Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
I came here to post this, goddamn hive mind is real

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
Star Man is in the Sun Chips Place, now.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Busto finally made it to the Sun chips place.

Edit: dammit.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/Waffleman_/status/961256903790743553

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Man!! It sucks how much good stuff is now retroactively a bummer now!!

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

kidcoelacanth posted:

Man!! It sucks how much good stuff is now retroactively a bummer now!!

Only if you choose to think of it as such? I'm trying to go through my backlog of Cool Games Inc and I find myself enjoying it in spite of Nick's garbage-human status. It's possible to enjoy media by a problematic creator/collaborator on its own merits, and I never did agree with a catch-all Bury It In Concrete approach to dealing with scandal.

That said I can't enjoy a Kevin Spacey movie the same way ever again, and lord have I tried, because there is a personal limit to my ability to separate media from man, so I do get it if your personal limit includes Nick and I don't want this to be taken as disparaging in any way.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
He cooked for Cube, and was found lacking

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I personally don't care about the Nick thing because focusing on one person when there are millions of people just like him seems like a disproportionate amount of energy.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I can clearly separate my lack of support for Nick from my enjoyment of CGI, Car Boys, and Touch the Skyrim. He was fired and it's Polygon content, he's not making any money from the content.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
I could maybe go back and enjoy CarBoys sometime, but Touch the Skyrim had so many sex mods that I don't think I would ever enjoy hearing Nick joke about them.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

Zutaten posted:

That said I can't enjoy a Kevin Spacey movie the same way ever again, and lord have I tried, because there is a personal limit to my ability to separate media from man, so I do get it if your personal limit includes Nick and I don't want this to be taken as disparaging in any way.
I mean there's a bit of a difference between the creepy poo poo each of them did. I'm not excusing Nick's gross behavior, but as far as I know he didn't actually assault anyone.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

creationist believer posted:

I could maybe go back and enjoy CarBoys sometime, but Touch the Skyrim had so many sex mods that I don't think I would ever enjoy hearing Nick joke about them.

Well I think only Susan Crushbone had the sex mods. Bonedawg would be fine.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I was glad when touch the Skyrim got away from horny mods, but I did kind of want to know what sex with sagness jambone would look like

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
IIRC, TtS 1.0 is entirely free of sex mods. I still have a place in my heart for Car Boys despite Nick, and luckily Let's Go to Hell never really grabbed my interest after PISS got the record in Monkey Ball. I'll probably not watch anything Nick might manage to do in the future, because he needs someone funny to work with to be funny himself, but i'm not going to let his creepy DMs diminish my enjoyment of previous works of people I like that he just happens to be featured in. If I had to stop watching Nick stuff, I'd never be able to watch their Quiplash play where Nick gets repeatedly and consistently owned by everyone, but especially Simone.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I ate my dad, I'll eat your dad, gently caress you.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

SpacePig posted:

IIRC, TtS 1.0 is entirely free of sex mods. I still have a place in my heart for Car Boys despite Nick, and luckily Let's Go to Hell never really grabbed my interest after PISS got the record in Monkey Ball. I'll probably not watch anything Nick might manage to do in the future, because he needs someone funny to work with to be funny himself, but i'm not going to let his creepy DMs diminish my enjoyment of previous works of people I like that he just happens to be featured in. If I had to stop watching Nick stuff, I'd never be able to watch their Quiplash play where Nick gets repeatedly and consistently owned by everyone, but especially Simone.

TTS didn’t get horny until 2.0, yeah, but boy did it go all in

I think it was all griffin driving it though so you can’t even blame Nick for that

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
dropping in to say in the latest awful squad Travis was so intolerable, Russ looked like a superstar.

Thank travis for travis and all that good stuff but holy hell, how can he not hear himself sometimes and shut himself up in despair. He came on to the stream admitting he was completely childish and awful and the worst, but was proud to do it anyway.

dont @ me

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I don't like this thread's latest story arc

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I just made another try at the Amnesty arc and failed hard. By Episode 2 he promised us the characters would get together, and then he *still* did lengthy two-man scenes. I bailed at 38 minutes.

Griffin, please please trust your improv partners and let them all interact and build a story. Your narrating a story and allowing gaps for one person to respond is not nearly as fun for the listeners. Bah.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
Amnesty isn't really grabbing me yeah. I hope they either go with commitment or justin's arc. Yeah that's right I haven't even heard it yet and I'm saying this what up

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Don't count out Travis. TAZ Knights is pretty good except for the episode or less a year release schedule.

With any luck, running a new system won't throw him too far off balance for his western.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I like the idea of a more straight up western but apparently it’s going to have vampires and werewolves and that has me a bit less interested. I guess there has to be some fantastical element to make it more entertaining but that seems like such a default, boring type of twist on the setting.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Colonel Whitey posted:

I like the idea of a more straight up western but apparently it’s going to have vampires and werewolves and that has me a bit less interested. I guess there has to be some fantastical element to make it more entertaining but that seems like such a default, boring type of twist on the setting.

Have they said for sure whether Justin will be using the Dresden Files RPG for his, or is that still up in the air? Because I think that has mystical and mythical elements built into it as well.

One thing I like at least is that they're all vaguely contemporary settings rather than medieval fantasy or futuristic sci-fi. All of the settings are basically right up my alley, and I'm excited to hear them regardless.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Griffin just needs to write a goddamn book.
I love and cherish him but GODDAMN he doesn't want to let go of the spotlight.

I'm personally frusterated because he's acting like I did when I first tried to GM.
I thought the most important thing was to illustrate interesting scenes and write THE BEST npcs for my players to interact with.
Y'know, instead of giving the players a framework and letting them play jn the sandbox.

Then again, I was also 13.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I like that we're back on this the day after I start going through the backlog of Amnesty because the thread had given me pause about it. Let me give it a chance!

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
One of my biggest concerns in trying to put together my first campaign is that I'll hamstring my players too much and make it unfun for them. I don't explicitly hate what Griffin does as a listener, but I can see it being sort of frustrating as a player, and I want to avoid it. I think Clint did that pretty well, and I feel like Justin will probably have a decent time of it, too. Travis' first go was a literal series of hallways with puzzles in them, so I don't know what to expect from him.

Waffleman_ posted:

I like that we're back on this the day after I start going through the backlog of Amnesty because the thread had given me pause about it. Let me give it a chance!

Give it a go for sure, I actually think Duck and Ned are and could continue to be a lot of fun. Just don't expect anything different from Griffin in terms of his GM style.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Inzombiac posted:

Griffin just needs to write a goddamn book.
I love and cherish him but GODDAMN he doesn't want to let go of the spotlight.

Not emptyquoting.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, I'm halfway through episode 2, and it's fine, but....man, I'm getting sick of Griffo's GM style. And I was trying to defend it through the end of Balance.

I'm generally of the opinion that as long as your players are having fun, you're at least doing a decent job as a GM, but if you're two sessions in and your characters have not met, and there is no real sense of what the game is ABOUT, there are issues that need to be addressed.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

What Griffin is doing now worked much better at the end of Balance since there was already a story in place and progress needed to be made through it. Now he's doing the same thing, but at the beginning of the thing, and it just doesn't work as well. I like Amnesty. The PCs are good, and the story is OK, but I have to agree that I need a break from Griffin as DM. On the other side of that coin is that I'm anxious to see more of what he can do as a player.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

SpacePig posted:

Have they said for sure whether Justin will be using the Dresden Files RPG for his, or is that still up in the air? Because I think that has mystical and mythical elements built into it as well.

One thing I like at least is that they're all vaguely contemporary settings rather than medieval fantasy or futuristic sci-fi. All of the settings are basically right up my alley, and I'm excited to hear them regardless.

I don't think it's confirmed Justin's even doing a game. I know the detective is in the new art, but Griffin said in the last episode that there would be "another one or two experimental arcs" before they settle on one. So it sounds like they're giving him the chance to go last to get his stuff together, but they may just go ahead and choose a new campaign if he doesn't.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Justin is the only McElroy who isn't wearing thin right now

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
Justin creates the best player characters. I really want to get more interactions from both Irene/Kardala and Duck. Then again if he's the GM, maybe all the NPCs would be that great.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
I'm sticking with Amnesty mainly for Duck and Ned at this point. Everything Justin and Clint are doing is both funny and grounded in actual character development.

I went from mild annoyance to total dislike for Aubrey with the whole carrot thing coupled with "We can't call them abominations!" Ugh.

I was okay with the characters not meeting for awhile but reflecting back, not much actually happened over that time, and now we're jumping into a final boss fight that feels unearned. I'll take Griffin's word for it that this is due to the PBtA system, but the whole "make up your own showdown" is pretty silly.

Edit: I guess I'll add to the chorus that this seems less like actual role-playing and more Griffin's Telltale game entry. I felt this way going back to the second half of Balance, honestly.

Laterite fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Feb 7, 2018

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Travis and Griffin just seem to be taking things way more seriously than Justin and Clint and it very much shows.

Also the characters not meeting is absolutely not due to the PbtA system. In most PbtA systems, you discuss how the characters met before the game even begins.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I wish Clint were a little bit more confident in his roleplaying, though. I don't know if it's because it's Griffin, or because it's an unfamiliar system, but he's playing Ned kinda lame at times. He has the potential to be so much better, and I hope he finds it if they stick with Amnesty.

This is the first time that Travis has actually started to grate on me a bit. I'm not a Travis hater or anything, and it's really hard to describe what's bothering me about him since he's still arguably funny. I guess I just don't think his character is interesting or funny, and he very obviously does.

e: Like, Clint accidentally made goddamn Grunkle Stan, one of my favorite cartoon characters of the last decade, and he's playing him like Toby Determined or something.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

General Dog posted:

Justin is the only McElroy who isn't wearing thin right now

If you genuinely feel this way, I highly recommend taking a break for a while! Burning out on something you like super sucks, and if you come back in a year or so and find out you've grown past it, at least you didn't have to slog through it in the meantime.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Waffleman_ posted:

Also the characters not meeting is absolutely not due to the PbtA system. In most PbtA systems, you discuss how the characters met before the game even begins.

Sorry, I didn't word that very well. I understand the character separation was a story choice, but Griffin leading everyone into a corner then saying, "Eh, it's up to you to finish, because PBTA" is weird.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I suggest, for every episode of TAZ, listen to an episode of Dragon Friends.

In DF, the GM is more of a suggestion.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Laterite posted:

Sorry, I didn't word that very well. I understand the character separation was a story choice, but Griffin leading everyone into a corner then saying, "Eh, it's up to you to finish, because PBTA" is weird.

this is definitely a "Griffin doesn't actually understand the system he's running" foible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
Part of me still wishes the monster of the week set up was more akin to magical girls or sentai than Buffy but whatchu gonna do? I bet it could be pretty easily adapted to those though.