting cast in FFXIII and was a lot more interesting playing the straight man in kooksville ala LR.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Lightning is also the second cool protagonist in FF that is a woman (the first being Lady "I don't like your plan. I think it sucks!" Yuna) so she'll be forever popular.

Wouldn’t the first be Terra?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dragonatrix posted:

That Lightning has popularity outside of Japan is kind of impressive when you remember most personality she had was removed in translation with almost surgical precision, and then you have Toriyama going on and on and on about how much she is his wife comparing her to roses and other absurdly dumb poo poo.

To be fair like 70% of FF's fanbase probably thinks Toriyama is the guy who made Dragonball if they recognize the name at all.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Lightning is bae

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Avalerion posted:

Wouldn’t the first be Terra?

Terra sucks.Celes is mediocre but that's because she doesn't actually get that much characterization or arc once you start actively controlling her as the main character because they shift to a series of disconnected, non-essential vignettes so writing character interactions and moments that filled the World of Balance would have been too difficult considering the possible variations of who you could have when and where. FF6 post floating continent is a let down compared to the first half of the game saved by a fantastic final dungeon/bosses and a few of the vignettes being good enough.

The WoR is a cool idea executed kind of poorly since it shifts this ensemble cast and story to a series of discrete and separate events so there's very little There There character interaction wise when the better part of the game till that point are those character interaction bits, like Sabin and Cyan trying to figure out what Gau's deal was. It'd have been a much better game if they just handled the events like the last time the party was forced to split up since you'd get the best of both worlds in that regard. Hell it'd even play into the final dungeon design if you grouped them into separate parties that make their way to the tower because the tower makes you do that anyway!

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Not an emptyquote

Brave New World is fun but beware, it does add some super cringey dialogue and it gets to be kind of a grind from WoR on.

This was why I was hesitant to try it.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Noctone posted:

Lightning is bae

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Dragonatrix posted:

Tbh I think Lightning is still pretty cool just from her battle lines and stuff, it's just the cutscenes where they gave weird direction for Ali Hillis (who, otherwise, can do a great job as a VA)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I'm here for the steak.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Lightning's a badass woman of action who punches Snow twice, of course people like her.

I mean, people would probably like Hope more if he actually followed through and murdered Snow.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

Dragonatrix posted:

What was her personality like in the original? Because as ridiculously one-note "I'm a strong woman and a soldier, hmph!" as she is, this will never not be an awesome moment for a Final Fantasy hero

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLKSFPrD_Tk&t=28s

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Avalerion posted:

And it’s like 20+ games by now. Top of my head I can’t think of any other franchise with that many entries, but would bet on fire emblem or dragon quest as runner ups.

atelier

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
If you don't count remakes, Final Fantasy has 80ish games and spinoffs. There's a fuckton of Chocobo games.

Pokemon has over 120, not combining generations (i.e. red and blue are counted separately), but this also counts all the weird Tyco handheld types and stuff too. The Mega Man series is close to this.

Mario has over 250 games he's been in, most of which he stars in, this includes the Donkey Kong games. So yeah, there's your winner.

Nice. Someone should do this with Sephiroth's summon.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
IIRC she's supposed to be angrier and have access to a time machine in the Japanese version. Then again the English version seems more like she's just quietly seething and using everything she has not to beat the everloving poo poo out of her party members at any and all times until after PalomPorom.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=in9fg7Vhmw0

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Insider sources inside Square-Enix Toriyama has revealed one of the key details of his new in the works light novella featuring Lightning getting married to a Japanese dude who looks like Toriyama is that Cid is actually an acronym, it stands for "Caius in disguise", and it means that Caius Ballad is actually all Cids throughout the series, endlessly reincarnated after the events of FFXIII-3. This is part of an ongoing campaign for Toriyama to revolve the entire Final Fantasy series around his waifu. Cid who blows himself up? Caius. Cid who beats his wife? Caius. Cid who creates an invincible bioweapon and enters into a pact with a space dragon god after his wife got killed by his corrupt government into using the fighting energy of kidnapped warriors from across time and space to power up his invincible bioweapon and also the space dragon god? Caius. Cid who fixes cars and is somehow okay with his granddaughter dressing up as a tramp? Yep, Caius.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Gologle posted:

Cid who creates an invincible bioweapon and enters into a pact with a space dragon god after his wife got killed by his corrupt government into using the fighting energy of kidnapped warriors from across time and space to power up his invincible bioweapon and also the space dragon god? Caius.
uh excuse me Drakengard is not in the FF universe (yet) :eng101:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

DACK FAYDEN posted:

uh excuse me Drakengard is not in the FF universe (yet) :eng101:
If it's not then why are there FF15 references in Automata? :colbert:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Mega64 posted:

Lightning's a badass woman of action who punches Snow twice, of course people like her.

I mean, people would probably like Hope more if he actually followed through and murdered Snow.

Hope sucks. The Hope/Snow thing is like "what if we took the Vaan/Basch dynamic but drug it out over ten hours and made it way more pathetic???"

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Actually I'd say Hope/Snow is better than Vaan/Basch because FF13 at least tries to give some weight to it (Even if it fails), and FF12 just kind of shrugs it off early on.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Raxivace posted:

If it's not then why are there FF15 references in Automata? :colbert:
All right, you asked for it.

Automata has two of those weapons, FFXV and generic Dragon Quest Cypress Stick.
And it's set in the same world as original Nier, which is an alternate parallel Earth distinct from Drakengard's Earth-but-south-is-"up"-on-the-map.

So the Drakengard multiverse is Earth (Drakengard), Earth (Nier), Earth (Lightning Returns), unknown Dragon Quest world (probably the DQ1/2/3 world given that it was the Cypress Stick specifically), and FFXV world. (Plus whatever else is in it we don't know about - I think the unresolved plot threads are the origin of Cathedral City and where Accord is from. Plus space aliens. Plus I guess Nier Earth could technically also be Lightning Returns Earth.)

summary: nier takes place in paris and kaine is lightning

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
Doesn’t Nier take place in Post Apocalypse Tokyo?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

quote:

A fan attendance described Cloud’s new design as a more natural look. Nomura and Hamaguchi mentioned that “while Cloud may look this way, he was a dork. I believe those of you who played the the original would understand what I mean by saying he’s a dorky character.” That said, we’ll see more of the youthful side of Cloud rather than the always-serious one we’ve seen more outside of the original game."

im glad they ermembered the plot of ff7

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cephas posted:

What was her personality like in the original? Because as ridiculously one-note "I'm a strong woman and a soldier, hmph!" as she is, this will never not be an awesome moment for a Final Fantasy hero

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLKSFPrD_Tk&t=28s

Lightning's thing is that she's actually extremely emotional and easily pissed off and gets angry quickly and spends a lot of her time trying to remain in control. She isn't cool and collected, she's like five seconds away from punching someone the gently caress out at any given time and barely keeping that in check. The translation basically conveys this poorly and ends up making her seem stoic and cold. This hurts a lot of things because it changes how her response to various events comes off. She's extremely driven and focused and prone to explosive action. (Which is why she's named Lightning because on-the-nose-naming.)

All of her plots and character beats rely around this. She makes a lot of mistakes because she's rash and quick to anger. Almost everything she does involves that as well. It's why her plot in Lightning Returns involves having her emotions stolen and when that happens they're so strong they literally become a separate character.

The English translation makes her look a lot more stoic and serious and cold. The voice acting direction makes her sound sulky or bored where Maaya Sakamoto's voice is more like five seconds away from telling you to go gently caress yourself and trying to be polite about it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

people compare lightning to cloud but shes a lot more like barret in terms of personality in the japanese version, send tweet.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Lightning's thing is that she's actually extremely emotional and easily pissed off and gets angry quickly and spends a lot of her time trying to remain in control. She isn't cool and collected, she's like five seconds away from punching someone the gently caress out at any given time and barely keeping that in check. The translation basically conveys this poorly and ends up making her seem stoic and cold. This hurts a lot of things because it changes how her response to various events comes off. She's extremely driven and focused and prone to explosive action. (Which is why she's named Lightning because on-the-nose-naming.)

All of her plots and character beats rely around this. She makes a lot of mistakes because she's rash and quick to anger. Almost everything she does involves that as well. It's why her plot in Lightning Returns involves having her emotions stolen and when that happens they're so strong they literally become a separate character.

The English translation makes her look a lot more stoic and serious and cold. The voice acting direction makes her sound sulky or bored where Maaya Sakamoto's voice is more like five seconds away from telling you to go gently caress yourself and trying to be polite about it.

If I could get this translation I’d give FFXIII another go. Makes her sound way more interesting.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Morby posted:

If I could get this translation I’d give FFXIII another go. Makes her sound way more interesting.

I mean it's FFXIII so her plot still ends up kind of fizzling. I'm not trying to say she's secretly a fantastic character or anything but that she comes off as having more of a personality instead of being sulky sadface. Which is honestly what happened to Cloud post-FF7 too.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Morby posted:

Absolutely. If that would have been in the FFXIII I played, it would have made up for the rest of the game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

FF13 has a lot more structural problems than just Lightning's voice direction. For example, everything else about the story.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

i am tim! posted:

Doesn’t Nier take place in Post Apocalypse Tokyo?
Yep. Drakengard Earth is Earth with magic and dragons since... forever, or at least well before the Middle Ages. Nier Earth is "real" Earth, but Drakengard Earth opened up a magic portal in like 2020 and a dragon and a monster came out and had a fight in the skies over Tokyo and they tracked in magic particles that infected the world like a plague and that led to the apocalypse and all that. And then Automata takes place thousands of years later in the same world.

Which is why I presume it's not Lightning Returns Earth. Much like Gogo is not Adlai Stevenson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

wow rude