Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
belay that poo poo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Rather prescriptive, no enfilade fire support?

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Please submit your final plans and votes by 19:00 GMT+0, 09 FEB 2018

There's three proposed plans already, so unless there's some strong objections I think I can set that deadline and have a neat weekend. :3:

You can still submit plans, I'm just setting a deadline so things don't drag on for too long. :keke:

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Nothing going on in my quiet corner of the Pacific.

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.
Good bits - Tall Grass:
Enough firepower
Teams are mutually supporting the whole way through

Concerns - Tall Grass:
I'm a little worried about the lack of a contingency phase to check for a Gaskin around the south-west building complex. It should be reasonably easy to do mind, realign the MG and bound the teams down that drainage ditch.
Once we find the Gaskins there's no plan to deal with them. Are we going to attempt capture or just blow them up and go home?

Good bits - Holy Grail:
Spots the drainage ditch, which I hadn't up until now
Covers all of our bases through contingency plans

Concerns - Holy Grail:
Prescriptivist, which is fine, but prescribes that Team 1 be left with their arse hanging out at the easternmost corner of the ditch where they can be hit from the eastern building complex while the MG and Team 2 cannot support them.
Assumes that we will capture one of the Gaskins intact and then destroys it, which is a waste of perfectly good loot. An armoured vehicle, however marginally armoured, would be extremely helpful on both this mission and the last one.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Being a Catholic, Anderson has no choice but to vote for Holy Grail.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

FrangibleCover posted:

Good bits - Holy Grail:
Spots the drainage ditch, which I hadn't up until now
Covers all of our bases through contingency plans

Concerns - Holy Grail:
Prescriptivist, which is fine, but prescribes that Team 1 be left with their arse hanging out at the easternmost corner of the ditch where they can be hit from the eastern building complex while the MG and Team 2 cannot support them.
Assumes that we will capture one of the Gaskins intact and then destroys it, which is a waste of perfectly good loot. An armoured vehicle, however marginally armoured, would be extremely helpful on both this mission and the last one.

Ok, I'm going to stay something that will set the goonmind off: we don't want an SA-9.

If were had a chance to steal a proper BRDM-2, I might change my tune, but an SA-9 isn't a BRDM-2. There's no HMG, no turret, nada. Just a very lightly armored hull (only 10mm of frontal hull protection, yikes!) with some wheels.

Stealing it is going to be dangerous. Remember, we have to get out via the western road. That's the road they're expecting company from. It will be defended with things like: mines, RPGs, MGs, and guys with grenades. All of these can kill a BRDM dead.

And even if we do steal it, it won't be much help:
1. It's a deathtrap. Everything can kill it. Machine guns? 12.7mm AP will drill the front at 500mm. 7.62mm AP will drill the sides and windows at 300m. Grenade launchers? Meet ENERGA or 40mm HEDP. RPGs? An RPG-2 can kill this thing from any angle ffs. Land mines? Let's just say the Soviet afghansty rode on top of these things for a reason. Running over a mine is a death sentence. Mortars? Even shrapnel can penetrate parts of it.
2. It's toothless. This thing has no turret, no MG, no gunshield. The best we could to is prop a PKM in the open hatch and blaze away. We have no way to make an armored gunshield (and a mild steel gunshield is as good as useless - just ask the guys who made the first M113 ACAVs).
3. It's a bullet magnet. There's a reason infantry stay away from AFVs in a fight - they draw fire. And the BRDM-2 isn't a tank. The unshielded gunner will get killed. The wheels will get popped. And the hull will get penetrated. And you can kiss two guys goodbye.

We're a low-profile, "guile, not strength" kind of outfit. An armored car isn't really what we need right now. But if people are dead set on stealing it, then I'll see if I can work it in.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
I'll address Frangible's concern as soon as I get home, but I was under the impression that capturing the SA-9s wasn't for our benefit. The intent was to surrender them to the intel officers so they could examine them and determine who was funding this group, and the more intact the launch vehicles were, the more information we could get from them.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
We could resell the SA-9s?

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.

Phi230 posted:

We could resell the SA-9s?

I happen to know these guys over in Albania who are expecting to come under air attack soon...

They're not good APCs, sure, but they're better than no APCs in all sorts of situations. And as the others have said, they present all sorts of options. If the intel weenies can identify the vehicles themselves then we get a clue as to who we're fighting. If we can sell it on in exchange for more money to argue over the allocation of then that's great. If we end up converting it into an APC then we might be able to up-arm or up-armour it in future, maybe even with the skins of its brother Gaskins as the gun shield and applique. I'm not saying that all plans should be tailored to capture the vehicles, this is going to be marginal enough already, but if we end up capturing one then the only way we can lose out is a standing order to blow it up.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Too bad the SA-9's aren't modeled or we could have had a spin-off LP

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Voting for plan Holy Grail Atm. And if we can capture them, great. Even if we can't use them they can be sold, used for base security, or mobile support. And they'll probably provide useful intel or alternatively impress our superiors, which menas for next requisitions phase we can ask for things which aren't 1980's Soviet/NATO surplus. Capturing should be secondary priority mind.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
If you simply must have vehicles, at least get proper Toyotas.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

All this planning, you guys are the worst orkish raiding party ever.

PenguinSalsa
Nov 10, 2009
Holy Grail.

Unless LatwPIAT gives us bonus experience points or something for capturing the SA-9s there's no real point in doing so.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Holy grail.

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Tall Grass
Holy Grail

Is the purpose of these LPs not to have fun but to teach people about alternative voting methods?

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
We're not voting yet, and I need to add Phase 4 Cerulean to my plan to account for the possibility of units in the SW! Cool your jets, people!

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

LatwPIAT posted:

Please submit your final plans and votes by 19:00 GMT+0, 09 FEB 2018

There's three proposed plans already, so unless there's some strong objections I think I can set that deadline and have a neat weekend. :3:

You can still submit plans, I'm just setting a deadline so things don't drag on for too long. :keke:

We are indeed voting yet, and I am voting for Holy Grail because it is the plan that gives me the best body armour in the squad.

If you want my vote feel free to draw up a plan that has me hiding in a bush in the back wearing 2 helmets and 3 vests. I would definitely vote for that.

orcbuster
May 17, 2017

sebmojo posted:

Holy grail.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Hobgoblin leaves the equipment decisions up to the troops. I was letting other people who are better at human resources assign squad roles and load out.

Pea
Nov 25, 2005
Friendly neighbourhood vegetable
So much detail and effort in those plans. I was unaware that I had wandered into the grog wargames ghetto when I signed up for this broad strokes LP. :yikes:
Have a finely crafted MS-Paint plan of attack. :mil101:

Plan Flash! AAAAH!

1) We move along the western edge of the map through the forest. Along the way we set up 2 MG teams at the edge of the forest, creating a crossfire.
Perhaps leave 2 guards covering the rear of the pink MG. That single treeline to the village looks mighty suspicious.
2) The 4-6 remaining riflemen sweep through the farms in the SW.
3a) Yellow MG sets up in the 2 story building facing the group of buildings in the center where our satellites spotted 1 of the objectives.
3b) Pink MG repositions or shifts facing to cover the group of buildings in the middle.
4) Regroup at Pink MG's position
5) We blitz into town from the NW and clear the center
6) move Pink MG up to center so it can cover NE edge to E edge of map.
7) Expected remaining enemies between 2 roads on E edge of map. (red arrows signalling possible routes of retreating enemies)

Notes
- The plan assumes latwPIAT is okay with making judgement calls as if our team are competent soldiers.
- Loadouts at the discretion of individual people. But I would aim for 4-6 movement for the riflemen and 3-4 movement for MG teams heavy weapons.
- When in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout. :woop:

My Loadout
This is what I would take as a rifleman:
1x Fatigues/Molle 8,5lbs +
1x loaded FNC 9,4lbs +
2x magazines 2lbs +
2x frag grenades 2lbs(M26)/1,8lbs(M67) +
1x smoke grenade 1,5lbs +
1x PASGT helmet +
1x PASGT vest 9lbs +
1x MG reload 6,9lbs(Minimi)/6,7lbs(MAG) =
--------------------------------
Total: 42,9lbs or 42,5lbs if you take M67 grenades and MAG ammo.
This gives Hippoliet 4 speed.

On another note: 4 regular bullets, 1 tracer pattern in our magazines.
Dusk doesn't seem to be very dark since it's only a +2 to stealth? My gut feeling tells me a dark moonless night/total darkness is +8 or +16 to stealth.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Voting for Operation Tall Grass

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

If it's not already clear. Vote Operation Hobgoblin

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

I was asked about the difference between Disabling, Destroying, and Capturing the Strela-1s (Gaskins):

A Destroyed vehicle is gone. It can't be repaired. If you've eliminated all enemies from the map, you can maybe gather intelligence from it?
A Disabled vehicle cannot perform its role. It can eventually be repaired. If you've eliminated all enemies from the map, you gain control of it. This allows you to gather intelligence from it and if you can repair it, maybe drive around in it???
A Captured vehicle is under your control. It must be evacuated to complete the mission.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

FrangibleCover posted:

Good bits - Tall Grass:
Enough firepower
Teams are mutually supporting the whole way through

Concerns - Tall Grass:
I'm a little worried about the lack of a contingency phase to check for a Gaskin around the south-west building complex. It should be reasonably easy to do mind, realign the MG and bound the teams down that drainage ditch.
Once we find the Gaskins there's no plan to deal with them. Are we going to attempt capture or just blow them up and go home?

Phase 4 Cerulean now covers the possibility of the SA-9s being SW. Additionally, the capture/disable/destroy priority table is established--the short form is while they're stationary, attempt capture. If they are seen moving, switch to disable. If they are about to leave the map, switch to destroy.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I'd say the armored cars are an icing on the cake if we manage to capture them and uparmor their asses with bits of the ones that didn't make it.

Then we put an HMG, preferably Soviet on it, put armor on dudes inside it since they're not walking anywhere and use it as faster, but maybe not as a maneuverable MG team.

I wonder if we could put a recoiless rifle on it!

I wonder if we could drive PIAT insane with vehicle rules

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

JcDent posted:

I'd say the armored cars are an icing on the cake if we manage to capture them and uparmor their asses with bits of the ones that didn't make it.

Then we put an HMG, preferably Soviet on it, put armor on dudes inside it since they're not walking anywhere and use it as faster, but maybe not as a maneuverable MG team.

I wonder if we could put a recoiless rifle on it!

I wonder if we could drive PIAT insane with vehicle rules

If you want to upgrade the thing then they could probably undergo this package http://www.delta.gov.ge/en/product/modernization-of-brdm-2/

I'm not sure if we want to keep them and probably won't be until we see them in action a bit and get a quick precis of how vehicles and infantry interact in PCCS. No reason not to try and nick them if it's practical though.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

i dont think the point is to keep the Gaskins after we finish.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Maybe one of the Gaskins can wear the useless Ranger plates.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Oh, I should vote officially. Let's see.

Operation Tall Grass first, for obvious reasons.
And I do like the relative simplicity of Plan Flash! AAAAH!, so that's second.

I can't really vote for Hobgoblin because I disagree with separating the squad so far, and Holy Grail is too drilled down for my tastes.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I vote for Pokémon, but only if I get to be a :wooper:

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Plan Flash!

Those Gaskins won't know what* hit them.

*probably a 7.62mm round

Pea
Nov 25, 2005
Friendly neighbourhood vegetable
My votes

1) Flash! AAH!
2) Tall Grass

Bullets
Every 5th bullet is a tracer round

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
tall grass then hobgoblin

Every round should be a tracer for maximum psychological effect.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Our guns do 3rb right? First round is a tracer, then every third following? Walk those bursts toward your target, set everything on fire.

Burn the world down.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Glad to see a new one of these - if signups still open, please add Domai to the reserve lists.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Voting:

Tall Grass
Holy Grail

JcDent
May 13, 2013

goatface posted:

Our guns do 3rb right? First round is a tracer, then every third following? Walk those bursts toward your target, set everything on fire.

Burn the world down.

Get one of those Russian shoulder fired thermobarics!

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Holy Grail: 7
Tall Grass: 6.5
Flash! AAAAH!: 2.5
Hobgoblin: 1.5

FOR A FEW EUROS MORE: Mission 2: Headhunters

Team 1
Team Leader: Steamy Hams (FNC +3 Reloads, 1x M67, 1x M18; PASGT helmet + PASGT vest. Speed 5)
Rifleman: Victoria Frankenstein (FNC +3 Reloads, 1x M67, 1x M18; PASGT helmet + PASGT vest. Speed 5)
Rifleman: Jock "Strap: Jenkins" (FNC +3 Reloads, 1x M67, 1x M18; PASGT helmet + PASGT vest. Speed 5)
Automatic Rifleman: Commissar Mega (Minimi + 2 Reloads; PASGT helmet + PASGT vest. Speed 3)
Team 2
Squad Leader: Hippoliet de Smedt (FNC +3 Reloads, 1x M67, 1x M18; PASGT helmet + PASGT vest. Speed 5)
Rifleman: Mael Radec (FNC +3 Reloads, 1x M67, 1x M18; PASGT helmet + PASGT vest. Speed 5)
Rifleman-Grenadier: Alexander Anderson (FNC +2 Reloads, HK69A1 + 10 reloads; PASGT helmet + PASGT vest. Speed 5)
Automatic Rifleman: Reginald (Minimi + 2 Reloads; PASGT helmet + Ranger Body Armor. Speed 5)
Team 3 - Fire Support
Team Leader/Assistant Machinegunner: Kongelf Fyksen (FNC +1 Reload, HK69A1 + 10 reloads, 1x MAG Reloads; PASGT helmet + PASGT vest. Speed 3 - He's not going to get any faster by dropping the armour, so he might as well keep it.)
Machinegunner: Carwash (MAG + 2 Reloads, 1x M-18 Speed 4. Speed 4)

Weather:
Time: Dusk
Skies: Overcast
Wind: 4 m/s SE

T+0:00

Night is about to fall, and the First Allied Commando is on the prowl...

T+0:00 to T+0:08

The squad steps off the road and begins to crawl along the grass towards the first line of useful bushes. Being slow and methodical, they easily spot the enemy lookouts:

Two soldiers are sitting on the roofs, peering out over the landscape. Silhouetted against the sky, they're easy to spot. Hams also spots a soldier in a second-storey window of the large, two-storey stone building. The lookouts seem relaxed, their weapons held at a leisurely low ready. It would be easy to pick them both off with some well-aimed shots.

T+0:08 to T+0:16

Hams and Frankenstein begin to spread out in echelon formation.

T+0:16 to T+0:24

The infiltration continues.

T+0:24 to T+0:32

And continues...

T+0:32 to T+0:40

The approach continues. Suddenly, there's loud voices coming from direction of known Tangos. The lookout on the third-storey building turns around to look at where the closest lookout is pointing - right at Team 2. More voices. Rifles are shouldered. Then silence...

LatwPIAT fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Feb 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

What, if anything, can we do to improve our pre-mission recon ability? I feel like we have only the most vague notion of the terrain (witness at least one of the planners not noticing the ditches). Surely we could at least get access to like topo maps to see potential approaches, etc?

• Locked thread