Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

fletcher posted:

You are doing yourself a disservice by playing passively. You will rank up, sure, but your skills aren't actually improving. So you'll get to a point where you are playing with skilled players but your skills are lacking.

Land in populated areas. Take fights. Run towards gunfire/airdrops. Basically want to get as much practice shooting as you can. You'll die more, but your skills will be improving.

Didn't even know there was a rank system. How do I see what rank I am?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i'll never get good at shooting in this game.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

^ not with that attitude! What mouse/dpi/sens/fov are you using

drunken officeparty posted:

Am I playing solo wrong by just kind of...running away? I spend most of my time doing my own thing and then suddenly I'm in the top 20 or 10 and die.

Run towards gunshots and murder them for making that racket

Click on career/leaderboards on main menu. Alternatively pubg.op.gg has a ton of stats too

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

New Zealand can eat me posted:

LOL if you dont have PUBGSettings dotcom bookmarked.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's just more i was once (quite) good at normal fps games back in the day but i can't quite get the hang of how it works in pubg.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

time for a joke posted:

so is it of your opinion that people shouldn't be answering questions directed at them? is it because this is "your" thread, or is there another reason? genuine question, please respond w/o sarcasm this time.

edit:

i'll make an effortpost tonight when i get home, assuming it's ok and this guy doesn't flip out on me for doing so :shrug:

fyi you're arguing with infamously the most unlikable person on any SA-affiliated discord server

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Herstory Begins Now posted:

fyi you're arguing with infamously the most unlikable person on any SA-affiliated discord server

Tell them about my exclusive private channel that I use to play only with people who are good enough.

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.
I feel like I'm getting better at shooting, but my tactics/strategy definitely needs improvement.

My biggest handicap is that I'm deaf in one ear and play with headphones with all sound channeled into that ear. I can rarely tell where shots or footsteps are coming from most of the time.

Anyone with a similar malady ever figure out a way around that?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Groovelord Neato posted:

i'll never get good at shooting in this game.

You have to compensate for travel time, bullet speed, bullet drop, and lag from other regions players. Past 400 meters that can be a bit much.

time for a joke
Apr 30, 2004

Herstory Begins Now posted:

good to know. i guess sometimes life makes it so negative attention is desirable : - )

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

If I post before 5pm PST, PM my boss and tell him I'm fired.

Shannow posted:

So my car got blown up and i got sent spinning into orbit

Godspeed Starman :patriot:

PSA for "fullscreen" users: when alt tabbing, if your game screen doesn't actually go black with a small bit of a transition delay, you're not actually in full screen. Evidently I've been running some form of Windowed mode for quite some time despite the in-game setting being set to "Fullscreen". I checked a number of things, but the last setting that seem to have made a difference was checking "Disable fullscreen optimizations" under the game exe's Properties -> compatibility tab. I'm getting quite a bit better FPS now as a result.

speedtek
Nov 26, 2004

Let's make it out, baby.
Hell yeah! Kids are in bed, wife is off doing her own thing, time to get lost in some PUBG!

quote:

PC players, as announced, we are applying our anti-cheat update and red zone sound adjustments to our live servers. The servers are now down for maintenance, and we anticipate it to last 3 hours.

Oh :(

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Just play a different game, there’s a few around.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

drunken officeparty posted:

Didn't even know there was a rank system. How do I see what rank I am?

You can look yourself up on sites like https://pubg.op.gg/ (there's a bunch of them out there)

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

I don't think I really played the game since October, and played a few games when 1.0 launched, but had the crew play tonight.

We won but that's besides the point, the game was 100+ fps, which stunned me. I've got an i7 920 with 8 gigs of some busted rear end ram and a decent gpu and never thought they'd tighten the screws enough for me to hit my 90hz screen refresh rate

Anyways we won in fpp and it was fun, one guy in our group was reticent to play first person though, he changed his tune once we started rolling

I'm still surprised at the optimization. Hearing people talk I assumed the new map had most of the optimization because they put more forethought into it, but erangel on the queue island wasn't a stuttery 30fps

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
i think someone forgot to turn the servers back on

KingNastidon
Jun 25, 2004

Doorknob Slobber posted:

i think someone forgot to turn the servers back on

Have they ever explained why they have to take the servers completely down for 3-5 hours to implement a patch? Like sure, it's certainly lame to get annoyed about not being able to play a video game one night every 3 weeks or whatever, but this is some low rent poo poo for one of the most popular games in the year 2018.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
OK PUBG. I WON'T CHAT WITH MY FRIENDS WHILE PLAYING.

19:18:58: Starting BattlEye Service...

19:19:02: Launching game...
19:20:21: Note: File blocks can be ignored if they don't cause problems with the game.
19:20:21: [INFO] Blocked loading of file: "C:\Program Files\YakYak-win32-x64\YakYak.exe".

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

KingNastidon posted:

Have they ever explained why they have to take the servers completely down for 3-5 hours to implement a patch? Like sure, it's certainly lame to get annoyed about not being able to play a video game one night every 3 weeks or whatever, but this is some low rent poo poo for one of the most popular games in the year 2018.

US primetime is the Chinese downtime so when they fart out a patch it's when everybody is in the office working on it. I don't think any of the past 3 or 4 patches have actually come out in time without something loving up.

Also they have to apply the patch to a heap of servers since, you know, 2.5 million people playing a day.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Party Plane Jones posted:

US primetime is the Chinese downtime so when they fart out a patch it's when everybody is in the office working on it. I don't think any of the past 3 or 4 patches have actually come out in time without something loving up.

Also they have to apply the patch to a heap of servers since, you know, 2.5 million people playing a day.

It's more about it being the Korean work day, when the Korean devs are doing Korean work. Just saying. It is also less disruptive to Chinese prime time, who are the majority of the players of this game by a large margin.

KingNastidon
Jun 25, 2004

VulgarandStupid posted:

It's more about it being the Korean work day, when the Korean devs are doing Korean work. Just saying. It is also less disruptive to Chinese prime time, who are the majority of the players of this game by a large margin.

I understand the work hours aspect in regards to timing, but I don't think a DotA patch requires all servers to be taken down for 5 hours. Usually just get a notice that the game is out of date, patch up, and you're off. I could be totally off-base as I've essentially only played the same 3 game franchises for 20 years, but is this really normal? Life goes on obviously, but are phased roll-outs or hot patches really an impossibility given the cash they have at their disposal?

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Different infrastructure requires different types of downtime. I have seen MMOs that can do massive updates with zero downtime besides a client restart and other games that took 8+ hours every time.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
you americans gotta learn to deal with not being the main market like every other country has been doing for decades

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

underage at the vape shop posted:

you americans gotta learn to deal with not being the main market like every other country has been doing for decades

Well that's not really in question here so whatever. I'm sure the Chinese are also annoyed by 5 hour downtimes.

I agree with KingNastidon. Looks like they are running several separate servers for each region, and I'd expect it to be possible to patch once server at a time, so no region is ever unserved. Since it's a cloud service, they could even deploy the patch on new servers and then take down the old one once the old one looks like it's working.

I can think of two potential reasons why this wouldn't work for PUBG though. Further speculation is welcome.

* Balance changes would mess with the scoreboards/ranking: If a patch affects game balance, for example by nerfing a gun, some players would be playing with the powerful version while others would simultaneously be playing on a patched server with the nerfed version. Then the rankings might not be considered completely fair. In my opinion, the minor kind of patches we've seen since 1.0 are small enough to ignore this factor, but hypothetically Bluehole could be obsessed enough about "esports readiness" to care about it?

* Some central service requires all game servers to be on the same version. For instance, if there is a master ranking server that has to be online for scoreboards to work, and for some reason it has to be taken offline as soon as every game server is not on the same patch level. Then all the patching must be completed before the servers can be opened again. This could be the case because of a software architecture that didn't take seamless upgrades into account.

The first seems a bit stupid and unlikely and the second seems marginally less stupid and more likely. I know it's not like they are charging players per hour, so they might not be highly motivated to achieve "five nines" uptime. As KingNastidon said, others have solved this problem before with smaller sales numbers so it can't be technically impossible.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Feb 8, 2018

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
I don't recall ever having been able (allowed?) to play an online game with people whose version of it differed from mine.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Parallel Playa posted:

I don't recall ever having been able (allowed?) to play an online game with people whose version of it differed from mine.

You have to differentiate between server versions (server downtime being the topic at the moment) and client versions. As a game operator, you probably would require that all connecting clients have a certain client version. You'd want them all to match the version running on the server. But it's not necessary to roll out client updates for every server update or vice versa. (In fact if Bluehole didn't have these huge server downtimes at updates, I would have wagered that they were constantly tweaking server software in the background without us noticing.)

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
the chinese don't care because they are in bed/working just like americans have never cared that europeans and australians can't play games sometimes when americans are in bed/working

yall are acting like speak to the manager soccer mums cause they want to update their game

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

underage at the vape shop posted:

those countries all play the lovely mode so gently caress em.

speedtek
Nov 26, 2004

Let's make it out, baby.
After moping for a little while last night because I had no desire to play any other game, I realized there was still the Test Server. So I installed that and, though it took a few attempts per game to get into Matchmaking, it still worked.

Then I realized that since I suck, I should always play the Test Server until I git gud. Is this a terrible idea?

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

speedtek posted:

After moping for a little while last night because I had no desire to play any other game, I realized there was still the Test Server. So I installed that and, though it took a few attempts per game to get into Matchmaking, it still worked.

Then I realized that since I suck, I should always play the Test Server until I git gud. Is this a terrible idea?

You haven't really outlined why you would. What's wrong with being bad on live?

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Parallel Playa posted:

You haven't really outlined why you would. What's wrong with being bad on live?

MY RANK

speedtek
Nov 26, 2004

Let's make it out, baby.

I mean.. slightly I guess. It hasn't stopped me so far though. I guess the real question is, aside from the ranking & rewards system is there any significant difference between the servers?

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's just more i was once (quite) good at normal fps games back in the day but i can't quite get the hang of how it works in pubg.

Mice used to have a lower DPI, you should lower your sensitivity

Maybe set your FOV to 103 if it aint

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Mice used to have a lower DPI, you should lower your sensitivity

Or raise the sensitivity. While looking through some of my deaths, I realize that very often I zero in on a perfect headshot -- just a few feet to the right or left. Can one adjust just the X-axis sensitivity? I think that's where I'm loving up the most, for some reason.

I just want to chime in to say I finally got this game and haven't played online shooters since...Unreal Tournament 2004, I think. Since I die so quickly, I played about five games in twenty minutes, which because of the way the matchmaking works (is there NO WAY to look at a list of servers? I guess for a 100 person deathmatch it doesn't really matter, but still, it's weird) I assume are a fresh bunch of people, and consistently, every single time, the lobby is just a full 60 seconds of kids in the worst throes of puberty shouting homophobic and racial slurs. Thirty kids shouting the n word at each other so loudly that it's really just kind of a two-syllable burst of garbled static.

Just like the good old days.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

speedtek posted:

I mean.. slightly I guess. It hasn't stopped me so far though. I guess the real question is, aside from the ranking & rewards system is there any significant difference between the servers?

The ranking system is really flawed but at least it caters to improvement to some extent. Test servers have no MMR (afaik, someone correct me if I'm wrong) and fewer people in general. You'll not only get to play on the test server less; you'll also run into people loving around or trying out gimmicky playstyles more than on live.

Honestly, if you want to get better then just play on live. Use stats as no more than a suboptimal way to measure progress and start caring about rank when you're happy with your skill level. Also, hit me up if you want to go over a few games or problematic scenarios that you keep running into. I like to think I'm decent at the game and I'm sure I'll be able to give you some pointers.

Lastly, if you really do care about rank that much: use one region as a training grounds and reserve another for the real deal. The test servers sucks for that.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I don't agree with this. This ain't no Quake.

That extra FOV might be moderately helpful mid range, but short range you should be able to hear them before you see them, and long range it actually hurts you as people become smaller and harder to spot.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Ziploc posted:

OK PUBG. I WON'T CHAT WITH MY FRIENDS WHILE PLAYING.

19:18:58: Starting BattlEye Service...

19:19:02: Launching game...
19:20:21: Note: File blocks can be ignored if they don't cause problems with the game.
19:20:21: [INFO] Blocked loading of file: "C:\Program Files\YakYak-win32-x64\YakYak.exe".

Does it try to do an overlay of any sort? If so that's why. Disable the overlay or get your friends to use something normal that's in BattlEye's whitelist.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

Elman posted:

I don't agree with this. This ain't no Quake.

That extra FOV might be moderately helpful mid range, but short range you should be able to hear them before you see them, and long range it actually hurts you as people become smaller and harder to spot.

Dig through http://www.pubgconfig.com/, you'll find that most people better than you also use 103

Shroud… Viss… Break… Choco, they're all wrong lol

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

credburn posted:

Or raise the sensitivity. While looking through some of my deaths, I realize that very often I zero in on a perfect headshot -- just a few feet to the right or left. Can one adjust just the X-axis sensitivity? I think that's where I'm loving up the most, for some reason.

I just want to chime in to say I finally got this game and haven't played online shooters since...Unreal Tournament 2004, I think. Since I die so quickly, I played about five games in twenty minutes, which because of the way the matchmaking works (is there NO WAY to look at a list of servers? I guess for a 100 person deathmatch it doesn't really matter, but still, it's weird) I assume are a fresh bunch of people, and consistently, every single time, the lobby is just a full 60 seconds of kids in the worst throes of puberty shouting homophobic and racial slurs. Thirty kids shouting the n word at each other so loudly that it's really just kind of a two-syllable burst of garbled static.

Just like the good old days.

Press ctrl + T to mute voice chat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

You could try making friends with them, too