Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Dadbod Apocalypse posted:

The entire Close Combat series is on sale at GOG this week:

https://www.gog.com/promo/20180206_launch_promo_close_combat

holy poo poo when did CC2 and CC3 get on GOG? Do they run well on modern systems?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

gradenko_2000 posted:

holy poo poo when did CC2 and CC3 get on GOG? Do they run well on modern systems?

Word on the street is that they’ve been tweaked to run on modern systems. I can’t vouch for the accuracy of this tho.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

NOTE: 2 and 3 on gog are the originals, not the Matrix remakes. This means if you were a fan of the original campaign style of 2 (that Matrix subsequently nixed), this is the version you'd want to buy.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

that's not all of them, missing the first one and the normandy one.also wasn't there some modern day combat version?

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

NOTE: 2 and 3 on gog are the originals, not the Matrix remakes. This means if you were a fan of the original campaign style of 2 (that Matrix subsequently nixed), this is the version you'd want to buy.

#4 battle of the bulge is also an original. the remake was called wacht am rhein

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

The entire Close Combat series is on sale at GOG this week:

https://www.gog.com/promo/20180206_launch_promo_close_combat

I don’t think this is the entire series. It doesn’t include the remake of A Bridge Too Far, for instance. [e: should have read to end of thread :downs:] But the Close Combat series is amazing and I highly recommend it to anyone who hasn’t tried it yet.

I wish there were more games on the Close Combat level of grogginess. The game has a lot of depth and great tactical/operational decisionmaking, but is still very accessible. Ultimate General: Civil War is a good example of what I’m talking about. I would love to see that engine used to make games in other eras.

What’s the status of the new 3D Close Combat? Feel like I read about it years ago and then it kinda went quiet.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Bold Robot posted:

What’s the status of the new 3D Close Combat? Feel like I read about it years ago and then it kinda went quiet.

From the Matrix forums on 2/2/2018.

Matrix Person posted:

Sorry for the silence guys but as Pip mentioned things have been pretty busy recently - not only with Matrix in general but also with Close Combat.

I know you have heard it before (probably more than once) but we'll have a 'proper' update for you all soon

regards
Ben Wilkins

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Bold Robot posted:

I'll be surprised whenever "The Bloody First" (the new CC game) is released. They stated it was coming out in 2014 and then at some point switched game-engines to the one used in Battle Academy. There are screenshots, so it exists, but it sounds to me like there's a very small team behind it and progress is slow.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
Hrrng, gotta spend money buying 'em again. (Have all up to Bulge as physical media.)

Never did get a legit copy of the USMC one, though.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Looks like all 5 originals will be up if they can.

IainMcNeil posted:

Thanks for all the feedback guys. The GoG team had to go back to old retail masters and try and make them windows compatible as the source code for the original 5 games was lost many years ago before we acquired it.

They managed to get 2-4 working but are having issues with 1 and 5. We hope they'll be able to resolve them and add them to the list too at some point. Then there's the other 5 games we released. We don't have a firm date for when any of these will be available.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

If you haven't played 2, it is a must play videogame. One of my all time favourites, even if it's so old.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

If you haven't played 2, it is a must play videogame. One of my all time favourites, even if it's so old.

Seconding this. A Bridge Too Far is an all-time favorite, a real standout in the genre. I played the remake through a few times relatively recently and it’s still such a strong game. I know some people aren’t crazy about the campaign map in the remake but I thought it was fine.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Bold Robot posted:

Seconding this. A Bridge Too Far is an all-time favorite, a real standout in the genre. I played the remake through a few times relatively recently and it’s still such a strong game. I know some people aren’t crazy about the campaign map in the remake but I thought it was fine.

I always felt the campaign map robbed the character of the campaign. The order of the battles fought really changes the context of each fight. Starting with the Arnhem Rail Bridge and moving towards (XXX? Memory's rusty) Corps dampens each early loss, yet makes it hurt far more later. Strengthens the tension of the latter stages of holding Arnhem against overwhelming numbers as your doom force looms ever closer. Too good, great goddamn game and perhaps the most thematically resonant strategy game out there.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Wasnt fortress italy due another expansion soon?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
FWIW, I bought CC 2, 3, and 4 this morning and got to play some short games of 2 and 4 and they both work perfectly fine on my Win10 laptop. The resolution is fairly limited, but the experience is otherwise the same.

I do need to brush up on my assault tactics, as taking a simple house cost me two squads.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I always found the original CC2 to be extremely hard with all my little army men being blown to chunks. I suppose that's normal.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
I'll always remember playing CC2 at university with a mate, and he had gotten a squad pinned down and cut to pieces in a field by a German MG. The screams were very realistic, and it lead to his flatmate storming in screaming that she was hung over and what the gently caress were we doing murdering people at nine in the morning.

Good times. I often wonder how much LP fare there is in the games. You could run through them in order....

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

The only one I played back in the day was CC1, but I must have played through it 20 times easily.

So if I were to grab one, would it be 2 or 4? Or something else?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Drone posted:

The only one I played back in the day was CC1, but I must have played through it 20 times easily.

So if I were to grab one, would it be 2 or 4? Or something else?

If it's just one, CC2 is the absolute best of the lot.

I'd still heavily encourage getting CC3 as well, so that you can play in the Eastern Front.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Always felt that the engine was at its least clumsy in the style of infantry heavy combat at show in Market Garden, and campaign structure in general very much made good sense there and worked. CC3 somehow just didn't grab me at all, and fast forward a year or so from that and Combat Mission was there fulfilling almost all my tactical gaming needs.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Bold Robot posted:

I wish there were more games on the Close Combat level of grogginess. The game has a lot of depth and great tactical/operational decisionmaking, but is still very accessible. Ultimate General: Civil War is a good example of what I’m talking about. I would love to see that engine used to make games in other eras.

The UG:CW Facebook page had a poll with choices of American Revolution and Napoleon's campaigns. Either would be awesome. AWI would be perfect for the engine with the smaller armies. Napoleon's in this engine would also be awesome; the way they split up the big battles into pieces would be a great way to approach the big battles.

Grey Hunter posted:

I'll always remember playing CC2 at university with a mate, and he had gotten a squad pinned down and cut to pieces in a field by a German MG. The screams were very realistic, and it lead to his flatmate storming in screaming that she was hung over and what the gently caress were we doing murdering people at nine in the morning.

I had to quit playing it late at night, the screams haunted me as I tried to fall asleep.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I've just noticed the Naval Action Legends (the MOBA they should always have made) beta in my steam library. Loading it up.

e: lol first screen 'Pick a username. YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO CHANGE IT'

e2: ok this is already dead but on the plus side I reinstalled Naval Action. I can live with it.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Feb 7, 2018

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Alchenar posted:

e: lol first screen 'Pick a username. YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO CHANGE IT'

if you state ahead of time that you want to be a “grog game designer,” do they prevent you from attending the courses on user-interface programming?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
CCIII was always my favorite but that may be due to nostalgia because it was the first one I played as a kid. And it came just as I was learning about this crazy, forgotten bit of history called the Eastern Front.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
For CC2, is the game/manual good enough at teaching you how to play or am I going to need to read the Infantryman's Primer to get through the first mission?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

1stGear posted:

For CC2, is the game/manual good enough at teaching you how to play or am I going to need to read the Infantryman's Primer to get through the first mission?

I never read either and do well enough.

Tetraptous
Nov 11, 2004

Dynamic instability during transition.

if you state ahead of time that you want to be a “grog game designer,” do they prevent you from attending the courses on user-interface programming?

Maybe there are special courses for grog game designers:

Grigsby’s First Law: Never make it the reasons for the success or failure of actions too clear to the user from the in game interface. If you do, your customers who read the manual will feel cheated.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

1stGear posted:

The game is very approachable. I was 10 when it came out and remember picking it up just fine. The UI is good and the learning curve overall is pretty gentle. I would just jump right in, you'll get a feel for what works and what doesn't. CC2 wasn't exactly mainstream but it's a far cry from true grog.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

gradenko_2000 posted:

(emphasis mine)

Should I just set up some form of direct debit or subscription system?

Dimitris
Apr 11, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Funny enough, we never hear these kinds of jokes from people with actual grog dev time under their belts (freshmen, vets or retirees alike).

I wonder why.

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
Can someone explain the difference in campaigns between the original CC2 and the remake?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

wide stance posted:

Can someone explain the difference in campaigns between the original CC2 and the remake?

Original CC2 has smaller, tighter maps and a campaign structure that is actually worthwhile. The remake has a campaign map where you deploy the troops yourself instead of being a purely tactical exercise. I've always felt the strategic layer decreased the quality of CC, given it's a tactical game engine and especially in the case of 2, meant to evoke Operation Market Garden.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yeah the strategic format was a big turn off for me coming from playing the original CC. There was little feedback to know if you were doing it right or if you were wasting your time on some map where there were tanks and whoops you only have 1 AT guy who got a mortar dropped on him early.

I remember riding my bike as a nerdy teenager a couple miles to Egghead Software in some strip mall and annoying the poo poo out of the workers by playing CC1 on their display machines and poking around every day without ever buying anything. I eventually bought a copy from them, much to the dismay of my friend who thought Descent was more fun (he was probably right).

GOOD TIMES ON METH fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Feb 8, 2018

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
My sole experience with Close Combat was a demo disc that came with my original Windows 95 computer back in like 1996. I played the CC1 demo mission (and all the other games that came on that disc) probably at least one thousand times. I've never gone back to try to play again, sounds like I missed out.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
Close Combat 3 had a demo on a PC Gamer disc, I think, and I played the *poo poo* out of it on a friend's computer, enough so they helped me build my first PC. (Amiga user berfore - and after - thtat. Still miss it.)

I think it was all the sceaming as infantry moving in the open discoved MG teams and tank LOS. :unsmigghh:

Full game, it would have been "concentrate all fire on the flamethrower team". :supaburn:

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I had a lot of fun playing through the grand campaign of CC3 in multiplayer.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Question about the peeling the onion scenario in command: How do I set up my tankers? Obviously I need to have some circling the middle of the atlantic but do I dedicate all the ones in CONUS to that? Or do I need to do some tanker refueling other tanker nonsense?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

I prefer to avoid tankers refueling tankers due to the complexity...

Could you give a few hints/descriptions about the peeling the onion scenario? I played.... 100s perhaps 1000s of scenarios at this point?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

You're nuking the southwestern USSR in 1957 with 3 SAC bomber wings based in southeast CONUS. You have some bombers in morroco for quick reaction. So basically you're trying to handle sixty something bombers doing a six thousand kilometer combat missions.

edit: yeah gently caress this

Stairmaster fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Feb 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Original CC2 has smaller, tighter maps and a campaign structure that is actually worthwhile. The remake has a campaign map where you deploy the troops yourself instead of being a purely tactical exercise. I've always felt the strategic layer decreased the quality of CC, given it's a tactical game engine and especially in the case of 2, meant to evoke Operation Market Garden.

Thanks, sounds like the original is the way to go and I didn't like the campaign map aspects in any of the other recent CCs.