Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

can someone reconstruct the final dialogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
The tiger and the wolf bringing Luffy food in the flashback is cute.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Lpzie posted:

can someone reconstruct the final dialogue.

on the last page? maybe they're seeing the future a little and already know what one another will do, so they don't complete their sentences?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Man, Katakuri shooting off his fist like some goddamn robot was some sick poo poo.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
I don't think the best way of building/resolving suspense is having Luffy being beaten up to hell for 20 chapters and then figuring out that one weird trick and turning it all around in one big punch

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
'Zoro Syndrome'

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Pureauthor posted:

'Zoro Syndrome'

tbf zoro fights usually last a fraction as long as this one. luffy's been taking a beating for a while now

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

At least it's fast about it. Any one of those pages could have been another chapter in itself. Hell I'll bet the anime makes them all their own episodes.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Snazzy Frocks posted:

I don't think the best way of building/resolving suspense is having Luffy being beaten up to hell for 20 chapters and then figuring out that one weird trick and turning it all around in one big punch

Yeah, that was horrible.

It's also a bit disappointing that Snack is still around, just demoted and inexplicably uninvolved before this. I was expected some twist, like him joining Urouge's crew after losing to him.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

SatansBestBuddy posted:

At least it's fast about it. Any one of those pages could have been another chapter in itself. Hell I'll bet the anime makes them all their own episodes.

I don't know if it's being "fast" when the only change is all the stories that have been incrementally moving for chapters are now just incrementally moving all at once

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

The more she starves the more Big Mom turns into a Junji Ito character

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Does Oda work closely with the anime team? I've seen almost identical flashback training scenes with Rayleigh in the show but this is the first time they've appeared in the manga.

Kinda disappointing chapter. Reminded me of Dressrosa where an entire chapter was the announcer recapping how Luffy's fighting to save the kingdom while haki needed to recharge. Dogtooth is a cool opponent but loving wrap it up already. Snake Man better be worth it. And maybe Sanji vs Snack will be a cool fight.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
We're entering our sixth month of Luffy vs Katakuri

The best example of how busted this fight's pacing is that Luffy is only now having flashbacks to training observation haki despite the fact that nothing in the fight has really changed in any way related to that. He already knew Katakuri's gimmick. He knew it before the fight ever started. The only reason it's happening in this chapter and not like five chapters ago is because we have to stretch this out interminably to end on 900.

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Feb 8, 2018

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
i wonder how many gear 4 forms we might get

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Fawf posted:

The more she starves the more Big Mom turns into a Junji Ito character

Shes getting hella oni looking
Just needs a pot belly

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
She already lost that

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Yeah I guess at this point we're going to have to accept filler every 2 years as we approach X00 chapters.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I like to imagine a disheveled editor begging Oda to stop designing more named characters and he's just like gently caress you here's 12 more Charlotte kids

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I hate multiples of 100.

However, I love One Piece.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Blockhouse posted:

The only reason it's happening in this chapter and not like five chapters ago is because we have to stretch this out interminably to end on 900.

The real hosed up thing is that if we're gonna make most every X00 chapter a big deal and major event then... Katakuri's defeat doesn't warrant it. It'd a relatively big deal, sure, but as the follow-up to the Straw Hat Armada it doesn't compare by any metric. I'm not saying I want that to be topped, because that'd be bloody difficult, but something that's at least important would be nice.

The only way it'd work is if Katakuri's defeat alone is enough to scare off the entire rest of Big Mom's family and commanders and.... aside from like Oven and the other folks around that one mirror, no one will know anywhere near quick enough so it wouldn't work. And even if they knew, it'd probably just inspire them to fight harder if anything else.

Big Mom's obviously gonna finally get her WEEEEEEEEEEDDING CAKE then too, which matters more but still isn't enough of a big deal even if it is the Best Cake She's Ever Eaten to warrant it. Neither one alone is a major climax to the arc, both are still not at all an arc-ending event, so unless WCI and Big Mom gets stretched out to chapter 1000 (God willing this won't happen), whatever comes next is gonna have hosed pacing too because it'll be too fast to compensate for this. Which is ridiculous to think about.

Chapter 1000 absolutely is gonna be something major and world changing and hyper-important on every level, and while Luffy beating a Yonko would be a big deal that shakes the world... something like Blackbeard crashing the Reverie is more significant and major. Might not be that, exactly, but we've had too much of a build up to this Reverie for it to happen off-screen, as a cover arc, or as minor side-stuff in between other things to not be important on some level. And since Luffy and co have no reason to even know its happening right now, never mind head there....

Anyway, I'm hoping for some kinda swerve and Big Mom actually goes on a hunger frenzy and eats everyone in chapter 900 so we lead into Big Mom's Inside Story.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
What a poo poo chapter

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Blockhouse posted:

We're entering our sixth month of Luffy vs Katakuri

The best example of how busted this fight's pacing is that Luffy is only now having flashbacks to training observation haki despite the fact that nothing in the fight has really changed in any way related to that. He already knew Katakuri's gimmick. He knew it before the fight ever started. The only reason it's happening in this chapter and not like five chapters ago is because we have to stretch this out interminably to end on 900.

I mean, the flashbacks came right before he temporarily focused up and started to consistently start dodging or armamenting the specific body parts he was getting hit with if he couldn’t dodge. So they had a point at least.

It’s just, you know, like actual progress after god knows how long instead of just a chapter to establish Katakuri can read all of Luffy’s attacks, one for the DOG LOVES DONUTS YEAH YEAH YEAH that established that you need to be focused to keep up Ultra Observation, and the bromance that nearly redeemed this bullshit.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

There were some really cool punches in this chapter but good god is it time for this to wrap, it's becoming an almost beat-for-beat recreation of Dressrosa's pace

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Cat Machine posted:

There were some really cool punches in this chapter but good god is it time for this to wrap, it's becoming an almost beat-for-beat recreation of Dressrosa's pace

You are still caught in "his pace"

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Feb 8, 2018

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It's still only looking to be 75 chapters if they escape at 900, as Zou took up 25 chapters, but it could have easily been 65 or so.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

So I'm guessing Snakeman is going to be an expansion on that one dodging octopus thing Luffy did against Eneru.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

so luffy intentionally took a beating to improve his haki before busting out a guaranteed win move or what

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I dunno what everyone's big problem with this chapter is.

We got a little Luffy training flashbback (lol at Rayleigh losing his dinner and I can't believe nobody in here even mentioned his funny reaction), Luffy and Katakuri are now matching each others' observation haki (notable if you carefully read their fight panels), everything is moving into place for the end of their fight and Big Mom finally getting some cake, and Luffy's about to use a new form.

That's a lot of good stuff and I'm super-hyped for next week. This padding is nothing compared to Birdcage.

Jose posted:

so luffy intentionally took a beating to improve his haki before busting out a guaranteed win move or what

It's not really an intentional beating (Katakuri is strong as heck and can predict the future, after all) but Luffy deliberately isn't running away because of that. There was a small flashback a handful of chapters ago where it was stated you can quickly improve your abilities by fighting strong opponents. Luffy would rather stay in there and level himself up so he can better protect his friends.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream
Man i'm shakin right now Luffys haki around his eyes - sharingan-esque How in the the world will sanji save luffy from choclate town, speedblitz again? Commander Snack, will he have a clash? Grilled mochi = red hawk Chopper hyped for inu/neko sulong form Can not wait for next week

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

DizzyBum posted:

We got a little Luffy training flashbback (lol at Rayleigh losing his dinner and I can't believe nobody in here even mentioned his funny reaction), Luffy and Katakuri are now matching each others' observation haki (notable if you carefully read their fight panels), everything is moving into place for the end of their fight and Big Mom finally getting some cake, and Luffy's about to use a new form.

The problem is that by pre-timeskip pacing we would have reached this part of the fight like two months ago

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I love how oda has slowly evolved how he represents haki. Before it was just 'thing but black', but now hes drawing them with harsh, hard straight lines. The inking changes when hes drawing haki.

Its nice

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

DizzyBum posted:

People are super bitchy because of all the off weeks around New Years so nothing short of the arc ending immediately is fast enough progression.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

its because this chapter and last weeks could have been done in like 5 pages together

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
i think this arc is tons better than dressrosa. im way more interested in this fight than i was against doflamingo, despite having exactly opposite expectations going in

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I think what's bumming me out is everything in the arc is pretty fun except for Luffy's fight which is just boring and way too stretched (:rimshot:).

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!

Radish posted:

I think what's bumming me out is everything in the arc is pretty fun except for Luffy's fight which is just boring and way too stretched (:rimshot:).

This

Everything about this arc is phenomenal except for Luffy's fight, and even that is only annoying because of the terrible pacing.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I like Rayleigh being shown just faffin' about with Luffy training, and his dinner getting ruined

Rest of the chapter was fairly middling though unfortunately

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Everything about this arc is awesome except for Luffy's current fight

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it had good moments but they're stretching it on way too long. it'd be really good if the pacing were better but what can you do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

「T A L L S M O O T H I E」