Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Alpha Mayo posted:

my account
:siren: poop touched! :siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

banning durians makes sense because those things smell like a month old diaper pail but I don't get why you'd ban mangosteens unless you just don't like lowtax and you're super passive agressive about it

Already touched on, but from what I have read stains from mangosteen juice are very difficult to remove.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
I live in Minnesota and it gets cold in my apartment. Is clicking Nicehash's "Start" button when I'm at my computer and cold Stupid, Less Stupid, or Not Stupid? (1080ti)

Dollars spent on hardware I wouldn't have spent anyway: 0
Dollars spent on buttcoins: 0

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
its a heater that breaks even or better instead of costing money. Sounds smart to me.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Would you run an electric space heater if your computer wasn't warming the room? It's cheaper than an electric space heater but more expensive than any other type of heat you might have. Actually with a 1080 ti you're still profitable, but in the range of 20 dollars for 2 weeks, 10 dollars a day is gone now.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Yeah - if you would be running a heater anyway and the income from mining is more than the cost of electricity then it's a straightforward decision to run what is effectively a free heater, but both of those factors are important to consider since computers are relatively costly heat sources compared to something like centralized heat pumps or natural gas heaters.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Feb 7, 2018

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Almost everywhere using electricity to heat things is the least efficient and most expensive option. Double bad points if your electricity comes from coal.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
https://youtu.be/6KsvOkILh4k

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Eletriarnation posted:

Yeah - if you would be running a heater anyway and the income from mining is more than the cost of electricity then it's a straightforward decision to run what is effectively a free heater, but both of those factors are important to consider since computers are relatively costly heat sources compared to something like centralized heat pumps or natural gas heaters.

As craig588 pointed out, this is only going to be true if your primary source of heat is electrical. And even then a space heater is going to be a lot more efficient at converting power into heat, but with the downside of not rewarding you with tokens that other people are willing to buy from you, so the economic advantage of mining shrinks when the markets are down

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

did you...

wait what did you do

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

QuarkJets posted:

As craig588 pointed out, this is only going to be true if your primary source of heat is electrical. And even then a space heater is going to be a lot more efficient at converting power into heat, but with the downside of not rewarding you with tokens that other people are willing to buy from you, so the economic advantage of mining shrinks when the markets are down

PC's are actually as efficient as electric space heaters

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Gaming-PC-vs-Space-Heater-Efficiency-511/#Conclusion

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Basic thermodynamics could tell you the same thing. Energy is not created or destroyed, every watt consumed by any electronic device is going to be converted to some other form of energy, and that's going to mostly be light, sound, motion, or heat. Any light, sound, or motion also mostly turn into heat afterwards as well.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

lmbo, jesus christ. Hey, everyone. Watch this before he pulls it.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Well yeah, when you design a PC specifically to have the same power draw as a space heater then of course the PC is going to look like the equivalently-rated space heater. From the experimental setup:

quote:

The space heater we used was a $25 HC-0114T 1000/1500W space heater that can be found under various brand names. When we measured the power draw, we found that on the low setting it pulled 870-890 watts depending on how hot the heater was. This is a lot of power and we ended up needing a gaming PC with three NVIDIA GTX Titans in triple SLI running Furmark to match the power draw.

I don't think that the OP's system looks much like the system in this experiment. Granted, heat is still heat, but if you want to heat a room quickly then a space heater is going to be more effective at that until you reach the several-GPUs in a milk crate level of mining

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Feb 7, 2018

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

QuarkJets posted:

Well yeah, when you design a PC specifically to have the same power draw as a space heater then of course the PC is going to look like the equivalently-rated space heater. From the experimental setup:

I don't think that the OP's system looks much like the system in this experiment. Granted, heat is still heat, but if you want to heat a room quickly then a space heater is going to be more effective at that until you reach the several-GPUs in a milk crate level of mining

We were talking about efficiency, not effectiveness. They only built it up that much to match the wattage. If it had a GTX1030 it would still be as efficient.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Don Lapre posted:

We were talking about efficiency, not effectiveness. They only built it up that much to match the wattage. If it had a GTX1030 it would still be as efficient.

Then why did you post an article about effectiveness?

The efficiency angle comes from most people not running space heaters 24/7

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA
Natural Gas heating is about 3x more effective cost per thermal unit than electric. So if you need to heat your home in the winter, as long as the value per coin is more than 3x your electricity cost, you're making money turning your gaming rig into a very convoluted and complex space heater.

Unless you're a loss leader in the mining world, you're gonna save money by buttcoin mining with your gaming rig. That or you're in a part of the world where you need to pay to cool poo poo down, in which case you're losing twice.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Peachfart posted:

i only pull babes bud

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

QuarkJets posted:

Then why did you post an article about effectiveness?

I didn't?

Someone said "And even then a space heater is going to be a lot more efficient at converting power into heat"

I posted an article showing a gaming pc was AS efficient as a space heater at converting power into heat, as apposed to less efficient.

The whole point of the article I linked is to show that a gaming PC puts out the same amount of heat as a space heater of the same power draw.

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Feb 7, 2018

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Don Lapre posted:

I didn't?

Someone said "And even then a space heater is going to be a lot more efficient at converting power into heat"

I posted an article showing a gaming pc was AS efficient as a space heater at converting power into heat, as apposed to less efficient.

That article features this chart of Change in Temperature vs Time:

You criticism that this is measuring effectiveness, not efficiency, is totally valid. I agree with you. But the article doesn't measure or show anything else. If you want to talk about efficiency only, then the area under the curves basically look the same, like you'd expect.

This was my actual point:

QuarkJets posted:

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Feb 7, 2018

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Peachfart posted:

...What the gently caress is this

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

PerrineClostermann posted:

...What the gently caress is this

It is ignorients being ironic being totally serious

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Alpha Mayo posted:

People talk about Coinbase gift cards but I don't see them in my account, am I missing something?
Coinbase doesn't have them, supposedly you need to use Gyft where you can pay from a wallet but I didn't see the buttcoin option in the payment methods and now I'm stuck in a horrific loop where they insist that I change the password on every login attempt so I can't get back in. At least coins seem to be recovering somewhat in the meantime while I'm dicking around with this :getin:

E: You need to buy Gyft credit with coinbase first, which can then in turn be used for Amazon/ebay etc cards. I now can't do that because I had to use VPN to sign up for Gyft but Coinbase freaks out and requires special authorization for the new computer and I guess I messed that process up and have to wait 24 hours. Fuuuck. Do these developers assume people never travel?

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Feb 7, 2018

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

I mean, they design these systems for buttcoiners who move so little from their buttminers that they get heat strokes, so...

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Natural Gas heating is about 3x more effective cost per thermal unit than electric. So if you need to heat your home in the winter, as long as the value per coin is more than 3x your electricity cost, you're making money turning your gaming rig into a very convoluted and complex space heater.

Unless you're a loss leader in the mining world, you're gonna save money by buttcoin mining with your gaming rig. That or you're in a part of the world where you need to pay to cool poo poo down, in which case you're losing twice.

The coins you mine could be worth less than the cost of electricity to mine them, while still being cheaper than natural gas.

If the coins were worth just as much as the electricity to mine them, you'd be getting free heat. Unless natural gas is free as well, it can't be that cheap.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Zero VGS posted:

It is ignorients being ironic being totally serious

tbf I hate that loving computer cause its like a heat tomb

but yes I am 100% serious. I'm going to be putting out videos every hour that im home because i never realized how easy that was so like, subscribe, and visit my patreon please

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

ohgodwhat posted:

The coins you mine could be worth less than the cost of electricity to mine them, while still being cheaper than natural gas.

If the coins were worth just as much as the electricity to mine them, you'd be getting free heat. Unless natural gas is free as well, it can't be that cheap.

It's 2-3 times as expensive to heat with electric in most places, even if you have super-cheap electric (the second comparison is with 0.06c/kWh)

http://www.erpud.com/comparison.htm

http://www.centerpointenergy.com/en-us/Services/Pages/natural-gas-electricity-cost-comparison.aspx?sa=MN&au=bus

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
1gnoirents over in the green thread they gave a name for your investment strategy it's "picking up nickels in front of a steamroller"

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Davorcoin exited

https://medium.com/@davorcoin/important-announcement-about-the-davor-project-257ea8516db9

Paying people out in davcoin that is worthless.

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Feb 7, 2018

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Paul MaudDib posted:

It's 2-3 times as expensive to heat with electric in most places, even if you have super-cheap electric (the second comparison is with 0.06c/kWh)

http://www.erpud.com/comparison.htm

http://www.centerpointenergy.com/en-us/Services/Pages/natural-gas-electricity-cost-comparison.aspx?sa=MN&au=bus

But you're not heating with just electric heaters, you're heating with buttmining. Buttmining is "free" as long as the mining income exceeds the electrical cost. In the winter, this reduces the workload on your gas heater but "doesn't cost" anything as long as the buttmining is profitable. Buttmining is a fun word, incidentally.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Dren posted:

1gnoirents over in the green thread they gave a name for your investment strategy it's "picking up nickels in front of a steamroller"

Lol I like it

edit: On a more serious note finally, is anybody seeing a lot of "benchmark failed" issues with Nicehash recently? I cant even figure out which ones its complaining about but it does seem to interfere with mining sometimes. It spans all my machines and cards and I can't find a common thread. Particularly it can stop it from auto-starting or sometimes it just stops the GPU outright. I'm having to babysit a lot more and its kind of a pain as I remote in for most of it. And on that topic, Teamviewer flagged me as commercial use, has that happened to anybody here? I'm using VNC as an alternative but its limited to 5 machines registered which is an issue for me. I've been depending on Chrome Remote desktop a lot more recently which SUCKS

1gnoirents fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Feb 7, 2018

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
Well you're getting "paid" so that's commercial use for team viewer.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

necrotic posted:

Well you're getting "paid" so that's commercial use for team viewer.

Yeah I get it in a loose sense, but they offer no reasonable personal license options whatsoever. It shouldnt qualify because it is definitely not a commercial use but I understand the grey area. I'm not going to try and circumvent it and VNC is just as good in terms of usability, but their cap is putting a strain on me and they have no reasonable pricing option either for my purposes. I wish Chrome remote desktop worked better but I get a "dead project" feel for that.

All of this wouldnt be a big concern if Nicehash wasn't causing problems though, which is my real issue.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

1gnoirents posted:

Yeah I get it in a loose sense, but they offer no reasonable personal license options whatsoever. It shouldnt qualify because it is definitely not a commercial use but I understand the grey area. I'm not going to try and circumvent it and VNC is just as good in terms of usability, but their cap is putting a strain on me and they have no reasonable pricing option either for my purposes. I wish Chrome remote desktop worked better but I get a "dead project" feel for that.

All of this wouldnt be a big concern if Nicehash wasn't causing problems though, which is my real issue.

Chrome Remote Desktop still works really well, also they recently updated it to work in the Chrome browser: https://remotedesktop.google.com/

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
about the only way to get around TV's bullshit is to run it in a VM, then reload the VM when it decides to gently caress you again.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Zero VGS posted:

Chrome Remote Desktop still works really well, also they recently updated it to work in the Chrome browser: https://remotedesktop.google.com/

I have a couple issues with Chrome remote desktop. Its Windows 10 support is almost broken (things like they havent coded it so Windows doesnt assume Tablet mode, which removes your cursor a lot of the time), the computer list is wrong at least half the time for me even on the same physical network, it has a lot of missing "send command" pass through stuff, I've never gotten the phone viewer to work right at all, it drops connections at a disproportionate rate to others, and it basically doesnt work through firewalls. I say basically because it does work sometimes, but pulling a figure out of my rear end I'd say 90% of the time it refuses connection through a (physical) firewall. I dont get that at all as I feel it should work or not work, and other clients have no issue riding port 80. And one of the biggest issues of all: it does not reliably start up at the login screen. Also to get nitpicky it has no support for wake on LAN.

The upside is there are no limits and its free and lightweight. I've used it as a backup remote viewer for a long time now and its been great for that but using it as a primary remote viewer has strained its capabilities. Maybe I've been unlucky.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

1gnoirents posted:

VNC is just as good in terms of usability, but their cap is putting a strain on me and they have no reasonable pricing option either for my purposes.

vnc is an open source project with a million implementations, who are you even talking about? pick a free one dummy

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

1gnoirents posted:

Lol I like it

edit: On a more serious note finally, is anybody seeing a lot of "benchmark failed" issues with Nicehash recently? I cant even figure out which ones its complaining about but it does seem to interfere with mining sometimes. It spans all my machines and cards and I can't find a common thread. Particularly it can stop it from auto-starting or sometimes it just stops the GPU outright. I'm having to babysit a lot more and its kind of a pain as I remote in for most of it. And on that topic, Teamviewer flagged me as commercial use, has that happened to anybody here? I'm using VNC as an alternative but its limited to 5 machines registered which is an issue for me. I've been depending on Chrome Remote desktop a lot more recently which SUCKS

I had TV flag me for connecting to machines on my second network for days at a time (I was lazy when setting up new VMs). I switched to AnyDesk which is basically the same thing for remote access and have been using iTALC which is a multi-vnc viewing thing for watching VMs on my LAN(s) from a couple of mini pcs. iTALC is made for classrooms so a teacher can watch the student PCs but it's good for keeping an eye on your VMs or whatever if they're on the same LAN. I did the teamviewer "I wasn't using this commercially I swear" form on their website and they reset me to free/personal use but I've been using it for years without this coming up before so I figure they're trying to crack down on the free version, hence the changeover to Anydesk.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
Yeah just search free vnc. I don't know history of security issues or anything but if you're mining crypto I doubt you care much. TightVNC is free as heck, just use that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high

1gnoirents posted:

Lol I like it

Try MeshCentral its free

• Locked thread