Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Pawn 17 posted:

I was just reading about sia and it's some decentralized storage platform that uses crowd-sourced hardware. So you are basically letting unused parts of your drives (and bandwidth) be used by others for storage. And the platform only accepts siacoin as payment.

Is it REALLY a good idea to let some shady coiners store poo poo on your drive?

burstcoin fills your disk with nonces, siacoin lets nonces fill your disk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Solar Tornado posted:

When will Tethercoin be a thing and crypto will start being propped up by itself?
This already happened lol

I'm sure Tether already let it slip at some point that they are backed by "assets including cryptocurrencies"

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

tankadillo posted:

I’m just curious: assuming that all of the world’s wealth was transferred into bitcoin like true believers say it will, has anyone done the math to estimate how much a bitcoin would be worth?
There's a maximum of 21 million coins so if you take the world's wealth to be 120 trillion it would be about 6 million per butt.

e: Also this value would constantly increase since no more currency can be created.

Spatial fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Feb 8, 2018

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Even if blockchain tech does have a legitimate use case it will be in fairly niche applications not at all worth this level of interest and investment. There is no way that most people justifying there enthusiasm with reference to filing systems are genuine, rather than trying to hide the fact that they are consumed with greed.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Moon Atari posted:

Even if blockchain tech does have a legitimate use case it will be in fairly niche applications not at all worth this level of interest and investment. There is no way that most people justifying there enthusiasm with reference to filing systems are genuine, rather than trying to hide the fact that they are consumed with greed.

nah, ignore the hypothetical, no need to posit the philosophical possibility of non-useless blockchains

here is the end of my summary of yesterday's Kodak report:

quote:

If I have one qualm, it’s the statement at the start:

> Blockchain and cryptocurrencies are exciting technologies with the potential to disrupt many industries; their use in media rights licensing by KODAKOne will not be one of them.

You’ll see reports like this say that “blockchain” is clearly bogus in their industry, but must have unspecified applications in some other industry.

I’d like to see more bravery on this point — you can say that “blockchain” is useless in a field and leave the false balance behind.

Or just summarise all the evidence to date — Blockchains are a terrible solution to a problem nobody turns out to have. That works. Feel free to steal.

blockchains turn out to be useless BS

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Alpha Mayo posted:

Banks HATE him!
This one crazy trick turned $115 into a Lamborghini
> > > CLICK HERE < < <

Banks HATE him!

This one crazy trick turned a house into a Lamborghini into $115!

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
ECB raises its head. Bullish!!

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~

Moon Atari posted:

Blockchains really don't do anything that can't be better done with another database solution. It's not even the 'innovative' aspect of Bitcoin (tying rewards with PoW in an attempt to solve double-spend problem was innovative for its time), I don't know where the blockchain hype came from. If was something revolutionary you would have heard about it in 2009.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

It's been like nine years since blockchains were invented and still their main and pretty much only use is a distributed computing project that uses the power of an entire country to handle transactions that could be processed by one cheap server.

If it wasn't crap someone would be doing something useful with it by now; they aren't.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~

MAKE OR BREAK COMING UP

WILL IT BREAK THE GOLDEN LINE AND BITCOIN TO THE MOON?
OR SHALL IT BREAK THE GREEN AND PLUMMET TO ITS DOOM?

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Not enough triangle analysis.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~

REST IN PEACE BITCOIN :smug: :smug: :smug: :smug:

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Alpha Mayo posted:

I don't know where the blockchain hype came from. If was something revolutionary you would have heard about it in 2009.
Blockchain is a marketing term designed to cash in on the cryptocurrency craze without the risk of tainting your brand with the criminality and market failures endemic to shitcoins. It's a distillation of Bitcoin that turns it from brand poison into a fine wine for ignorant technology fetishists to sniff at, nothing more.

This serves two purposes that are mutually reinforcing: conning venture capitalists so people can live the startup dream by selling them nice fairytales about the future where they own everything, and pumping the price of cryptocurrencies to drive up their holdings and draw in more bag holders from the general public.

The technology is irrelevant. It doesn't matter how it works or whether it does at all. The message is this: the success of Bitcoin can be replicated and we're doing it; invest in us and you can be there from the beginning this time around.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
blockchain always makes me imagine human centipede for some reaosn

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Were goons wrong about crypto?

I hear butt coins making people rich

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Alpha Mayo posted:

blockchain always makes me imagine human centipede for some reaosn

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

Moola posted:

OH goons were deffo wrong and I've just invested half a million dollars into bitcoin by "buying the deep" as we investors say.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Moola posted:

Which goons?

They make people stupid or highlight their rear end in a top hat tendencies. Not sure about making anyone rich, though. I mean, I have a checkbook, I could write a check for a billion dollars. Doesn't mean I am really rich.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
There's a reason they are called "Bitcoin Millionaires" and not "Millionaires"

For the same reason I can be called a Monopoly Millionaire and not a Millionaire.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
how do i become Bitcoin Rich?

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
U r lucky.. This dip is like you've been given a time machine back a few months, to give you the chance to load up now and hodl

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Moola posted:

how do i become Bitcoin Rich?

Start by being actually rich.

But if you want to become crypto rich, that is a lot easier. Create a new cryptocurrency and give yourself ten billion of them. Have your friend buy one coin for a dollar. Boom, you are now a multibillionaire.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i bought the dip and all it gave me was mouth cancer

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Baronash posted:

Start by being actually rich.

But if you want to become crypto rich, that is a lot easier. Create a new cryptocurrency and give yourself ten billion of them. Have your friend buy one coin for a dollar. Boom, you are now a multibillionaire.

would you like to invest in Bonecoin?

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Moola posted:

how do i become Bit...ch?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
holy poo poo

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Gonna start a cryptocurrency called Clowncoin for fellow clowns. And because it's fit for clowns. To use at the circus.

Don't you want to invest in my coin?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIytjqMwhWk

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Feb 8, 2018

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
ICP ICO

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

:perfect:

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

quote:

bit...ch
:eyepop:

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
code:
---
RUN
ICO
---

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

What's the conversion rate on Milenkos to USD?

stab
Feb 12, 2003

Vargatron posted:

What's the conversion rate on Milenkos to USD?

3 magnets to one tether

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

stab posted:

3 magnets to one tether

Ah the common thread here is that nobody knows how either one of them works.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

lazorexplosion posted:

It's been like nine years since blockchains were invented and still their main and pretty much only use is a distributed computing project that uses the power of an entire country to handle transactions that could be processed by one cheap server.

If it wasn't crap someone would be doing something useful with it by now; they aren't.
is bitcoin the strongest counterexample to the idea of rational actors in a market of its size

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

It's incredibly rational, we're an impoverished nation drowning in personal debt and it's a get rich quick scheme

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!
Ethereum was supposed to be the coin that actually had real life uses with their smart contracts. The bitcoin killer!

And after 3 years there is still 0 real world use cases for it. It's only use and purpose right now is distributing other scamcoin ICOs - so it's all just internal poop shoveling economy. In crypto land, the most successful crypto scams are ones that make it easier to run other crypto scams.

Even drug dealers and criminals have all moved onto Monero from Bitcoin too. Bitcoin is currently only used to buy other scamcoins on exchanges, again no one uses it for any useful transactions in the real world.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Feb 8, 2018

stab
Feb 12, 2003

Vargatron posted:

Ah the common thread here is that nobody knows how either one of them works.

:vince:

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
https://twitter.com/binance_2017/status/961587311648501760

While checking to see if this hurt their standings as the top exchange I noticed that OKEx is apparently the #1 exchange now because they have apparently traded more than a billion dollars of Bitcoin Cash in the past 24 hours. It makes up most of their trade volume and is the exchange with the majority of bitcoin cash's entire trade volume.

That seems weird to me. It's also risen 30% in value in the past 8 hours.

VictorianQueerLit fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Feb 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Since I recently saw an email from my CIO talking about "exploring blockchain technology" I figured I'd better understand it a bit more, so I just spent far too long watching videos of smarmy nerds trying to espouse the virtues of the blockchain (they all seem to have the same talking points which is creepy and very suspect). Is there anyone in this thread that actually understands it beyond the powerpoint talking points?

My only real question is how the hell a blockchain is supposed to scale with any real world application that has large volumes? What happens when you have 100 million transactions a day? Doesn't the whole idea of a blockchain break down?