Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

beyond earth was ok i guess, felt really sterile compared to smac

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

hobbesmaster posted:

well your other options are beyond earth, starships or beyond the sword so

All SMBE had to do to be so, so good was to rebuild SMAC on a modern framework. And we got... SMBE instead.

:(

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Schadenboner posted:

All SMBE had to do to be so, so good was to rebuild SMAC on a modern framework. And we got... SMBE instead.

:(
lol if you thought beyond earth was going to be like smac

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
they were saying they didn't want to do a smac remake and told people as much, which, fair enough. but it still came really short of what most people expected, even without the inevitable comparisons to smac

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

they were saying they didn't want to do a smac remake and told people as much, which, fair enough. but it still came really short of what most people expected, even without the inevitable comparisons to smac
i never played it but if you looked at civ 3 and thought their not-smac space game was going to be good, well,

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

anthonypants posted:

lol if you thought beyond earth was going to be like smac

No, it's just what they should have done.

:sigh:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Schadenboner posted:

No, it's just what they should have done.

:sigh:
yeah and when beyond earth was announced everyone thought that's what it would be, because that's what makes loving sense

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

well yes but it could have some sort of story at the very least

it'd be reasonable to expect them to say "we're not making a smac remake" and to interpret that as "we're not using the same plot as smac" not "we're making civ with a palette swap, none of the interesting features from expansions and a weird tech grid"

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

hobbesmaster posted:

beyond earth was ok i guess, felt really sterile compared to smac

it didn't have the character of SMAC. It looks beyond compare but the feel of the world you land on feels like a game world more than an actual planet.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

anthonypants posted:

i never played it but if you looked at civ 3 and thought their not-smac space game was going to be good, well,

it's so very frustrating that civ exploded into three franchises: smac, civ 3, and civ:ctp

out of the three, the worst one survived. civ 3, 4, 5, and 6 have all been awful

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Glorgnole posted:

is the process of posting on a webforum so burdensome that we're left to talk to Cazlab exclusively via you, like some kind of occult internet medium?

i did tell cazlab to drop a post in the thread or something but i guess not lol

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it's so very frustrating that civ exploded into three franchises: smac, civ 3, and civ:ctp

out of the three, the worst one survived. civ 3, 4, 5, and 6 have all been awful

Civ 4 was really good though and still holds up today.

I do wish the features of Civ:CTP would come back in another series.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

civ 4 needs its expansions to be truly good. smac was fantastic out of the box and the expansion mainly filled in some gaps (more stuff for sea bases) and added a different play style (progenitors)

Cazlab
Oct 25, 2003

bwah!
i'm not dead. super sorry guys.
totally expecting to see a shaming av when i post this.
first was sick then just in a funk and not browsing the forums at all and generally avoiding sitting at computers.
i am back now, but if you've given my turns over to someone else that's cool too.
again, sorry.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

yeah ur fuckin dead as soon as i sober up

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
One turn, one kill

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Cazlab posted:

bwah!
first was sick then just in a funk and not browsing the forums at all and generally avoiding sitting at computers.
i am back now, but if you've given my turns over to someone else that's cool too.
again, sorry.

yer fookin ded m8, the planet buster is on its way

j/k it's still like turn 5

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Cazlab posted:

bwah!
again, sorry.

i did the Pirates' turn already and sent it on to sagebrush so make sure you're timely when it comes back around to you!

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Luigi Thirty posted:

yer fookin ded m8, the planet buster is on its way

j/k it's still like turn 5

aren't you playing as the university? because then you should assume everyone else has all the techs you have. because they stole them from you. because this game's portrayal of security on academic network is probably one of the most realistic things in it

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

aren't you playing as the university? because then you should assume everyone else has all the techs you have. because they stole them from you. because this game's portrayal of security on academic network is probably one of the most realistic things in it

wisdom

Cazlab
Oct 25, 2003

got my eye on my gmails, sea mails be... dead males? meaning me?
sure whatever, anyway yeah back on this poo poo.

Cazlab fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Feb 6, 2018

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Post some screenshots or narratives about what you're doing I miss this game

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Pryor on Fire posted:

an animated gif of my gmail inbox not receiving the save file

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Pryor on Fire posted:

it's secret right now

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

anthonypants posted:

an animated gif of my gmail inbox not receiving the save file

me moving a unit but the unit doesn’t move because the tile takes more than one turn to enter

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Boiled Water posted:

me moving a unit but the unit doesn’t move because the tile takes more than one turn to enter
yeah this really bugs me but here's a grid with the terrain movement penalties http://alphacentauri2.info/wiki/Unit#Terrain_Impacts

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

about that: Has any civ game post SMAC had terrain elevation beyond "this is a hill, that's a mountain"?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Gotta have probe teams for that and well lets just say you guys are a bit behind the curve as it were.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Boiled Water posted:

about that: Has any civ game post SMAC had terrain elevation beyond "this is a hill, that's a mountain"?

Only as far as map generation goes, the geo-engineering hasn't been included in any engine since.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
not sure why, honestly. it's one of those things that literally everyone loved about smac. i guess it's the fact that it isn't included by default in any engine, as you said. kinda have to custom build the thing. i can't imagine it's that hard, though

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Only as far as map generation goes, the geo-engineering hasn't been included in any engine since.

same with the workshop and social engineering stuff, afaik. lotta cool features got introduced in SMAC and never appeared again

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

who's got the turn now?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
not me

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

me, i'll do it tonight when i get home from work. would have done it sooner but been having kind of a poo poo week

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

when dnd tried this quite a while ago they did the first 50 turns in a marathon with everyone online at once and in irc or something. those that couldn’t make it had someone else take their turns. seems like that might be a really good idea here?

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

when dnd tried this quite a while ago they did the first 50 turns in a marathon with everyone online at once and in irc or something. those that couldn’t make it had someone else take their turns. seems like that might be a really good idea here?

i feel like this is more interesting somehow, like performance art

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

hobbesmaster posted:

one guy stopped communicating entirely except via twitter dm to one person over the course of a couple weeks but you're saying if everyone had access to an irc chatroom things would go smoother?

besides that there's a lot of people in the group who live in different countries, so it's not really possible for everyone to be online at the same time and bust out a bunch of turns

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Feb 8, 2018

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

ok done my turn and sent on to improbable lobster. also lmao at the file name: "FARRRRT Farrt farrt farrrrt farrrrrt frt frt.SAV" luigi30 insists they didn't name it that so kudos to whoever did

edit: oh if anyone cares i found a unity hydrology pod that uncovered a river (snore) and im in position to build a base right in the middle of sunny mesa aww yeah.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

cheese-cube posted:

ok done my turn and sent on to improbable lobster. also lmao at the file name: "FARRRRT Farrt farrt farrrrt farrrrrt frt frt.SAV" luigi30 insists they didn't name it that so kudos to whoever did

edit: oh if anyone cares i found a unity hydrology pod that uncovered a river (snore) and im in position to build a base right in the middle of sunny mesa aww yeah.

does SMAC accept loading filenames with spaces? If so kudos to whomever who made that happen at the inception of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

oh no that's just what it was called when i got it. seems to change each time around, not sure who's renaming it. also yeah works fine with spaces