Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Accordion Man posted:

I think one of Max's flashbacks is Toecutter's death too.

It must have been confusing to see Toecutter not only survived but also ruled an entire city, complete with fanatical warboys and fleet of modified trucks.

Related, but my favorite thing about Fury Road was that not only was every car drivable, they put tons of details into each car in order to personalize them beyond "post apocalyptic murdercars". Off the top of my head, Immortan Joe's car has two of almost everything (made of two frames, four back tires etc.) because when everyone else is scrounging for scraps, he's powerful enough to have two of everything.

E: just found this like a second after I posted, they really put a ton of work into those cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
For a certain definition of 'driveable' in some cases, apparently the tank treads ute was the most unreliable vehicle on the set.

The new Jumanji was interesting, and one of the first movies I've ever seen to actually do a decent job depicting video game cliches and quirks. (of course, there's plenty of things that don't quite make sense, but the game is literally probably sentient spiteful magic, so)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Don Gato posted:

It must have been confusing to see Toecutter not only survived but also ruled an entire city, complete with fanatical warboys and fleet of modified trucks.

George Miller has said that Joe is not Toecutter. He just likes Hugh Keays-Byrne.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

See also the gyro captain being in two movies but it's not clear if he's the same person or not.

Immortan Joe is def not Toecutter tho

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Of course not, they have different names.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Gyro captain is Babe The Blue Ox, you're welcome

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
See I totally missed the part where Immortan Joe was Toecutter and I thought he was Humungus and I just figured he let himself go. And grew hair.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

but he's not Toecutter they're just the same actor

ffs

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Krispy Wafer posted:

See I totally missed the part where Immortan Joe was Toecutter and I thought he was Humungus and I just figured he let himself go. And grew hair.

Driving into the front of a tanker truck is a good way to gently caress up your figure.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I remember there being some fan theory/desperate attempt to make continuity where this movie took place after Mad Max but before Road Warrior. Joe was Toecutter (his face was mangled in the wreck) and then Rictus survived but was also mangled and became Lord Humongous.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

gently caress continuity it's more trouble than it's worth in this case

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
The breeders wrote that their babies wouldn't be warlords, but was there that much demand for warlords? You already had Joe and then Rictus. How many more leaders did you need? It looked like Joe had a pretty good line of succession planned out. Usually in a despot environment, more perfect boys means more trouble.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Baron von Eevl posted:

I remember there being some fan theory/desperate attempt to make continuity where this movie took place after Mad Max but before Road Warrior. Joe was Toecutter (his face was mangled in the wreck) and then Rictus survived but was also mangled and became Lord Humongous.

It works fine if you just want to be able to fit the younger looking Hardy version of Max into the timeline, but the whole Toecutter thing is just really dumb. He wears a mask for the entire movie, is it really all that difficult to just acknowledge that he's a completely new character that happens to be played by the same actor? You don't even have the excuse of their identical faces being a distraction, I don't see how it's a problem or something that needs to be "explained".

Krispy Wafer posted:

The breeders wrote that their babies wouldn't be warlords, but was there that much demand for warlords? You already had Joe and then Rictus. How many more leaders did you need? It looked like Joe had a pretty good line of succession planned out. Usually in a despot environment, more perfect boys means more trouble.

Not sure that Rictus was really what Joe had in mind for his successor. The deformed son is the brains, and Rictus has the brawn but he's really dumb. I think Joe wants a kid that has it all, no deformities and smart enough to run the show.

Basebf555 has a new favorite as of 20:32 on Feb 7, 2018

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
He wanted his child to be :perfect:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Arcsquad12 posted:

He wanted his child to be :perfect:

But Rictus was already perfect.

I really enjoyed the War Boy mythology where you absolutely needed witnesses to have a good death. While I'd rather the next Mad Max not retread the same storylines, I wouldn't complain about more War Boys.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Krispy Wafer posted:

I really enjoyed the War Boy mythology where you absolutely needed witnesses to have a good death. While I'd rather the next Mad Max not retread the same storylines, I wouldn't complain about more War Boys.

Nux's arc is probably the best in a movie full of great characters. I love how he doesn't just drop his entire philosophy just because a woman is nice to him, but he does come to realize that one witness can be enough if it's the right person. They look into each others eyes at the end and he's totally satisfied that he has been witnessed.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Krispy Wafer posted:

But Rictus was already perfect.

Or just one War Boy shouting :black101: WITNESS!!:black101: at every opportunity and getting uncomfortable looks from everybody else.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
One warboy shouts to an enemy :black101: WITNESS!!! and suicide bombs himself and his witness. :thunk:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

MariusLecter posted:

One warboy shouts to an enemy :black101: WITNESS!!! and suicide bombs himself and his witness. :thunk:

Nah, he's shouting to the other warboys who are driving alongside to witness him. One of them is a huge dick and when the guy is already dead he yells "mediocre!"

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Nah, he's shouting to the other warboys who are driving alongside to witness him. One of them is a huge dick and when the guy is already dead he yells "mediocre!"

Wait, someone else says mediocre other than Joe? That's like a real insult rather than just an one off?

I need to watch Fury Road again.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Basebf555 posted:

Slit is just a jackass the whole movie, always putting Nux down.

Arc Hammer has a new favorite as of 21:11 on Feb 7, 2018

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Krispy Wafer posted:

Wait, someone else says mediocre other than Joe? That's like a real insult rather than just an one off?

I need to watch Fury Road again.

Nux's driving partner, the one who holds up Max's shoe and tries to get Joes approval with it? That guy is trailing the big rig as the one warboy suicides off it, and right as all of the other warboys are celebrating the badass death of their buddy, this rear end in a top hat pipes in with "Mediocre, Morsov(the name of the guy who just died), mediocre!"

Tons of little stuff like that in the movie that you need 2 or 3 viewings to catch.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Slint is just a jackass the whole movie, always putting Nux down.

Right from the beginning, he's trying to usurp Nux because Nux seems to be weakening a lot and is close to the end of his "half life". I get the sense that Nux is a really good driver and Slint has been living in his shadow for a good while, building up resentment. The whole culture is centered around driving, and Slint is just a guy who hangs off the back and throws javelins.

Basebf555 has a new favorite as of 21:08 on Feb 7, 2018

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
And then slit shows up again driving the interceptor just to piss Max off. God I need to watch the nitro spitting contest again.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Krispy Wafer posted:

I got the impression Rictus wasn't exactly perfect. He's dumb, and he has that oxygen tubing that he possibly needs. I think Joe would want better for his true heir.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

jabby posted:

I got the impression Rictus wasn't exactly perfect. He's dumb, and he has that oxygen tubing that he possibly needs. I think Joe would want better for his true heir.

I think we have two bookends here. His first son was probably smart, but deformed. His second son was physically perfect, but maybe dim.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Krispy Wafer posted:

I think we have two bookends here. His first son was probably smart, but deformed. His second son was physically perfect, but maybe dim.

If you watch the movie again with Rictus' intelligence in mind, you'll see that he's borderline mentally disabled.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
"No Rictus, no fire! Protect the assets!"

Rictus: RAAAURWARAGH

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

If only they'd thought to do the Master Blaster thing, Rictus and Corpus could have been a force to be reckoned with.

The oxygen tubes were supposed to be a status thing, I thing. Immortan Joe's family gets to breathe clean air.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I don't think so. Joe's brothers don't have masks or harnesses. They just wear the imperator grease slick on their forehead.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I thought mediocre meant good in War Boys slang

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Arcsquad12 posted:

I don't think so. Joe's brothers don't have masks or harnesses. They just wear the imperator grease slick on their forehead.

I thought those guys were just his imperial guard of sorts. Did they ever reference them as relations?

That one guy reminds me of Stanley Tucci.

Krispy Wafer has a new favorite as of 22:30 on Feb 7, 2018

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Escobarbarian posted:

I thought mediocre meant good in War Boys slang

No, that would be "shiny and chrome"

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

During the first "Witness!" scene Slit tries to killsteal Marsov, the warboy who does the suicide attack, and he shouts "Mediocre!" afterwards cause hes the Warboy equiv. of that dude on your Overwatch Team who loses and won't stop screaming about how many elims he got

Thats Slit on the left there at the end.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

During the first "Witness!" scene Slit tries to killsteal Marsov, the warboy who does the suicide attack, and he shouts "Mediocre!" afterwards cause hes the Warboy equiv. of that dude on your Overwatch Team who loses and won't stop screaming about how many elims he got

Thats Slit on the left there at the end.

I always saw Slit throwing the spear, but I never thought of it as killstealing until now. I didn't know it was him yelling "Mediocre." It makes perfect sense considering his attitude throughout.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I'm starting to think Slit was an rear end in a top hat.

I thought that scene where Max is getting pulled back from the cliff door with his face is blanked out was some kind of abstract representation of his identity being stolen. I was on my 3rd viewing before I saw they pulled something over his head.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
One of the best little things is the Warboy who screams "witness" during that chase in the fortress, as he falls past max and all the way to the ground.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
In naked gun 33/1 3rd the opening scene parodies the untouchables. However within the scene is a great visual gag referencing battleship potempkin. The baby carriages begin tumbling down the steps as the massacre starts, only for OJ Simpson to catch the baby and do a touchdown dance in the background.
Zucker Abrahams Zucker movies are so jam packed with gags that they will cram a dozen into a scene that you might ss while etching for the the main joke.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Arcsquad12 posted:

In naked gun 33/1 3rd the opening scene parodies the untouchables. However within the scene is a great visual gag referencing battleship potempkin. The baby carriages begin tumbling down the steps as the massacre starts, only for OJ Simpson to catch the baby and do a touchdown dance in the background.
Zucker Abrahams Zucker movies are so jam packed with gags that they will cram a dozen into a scene that you might ss while etching for the the main joke.

The untouchables had that scene too.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Krispy Wafer posted:

I'm starting to think Slit was an rear end in a top hat.

I thought that scene where Max is getting pulled back from the cliff door with his face is blanked out was some kind of abstract representation of his identity being stolen. I was on my 3rd viewing before I saw they pulled something over his head.
Yeah, once you come onto the idea that Slit is an rear end in a top hat and watch it looking for that, he's so utterly an rear end in a top hat its amazing. Everything about the detail in Fury Road belongs in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

AFewBricksShy posted:

The untouchables had that scene too.

I don’t remember the touchdown dance.