Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

drrockso20 posted:

The only ones I don't like are the first Fusion forms that Takuya and Kouji get, cause they are ridiculously lazy(they should have just given the while group the Ancient Spirits as an upgrade and then later give the main 2 the special 5 Spirit fusions)

They're lazy because they're toyetic. Aldamon and Beowulfmon (and the unused Reichmon, Koichi's Double Spirit Evolution) are blatantly made to be toys, being able to be easily fused from the parts of the previous forms, thus giving a gimmick to a toyline. AncientGreymon and AncientGarurumon are exactly the same, thus raising the point even further, you can make four different forms by owning just two toys! Toyetic!

The others don't get the same toyeticness in their Double Spirit forms (or the Ancient Digimon that gave them their powers) simply because they were never meant to appear or to sell, because this is the Takuya and Koji show. Koichi gets the treatment because he was meant to get Double Spirit the moment he switched sides, but the writers decided not to instead, likely because it'd mean having someone else on the level of Takuya and Koji even if it was for very few episodes until they got their newest power up that made everyone else into cheerleaders.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Heck, now that I think about it, Frontier is perfectly alright if you stop when Cherubimon is defeated. By that point you get to hear The Last Element anyways, so that's worth the price of admission and you can just pretend they all went home after.

Nah, even by that point it is bad. It's not like everyone else being worthless started with KaiserGreymon and MagnaGarurumon, that only made it more obvious, by that point Tomoki had his entry episode stolen from him, Junpei was nothing but bad comedy relief and, as the complainer, always wrong, and Izumi was literally worthless if her opponent wasn't Ranamon, losing to such great threats as a goddamn wall (context: in Cherubimon's castle, everyone had to break a wall for one reason or another. Everyone else succeeds, Fairymon bounces off of it, accomplishing nothing). The only character at that point that had more relevance than he'd have later is Koichi, and he joined only slightly before Cherubimon died anyways.

The Last Element is an amazing song though, I won't deny that. So is With the Will though!

TFRazorsaw posted:

I still think Lucemon is interesting. The Dark Knights, not so much, and I get not liking the show once they show up, but when Lucemon is around and doing things he's pretty great.

Oh, I definitely agree. Lucemon is a pretty neat villain, too bad that the plot of his arc is awful, but he still ends up as a really neat antagonist for the final battle. The Royal Knights are bad because their plot is bad, but at least LordKnightmon has some amusing moments. Dynasmon barely exists though, but he makes some scary as poo poo faces that will forever haunt my nightmares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Lol if you think Digimon being toyetic is new.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

PMush Perfect posted:

Lol if you think Digimon being toyetic is new.

Oh, no doubt. Digimon has always existed To Sell Toys and that is never something I can hold against a series (I watch Super Sentai and Kamen Rider, that alone should tell you that I enjoy my toys). You have examples as early as Adventure with WarGreymon's shield existing so the Agumon->WarGreymon toy transformation could happen, just to give an example, or just the Digivices and other things that blatantly exist to sell toys, magnified when they get changes in-series so they have more toys to sell.

I enjoy my toys though, so that's all fine for me. Even if I haven't bought a toy in years and years, I think the last Digimon toys I got were those 02 Armor Digimon that turned into their Digimentals, specifically Lighdramon and Shurimon. I'd love to get some of the new ones (especially that Beelzebumon figure that looked amazing) but goddamn they're expensive.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Reminder: WarGreymon and MetalGarurumon were designed as transforming toys first, the new figures are just the original ones with retooling to make them better.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Blaze Dragon posted:

Nah, even by that point it is bad. It's not like everyone else being worthless started with KaiserGreymon and MagnaGarurumon, that only made it more obvious, by that point Tomoki had his entry episode stolen from him, Junpei was nothing but bad comedy relief and, as the complainer, always wrong, and Izumi was literally worthless if her opponent wasn't Ranamon, losing to such great threats as a goddamn wall (context: in Cherubimon's castle, everyone had to break a wall for one reason or another. Everyone else succeeds, Fairymon bounces off of it, accomplishing nothing). The only character at that point that had more relevance than he'd have later is Koichi, and he joined only slightly before Cherubimon died anyways.

The Last Element is an amazing song though, I won't deny that. So is With the Will though!

It deffo has issues by then, but I'm thinking it's a more "cut your losses" scenario if you finish at Cherubimon. You pretty much get everyone's highlights, see the problems that plague the show and get to most of the hypest parts, while getting to avoid the problems making things completely unwatcheable.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I don't really recall Junpei doing much complaining after getting his Beast Spirit.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/Digisoulweb/status/954363711480836096

:lol:

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

drrockso20 posted:

The only ones I don't like are the first Fusion forms that Takuya and Kouji get, cause they are ridiculously lazy(they should have just given the while group the Ancient Spirits as an upgrade and then later give the main 2 the special 5 Spirit fusions)

one of them is just a giant sepheroth and it's supposed to be a beast grumble mon's beast form is aso really uninspired also kazemon

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Sakkakumon is pretty great imo. I love how abstract and odd he is, and how he's less of a single Digimon and more of an entire dungeon.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/Digisoulweb/status/954557441718587392

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Shield -> Shield -> Shieldman -> MirageGaogamon is a pretty logical line.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

Shield -> Shield -> Shieldman -> MirageGaogamon is a pretty logical line.

To be fair, it's meant to be a shield with an animal's face on it, not the handle in its back.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

That’s pretty clearly an homage to MirageGaogamon though

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Blaze Dragon posted:

Shield -> Shield -> Shieldman -> MirageGaogamon
Something about the jump from generic to specific made this really funny to me.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

TFRazorsaw posted:

That’s pretty clearly an homage to MirageGaogamon though

Not deliberately:

Kenji Watanabe posted:

Mirage and TheiaRudo have different design concepts, but... since they're designed by the same person, considering the number of designs I do I guess some of them would start resembling each other, so hopefully I can be forgiven... or not (^^;;
Source: https://twitter.com/jinke_jinke/status/955014240225583104

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Oh come on, if there was ever a situation to lie and say it was your plan all along, that was it.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Oh Ludomon....
https://twitter.com/bandai_digimon/status/955277533607477248

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

... that's very strange. Considering he randomly changes colors and Zubamon was mentioned as them wanting to try and do a new take on Omegamon as a different kind of digimon, I thought it was a sure bet.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Aw, I liked Ludomon more when he was just a weird little robot guy.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Poor thing:
https://twitter.com/jinke_jinke/status/955289067670810624

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Interesting write up about the franchise

http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com/2018/01/23/more-than-just-monsters-why-digimon-is-a-techno-philosophical-masterpiece/

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/onkeikun/status/957199206741172225
https://twitter.com/onkeikun/status/957200873242972160
https://twitter.com/onkeikun/status/957201114193113089
:rip: Pipimon

More tidbits about the stream with Habu, Konaka and Kakudou at the thread.

Cheapsteaks
Apr 25, 2008

Getting a heavy metal avatar leads to far fewer regrets than a heavy metal tattoo.
I know Digimon Savers chat was a bit earlier on, but a while ago I finished watching through it for the first time. It was a bit sillier and more over top than the other shows, not just due to the shouting and fighting and hotbloodedness, but some of the filler eps right before they go into the Digital World were really, really anime. I mean, that's a given, but they were a lot more anime than earlier Digimon seasons ever got.

One of the weirdest things to me though is how every Digimon went mega on the same episode. It made sense from a combat point of view that they needed to go mega to fight the Bio Digimon that were causing them trouble, but it still feels odd to have everyone go mega at the same time. Digimon Adventure did have both of its megas show up in the same episode, true, but in this Savers it stood out because there were episodes right after where they fight the bio hybrids one on one. They almost could have held out and introduced the mega forms there, which would have given each one more focus.

Of course later on in the series both Rosemon and Ravenmon get their burst mode in the same episode, but that's because in the Digimon pecking order women and children are on the same tier.

I guess this stuck out to me a lot watching the series.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

So, I've been watching Digimon Tamers with my gf (this is her first time seeing it) and we're doing dub on crunchyroll (curse you, licencing) while I then rewatch some key moments in the latin dub via :files: It's been interesting. It's not the ideal experience, but some of the jokes land and most of what's done is adding lines to quiet moments. There's not too much deviation, and when there is, it's usually to make stuff clearer [even though I don't trust their clarity] or just an understandable tonal shift.

Which all leads into the most interesting case of dubbing i've seen in a bit: Takato's reaction to Juri's grief. In the dub, he's fighting Beelzemon for her and to protect everyone. When they're in Azulongmon's cloud thingy, she breaks down a bit after he says she's a good person, explaining in detail that her stepmom has tried to be her friend and she's rejected her, she expresses her whole thing and Takato tries to reassure her that she's still a good person. Then, after reaching the real world and being in a train ride, Takato expresses his crush on her, how he wishes things would be like they used, how much it hurt him not being able to save Leomon and finally that her not talking to him is really, really hurting him.

In the latin dub (which, afaik, is basically 1:1), he talks a shitton about fighting for Justice in that fight, but it's more of a justification to kill Beelzemon than anything. Juri's speech about not being a good person... well "When my mother died, I stopped crying after a few days. My new mom is a very good person to me, and sometimes I think I love her, but-" and Takato just yells at her to stop. The train ride, Takato stops himself short from a confession. He then says he does not like seeing her like that (with the empty gaze), how he hates Leomon's death making her so sad (with self-blaming) and that he swore to return her to the real world with her smile, and seeing her not have that hurts him.

It's just the slight shift that makes Dub Takato an altruistic leader with a crush, vs Sub Takato being a child trying to lead, who does not know how to deal with grief or help others through it. It's fascinating. The latter take is much more nuanced, but the former makes Takato more enjoyable, specially for young children (I remember not really getting the train scene when I saw it as a kid)

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Dub Takato also does not really hide behind the justification of justice

Dude is just out for revenge when he tries to kill Beelzemon.

He's weirdly more straight forward and honest, though also completely out of his depth

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Burkion posted:

Dub Takato also does not really hide behind the justification of justice

Dude is just out for revenge when he tries to kill Beelzemon.

He's weirdly more straight forward and honest, though also completely out of his depth

Exactly. I think there's a bit here or there about protecting everyone by stopping Beelzemon, but for the most part he makes it abundantly clear that Beelzemon's about to get murdered because he wants to murder Beelzemon.

He loses some depth in the dub via this straightforwardness and honesty, but it makes it so much easier to root for him, while still keeping a lot of his flaws. It's a really interesting deviation.

The only thing in the dub i'd say is straight up a ruining bit is having the Devas say they want to take over the world and enslave the humans. It diminishes the bit of Henry's master saying that good and evil are relative, and it buries the message about everyone is simply looking to live their lives in their own ways.
Beyond that, I can see why some prefer the dub. The music may be weaker, imo, but Tamer's dub's the strongest musicalization i've heard from in any digimon dub. The theme for 'biomerging' evoultion is an excellent remix of the digimon theme, which is also insane because the digimon theme is hot garbage, so kudos on churning out good music out of it. And I get surprised rather often how I'd go back to a scene in the latin dub and hear lines go on to sharing the idea or even being straight up verbatim.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jan 30, 2018

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The Bandai_Digimon Twitter posted a short story about Frontier's prototype, with some images. And thankfully, Digisoul.net translated it into Spanish so I don't have to learn Japanese to know it!

"A little story to talk about Digimon Frontier's 15th anniversary. Originally, the concept was one of battles between Digimon that'd happen in Battle Stadium. A monster (Digimon) and a human would join to fight 1-on-1. The original Flamemon lacks the details of its tail and horns because that Digimon was hard to control."

My translation of their translation may be a bit awkward here, I'm not entirely sure if "datos" here meant "details" or "data", for instance. Regardless, here's the tweets themselves with the images.

https://twitter.com/bandai_digimon/status/961435254031437824
https://twitter.com/bandai_digimon/status/961436604832231424

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So out of curiosity, why are all the Digimon shows on Crunchyroll aside from Xros Wars Hunters and Adventure Tri dub only? Some kind of rights issue?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Those shows just flat out haven’t been professionally translated yet.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

Those shows just flat out haven’t been professionally translated yet.

Ah, for some reason I thought Crunchyroll subbed the shows they put up themselves.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

They do. But the versions of those shows they gave up aren’t the Japanese originals, they’re the edited dub, which means they haven’t been given the material they need to translate Adventure, 02, Tamers, and Frontier for whatever reason.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

They do. But the versions of those shows they gave up aren’t the Japanese originals, they’re the edited dub, which means they haven’t been given the material they need to translate Adventure, 02, Tamers, and Frontier for whatever reason.

So in that case why aren't Savers (Data Squad) and Xros Wars (Fusion) up there as well? I know they both got complete dubs (up to the first half of the latter at any rate).

As far as dubs go, the Digimon ones aren't terrible (in fact, there are a few characters who sound better in English than they do in Japanese) but I'm not fond of some of the changes they made. For example, the final boss of Adventure whose name escapes me at the moment is kind of turned into a joke in the English version (though I believe he's still angsty as gently caress in the orignal too).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Feb 8, 2018

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Savers/Data Squad I believe is a rights issue. Either with Disney or the company through which it got its original home video release.

Xros Wars was subbed by CR as it aired in Japan so I think it might be a case of Fusion (the dub) being treated as a separate license.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Nodosaur posted:

Xros Wars was subbed by CR as it aired in Japan so I think it might be a case of Fusion (the dub) being treated as a separate license.

Was it? I distinctively remember fansubs being the only way to get to it, and fansubs don't seem to pop up with official subs existing for obvious reasons.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Small correction - they were subbing Hunters (which is really just the third cour of XW) week to week, with the rest of XW following suit as they went along. The first cour and Death Generals were done as fansubs before that.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Exactly. I think there's a bit here or there about protecting everyone by stopping Beelzemon, but for the most part he makes it abundantly clear that Beelzemon's about to get murdered because he wants to murder Beelzemon.

He loses some depth in the dub via this straightforwardness and honesty, but it makes it so much easier to root for him, while still keeping a lot of his flaws. It's a really interesting deviation.

The only thing in the dub i'd say is straight up a ruining bit is having the Devas say they want to take over the world and enslave the humans. It diminishes the bit of Henry's master saying that good and evil are relative, and it buries the message about everyone is simply looking to live their lives in their own ways.
Beyond that, I can see why some prefer the dub. The music may be weaker, imo, but Tamer's dub's the strongest musicalization i've heard from in any digimon dub. The theme for 'biomerging' evoultion is an excellent remix of the digimon theme, which is also insane because the digimon theme is hot garbage, so kudos on churning out good music out of it. And I get surprised rather often how I'd go back to a scene in the latin dub and hear lines go on to sharing the idea or even being straight up verbatim.

I agree that the Devas are presented as too malicious to make the moral relativism fit that well, but I like that it displays them more as fanatics willing to take their relatively noble goal to an extreme. The humans (HYPNOS) tried to wipe them out, so they’re just fine returning the favor. Also, yes, the Biomerge theme is great.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
I remember watching subtitled versions of 01 and 02 (with proper translations) on Funimation online years ago. They did exist. Not sure where they went.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

They were terrible and part of a previous deal. Toei also hasn't shared those translations with anyone as they haven't appeared anywhere else aside from the streaming services they showed up on.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6ehdg8

New Tri part 6 trailer

The final, true conclusive answer of what Tailmon's Ultimate will be has been answered.

It's Holydramon.

Also Devimon is there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Turns out we're still keeping a vague notion of canon and Tailmon keeps the same Mega she had last time she evolved on-screen, even if it was in a movie that can't fit anywhere in the story. How unsurprising. I'm glad though, I like keeping continuity and Tri has not been that good at it.