Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
poo poo I meant "RealVNC" sorry guys. Thanks for the suggestions though, I need a solution and im sure one of these will be that.

edit: I had no idea there were so many things based on VNC, or that it was open source. Very cool

1gnoirents fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Feb 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
RealVNC is spying on people's use? Because I use their Viewer to connect to a free server. Not crypto related in any way but now I'm concerned about something I use on my machine to talk to my other machine.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
It's based on registrations I think, not outright spying on what you're doing. Probably similar thing for TeamViewer bumping him to a non-private license (5+ installs? Get outta here or pay us)

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Why not use Remote Desktop?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Forwarding RDP out to the 'net is a great way to get a whole bunch of Chinese botnets hammering your PC.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Oh I thought he was on a LAN hitting headless boxes

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Why not do RDP over SSH?

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~

Kazinsal posted:

Forwarding RDP out to the 'net is a great way to get a whole bunch of Chinese botnets hammering your PC.

That didn't stop Hillary

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Alpha Mayo posted:

That didn't stop Hillary

But what about SMBenghazi

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Kazinsal posted:

i've been RDPing into my home computer from work over the default port for the past 3 years. No chinese botnets yet.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Holyshoot posted:

i've been RDPing into my home computer from work over the default port for the past 3 years. No chinese botnets yet.
Do you check your logs for failed logins? You probably have a strong password.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Holyshoot posted:

I can guarantee you they've been hitting it. They might not have gotten in but if you turn on credential audit logging (Group policy editor, Computer Configuration/Policies/WindowsSettings/Security Settings/Advanced Audit Policy Configuration/Account Logon/Audit Credential Validation, enable logging failures) and watch the Security section of Event Viewer over the course of a day you'll see some crazy poo poo.

At least lock that poo poo down to your office's IP address.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Kazinsal posted:

I can guarantee you they've been hitting it. They might not have gotten in but if you turn on credential audit logging (Group policy editor, Computer Configuration/Policies/WindowsSettings/Security Settings/Advanced Audit Policy Configuration/Account Logon/Audit Credential Validation, enable logging failures) and watch the Security section of Event Viewer over the course of a day you'll see some crazy poo poo.

is this china?

its the only thing to show up since enabling that, my office is fine.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
He meant blacklist all IPs, then whitelist only the IPs you're going to connect from.

Better still would be to whitelist only your local IP range, then use an SSH tunnel.

So you'd SSH into a local machine on your local network from work, THEN open up an RDP session.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I used to use SSH tunnels and RDP to grab assignments I forgot and get around the restrictive filter back in High School. Classic stuff.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Kazinsal posted:

I can guarantee you they've been hitting it.

literally any computer accessible from the wider internet is undergoing a continuous 24/7 pen test, whether the owner realises or not.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I guess I don't know what ssh is anymore because to me I imagine a terminal window and a command line prompt, which sort of defeats the purpose of a remote desktop.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Craptacular! posted:

I guess I don't know what ssh is anymore because to me I imagine a terminal window and a command line prompt, which sort of defeats the purpose of a remote desktop.

You can use a terminal like that to establish a SSH connection and then utilize the pipe to open a normal RDP session through it.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Craptacular! posted:

SSH can also forward any port locally to any port remotely after you've set up the SSH tunnel.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
SSH over 443 or 80 outbound is clutch

Also, I'm winding down selling it all. Profits are garbage.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Risky Bisquick posted:

My eBay buyers left me feedback today... never seen anyone so happy to get $600 PNY 1070 blower cards...

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Craptacular! posted:

Expanding on what the others said, SSH is a generic secure tunnel protocol. It just happens to be most famous for tunneling a terminal session.

You can also use it to transfer files (commonly known as SFTP), pass X11 signaling (remotely running a GUI application that displays as a window on your local machine), forwarding a port on your local machine to a port on the remote machine (or any network it can access), forwarding a port on the remote machine to a port on your local machine (or any network it can access), creating a local SOCKS proxy which passes traffic to the remote system and access the network at the remote end as if it was that machine, and even being a full-out VPN (currently only implemented in OpenSSH).

I use the SOCKS proxy feature all the time to access phones on remote customer networks. SSH to the firewall we control with the SOCKS tunnel enabled and switch on the proxy in Firefox, suddenly that browser can access the entire voice LAN at the remote location as if I were there. I can also transfer packet captures back from the firewall over the same session, encrypted and compressed.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Finally managed to get $25 out of nicehash, to coinbase, and into Gyft for an amazon card. Dancing around the geo locks was super annoying but now that it's all learned to accept my work American VPN, it should be pretty straightforward. The 1070 is back up to about $2.5/day which kind of sucks but not completely useless any more. I was considering selling it but it seems that the apocalyptic crash hasn't happened (yet) and I might be able to ride it out closer to the 11xx launch so I don't have to live with the 650Ti.

Risky Bisquick posted:

SSH over 443 or 80 outbound is clutch

Our office network used to block external RDP connections so I configured it to use a different port, thinking that would be enough to fool it. But nope. Then I spent a lot of time setting up SSH tunneling, only for it, too, to be blocked, no matter what port :(

Kazinsal posted:

I've never noticed anything extraordinary but I just cleared the log so let's see what happens by tomorrow :suspense:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
DNS tunneling :getin:

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

mobby_6kl posted:

I've never noticed anything extraordinary but I just cleared the log so let's see what happens by tomorrow :suspense:

Have fun. The one time I exposed my SSH port to the internet my access log blew up to 5gb in two hours (make sure you're using asymmetric key auth and not just a passphrase)

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Only 2 cards left to sell :smug: It was real bois

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
hashes absorbed, soon I will become The One

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
https://twitter.com/lachlan/status/...er%3D979%23pti1

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Risky Bisquick posted:

Only 2 0 cards left to sell :smug: It was real bois

Cashed out :smug:

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Nice job. You touched the poop and got out clean .

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
This thread is so toast.

Here's my winminer history after nicehash stole my 40 dollars. I played a lot of PUBG on xmas break.

It's been getting cold at night the last couple days. But the second this room starts getting too warm, this game is over.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'm back up to about $3/day with the 1070 so I think I'll make it closer to the Ampere release.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Jago posted:

This thread is so toast.

Here's my winminer history after nicehash stole my 40 dollars. I played a lot of PUBG on xmas break.

It's been getting cold at night the last couple days. But the second this room starts getting too warm, this game is over.

Same, I am fine with 2 bucks a day cause why not its free money (i dont pay electric) but as soon as it starts to be 85+ outside it's going off.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
It's looking like Vitalik is going to get to try his well poisoning this year when Bitmain drops the F3.

quote:

Bitmain is about to release F3, the ethereum ASIC miner. It’s reported that every miner is mounted with 3 mainboards. On each mainboard there are 6 ASIC processors, each of which has 32 1GB DDR3 memory. Therefore, one unit of F3 miner contains 72 Gigabyte DRAM memory.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Risky Bisquick posted:

It's looking like Vitalik is going to get to try his well poisoning this year when Bitmain drops the F3.

Looks like it's 650 MH/s at 750W, so roughly 3-4x the efficiency of a GPU. That actually means ASIC-resistance is working, otherwise it would be hundreds/thousands of times more efficient.

The only thing ASIC-resistance guarantees is that an ASIC needs to have a GPU-like memory subsystem that can feed it a tremendous amount of bandwidth, compared to the trivial bandwidth of first-gen coins (actually zero for Bitcoin). This means that the limit on efficiency is ultimately the memory subsystem - it does not guarantee that you can't make the actual act of computation more efficient. Remember, at the end of the day a GPU is a kind of ASIC too. It might be better to think of ASIC-resistance as resistance against only trivial ASICs of the kind that wrekt Bitcoin back in 2014.

Be interesting to see how Vitalik reacts to this info. PoS seems unlikely to ever work at this point... he's a year and a half behind schedule already and his timeframe slipped back to "3-5 years" in November.

It's also worth noting that Ethereum is one of the more memory-hard algorithms out there at the moment, IMO. I really question whether some of the coins based on Lyra2v2 and Equihash are really ASIC-resistant in the first place.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Feb 13, 2018

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
By the way, if Bitmain is doing ASICs, that's another strong signal (on top of Ampere/Turing coming) that you should sell your hardware while the getting is good. Each of those Bitmain ASICs will displace 20 580s or 25 570s, at 4x the efficiency. If they can ship them in any real volume (and there's no reason to doubt they can, Bitmain is an established player) then it's going to spike the difficulty real good.

Yeah there's other coins to mine but everybody else will be doing that too, and most of those other coins don't have a deep enough network to absorb the kind of capacity that is going to be available after Ethereum goes ASIC. ASICs tanked the GPU market for the first time 4 years ago, they could easily do it again.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Feb 13, 2018

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/JamesHitchcock/status/963084258708480001

I mean, no one should be reading Salon anyway, but that's goddam hilarious.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I'm currently in this process. Put about 5k in total, and today recouped that officially with a huge profit of 5(five) dollars in my bank account.

The rest of the fun money I put into a couple of mining companies and the contracts expire over the next few months so theoretically I've got another 5k coming, it's all profit now.

Cloud mining is a huge scam btw, I'm closing all this stuff and I guess theoretically out of the poop

I'd continue in the game but I really don't want a tax headache over this.

With all the regulations coming, it's just not going to be worth it. It's sad because all in all it's been about a couple extra hundred per month which is not huge but it's nice.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

By the way, if Bitmain is doing ASICs, that's another strong signal (on top of Ampere/Turing coming) that you should sell your hardware while the getting is good. Each of those Bitmain ASICs will displace 20 580s or 25 570s, at 4x the efficiency. If they can ship them in any real volume (and there's no reason to doubt they can, Bitmain is an established player) then it's going to spike the difficulty real good.

supposedly bitmain is ordering more 16nm wafers from TSMC per month than nvidia

they're going to flood the market with those things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

repiv posted:

supposedly bitmain is ordering more 16nm wafers from TSMC per month than nvidia

they're going to flood the market with those things

Seems really dumb considering Vitalik keeps harping about how Eth is going to switch to Proof of Stake real soon now and miners have less than a year left and so on

• Locked thread