Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Transient People posted:

You're not going to cap as a matter of course unless you go all-in on mana. How many characters want archangels AND Ludens, or ludens AND the frostbazooka?

Yep. CDR capping by stacking all of the mana items is a bad plan, since you're necessarily giving up a lot of gold efficiency to do so (unless you need an earthshatteringly large amount of mana for some weird reason). Realistically, the majority of midlaners were building Morello's first item every time as it was, so all this is doing is giving them more interesting options to let them diversify.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action George
Apr 13, 2013
With Liandries/Morellos being more situational and the greater availability of CDR (Twin Shadows is in the item changes too) you might see champs capping out as they take something like TS/Zhonya's for their discretionary ap items more often, assuming that mana item/Deathcap/Void Staff are common to most builds at some point or another.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Building a tear on Xerath is going to Actually Rule

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Check out some totally normal redditor's 4 Thousand word post about Riot thinking about changing the jungle items

link

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Reworked Swain is interesting. I think he has the potential to be absolutely nuts with the right team comp. His base damage and ratios are some of the highest in the game, but they also require him to be basically hugging a target for an extended period of time. He's strongly countered by disengage and doesn't combo well with low CC teams. Laning phase seems to depend a lot on who your jungler is, since his passive gives him great kill pressure if he's with a jungler that has an immob like J4 or Camille. He otherwise has difficulty fighting most meta mids unless he can get them out of position enough to hit E.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Vermain posted:

Yep. CDR capping by stacking all of the mana items is a bad plan, since you're necessarily giving up a lot of gold efficiency to do so (unless you need an earthshatteringly large amount of mana for some weird reason). Realistically, the majority of midlaners were building Morello's first item every time as it was, so all this is doing is giving them more interesting options to let them diversify.
Half of the cdr is on a unique passive, so it's a doubly bad idea to build more than one item from that line.

Nightgull
Jan 22, 2018

TOTALLY NOT A CONSERVATIVE
or a fucking nazi

Vermain posted:

Reworked Swain is interesting. I think he has the potential to be absolutely nuts with the right team comp. His base damage and ratios are some of the highest in the game, but they also require him to be basically hugging a target for an extended period of time. He's strongly countered by disengage and doesn't combo well with low CC teams. Laning phase seems to depend a lot on who your jungler is, since his passive gives him great kill pressure if he's with a jungler that has an immob like J4 or Camille. He otherwise has difficulty fighting most meta mids unless he can get them out of position enough to hit E.

Is he out. I really like his look, but he's a bit expensive to buy sight unseen...might wait to see if I can get a shard.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

Taciturn Tactician posted:

wasn't getting CDR capped as a matter of course and not having to build for it specifically something that riot remade items to get away from...?

In the update they actually listed the above as a reason for moving around cdr like they did.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

Rygar201 posted:

Check out some totally normal redditor's 4 Thousand word post about Riot thinking about changing the jungle items

link

"Just FYI, the context of this is the guy at Riot is just doing exploration on a new jungle item to add to the other items, and wanted to force all junglers to take it on the PBE so he would have enough data."

fuckin lol

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Nightgull posted:

Is he out. I really like his look, but he's a bit expensive to buy sight unseen...might wait to see if I can get a shard.

Yeah, he's on live now. The one thing I'll say is that I wouldn't recommend him to new players, especially for people who haven't played mid/top a lot. His short range means he can get punished in lane super easily unless you know what you're doing. I feel like you need an especially good read on his damage, too, since you need to be able to accurately judge when you should keep his ult running versus instantly blowing Demonflare to get the most value.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD

Vermain posted:

He’s worse but more interesting vlad. Seems fine.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
I’ve been playing this game 19 years now and literally all I want to play is predator Annie and Nasus.

Nightgull
Jan 22, 2018

or a fucking nazi

Vermain posted:

Yeah, he's on live now. The one thing I'll say is that I wouldn't recommend him to new players, especially for people who haven't played mid/top a lot. His short range means he can get punished in lane super easily unless you know what you're doing. I feel like you need an especially good read on his damage, too, since you need to be able to accurately judge when you should keep his ult running versus instantly blowing Demonflare to get the most value.

I've been almost exclusively playing top since I started. And usually as Urgot, who looks to have a similar range. So I think I could adjust easily, but would have to get used to the relative lack of CC. Three out of four of Ur's skills have some sort of CC, with his E being similar to hitting Swain's E and then right click. So I'm pretty tempted.

Oh, and an odd one. Played against a Singed who refused to lane against me and instead invaded my jungle and base repeatedly, killing my minions before they could reach the towers. I killed him a few times then realized how much CS I was losing, then I just easily cleared incoming minions with level 2 W. He escalated to killing minions in our base, taking both top AND mid's, and whenever we attempted to stop him he would just run circles around us and waste tons of time before we could finally stop and kill him.

Did I handle that the best way or what. It was a really interesting strategy, and they eventually did win the game, though it's hard to tell if that was the reason.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

that's a pretty common thing for singed mains to do. it's called proxy farming. singed's the main champion who can do it, but there's a couple of others. the best counter is to just get lifesteal or some form of sustain and basically proxy farm him back. singed doesnt scale that much with farm - he becomes much more annoying to kill but its not like hes making huge contributions to teamfights outside of fling and a slowbuilding DOT. if you and him farm equally, you'll be contributing more than he is on most champions. use the lifesteal you buy to tank the minions so you don't have to last hit under tower and you can get perfect CS just like he is. tell your jungler to just let him be and focus entirely on camping mid or bottom.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Nightgull posted:

Oh, and an odd one. Played against a Singed who refused to lane against me and instead invaded my jungle and base repeatedly, killing my minions before they could reach the towers. I killed him a few times then realized how much CS I was losing, then I just easily cleared incoming minions with level 2 W. He escalated to killing minions in our base, taking both top AND mid's, and whenever we attempted to stop him he would just run circles around us and waste tons of time before we could finally stop and kill him.

Did I handle that the best way or what. It was a really interesting strategy, and they eventually did win the game, though it's hard to tell if that was the reason.

That's a pretty standard proxy Singed strat. Best thing to do is to ferry your first wave up (by this, I mean simply following the wave from base up to the lane), because it'll force him to miss an entire wave of EXP/gold if he wants to proxy properly. If you and the jungler have enough hard CC to lock him in place and kill him, chain gank him until he's useless. If you don't, just farm and then start forcing fights around neutral objectives by midgame. Singed is dogshit awful in teamfights unless your team has zero frontline or peel.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

oh yeah i was going off your jungler being yi or something, if your jungler is like, rammus just freefarm him

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Nightgull posted:

I've been almost exclusively playing top since I started. And usually as Urgot, who looks to have a similar range. So I think I could adjust easily, but would have to get used to the relative lack of CC. Three out of four of Ur's skills have some sort of CC, with his E being similar to hitting Swain's E and then right click. So I'm pretty tempted.

that is an extremely popular singed strategy, and trying to kill him if you can pull it off successfully is a fine way to deal with it but it requires jungle intervention and specific team comps, you can also try to cross counter by proxying his wave, or alternatively you can ignore singed and try to play asymmetrically 5v4 by roaming with jungler to make plays in mid for dragon/rift herald.

Camel Camus
Jun 16, 2009

Mais, non, je suis fantastique!

Man I just finished my plat promos and in my final game of the series the enemy jungler was trying to do smiteless Yi. I think he was just loving with the enemy team but once we warded his blue he didn't even try to jungle. He walked mid and started farming next to their Azir. The enemy team said in champ select he just said, "smiteless fuckers," and picked Yi with ghost+cleanse. We won at 15 minutes and while I'm not complaining about a free win it was the least satisfying promos ever.

Nightgull
Jan 22, 2018

or a fucking nazi
He was taking both mid and top, and our jungle was Warwick. Should I have gone into his jungle/base and done the same. Without Singed's movespeed and natural tankiness, I'm not sure I could've survived as long as he did.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
A few things to keep in mind with proxy Singed. If he's farming multiple lanes he's starving his team as well.As soon as you see it, start to figure out how to last hit under tower or buy sustain/armor so you can facetank creeps yourself. In the case of Urgot, you can probably use your shield and hold a bit that way too. Also assume because it's Singed, he's going to do stupid poo poo like that at level 1 so you ward up tri and guard the bottom entrance into the jungle and you tell your team as much so you score a first blood. If that doesn't work, walk with your first spawn of creeps so you can interrupt him.

You said you played DotA, right? I'm pretty sure Axe used to do something similar so the same kind of rules apply.

Servaetes fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Feb 8, 2018

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

Nightgull posted:

He was taking both mid and top, and our jungle was Warwick. Should I have gone into his jungle/base and done the same. Without Singed's movespeed and natural tankiness, I'm not sure I could've survived as long as he did.

If someone is proxying 2 lanes waves just let him and wait for his mid to dc tbh

Nightgull
Jan 22, 2018

or a fucking nazi

Servaetes posted:

A few things to keep in mind with proxy Singed. If he's farming multiple lanes he's starving his team as well.As soon as you see it, start to figure out how to last hit under tower or buy sustain/armor so you can facetank creeps yourself. In the case of Urgot, you can probably use your shield and hold a bit that way too. Also assume because it's Singed, he's going to do stupid poo poo like that at level 1 so you ward up tri and guard the bottom entrance into the jungle and you tell your team as much so you score a first blood. If that doesn't work, walk with your first spawn of creeps so you can interrupt him.

You said you played DotA, right? I'm pretty sure Axe used to do something similar so the same kind of rules apply.

Yup, although IIRC axe didn't go into the base itself, he just disrupted the long lane by grabbing creeps between the first and second towers. In that case the support would help the carry clear under tower so no big deal - in my case, I was able to use W to stay almost undamaged while still clearing waves. Their mid didn't seem to care, it was Zed and he was getting kills on bot, mid, and jungle.

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

https://i.imgur.com/nbQ5ovT.mp4

Super Librarian
Jan 4, 2005

https://i.imgur.com/dgFkp3J.mp4

he also tried to stopwatch-ult earlier

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Simplest thing to do when versus singed is just follow the first wave to the tower, Singed takes ~60% of his HP tanking that first wave, so if you’re there to fight him off, he’s a free kill or he just has to run away or face getting chunked so hard he can’t keep proxy farming behind your towers. Also, yeah get some kind of lifesteal or spell vamp to stay healthy and just don’t let the waves hit your tower. Basically he wants to force the waves to chip away at your tower while you are missing CS trying to farm under it.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I miss Season 2 competitive where the top laners were all just proxy farming in each other's bases

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

RealFoxy posted:

I miss Season 2 competitive where the top laners were all just proxy farming in each other's bases

I miss MakNooN

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I miss MakNooN

I miss Matazat

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I miss MakNooN

He’s FaTNooN now

Camel Camus
Jun 16, 2009

Mais, non, je suis fantastique!

I love this meta right now because braum and taric are so loving good.

I guess people seen the changes to support items and think anything will fly and I keep going against free lanes like support lux or teemo.

I hope it never stops.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Oh man I love seeing support lux. It can work but like 95% of the time they don't know what they're doing, will spam spells willy nilly pushing the lane and you just punish them while their abilities are on cd

DaStampede
Feb 8, 2018

el dingo posted:

and you just punish them while their abilities are on cd

Except that Lux is on my team bitching about how she would have carried mid.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Late as gently caress placement report - finished Silver 1 last year, then I was 4-5 going into my last game and expecting to land in mid-bronze, even after wining my last game. Ended up in silver 3 instead, which I’ll take all day.

Why do we get placements at season reset anyway? why not just knock everyone down a bit to get some compression. I can guess what was happening relative MMR-wise in my placements that caused my mediocre record to get me a decent placement, but I was hella demoralized after starting out 0-3 and expecting wood 5.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy
I think the idea is just to obfuscate the exact details of the compression, honestly. But also placements are sort of exciting for some people.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

I think the idea is just to obfuscate the exact details of the compression, honestly. But also placements are sort of exciting for some people.

They have to have some kind of reset mechanism or else the entire playerbase would just slowly creep up and up and up, and they want the majority to be silver.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Trip report: New Swain is cool but I'm extraordinarily bad at him and also Camille shits on him extraordinarily hard so you should ban her, ime.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Sexpansion posted:

They have to have some kind of reset mechanism or else the entire playerbase would just slowly creep up and up and up, and they want the majority to be silver.

Yeah, but placements themselves aren’t necessary to that. Look at Hearthstone.

That makes a lot of sense, especially considering raw MMR is hidden.

Getting excited by placements is a very alien emotion for me, though, haha.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Camel Camus posted:

I love this meta right now because braum and taric are so loving good.

I guess people seen the changes to support items and think anything will fly and I keep going against free lanes like support lux or teemo.

I hope it never stops.

The big difference is that Relic got massively buffed with the scaling on its heal, and the presence of strong secondary runes like Second Wind or Perfect Timing add another layer of survivability for ADCs and defensive tanks. This results in a situation where poke playstyles are less effective overall, something that heavily benefits defensive tanks (who previously struggled badly against long-range poke supports). Moreover, the presence of Varus and Kog with Guinsoo's means that you have an ADC that spikes hard off of a single purchase, so gaining a CS lead isn't as big of a deal as it was previously. If all your ADC needs to start ripping people apart is a single item, then having a support that can get them to that point and then act as a bodyguard by midgame is generally more helpful than a poke support (because the added damage in midgame from a Lux/Zyra/Brand/Xerath isn't as beneficial, since there isn't a need to cover for the ADC's lack of teamfight presence).

el dingo posted:

Oh man I love seeing support lux. It can work but like 95% of the time they don't know what they're doing, will spam spells willy nilly pushing the lane and you just punish them while their abilities are on cd

She's dogshit awful at the moment, unfortunately. TK and Braum being the big meta picks means that you have zero kill presence in lane when Stopwatch is factored in, your poke does next to nothing for the above-mentioned reasons, and the most popular second item for ADCs at the moment gives them 65 MR and costs pennies. The fact that she's made of paper and instantly crumbles against Kha or J4 ganks doesn't help.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Feb 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
anybody played nerfed j4 in the jungle yet? notice any difference?