Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004
To be fair, this would be far from the first time that an adult found out by means of parental default that their education was financed by student loans taken out in their name without their parents telling them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Usually there’s also a car or vacation or two in there too.

I could see parents telling their daughter not to worry her pretty little head about it when she asked for access to the loan accounts. He did say they had enough money, it could be that the parents are the type that take pride in taking care of everything for their kid. Then their pride refuses to let them tell the kid when they’ve screwed up.

Jake Mustache
Feb 7, 2017
At least they weren't paying the parents to pay (ignore) the loans for her.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Am I the only female that thinks Lularoe is overpriced frump trash? This garbage is starting to leak into my office! No...ladies. No. Donut printed leggings with a maternity shirt when you're clearly NOT pregnant is NOT office appropriate just because your paired it with heels...even if you spent 100$ on it.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Am I the only female that thinks Lularoe is overpriced frump trash? This garbage is starting to leak into my office! No...ladies. No. Donut printed leggings with a maternity shirt when you're clearly NOT pregnant is NOT office appropriate just because your paired it with heels...even if you spent 100$ on it.

Can you provide a working example? Cause wtf

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Sell the clothes off your back to buy into our scam!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
The funniest part is that used clothes are worth jack poo poo, barring a few exceptions(that aren't going to be most of the average person's wardrobe).

idk about the resale value of designer diaper bags(of course that's a thing :cripes:) and purses, but I'm guessing those aren't as impressive as most people would expect either.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

100 dollar diaper bag? Grab it off Facebook for 15. Or just use a backpack.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

Youth Decay posted:

If you have a Juicy Couture diaper bag in 2018, you'll never have $99 to your name.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Youth Decay posted:

Now wait a second when I suggested this as company policy I got fired.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

That's because you aren't a #BOSSBABE

I like them suggesting selling your drugs to get your first $99. Nothing like advocating felonies in order to join your MLM.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Suspicious Lump posted:

Can you provide a working example? Cause wtf

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Nice Homer Simpson pants.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Homer "J" Simpson actually wears blue pants

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
That's right, these pants are the ones he eats.

Devian666 fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Feb 9, 2018

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
You're only allowed to wear donut leggings ironically, to the gym.

oh holy poo poo, don't go looking for outfit examples for these, whatever you do:

The BWM in this image: somebody paid money for those blazers and for a gold-plated "fat" necklace with a shoelace chain. When the donut leggings aren't even in your top three bad daily clothing decisions...

moana fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Feb 9, 2018

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

moana posted:

You're only allowed to wear donut leggings ironically, to the gym.

oh holy poo poo, don't go looking for outfit examples for these, whatever you do:

The BWM in this image: somebody paid money for those blazers and for a gold-plated "fat" necklace with a shoelace chain. When the donut leggings aren't even in your top three bad daily clothing decisions...

Selling literal garbage to stupid people is way too easy, you just have to know your audience. Why do you think scam emails are always full of language errors and have the dumbest scenarios? They select for idiots who won't ask too many questions or complain. This "clothing" is just a 419 scam in apparel form.

Btw credit card scammers over the phone are the most racist dudes. I keep loving with them by speaking terrible Korean at them and they flip right over to "Ching chong ching chong" and call me a fucker. Rude.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

https://twitter.com/floozyesq/status/961299489209319427

https://twitter.com/floozyesq/status/961300538854866945

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Please can someone give me a Me Fund too?

#metoo

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I started a kickstarter to pay for my housing when I am too old to work but only I can make contributions to it. 4 For 0 old 1 one K Kickstarter.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

My wife would agree with you. She’s got a couple acquaintances tied up in that racket that keep harassing her.

Fortunately for me, she gets on Facebook about once a month and has no idea when these women are trying to get her attention.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Devian666 posted:

That's right, these pants are the ones he eats.

Don't you hate pants?!

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
This one isn't that bad, because no bank will allow him to actually get into the incredibly BWM situation he's seeking. But I just don't understand these posts where someone seems to think that buying real estate is just what happens when you decide you would like to buy real estate. As if the reason that other people don't buy $800k triplexes is just that they don't feel like buying $800k triplexes, or maybe they haven't thought of it because they aren't as smart as this guy.

$500 in bank, $0 debt, have income. Want to buy a triplex. Where do I start?

quote:

Hi everyone,

I'm 37, recently single, no kids, and I just paid off my student loans and 2 credit cards. No financial help from family. I officially have $0 debt but only $500 in savings as of this post. Keep reading. My credit rating is great and my 2 credit card limits combined are in the low 5 figures range. I didn't make the smartest decisions when I was younger but I finally don't owe anything to anyone. However, at 37 I feel like I'm arriving late to the party.

My salary is $76k(Gross) in Canadian dollars. My monthly expenses are $650 rent(all inclusive), $60 cell phone, $120 a month to bus to work, sold my car 5 months ago. Food is about $400 a month, and free gym at work.

I want to stop paying rent and start owning some real estate. A triplex would be an excellent investment however they run about $800,000(Canadian) in this area but the location is perfect. School, downtown, groceries .etc. Having tenants will help with the mortgage payments. A 20% downpayment would be $160,000... so now what?

The younger people at work who own nice homes and condos had help from their parents.

Where do I start? What do I look into? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Of course, my favorite examples of this genre are the college students with no job or savings who have decided it's a good idea to buy a house.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
I need $160,000 to buy a house, what do I do?!

I dunno, find a way to get $160,000?

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Relevant, from Clickhole: Heartwarming: When This Woman Lost All Her Life Savings At Herbalife, The Amway Community Welcomed Her With Open Arms

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

:perfect:

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Wow, Clickhole is doing a better satire job then The Onion.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

BigDave posted:

They're the same people, aren't they?

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

BigDave posted:

You, uh, know they're the same company.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

And Pepsi owns Cap'n Crunch, but Cap'n Crunch is still better than Pepsi. What's your point?

SweetSassyMolassy
Oct 31, 2010

Krispy Wafer posted:

Once you have 52 time shares you can sell your house and go on a never-ending vacation.

This sounds like they've somehow equated large numbers of time shares with the trappings of wealth. Like how some poor people think having 6 cars in varying states of disrepair means they've arrived.

Just for fun, I googled how much the average time share costs and apparently the number is $19,000 to buy in and $660 per year for maintenance. So in order to do this, you would have to pay out just shy of a million bucks for the timeshares, then have $34,000 a year to maintain them. How hard would it be to find fully furnished 1 bedroom apartments to rent for one month at a time and just go from city to city? Think you could spend less than $34k and still see some pretty good places?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

SweetSassyMolassy posted:

Just for fun, I googled how much the average time share costs and apparently the number is $19,000 to buy in and $660 per year for maintenance. So in order to do this, you would have to pay out just shy of a million bucks for the timeshares, then have $34,000 a year to maintain them. How hard would it be to find fully furnished 1 bedroom apartments to rent for one month at a time and just go from city to city? Think you could spend less than $34k and still see some pretty good places?

Just retire to a cruise ship, which some old people do. You rack up all kinds of frequent boater perks and just bounce from ship to ship. Housekeeping and food is taken care of and there's even rudimentary medical care. Prices vary based on peak seasons, but you might be able to survive off $5k a month, maybe? So $60k a year for a forever vacation. And when you die they just bury you at sea.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

SweetSassyMolassy posted:

They have these places called Hotels (or Motels). You can go to a place whenever you want, book a room that meets your needs for pretty much as long as you want, and often for not that much money. They're EVERYWHERE you want to go, whether it be San Diego or Armpit, Nebraska.

They also clean your room, and if you don't like the place for whatever reason...you can just, you know, go to another Hotel or Motel and not go back there again. No need to sell anything or foist it off on a relative! Some even let you build rewards points for free or discounted rooms!

At 34K a year for maintenance, you can probably save money by renting a room at the Fontainbleu or Ritz-Carlton for a week at a time.

I will never understand timeshares.

SweetSassyMolassy
Oct 31, 2010

Krispy Wafer posted:

Just retire to a cruise ship, which some old people do. You rack up all kinds of frequent boater perks and just bounce from ship to ship. Housekeeping and food is taken care of and there's even rudimentary medical care. Prices vary based on peak seasons, but you might be able to survive off $5k a month, maybe? So $60k a year for a forever vacation. And when you die they just bury you at sea.

Perfect! The only consideration is that once I get deathly ill is that I'll have to make sure I'm on a Viking cruise ship. Do you think if I've got enough boat points, the'll send me off on a flaming life raft?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

blackmet posted:

They have these places called Hotels (or Motels). You can go to a place whenever you want, book a room that meets your needs for pretty much as long as you want, and often for not that much money. They're EVERYWHERE you want to go, whether it be San Diego or Armpit, Nebraska.

They also clean your room, and if you don't like the place for whatever reason...you can just, you know, go to another Hotel or Motel and not go back there again. No need to sell anything or foist it off on a relative! Some even let you build rewards points for free or discounted rooms!

At 34K a year for maintenance, you can probably save money by renting a room at the Fontainbleu or Ritz-Carlton for a week at a time.

I will never understand timeshares.
They might have made more sense long long ago, when the average person had fewer choices for where to stay & it was more annoying to arrange accomidations. Then again they started being a thing in the 70s, so that reasoning went out the window really quick.

Even now, if you were a weirdo who only ever wanted to vacation in the same spot for the rest of your life, you'd still save money by getting a regular old hotel room unless you have very expensive tastes.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Cutting the cord: GWM.
Cutting the cord and using the cash you saved to buy into a pyramid scheme: BWM

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
http://www.tampabay.com/sold-everything-to-sail-the-world-boat-sank-next-day

Sell everything, buy a boat, sail the world! Insurance? Who needs that! What could go wrong...

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

And when you die they just bury you at sea.

Repatriation of corpses is a colossal pain in the rear end.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Elysium posted:

Sell everything, buy a boat, sail the world! Insurance? Who needs that! What could go wrong...

Or up to date charts or half decent navigation training.

Piloting by buoys, using a spotlight in fog. God drat. :eng99:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Elysium posted:

Someone in another thread highlighted that the dude sold timeshares.
Losing everything seems fair