Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Xaris posted:

i can wrap my head around people believing a lot of dumb poo poo like jesus created all humans q.e.d. or even hollow earth and reptilian people, or chemtrails, or vaccine autism, or whatever, but my brain cannot process someone believing flatearth. its just one big blank going ok no way but what about x, and y, and z, how.. how could they evne think that? aaaaaaa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/MannyNoFi/status/960255317152972801

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
I'm really tired of this timeline

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Schadenboner posted:

Is the planet on which this simulation is hosted round or flat?

E: Also, how does the tap water there taste?

well a lot of them think that the real other planets out there (not the fake ones you see inside the set/simulation!!) are round, some think everything's on a flat plane etc

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

would love to see anyone on their board try to survive for a year using their own website

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

if only they had

yes the Bradley was a mess but so was every contemporary. humvees are almost impossibly fragile and their frames rust out even in desert conditions. m1 Abrams have to be deployed with 2 or 3 spare turbine engines because they fail constantly and are not field repairable.

ironically the revised Bradleys have proven to be a godsend because the m1is so useless as a tank. its exhaust is so hot it cannot be used in infantry support. it’s too heavy to cross bridges. it’s too wide to enter urban areas. it has so little fuel range that it cannot pursue other tanks

in short just about every dollar spent on military development programs is a dollar wasted

maybe the jsf/f35 fiasco saved us from having three or four individual fiascos

Edit: it’s not just ground vehicles, or planes. it’s boats, subs, tanks, satellites, ships, jets, guns, spaceships. we cannot seem to develop ANY new weapons system successfully and it is getting really expensive to fail in new and hilarious ways

new defense projects are the clean-slate no-baggage from-the-ground-up rewrites of the MIC

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
it's what happens in defense when your feedback loop "your poo poo hardware gets enough people killed that the appropriations committee pulls your funding" piece breaks

hardware gets worse and worse with more and more overhead because there's simply no accountability

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/ByRosenberg/status/961332364558266368

lmao

also big lols at the pearl clutching about grade separating rail crossings (that are going to eventually be straightup required for that leg of the high speed rail line):

For David Shen, grade separation was a cause of concern. He was one of several who asked the council to remove eminent domain from consideration when designing a new alignment for the rail corridor.

"If eminent domain is triggered, it's likely the option chosen will be highly disruptive in neighborhoods during construction and the result will turn local roads into thoroughfares and will exacerbate traffic through our neighborhoods," Shen said.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
suburbanization is a disease

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Sagebrush posted:

the latter. horrible nerds

kinda like how okcupid recently changed its system so that after you message someone, you can't load their profile or send them another message unless they respond to you. drastically cuts down on the shitlords who don't know how to leave well enough alone

that actually sounds like a great feature both ways. if someone didn't message me back i wouldn't want to continue to see them in search results anyway.

eschaton posted:

the shuttle was basically the Bradley but space, except imagine if work on the Bradley halted all other military ground vehicle development so no tanks, hum-vees, etc.

someone should do a Pentaton Wars like film about it

come to think of it, that’s also what happened with the Joint Strike Fighter

dang yeah you really could do a Pentagon Wars style film about the Space Shuttle, right down to the mass/size problems and the feature creep

air force general all :mil101: "we want the vehicle to be able to take off, do a single polar orbit, and then land back at the same place it took off from"
:psyduck: "but... sir, we'll need to put huge wings on the orbiter in order to do that. it'll eat a huge chunk out of the payload capacity!"
:mil101: "we're thinkin', maybe we could hang one o' them keyhole sats out the barn door, take a picture of some russkie naval yard, and get the film back in hours! hell! one of the boys even suggested we could snatch a russkie spy job and see what the hell they been lookin' at!"
:psyduck: "we just wanted a space truck so congress would let us keep going to space :smith:"
:mil101: "shoot, son, nobody's sayin' you can't go to space! just, you know, make it a little bigger or somethin'. what in tarnation you spendin' all that money for anyhow?"

with bonus scenes of the OMB literally advocating for setting NASA's budget at a permanent fixed dollar amount and letting inflation strangle the agency

(what the hell happened to the smiley where the guy in a cowboy hat was chomping a cigar?)

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

nothing like a marketing team that takes cues from 90s slacker cinema almost 20 years too late

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

that actually sounds like a great feature both ways. if someone didn't message me back i wouldn't want to continue to see them in search results anyway.

dang yeah you really could do a Pentagon Wars style film about the Space Shuttle, right down to the mass/size problems and the feature creep

air force general all :mil101: "we want the vehicle to be able to take off, do a single polar orbit, and then land back at the same place it took off from"
:psyduck: "but... sir, we'll need to put huge wings on the orbiter in order to do that. it'll eat a huge chunk out of the payload capacity!"
:mil101: "we're thinkin', maybe we could hang one o' them keyhole sats out the barn door, take a picture of some russkie naval yard, and get the film back in hours! hell! one of the boys even suggested we could snatch a russkie spy job and see what the hell they been lookin' at!"
:psyduck: "we just wanted a space truck so congress would let us keep going to space :smith:"
:mil101: "shoot, son, nobody's sayin' you can't go to space! just, you know, make it a little bigger or somethin'. what in tarnation you spendin' all that money for anyhow?"

with bonus scenes of the OMB literally advocating for setting NASA's budget at a permanent fixed dollar amount and letting inflation strangle the agency

(what the hell happened to the smiley where the guy in a cowboy hat was chomping a cigar?)

for whatever reason that reminded me that the SR-71 was a thing, and it was one of the coolest of things

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

:clint:?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

for whatever reason that reminded me that the SR-71 was a thing, and it was one of the coolest of things

crossposting from the hn thread 2 make u mad:

Enderzero posted:

jpitz 6 hours ago [-]

The [SR-71] Blackbirds leaked because they had engineered gaps to allow for heat expansion.

wand3r 2 hours ago [-]

I bet SpaceX could engineer something in spec that wouldn't leak fuel or need to be immediately refueled though.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

the sr-71 had static requirements for the entire project and it was also top secret so minimal outside interference

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

lol what do they think is the fog coming off a waiting rocket? fun smoke?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

haveblue posted:

the sr-71 had static requirements for the entire project and it was also top secret so minimal outside interference

Major Kong on the SR-71. Pro-loving-click.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

yeah I read ben rich's book on skunk works, it was really cool

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Yeah, dang, how the gently caress did i not see that in the smilies list

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

crabrock posted:

lol what do they think is the fog coming off a waiting rocket? fun smoke?

it's the smokescreen it emits so that big government can't pinpoint its location

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

ate all the Oreos posted:

it's the smokescreen it emits so that big government can't pinpoint its location

...within the government-owned launch pad on the government-owned air force station it's being launched from?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

haveblue posted:

yeah I read ben rich's book on skunk works, it was really cool

Yeah, but read Major Kong anyways.

:cumpolice:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ate all the Oreos posted:

crossposting from the hn thread 2 make u mad:

i wonder if the awful nerds would be lined up behind musk the same way if he had been a handsome, happily married catch of a man instead of a weird goon who drove his wife away with autistic logic and later creepily fixated on a hollywood actress half his age

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
poo poo i have heard today multiple times

"if anybody can do it, how come no private company but SpaceX has launched a payload to space?"

to which my reply of "it gets done all the time, regularly, by a dozen different private companies, this is nothing new. who do you think has been launching all those telecom satellites?"

is met with "yeah, well it's still really cool and made me excited and blah blah blah" and then some poo poo about steve jobs and how they're the same and i want to die

Just-In-Timeberlake fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Feb 7, 2018

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
don't they fantasize him as iron man? like, broken, but handsome

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
the sr71 owns because it does everything the opposite of how other planes work

- the fuel is specially formulated not to burn
- the skin is not smooth, but zigzag rough like cardboard
- to conserve gas, fly it as fast as possible
- the airframe gets stronger with wear and use

just an amazing bit of engineering, all done with slide rules in the early 1960s

they still really dont know what the maximum speed was on those things. every pilot had a personal max speed but they all think they could have gotten another 20 or 50 or 75 km/hr out of the thing if they had to. same with max altitude

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

FMguru posted:

the sr71 owns because it does everything the opposite of how other planes work

- the fuel is specially formulated not to burn
- the skin is not smooth, but zigzag rough like cardboard
- to conserve gas, fly it as fast as possible
- the airframe gets stronger with wear and use

just an amazing bit of engineering, all done with slide rules in the early 1960s

they still really dont know what the maximum speed was on those things. every pilot had a personal max speed but they all think they could have gotten another 20 or 50 or 75 km/hr out of the thing if they had to. same with max altitude

yeah, that's my fave part

they were like "let's put these chines because it'll reduce the radar back scatter" and it was a pleasant surprise when it improved lift and aerodynamic performance

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

FMguru posted:

yeh. the engines were ramjets, which use the aircraft's forward motion to compress the intake charge, so the upper limit on its speed is "the intake cones/wing leading edges/cockpit windows just melted" rather than anything to do with the plane running out of power

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

infernal machines posted:

don't they fantasize him as iron man? like, broken, but handsome

i'm fairly certain they do

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

he's not ugly but he's not robert downey jr. either.

also he's had work done. [img-that-pic-with-him-and-peter-thiel-where-he's-balding-at-25-or-whatever]

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
the best sr-71 story

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

The_Franz posted:

nothing like a marketing team that takes cues from 90s slacker cinema almost 20 years too late

Any bets on Dell bringing back the "Dude, you're getting a Dell!" slogan?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i see your best sr-71 story and raise you the other best sr-71 story

e: gonna quote the meat of it because everyone needs to read it

quote:

We got a little lower, and I pulled the throttles back from 325 knots we were at. With the gear up, anything under 275 was just uncomfortable. Walt said we were practically over the field-yet; there was nothing in my windscreen. I banked the jet and started a gentle circling maneuver in hopes of picking up anything that looked like a field. Meanwhile, below, the cadet commander had taken the cadets up on the catwalk of the tower in order to get a prime view of the fly-past. It was a quiet, still day with no wind and partial gray overcast. Walter continued to give me indications that the field should be below us but in the overcast and haze, I couldn’t see it. The longer we continued to peer out the window and circle, the slower we got. With our power back, the awaiting cadets heard nothing. I must have had good instructors in my flying career, as something told me I better cross-check the gauges. As I noticed the airspeed indicator slide below 160 knots, my heart stopped and my adrenalin-filled left hand pushed two throttles full forward. At this point we weren’t really flying, but were falling in a slight bank. Just at the moment that both afterburners lit with a thunderous roar of flame (and what a joyous feeling that was) the aircraft fell into full view of the shocked observers on the tower. Shattering the still quiet of that morning, they now had 107 feet of fire-breathing titanium in their face as the plane levelled and accelerated, in full burner, on the tower side of the infield, closer than expected, maintaining what could only be described as some sort of ultimate knife-edge pass.

Quickly reaching the field boundary, we proceeded back to Mildenhall without incident. We didn’t say a word for those next 14 minutes. After landing, our commander greeted us, and we were both certain he was reaching for our wings. Instead, he heartily shook our hands and said the commander had told him it was the greatest SR-71 fly-past he had ever seen, especially how we had surprised them with such a precise maneuver that could only be described as breathtaking. He said that some of the cadet’s hats were blown off and the sight of the plan form of the plane in full afterburner dropping right in front of them was unbelievable. Walt and I both understood the concept of ‘breathtaking’ very well that morning and sheepishly replied that they were just excited to see our low approach.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Feb 7, 2018

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

I think the official explanation for why the core landed so hard was that it ran out of fuel on the way down. doesn't that mean it leaked more than expected or did they miscalculate the fuel required? well I guess one implies the othet

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

poo poo i have heard today multiple times

"if anybody can do it, how come no private company but SpaceX has launched a payload to space?"

to which my reply of "it gets done all the time, regularly, by a dozen different private companies, this is nothing new. who do you think has been launching all those telecom satellites?"

is met with "yeah, well it's still really cool and made me excited and blah blah blah" and then some poo poo about steve jobs and how they're the same and i want to die

Elon musk is extremely Steve Jobs. Unfortunately he hasn't yet died of outright hubris like stebbe did

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Munkeymon posted:

I think the official explanation for why the core landed so hard was that it ran out of fuel on the way down. doesn't that mean it leaked more than expected or did they miscalculate the fuel required? well I guess one implies the othet

riding the edge between "we are too heavy" and "we may need a bit of extra fuel in case a crosswind nudges us this way or that" basically

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Munkeymon posted:

they also miscalculated the cargo orbit and it's projected to waaaay overshoot, so what do you think?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we were headed to intersect mars' orbit, but now it looks like we'll nearly be in the asteroid belt, whatever, lol - a very competent and reliable rocket launching company

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Munkeymon posted:

the amount of fuel you actually use during ascent can only be calculated to a best-guess, so you generally have a tiny bit more than you need, and the upper stages generally have a lot more than you need so if the first stage fucks up and shuts down early you can burn the second stage longer and still reach orbit. idk how the hell any of this works with the falcon 9 / heavy though, since landing the thing is, as far as i know, still a secondary "nice to have" feature that comes after all payload considerations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003