Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Shaggar posted:

cant read that article but I read it somewhere else. clothing telemetry alone is pretty weird but idk why you'd tie it to a crypto currency

"blockchain" is the new "machine learning" in investor storytime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

lancemantis posted:

I’m surprised they left out him living on Larry Pages couch because he plowed all of his millions into SpaceX and Tesla

he lived/lives in Larry Pages guest mansion when he leaves his Malibu estate to visit the Bay Area for business because he doesn’t own property here for whatever reason he has

so after being homeless, he gave up his car for science. what a generous man :allears:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

there's a code on my icebreaker jacket that tells me what sheep ranch the wool comes from :scotland: [actually nz but there's no smiley for that]

oh hey twitter made a profit by cutting a bunch of expenses in R&D and marketing/outreach

this looks like a healthy business for sure

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if that's them getting rid of the insane overhead they had then it probably is good

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

good would be twitter ceasing to exist

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
twitter decides to become profitable by ending its salaried bourgeois jobs now that those good times are over

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
marketing: $100
R&D: $100
nazis: $5000
customer service: $100

please help, my company is dying

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

exploded mummy posted:

like vince doesn't not exactly like to make it public, but his dad (vince sr) divorced his mom right around the time he was born, and she got custody

vince spent his early life growing up as white trash in trailer parks in the south and getting beaten by his step fathers and being sexually molested by relatives

that's a hard life

emerald mines

loving really

I didn't know this story

quote:

PLAYBOY: You had a rough childhood in Havelock, North Carolina, where you grew up in a trailer.

MCMAHON: [Laughs] A New Moon trailer, eight feet wide. Trailer park isn't poverty. You don't have much privacy, but there are nice things about it. Everything is compact. And it beats some other places. Prior to that I lived in Manly, North Carolina, in a house with no indoor plumbing. That could get a little disconcerting in the wintertime.

PLAYBOY: So you're the manly man from Manly. Are those your first memories?

MCMAHON: Yeah, and the summertime wasn't much better, sitting on the privy with the heat and humidity and stench. Oh, man, the flies! So when we moved to the trailer park, it wasn't so bad.

PLAYBOY: You lived with an older brother, your mother and occasional others, right?

MCMAHON: My parents got divorced and I went with my mom, Vickie. She was in the church choir. A real performer, a female Elmer Gantry. Very striking, with an excellent voice. Lived with her and my real rear end in a top hat of a stepfather, a man who enjoyed kicking people around.

PLAYBOY: Your stepfather beat you?

MCMAHON: [Nodding] Leo Lupton. It's unfortunate that he died before I could kill him. I would have enjoyed that. Not that he didn't have some redeeming qualities. He was an athlete, great at any sport, which I admired, and I remember watching The Jackie Gleason Show with him. We used to laugh together at Jackie Gleason.

PLAYBOY: Lupton was an electrician. He hit you with his tools, didn't he? A pipe wrench?

MCMAHON: Sure.

PLAYBOY: He hit your brother, too?

MCMAHON: No. I was the only one of the kids who would speak up, and that's what provoked the attacks. You would think that after being on the receiving end of numerous attacks I would wise up, but I couldn't. I refused to. I felt I should say something, even though I knew what the result would be.

PLAYBOY: You fought him when he hit your mother.

MCMAHON: Absolutely. First time I remember, I was six years old. The slightest provocation would set him off. But I lived through it.

PLAYBOY: That's an awful way to learn how a man behaves.

MCMAHON: I learned how not to be. One thing I loathe is a man who will strike a woman. There's never an excuse for that.

PLAYBOY: Eventually, you escaped from your stepfather.

MCMAHON: By the time I was 14 I was on my own. I was pretty much a man then. Physically, at least. In other ways I'm still becoming a man.

goddamn

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

flakeloaf posted:

i'm wondering if someone tried to tell him the story of that rich guy who said he'd bury a bentley to protest organ donation and everyone now thinks he's a good person with good ideas, but ole musky just got bored and wasn't listening to the middle part

burying a car = famous for good
people like space
spacing a car = extra famous for good
think on what might have been

https://twitter.com/hypercubexl/status/961656712460607489

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

lancemantis posted:

you see, it will be such a valuable thing that people will gladly do whatever it takes for a ticket, much like old colonialism

there will probably even be financing offered, perhaps with some number of years of employment for the financier at the destination, a kind of indentureship

he's gonna change his name to cohaagen and rule mars under threat of cutting off the oxygen supply

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

god exists, and he's libertarian

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

lol vince mcmahon used to hunt marines for sport

quote:

PLAYBOY: Did you ever steal? 

MCMAHON: Automobiles. But I always brought them back. I just borrowed them, really. There were other thefts, too, and I ran a load of moonshine in Harlowe, North Carolina, in a 1952 Ford V8. That was a badass car at the time. 

PLAYBOY: What did you get paid for running hooch? 

MCMAHON: A fortune. I think it was 20 bucks. 

PLAYBOY: Finally, the police caught up with you. 

MCMAHON: They had a lot of circumstantial evidence. I was always in fights, too. They'd pull up and there we were, me and my group of guys, going at it with the Marines. 

PLAYBOY: You fought the Marines? 

MCMAHON: Havelock is right outside the Marine base at Cherry Point. There was a place called the Jet Drive-In. Real creative--the Jet, because of all the military jets at the base. On Friday and Saturday nights it was time to get it on with the Marines. It was a challenge. Most of them were in great condition, but they didn't know how to pick a fight. I'm not saying they were easy pickings. They got their testosterone going and they were all liquored up. Some of them were real tough. But me and my guys were street fighters. I mean, maybe you've been through basic training and you know how to operate a bayonet. That's different from sticking your finger in somebody's eye or hitting a guy in the throat, which comes naturally to a street fighter. And they can't believe you're not "fighting fair." Suddenly they can't breathe and/or see, and they realize: "Oh my God, am I in for an rear end-kicking." 

PLAYBOY: Ever come close to killing one of them? 

MCMAHON: I would like to think not very close. That's not what I wanted to do. You want to incapacitate the guy. Once you get someone down you don't want him getting back up. You don't want him moving, so you make sure he doesn't. It's not pretty, but it was challenging and fun. 

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

FCKGW posted:

I didn't know this story

goddamn

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

FCKGW posted:

I didn't know this story

goddamn

broke: "You would think that after being on the receiving end of numerous attacks I would wise up, but I couldn't. I refused to. I felt I should say something, even though I knew what the result would be. ... I learned how not to be. One thing I loathe is a man who will strike a woman. There's never an excuse for that."

woke: "If I'm not in love, if I'm not with a long-term companion, I cannot be happy. I will never be happy without having someone ... no one on the pillow next to you. F--. How do you make yourself happy in a situation like that?"

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

broke: "You would think that after being on the receiving end of numerous attacks I would wise up, but I couldn't. I refused to. I felt I should say something, even though I knew what the result would be. ... I learned how not to be. One thing I loathe is a man who will strike a woman. There's never an excuse for that."

woke: "If I'm not in love, if I'm not with a long-term companion, I cannot be happy. I will never be happy without having someone ... no one on the pillow next to you. F--. How do you make yourself happy in a situation like that?"

as always, the onion is on the loving case

https://www.theonion.com/elon-musk-offering-1-2-billion-in-grants-to-any-projec-1822808899

gently caress it, it's short enough to quote

the onion posted:

FREMONT, CA—Calling his profound feelings of emptiness “almost too painful to bear,” Elon Musk, founder of Tesla, SpaceX, Neuralink, the Boring Company, and a variety of other tech and infrastructure firms, reportedly offered $1.2 billion in grants Wednesday to any project that could make him feel complete. “Even after all I’ve accomplished in this world, there is still a gaping hole inside of me that no amount of innovation or entrepreneurship has been able to fill,” said Musk, who added that he would consider funding any initiative, in any industry, at any scale that might begin to close the ever-widening chasm at the core of his being. “If you can prove that your venture will give me any measure of wholeness—anything, anything at all—my money is yours. All I ask in return is to feel some sense of purpose in this bleak and pointless existence.” Musk went on to offer an additional $1.2 billion to anyone who could show him the meaning of what people often refer to as “love.”

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
tech startup dares the FDA to gently caress them all the way up.

"biohacking"

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Sagebrush posted:

no this is woken

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

infernal machines posted:

"biohacking"

quote:

a biotech outfit that aims to cure cancer, herpes, HIV, and aging, while simultaneously battling Big Pharma and regulatory agencies like the Food and Drug Administration.

ADULTS INVESTED IN THIS

why am i not in sv right now convincing rich morons to buy me a retirement plan for two farts and half a dream

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

"biohacking"

quote:

“Did you have an ethical commission?” someone in the crowd asked, wondering whether the experiment that was about to take place had undergone any sort of formal review.

“No,” Traywick answered.

He added: “We label everything ‘not for human consumption,’” shortly before baring his black boxer briefs and injecting his own leg.

ah, well all good then, nothing to see here

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

"biohacking"

hearing this in jk simmons' voice

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
when do we actually declare this current tech bubble popped? declared recession?

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

haveblue posted:

marketing: $100
R&D: $100
nazis: $5000
customer service: $100

please help, my company is dying

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

flakeloaf posted:

ADULTS INVESTED IN THIS

why am i not in sv right now convincing rich morons to buy me a retirement plan for two farts and half a dream

my deep learning ai neural network on the blockchain enables rapid prototyping of erectile dysfunction cures.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

ah, well all good then, nothing to see here

Ahh, labelling it as "not for human consumption", the old trick used by skeevy online sellers of fentanyl analogs cooked up by Thai labs. This one weird trick that makes regulators powerless. The FDA hates it!

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

mrmcd posted:

Ahh, labelling it as "not for human consumption", the old trick used by skeevy online sellers of fentanyl analogs cooked up by Thai labs. This one weird trick that makes regulators powerless. The FDA hates it!

I will never understand the popularity of the "magic words" idea in a shockingly large percentage of the population.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

my deep learning ai neural network on the blockchain enables rapid prototyping of erectile dysfunction cures.

with per-user gamification in social spaces for superiour aggregation and leveraging of usermetric data, maximizing ad exposure surface while minimizing the waste from promoting into non-realizable buyer spaces

we're gonna eavesdrop on everyone and sell their poo poo to the highest asian bidder

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Schadenboner posted:

I will never understand the popularity of the "magic words" idea in a shockingly large percentage of the population.

i understood it once but i had to erase it after 24 hours

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

one of my old college friends recently went to a "life extension" conference in vegas and I can assure you that whatever dumb idea about chemicals you can come up with you'll find people willing to inject it into themselves on the off-hand chance it works

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

flakeloaf posted:

with per-user gamification in social spaces for superiour aggregation and leveraging of usermetric data, maximizing ad exposure surface while minimizing the waste from promoting into non-realizable buyer spaces

we're gonna eavesdrop on everyone and sell their poo poo to the highest asian bidder

someone just backed a dumptruck full of cash onto my lawn.

help! i'm literally drowning in $100 bills

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

qirex posted:

one of my old college friends recently went to a "life extension" conference in vegas and I can assure you that whatever dumb idea about chemicals you can come up with you'll find people willing to inject it into themselves on the off-hand chance it works

i'm all for extracting money from anyone willing to give it to you, and i don't believe cancer is the sort of thing you can wish on anyone, but the people who try to turn a profit from the desperate and moribund really make me question those little life rules of mine

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Schadenboner posted:

fifteen percent of the american population is functionally illiterate -- reading at a third-grade* equivalent level or below. they cannot read basic written communications like a warning sign or the back of a cereal box.

the median reading level in the united states is around seventh to eighth grade. these people can read a simple passage, but may not be able to locate specific information in the text, make inferences that the text implies, or integrate pieces of information from different part of the document.

only fifteen percent of the population has what is considered to be complete adult literacy, functioning at the highest level on the tests used to make these measurements.

words very much are magic to a shockingly large percentage of the population.

*we don't use grade levels any more to describe literacy for what should be self-evident reasons but it's still a convenient shorthand

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the greatest nation on earth, folks

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

Schadenboner posted:

in the case of fentalogues, the burden of proof is on the government to prove that a given rc dealer intends their products to be consumed by humans. the best rc dealers, the ones who actually make other chemicals than drugs, put a lot of work into making sure that they can create a reasonable doubt in a jury when they're finally arrested. all the lovely rc dealers just copy it because they're idiots.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

exploded mummy posted:

no this is woken

no, that's broken. woken is the sad, by-committee, missing-the-point version of that

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

pop you poo poo bubble just do it motherfuck

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

only fifteen percent of the population has what is considered to be complete adult literacy, functioning at the highest level on the tests used to make these measurements.

this sounds like bullshit

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
bedtime is actually good and helped me normalize my sleep schedule a little bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

silicon valley innovation, or what is my mother no longer doing for me?