Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

More enemy soldiers come “ashore” at Jaluit.

They attack again.

The fighting over Rabaul continues.

More planes crash over the city and port.

I'll take every kill I can get.

Losses are expected though.

They are still targeting the ships rather than the airfields as well.

My planes run out of ammo well before they run out of targets.

The Red Army surrendered. The timeline is irrecoverably changed.

Air losses continue to run high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

So does that feee up more troops for the island defenses? Or an offensive in SE Asia?

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
:china:

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

No GLF and Cultural Revolution.

Thank you, Grey. You just saved my great grandfather from dying in jail for having a very small shop, (allegedly) being let out to smell the air occasionally if the jailors got bribes from Hong Kong.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Feb 5, 2018

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

So, Grey killed Mao. This war has been really weird.

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.

Ron Jeremy posted:

So does that feee up more troops for the island defenses? Or an offensive in SE Asia?

psssh forget that, time to invade Hawaii

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits
Is it even possible for Japan to reach Hawaii in this game?

edit. missed a word...

Fader Movitz fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Feb 5, 2018

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

terrenblade posted:

West Virginia, and sunk

What happened?

She'll be back. This is like the third time that the West Virginia has been "sunk." Keep on sunkin', my lucky ship!

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Fader Movitz posted:

Is it even possible for Japan to Hawaii in this game?

If it's possible to invade western coast, then I imagine one fine person at Matrix forums did invade Hawaii.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

You mean this late in this particular game? Having lost the CVs grey has? Right as the giant tsunami
of American war production is about to crash down upon us ?

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

This game, as in early 1944? I doubt even gamiest of tactics would work.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

A fast supply run for Jaluit is run off by an American crusier.

The airfield here is hit many times – and we lose a lot of planes on the ground.

Generally we're losing a lot of planes today!

It's not all way though!

We cut some down. But there are always more.

Sorry for the truncated report today, my kid woke and I had to rush through it.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Kinda want video of Grey Jr. yelling Banzai

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Turns out Grey Jr. is in charge of the Allies amphibious invasions, he likes seeing everything crash apart.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
It seems like maybe you should move the carriers out of Rabaul?

CarrKnight
May 24, 2013
Shouldn't you move the Zuikaku out of there?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

We lose another plane on the ground – Luganville sees a lot less traffic these days – it's all moved north!

We fend off another frenzied assault of Marines.

Munda gets about half the Allied bombers, but they don't normally do much damage.

Bloody spits.

It's actually much quieter here today.

They send a lot more fighters though, and our own fighters perform poorly.

Another day of heavy air losses. I'm not sure how long I can keep on replacing these!

I think we knew this already.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Isn't it just a matter of time before one of your carriers at Rabaul eats a bomb?

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

6 February 1944

RAF Typhoons sink the German minesweeper M-156 in Brittany.

acidia
Oct 31, 2012

Saint Celestine posted:

Isn't it just a matter of time before one of your carriers at Rabaul eats a bomb?

I don't know... the additional cap provided by the carriers may be the only thing preventing allied bombers from plastering the runway. After that, its pretty much all down hill because you would need to evacuate the surface fleet to prevent it from getting trounced. It makes sense if moving them results in losing air "superiority" errr... resistance?

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
The fallback positions kind of suck, it’s Truk then not much before Japan.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I think the presence of the ships there is keeping the allies on naval attack: as soon as the ships leave, they'll switch to bombing the airfield, and with no CAP grey's position then becomes untenable. So having the ships there as bait is kind of working for him, in that it's limiting the losses to nearly replaceable levels while also letting him maintain that forward position.

CarrKnight
May 24, 2013
Are we really using fleet CV as bait? Didn't work that well in our timeline. And even then, at least it wasn't parked.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

CarrKnight posted:

Are we really using fleet CV as bait? Didn't work that well in our timeline. And even then, at least it wasn't parked.

I'd say it worked perfectly at Samar when Halsey took the bait. The rest of the plan was pretty unsound, but the same can be said of the entire Pacific war.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
You can move the CVs out and leave some garbage surface ships as bait. I’m finding even a cl or dd in port brings in Betties like flies.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I think those ships are actually repairing there, e.g., not just sitting idle, but once they're up to 100% yeah might make sense to move some out. Although the CVs are actually providing the air support, too.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Docked ships provid 50% of their AA so maybe CVs can provide a little bit of CAP? Need someone more familiar with the game to confirm. I've never been in a situation where I've had CVs under repair at a port under attack.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

I think they also only fly 50% of the sorties they otherwise would, when in a coastal hex or docked. I don’t think CVEs have this limitation, though.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Can’t the air wing just be attached to the airbase ashore? It’s not like they’re launching off the CVs moored at the pier.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Maybe it's like how the training cruiser is always sent into an actual surface engagement? The carrier pilots are practicing takeoff under actual falling bombs!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Launching from a stationary ship would be ranging from difficult to drat near impossible.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Ron Jeremy posted:

Can’t the air wing just be attached to the airbase ashore? It’s not like they’re launching off the CVs moored at the pier.

Airfield could be too packed

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Ron Jeremy posted:

Totally but keep in mind that virtually everything in this game has to be done manually, so you'd have to go through each airgroup on each carrier and rebase them to the airbase, and then back when you want the carriers to sally. Also if the carriers in in a task force, if for some reason they reacted out of the port, they wouldn't have their fighters on them. It would probably also have to be a pretty big airbase to accommodate all of the fighters.

My guess is carriers fly planes when they're in a TF in the port hex (ships stationary in a hex are considered to still be sailing around the hex) but not if they're disbanded in the port.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

The number of planes I'm getting in the air has reduced greatly.

They also have a lot more fighters.

We keep on plinking away.

A much quieter day – I think we both need to replace losses!

Grey Hunter fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Feb 9, 2018

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Missed a bracket in the fourth-from-last picture there

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Another wave of troops unload at Jaluit.

This triggers another shock attack!

Rabaul's runway comes under attack.

It's raining Liberators! And bombs. To be honest, mostly bombs.

Not a bad day on the old losses front.

An old kill.

Now, time for a plan. My spreadsheet tells me I am 4200 points from having twice the Allied points and autowinning in 1945. Now, This is a hard target, but I'm going to bet it all on one place.

I give you Operation Charnel House.

Hacking my way through 600,000 Chinese troops will not only give me 2,800 points it will REMOVE 1,400 points from the Allied score – for a net change of 5,600. This is if the losses from the battle are even.

I'm not sure I can do it, but I'm going to start collecting forces – the guys heading for Sining will turn south, and this is what it looks like now.

I can also scavenge more troops from across china. Which will form up a Hankow. This will tank months, but I think we can have a battle to win the war!

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Grey Hunter posted:

I think we can have a battle to win the war!

Said the Japanese high command, when the game started.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
Ragnarok approaches

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Awww, I guess we're not modding the game to play until total occupation of the Home Isles then?

Operation Charnel House sounds like fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Grey Hunter posted:

I can also scavenge more troops from across china. Which will form up a Hankow. This will tank months, but I think we can have a battle to win the war!

Please also make sure you sort out supply for them