Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

That is the single best non-oem body kit I have ever seen. It looks completely factory on that bike.

At first look I would have guessed that was a late 90's to early 2000's bike, not something from 1988 :eek:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I'd say the same about a stock Hawk tbh, if it was that clean

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Funnily enough it's actually pretty easy to find bits for them, certainly easier than most grey imports (and didn't you used to have a 400?), because they were (and still are) popular with the Brazilian couriers in London, so there's still a pretty thriving scrap market.

I've never had a Bros 400 and I'm mystified where you could have gotten the idea. I did ask for opinions of the ZZR400 once, which is similar in the sense of being a smaller engine swapped into a frame made for a 600, but that was like two and a half years ago so :iiam:

Only bikes I've had so far have been a cbf125 and the current zzr600.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Renaissance Robot posted:

I'd say the same about a stock Hawk tbh, if it was that clean

I've never had a Bros 400 and I'm mystified where you could have gotten the idea. I did ask for opinions of the ZZR400 once, which is similar in the sense of being a smaller engine swapped into a frame made for a 600, but that was like two and a half years ago so :iiam:

Only bikes I've had so far have been a cbf125 and the current zzr600.

Yeah, I thought that you actually bought that 400 you were asking about and I told you definitely not to do because you can't get parts for it.

If people are going to actually start paying attention to what I say here I'm going to have to seriously reappraise my posting style.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

R-Type posted:

At first look I would have guessed that was a late 90's to early 2000's bike, not something from 1988 :eek:

That's what everyone thinks about the Hawk, which I think is why it doesn't get much attention from the average person or even the average motorcyclist.

It's a timeless design.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

I agree.

Nope, nope, and nope.

So, make a bike that people who normally buy Harleys won't buy, and also make a bike for people who normally DON'T buy Harleys won't buy. Seems to make good sense.

There are lots of people out there that aren't frothing brand loyalists. I think Harley could start making modern narrow angle twins bikes and probably do really well with them. The problem with Buell is they were just too loving weird / hideous / had poo poo motors (until the end). Harley would make an absolute killing on adventure bikes if they did it right.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Gorson posted:

One of mine turned the big three-oh this year.

This is fantastic.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Harley-Davidson is recalling more than 250,000 motorcycles because the brakes might fail.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/money/2018/02/07/harley-davidson-recalling-251-000-motorcycles-worldwide-because-brakes-could-fail/314581002/

Whoops

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Article posted:

The problem is linked to a module that's part of Harley's anti-lock brake system that can corrode and fail without warning. Usually, only the front or rear brakes won't work. But in one case, both systems gave out, resulting in a low-speed crash into a garage door.

:lol:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

They can probably just ignore the ones where the front brake fails. Fewer recalls that way.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Harley-Davidson Issues Front Brake Recall for Safety Reasons

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

"The trouble appears to lie with the brake fluid, which some owners apparently aren't changing as required every two years.

The old fluid can become contaminated by moisture and may be corroding the anti-lock brake system's actuator valves. If it does, the valves won't work."

I can definitely see that getting ignored on Harleys (or most bikes).

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That's what they get for using dot 5 the cunts.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

I guess this feature from the 1970's on is no longer considered as such

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
"Corrode and fail without warning" applies to every part of the bike

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
Wtf Kawasaki, red locktite on bar end bolts?

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

XYLOPAGUS posted:

Wtf Kawasaki, red locktite on bar end bolts?

Seems reasonable, honestly, with a proper drive. Hex head or a bigass cruciform drive?

Suzuki put red on the lock cylinder, with loving cheesy rear end security Torx bolts. Was nervewracking as hell

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Feb 9, 2018

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I had to drill through the bolts on my old Ninjer.

Or one of them? IDR. At least one of them.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

My red-loctited bar-end weights were a snap to undo. Just heat them up with a heat gun until they are hot to the touch. Then use a big phillips screwdriver bit meant for an impact driver, attached to a socket extension, attached to a breaker bar. Loosened really easily.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--

Beach Bum posted:

Seems reasonable, honestly, with a proper drive. Hex head or a bigass cruciform drive?

Suzuki put red on the lock cylinder, with loving cheesy as security Torx bolts. Was nervewracking as hell

Philips head.... Had to use a hand impact. Chewed the poo poo out of but actually got it out without drilling. Should have used heat, in retrospect.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Looks like LiFePO is now firmly ensconced on its throne as the best battery, eh slavvy? Antivravity had already addressed the “but you can discharge them to zero and they never work again” point and now they have a built in jump to protect you from your own stupidity.

https://youtu.be/pWvzLn-WkLk

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah, ok.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I'd throw my SHORAI at the dudebro in my local CycleGear if it weighed more than a styrofoam block. I should have never let him convince me to get it and stuck with a Yuasa AGM based unit instead.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

builds character posted:

Looks like LiFePO is now firmly ensconced on its throne as the best battery, eh slavvy? Antivravity had already addressed the “but you can discharge them to zero and they never work again” point and now they have a built in jump to protect you from your own stupidity.

https://youtu.be/pWvzLn-WkLk

I really trust the British text to speech narrator of this video.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lifepo is legit. They are much less likely to be damaged by undervolting.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

R-Type posted:

I'd throw my SHORAI at the dudebro in my local CycleGear if it weighed more than a styrofoam block. I should have never let him convince me to get it and stuck with a Yuasa AGM based unit instead.

Shoulda bought an earthx or, apparently, antigravity instead. LifePO is love, lifePO is life. LifePO is the future.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

"You haven't lived, until you've lived LifePO" ®

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Slavvy posted:

Yeah, ok.

This one’s for you. :allears:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Cut it open and see if they're bothering to balance the cells yet.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Slavvy posted:

Cut it open and see if they're bothering to balance the cells yet.

You're thinking of not-earthx LiFePO batteries. They come with a cell balancer and it also stops them from that other bane of LiFePo batteries, discharging to zero.

earthx posted:

Inside every one of the ETX series batteries is a microprocessor Battery Management System (BMS) that monitors the charge level of each cell and balances the charge when needed, protecting the cells from overcharge or over-discharge.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010
My efforts to sell my DRZ have netted me two contacts from people telling me they aren't ready to buy but they want much more information about the bike. Why ask questions if you aren't even a potential buyer? These virtual tire kickers can get bent.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
That's what you get for not clearly stating how fast it will go in your listing. It would also be wise to clarify how it stacks up to a ninja.

You brought this on yourself.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

Coydog posted:

That's what you get for not clearly stating how fast it will go in your listing. It would also be wise to clarify how it stacks up to a ninja.

You brought this on yourself.

I also didn't tell people how much I invested. My ad is missing many things apparently.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

“I KNOW WHAT I GOT”

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Need to sell by Monday

Motivated seller

*ad still up 3 weeks later*

Faster Blaster
Feb 6, 2010

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Need to sell by Monday

Motivated seller

*ad still up 3 weeks later*

It sold, and he forgot to delete it. :rant:

I'm a just a little angry because three sets of tires I have asked about had already been sold this week.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I had the opposite problem: had a tire up for 6 months on OfferUp, then while I'm gone for two weeks on a work trip, some dude needs it TONIGHT. Can't wait for my wife tomorrow, must've been a track day.

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

I typed random avatar and this happened.
I tried a friend's ABS Street 750 with a pipe (db killer'd) and some brake upgrades (steel lines, decent pads and fuilds) and it felt great. Other than somewhat clunky gear shifts, it seemed like a bike I'd be happy to own.

He also got rid of that crappy screen and the horrid rear end with a tail tidy and solo seat and it even looked decent

8/10 would ride.

I think they trademarked the "Harley Bronx" or something, so a new lighter, power powerful and still bad rear end entry level 883 seems just what they need to bring in the younger demo. Just make it under 7 grand with ABS.

mulligan fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Feb 26, 2018

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

I typed random avatar and this happened.
Also why Yamaha doesn't offer a ABS bolt is beyond reasoning.

Besides helmet laws, mandatory ABS should help with both the image and security profile of motorcycling in the US. I'm sure a bunch of my pampered sheltered millennials friends list "security" as the #1 concern as of why they would love to ride, but don't.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

mulligan posted:

Also why Yamaha doesn't offer a ABS bolt is beyond reasoning.

Besides helmet laws, mandatory ABS should help with both the image and security profile of motorcycling in the US. I'm sure a bunch of my pampered sheltered millennials friends list "security" as the #1 concern as of why they would love to ride, but don't.

According to a post I read on AdvRider, the abs tone ring adds unsprung weight to a wheel which makes it take longer to stop which means ABS actually makes your bike a deadly death trap that will definitely kill you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Makes sense, that's why I only ride bikes with single pot calipers