Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

I thought Dark Moon was okay, but there’s no reason to play it instead of The Resistance or Avalon. As someone said, your choice is always essentially “do the good thing” or “do the obvious bad thing because you can’t prove it was me”. It boils down to the success/fail choice that The Resistance gives you, except Dark Moon covers it in junk to make it seem more nuanced than that. Dark Moon’s dice can also leave you with no choice at all, similar Secret Hitler’s policy cards.

Do people enjoy playing Resistance or Avalon online? I think it, and Dark Moon, would make awful forums games because they are all about social cues. You need to see and hear how people react because there’s no solid evidence at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Crackbone posted:

Honestly, there are very few games that I think the thread would say pay $180 for. .
Napoleon’s Triumph, Twilight Struggle CE, and Roads and Boats?

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Chill la Chill posted:

Gloomhaven is going to be in there shortly.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Medium Style posted:

Do people enjoy playing Resistance or Avalon online? I think it, and Dark Moon, would make awful forums games because they are all about social cues. You need to see and hear how people react because there’s no solid evidence at all.
People have been playing Mafia on this forum for as long as I can remember, which still blows my mind.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Jedit posted:

I bet you get a lot of 3-0 sweeps to the Spies.

Literally never have, and the Resistance has a winning record.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

Some Numbers posted:

A spy is 100% going to exclude other spies, but a Resistance member is 100% going to include himself because she knows that she's Resistance. There's no situation that you can construct in which a person would not want themselves on the team, because putting a person who's 100% on your team is better than picking someone at random.

Except the resistance only have a certain number of opportunities to test people's mission success selections and the whole team's voting patterns, and picking yourself early gives you little information for the late game.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

Except the resistance only have a certain number of opportunities to test people's mission success selections and the whole team's voting patterns, and picking yourself early gives you little information for the late game.
As a Resistance member acting as capatin, putting yourself on the team is far, far, far safer above choosing anyone else, because not only does a positive mission endear you to the other members of the team you're trying to find, it's also just statistically a much better chance that you'd successfully pass a mission- the early missions are the Resistance's to lose, which makes it vital that a Resistance captain include themselves. Keeping track of players' voting patterns for choosing the team and following the chain of logic and social cues is more important in the long run, rather than putting someone on the team who you don't have perfect knowledge about and seeing what happens.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

rydiafan posted:

Literally never have, and the Resistance has a winning record.

We played Avalon for a couple years here at work - 100s of games. We had one guy who liked proposing teams that didn't include himself - so much so that we called these "John teams". I don't think they're crazy or something, but they didn't catch on. I think they're definitely leaning into "gimmick play" territory.

I'm curious what your player count/role setup is.

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

It clearly gives you more information to be on the team, especially on a smaller team. I mean, if you go on a two man team and it fails, then congrats, you know a spy. Extending from that, not including yourself gives you a lower expected "total information held by blue people after this mission", because you're giving that "I was on the team" information to randoms instead of yourself.

I think this makes more sense when you're trying to use your picks to distribute knowledge (eg. in the clearest case, you are Merlin and you pick a clean team). So maybe this works as a multi-game meta ploy? Like, if you establish you're willing to leave yourself off, it gives you a strong "I got lucky and picked all blue" play when you're Merlin (or another role with information)? Even if you're just fishing for vote information, that information is much more powerful if the team vote is on the edge of passing (people vote more "honestly" when a vote is expected to be close). Feels very gimmick.

Some Numbers posted:

A spy is 100% going to exclude other spies.....

OK this is weird too though. Spies should be proposing other spies for a mission as often as they'd propose anyone else - otherwise they're leaking a ton of information. If spies are never proposing (or upvoting) teams with two spies, that's super transparent. If it's just concern about double fails, then your spies need to get better at communicating (or, if nothing else, follow a simple convention like "don't throw a fail if you're not the first spy clock-wise from the leader").

jmzero fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Feb 7, 2018

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Chill la Chill posted:

Cthulhu Wars as well.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

jmzero posted:

OK this is weird too though. Spies should be proposing other spies for a mission as often as they'd propose anyone else - otherwise they're leaking a ton of information. If spies are never proposing (or upvoting) teams with two spies, that's super transparent. If it's just concern about double fails, then your spies need to get better at communicating (or, if nothing else, follow a simple convention like "don't throw a fail if you're not the first spy clock-wise from the leader").

I agree and I don't. You can definitely pick another spy and not fail it yourself, but then you're counting on them failing it. I'd rather pick a bunch of Resistance members and then fail it myself.

Also, if two spies are on a mission and both play passes that could end up screwing them even worse.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Some Numbers posted:

Also, if two spies are on a mission and both play passes that could end up screwing them even worse.
Then it becomes the long con.

jmzero posted:

If it's just concern about double fails, then your spies need to get better at communicating (or, if nothing else, follow a simple convention like "don't throw a fail if you're not the first spy clock-wise from the leader").
That's some Hanabi-level cheating and I can't endorse it.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Can we discuss good options for all purpose storage/quick set up solutions? Inserts are fantastic, but they aren't available for every game, and I have a few games that I would like quick set up solutions for that don't have any specific recommendations on their BGG forums.

Does anyone have a go to type of container/small storage device they use generically to good effect? I know certain planos are supposed to work well, but ideally I'd like to use a few smaller more modular units, so that each player's pieces can be stored separately, and then just placed in front of them for super quick set up.

I saw a picture of this awesome thing on BGG for Three Kingdoms Redux. It seems perfect for many games that have multiple differently shaped player pieces + a hand of cards. It was allegeldy sold at the website Daiso, but no longer exists in their inventory. Anyone know of something similar?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I've got a couple Daisos near me and they always have a ton of little segmented boxes, often with separate lids. Hitting up any arts+crafts store should get you a similar selection of them - alternatively you can hit up a local fishing supplier and get some tackle boxes. My copy of Gloomhaven sits in a tackle bag at the moment, since it's got 4 tray inserts with about 18 segments each.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Bobby The Rookie posted:

That's some Hanabi-level cheating and I can't endorse it.

You need to police your own Hanabi conventions pretty hard because there's nobody else to do it.

In Avalon, the other team is there to keep you honest. The only rule we had was "no secret teams". You can't have some secret hand signal that you use to communicate with Bob, and that you only use when you and Bob are both spies. If you think of some convention that requires some co-ordination, you have to discuss it with the group, not just with one other person.

Avalon is funner when there's a vibrant meta-game of shifting patterns and counter play for those patterns. At very least, players need to have enough communication ability for problems like "we need a fail, who's going to throw it" to be an addressable problem (not 100% solvable, but not we'll-just-randomly-guess either), or else the game is going to be random and stale. I mean, I guess some people play with such a blue-favored role set that you can just play it as a dreary, silent deduction game, but that has to be super boring.

The convention I listed for double spies - that should be iteration 0. By game 3, that's the kind of crap Merlin should be teasing spies with, when he puts them both on mission 4 and gives someone else the sword.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Brought up The Tokyo Series Kickstarter over in the KS Thread; but apparently at least Jutaku existed before it became part of the Series. Any goonpinions on these? Anyone tried the p&p? I tossed in a dollar to get pledge manager access, and I'm heavily leaning to getting all 3.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

jmzero posted:

You need to police your own Hanabi conventions pretty hard because there's nobody else to do it.

In Avalon, the other team is there to keep you honest. The only rule we had was "no secret teams". You can't have some secret hand signal that you use to communicate with Bob, and that you only use when you and Bob are both spies. If you think of some convention that requires some co-ordination, you have to discuss it with the group, not just with one other person.

Avalon is funner when there's a vibrant meta-game of shifting patterns and counter play for those patterns. At very least, players need to have enough communication ability for problems like "we need a fail, who's going to throw it" to be an addressable problem (not 100% solvable, but not we'll-just-randomly-guess either), or else the game is going to be random and stale. I mean, I guess some people play with such a blue-favored role set that you can just play it as a dreary, silent deduction game, but that has to be super boring.

The convention I listed for double spies - that should be iteration 0. By game 3, that's the kind of crap Merlin should be teasing spies with, when he puts them both on mission 4 and gives someone else the sword.
lol, I completely forgot about the sword, I think we stopped playing with it because it was giving people heart palpitations.

Meta-game conventions are what make Avalon special, but I think they should be created in the moment and not be premeditated. Two spies going on the team and not wanting to double-fail should be resolved socially, within the parameters of the game- how they manage to signal that and not garner suspicion is the hilarious bit.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

Chill la Chill posted:

I payed roughly $160 for roads and boats + expansion earlier this year. My most expensive game other than my crokinole board. I'd probably buy NT too but I have 2 friends with copies.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

jivjov posted:

Brought up The Tokyo Series Kickstarter over in the KS Thread; but apparently at least Jutaku existed before it became part of the Series. Any goonpinions on these? Anyone tried the p&p? I tossed in a dollar to get pledge manager access, and I'm heavily leaning to getting all 3.

I got all three because what I actually love the look of is Turin Market (the preorder deal for it is still up. Free worldwide shipping), and I’m happy to take a chance on some of Jordan Draper’s other games. These are niche enough that it’s likely Kickstarter or wait for another printing like with Spootter titles.

Was a bit disappointed that heavy cardboard wasn’t able to stream Tokyo metro though.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I have a weakness for Series of designer games. Stuff like GIPF and the Tokyo Series is what I live for.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I really need to get more of the GIPF games. I love DVONN.

e: I threw in for Gentes. At 85 CAD shipped it won’t be much cheaper at retail. That puts me up to 4 games I’m waiting for I think. This, Tokyo, Root, and Nemo’s War.

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Feb 8, 2018

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Are these Tiny Epic (whatever) games good and/or fun?

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Jordan7hm posted:

I really need to get more of the GIPF games. I love DVONN.

e: I threw in for Gentes. At 85 CAD shipped it won’t be much cheaper at retail. That puts me up to 4 games I’m waiting for I think. This, Tokyo, Root, and Nemo’s War.

Ha, swap the Tokyo series for Founders of Gloomhaven and we're the same.

After careful consideration/manual reading and reading people's thoughts in the thread, I cancelled my Rising Sun pre-order and used the refund to order the new edition of Antiquity. It's a big change, so I hope it pays off.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Doctor Zero posted:

Tiny Epic Galaxies is great. The rest are pretty eh.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Doctor Zero posted:

Galaxies is the most universally appealing. I've enjoyed Quest as well. Kingdoms seems like it might be good for some people, but I didn't enjoy it that much (area-control / Terra Mystica hybrid). Defenders seemed quite weak, not sure if its reprint/expansion improved the core gameplay any.

Old Dun Cow
Sep 5, 2006

Doctor Zero posted:

I can say that I played Tiny Epic Quest once and immediately traded it. The "quests" were all essentially the same dice chucking pip collection and despite ostensibly having a press your luck element, I don't think anyone failed to complete a quest. The rules were fiddly and set up was a chore.

It played a bit similar to Istanbul but not good and twice as long.

I guess what I'm saying is get Istanbul.

terebikun
May 27, 2016

Bottom Liner posted:

This is something we desperately need. A-Z list of games with player aids, teaching tips, and basic strategies/pitfalls to beware of. Someone :effort: it please.

In The Resistance I always tell new people that neither being a good guy and pretending to be a bad guy, or being a bad guy and outing yourself are viable strategies. Just had one too many games go down in flames because someone wants to be a maverick. Oh, and when teaching 7 Wonders I might throw in something like "maybe don't let one person get away with taking all the science cards".

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Sometimes you can get away with hoarding science cause nobody is playing close enough attention or you have leaders or that spy guild and it's glorious.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Doctor Zero posted:

They're enough fun at a low enough cost that I take a punt on them all. Gamelyn are also very reliable and make good quality components for the most part.

Kingdoms was the first, and as such is a dry run. It's flawed - the Tower is close to pointless, Magic is much stronger - but interesting. The expansion fixes all the problems and turns it into a full fat 60 minute game; however, doubling the size and the cost takes away the two main selling points of Tiny Epic, which are that games cost $20 and fit in your pocket.

Defenders is a full co-op tower defence game. It's also actively bad and pretty much impossible to win. There is an expansion, but I don't care if it fixes the problems.

Galaxies is the high point of the series so far. It reminds a lot of people of Roll for the Galaxy with an area control mechanic. It's also the only TEX that plays five from the base box (TEK: Heroes Call allows a fifth), but don't - adding a fifth player hugely increases the length of the game. There is again an expansion, which I own but haven't actually played yet.

Western is Tiny Epic Marmite; you'll either like it or hate it. I like it. It's basically a mini-version of Carson City, except all the interaction is shootouts.

Quest is a bit of a confusing mess, with a terrible rulebook. I forgive it mostly because like TEK before it it's the dry run for an idea, in this case the Itemeeples: workers that can pass items between them to improve their abilities. In fact it would be accurate to say that I like all the parts of TEQ - the movement system is good, it re-uses the "ability or control" worker mechanic from TEG, and the push your luck part is strong. They just don't quite mesh into a satisfying game.

Zombies, which is in the last hours on Kickstarter, looks to be an attempt to do Dead of Winter. Players are trying to survive in the zombie-infested mall until they can complete their objectives. It's the third run for the Itemeeples (after TEQ and TED: Dark War), so hopefully it's the Galaxies of the mechanic.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Is Endeavor all it was cracked up to be? I know people who said it was a grail game for a while and I feel like half the time it’s purely due to scarcity.

I should probably add that I’m wondering if it still holds up wrt other games having been released since then. I have COIN games which seems to have everything but engine building.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Feb 8, 2018

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

FYI, for antiquity-havers: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1936263/quick-spoiler-neat-antiquity-thing-coming-geek-sto

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Yes, this is what I want.

VVVV As far as I can tell it's less expensive/annoying than sourcing the discs/stickers but you aren't wrong, the colours are fairly garish.

FulsomFrank fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Feb 8, 2018

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I actually think they look pretty ugly, but eye of the beholder, etc.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Chill la Chill posted:

Is Endeavor all it was cracked up to be? I know people who said it was a grail game for a while and I feel like half the time it’s purely due to scarcity.

I should probably add that I’m wondering if it still holds up wrt other games having been released since then. I have COIN games which seems to have everything but engine building.

It's still a solid Euro that no other game has tried surmounting. At its core it's an inversion of the tableau builder except everyone gets an equal number of builds. Your buildings are your actions but your limitations are based on your resources which are acquired through the board which functions as an aggressive area control game.

The result is a highly interactive, elegant, and fast playing mid weight Euro with zero random elements except starting distribution.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Endeavour also plays very differently but well at different player counts, which is always nice.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Reading this SUSD review of the co-op legacy pirate game (which looks like a lot of fun):

https://www.shutupandsitdown.com/review-a-tale-of-pirates/

Made me want to ask: How is Space Alert with 2?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Gloomhaven is back in stock at CSI

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/233739

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Just look at those SAVINGS!

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Carteret posted:

Just look at those SAVINGS!

If you've bought from CSI enough you're still getting the % off.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
So Gloomhaven is not a game I want to trust to the 2nd hand market, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Drunk Tomato posted:

So Gloomhaven is not a game I want to trust to the 2nd hand market, right?

Probably not due to the legacy aspect. It would be unfortunate to get a secondhand copy only to find the map and ability cards covered in stickers, or worse, that any event/goal cards have been ripped up. Caveat emptor and all that.