Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Wheany posted:

what if you put a treadmill on top of the plane, then put a rocket on top of that?

and then every time the propeller spins the entire bee movie plays, but whenever someone says bee...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

haveblue posted:

despite the dick waving in the aerospace industry and this thread, the sr-71 was consistently tracked and locked onto by radars and fighters operated by sweden of all places

there's an sr-71 (actually an a-12) at the intrepid, it's just as cool as you think up close

yeah the udvar-hazy center has one and it's the first thing you see when you walk in and it's badass

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Paul Allen is dumping money into a company that built a 6-engine plane from 747 parts to do launches from

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
https://twitter.com/Gizmodo/status/961385012833775616

Pullquote:

Kashmir Hill posted:

I soon discovered that the only thing worse than getting a bad night’s sleep is to subsequently get a report from my bed telling me I got a low score and “missed my sleep goal.”

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

hahaha

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Jabor posted:

zeppelin launch

you probably only need like two or three hindenburgs

that would be much more visually impressive at least

a while back my dad let me know the Pegasus (attached to the carrier plane obvs) was flying over tampa on its way to the cape before launch and linked me the flight track and i got all excited and told coworkers about the rocket plane flying over and then when it actually flew over it was still at like, 30,000 ft and was pretty much just a tiny dot :argh:

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

What's Afrikaans for backpfeifengesicht?

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I’m surprised they left out him living on Larry Pages couch because he plowed all of his millions into SpaceX and Tesla

he lived/lives in Larry Pages guest mansion when he leaves his Malibu estate to visit the Bay Area for business because he doesn’t own property here for whatever reason he has

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Schadenboner posted:

What's Afrikaans for backpfeifengesicht?

"Backpfeifengesicht-no-bliks"

:eng101:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

i'm the guy making $18/hr shoveling dirt in the 1980s

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Rex-Goliath posted:

i'm the guy making $18/hr shoveling dirt in the 1980s

That's like 35 or 36 bucks today.

Probably a union gig at that rate?

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
oh, had no idea the model 3 had shipped last year

waiiiiiit a second here

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Schadenboner posted:

That's like 35 or 36 bucks today.

Probably a union gig at that rate?

yup

just thought that was an interesting wrinkle to include in an infographic that's trying to establish a powerful individual mythos

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
always worth reposting:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

or maybe he was getting paid that much to shovel dirt because he was just that smart and good at it

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

silence_kit posted:

I’m unfamiliar with the history here, but I feel like Notorious b.s.d.’s point regarding there not being enough computing horsepower to solve Maxwell’s equations numerically back then is relevant. I suspect that to actually be able to do a careful design of an aircraft’s shape to reduce radar cross-section, numerical solution of Maxwell’s equations is required.

More or less, yeah. IIRC when the HAVE BLUE project started (in the mid-70s) they still didn't have anything capable of getting a full simulation of radar diffraction in three dimensions. The Russian paper proposed an approximate solution to the problem based on surface edges, and Lockheed engineers were able to expand that into a program that could calculate the RCS of a set of flat polygons. That's why the F-117 looks like it do.

Later developments let the technique be generalized to any shape, given enough computer power, which is why the B-2, F-22, and F-35 all have smooth rounded surfaces.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Rex-Goliath posted:

or maybe he was getting paid that much to shovel dirt because he was just that smart and good at it
behind every successful person who's beat the odds is also a parent who gave them startup capital, rely on it

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
remember that time he used his wife as a breeding sow and then divorced her for a younger woman?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Bhodi posted:

behind every successful person who's beat the odds is also a parent who gave them startup capital, rely on it

uh, it says pretty clearly up there that ol' musky's father took him to work AND made him do Real Work, eight quality hours indelibly marking his soul with empathy for the common man

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

JawnV6 posted:

uh, it says pretty clearly up there that ol' musky's father took him to work AND made him do Real Work, eight quality hours indelibly marking his soul with empathy for the common man
and also $28,000

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Wheany posted:

what if you put a treadmill on top of the plane, then put a rocket on top of that?

god dammit. what have you done?!

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

President Beep posted:

hopefully, inspired the rocket to be the best rocket it can be

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

i'm the PC operating system

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

cool startup feel posted:

remember that time he used his wife as a breeding sow and then divorced her for a younger woman?

quote:

As we danced at our wedding reception, Elon told me, "I am the alpha in this relationship." I shrugged it off, just as I would later shrug off signing the postnuptial agreement, but as time went on, I learned that he was serious. He had grown up in the male-dominated culture of South Africa, and the will to compete and dominate that made him so successful in business did not magically shut off when he came home. This, and the vast economic imbalance between us, meant that in the months following our wedding, a certain dynamic began to take hold. Elon's judgment overruled mine, and he was constantly remarking on the ways he found me lacking. "I am your wife," I told him repeatedly, "not your employee."

"If you were my employee," he said just as often, "I would fire you."

I barely recognized myself. I had turned into a trophy wife — and I sucked at it. I wasn't detail-oriented enough to maintain a perfect house or be a perfect hostess. I could no longer hide my boredom when the men talked and the women smiled and listened. I wasn't interested in Botox or makeup or reducing the appearance of the scars from my C-sections. And no matter how many highlights I got, Elon pushed me to be blonder. "Go platinum," he kept saying, and I kept refusing.

Not long after the accident, I sat on our bed with my knees pulled up to my chest and tears in my eyes. I told Elon, in a soft voice that was nonetheless filled with conviction, that I needed our life to change. I didn't want to be a sideline player in the multimillion-dollar spectacle of my husband's life. I wanted equality. I wanted partnership. I wanted to love and be loved, the way we had before he made all his millions.

Elon agreed to enter counseling, but he was running two companies and carrying a planet of stress. One month and three sessions later, he gave me an ultimatum: Either we fix this marriage today or I will divorce you tomorrow, by which I understood he meant, Our status quo works for me, so it should work for you. He filed for divorce the next morning.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

cool startup feel posted:

it's in the timeline

President Beep posted:

this lets the rocket achieve a speed of (0.99999...)*c, which is the fastest speed possible since nothing can travel at 1*c

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

President Beep posted:

:jeb:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
ive got a crazy idea—and I’m just spitballing here—but what if we launched a rocket from another rocket?????

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

President Beep posted:

ive got a crazy idea—and I’m just spitballing here—but what if we launched a rocket from another rocket?????

:ck5:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i'm the tough childhood of having two loving parents, albeit divorced, who make good money and provide me with everything

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Im the apparent active participation of his parents in the apartheid system (as evidenced by the absence of even the most perfunctory mention of his parent's (even rhetorical) opposition to it).

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Schadenboner posted:

Im the apparent active participation of his parents in the apartheid system (as evidenced by the absence of even the most perfunctory mention of his parent's (even rhetorical) opposition to it).

a white businessman married to a white model in south africa in the 1970s and 80s, supporters of apartheid?? do you really think so?

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
just float a bunch of parts into space on helium balloons and assemble the satellite in situ

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Sagebrush posted:

a white businessman married to a white model in south africa in the 1970s and 80s, supporters of apartheid?? do you really think so?

It's common in such biographies (especially an :a2m: one like this) to include a mention, even if the sourcing is "This one time around the dinner table, dad expressed regret that the blik foreman at his factory had been mistaken for an ANC activist and beaten to death".

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
im the bragging that a ticket to mars will only cost a mere half million dollars before lone skum dies

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

it's in the timeline

this lets the rocket achieve a speed of (0.99999...)*c, which is the fastest speed possible since nothing can travel at 1*c

actually, those two numbers are equivalent. let me explain...

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

it's in the timeline

but 0.99999... = 1 :spergin:

fishmech posted:

im the bragging that a ticket to mars will only cost a mere half million dollars before lone skum dies

it's one ticket to mars fishmech, what could it cost, half a million dollars?

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Endless Mike posted:

i'm the tough childhood of having two loving parents, albeit divorced, who make good money and provide me with everything

uhh he was pushed down the stairs for being a nerd yet he still wants to save humanity. we don't deserve his benevolent genius

Sagebrush posted:

how dare you imply elon might have some latent racial issues just bc his wife's hair was never blonde enough to satisfy him

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

one day elon will finally invent his crowning achievement, a robotic wife that doesn't talk back at him when he needs her to show up and be a pretty object to validate his self image

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

say what you will about peter thiel, but it takes a true commitment to libertarian ideals to grind down your fangs and consensually purchase your blood meals from college boys on the open market

i can easily believe that thiel is precious about his daily transfusions and allows his misogyny to dictate that no femoidblood shall ever be used to sustain him