Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Cernunnos posted:

Holy loving poo poo. I thought you were exaggerating about the price because "MTGO BAD."

NOPE. It's really gonna be :10bux: for a phantom event.

The real value is in the love of the game!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
They can't afford to be just giving away phantom drafts.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

The Shortest Path posted:

Sorry I should have clarified that I was responding specifically to the $5k legacy power cards bit. My bad.

Yeah, those people suck and you should avoid interacting with them at all costs. Find a good cEDH playgroup or just do what most of the rest of us do and use discord+cockatrice.

What if my 5 color commander deck's lands include all 10 fetches and all 10 ABUR duals but the actual none mana related cards are hot garbage fire?

Thisuck fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Feb 8, 2018

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

AceClown posted:

No he's 100% right, it's terrible.

Lets take one of the most frustrating parts of MTG (not drawing the cards you need) add in politics and bizarre social rules and finally a dash of salt when you actually play a game to win and yeah, sounds like a bowl full of poo poo to me.

except getting the cards you need is WAY easier because you have access to the best tutors and card draw in the loving game if you build your deck right and frankly, if your deck revolves around needing a couple specific cards to win and that's your only win condition, it's a loving bad deck

and politics is one of the best parts of commander BECAUSE it's more social and adds a whole extra layer of complexity to the game. if you do it right and don't suck at it, it's very rewarding

AceClown posted:

And unless your playing with people who all drop 5k on a commander deck full of broken rear end legacy and power cards you'll find yourself asked not to play again because the dude with the janky Minotaur theme deck is going to cry about the imbalance.

your hyperbole is as bad as your opinions

you rarely see competitive EDH decks costing more than $1000 and if you do, it's probably because they have either foiled out the deck and/or have single cards that cost that have stupid high prices like Timetwister and Imperial Seal, which are just 2 cards that don't really change the deck that much. Especially Imperial Seal, which is just a worse Vampiric Tutor (but not bad to have because more tutors = good).

and that's a dumb argument anyway when it's not at all uncommon for competitive modern decks to break $1000. hell, for a while before Tarmogoyf's price crashed, Jund was almost $2000.

and yeah you do tend to have players who play janky poo poo but in most cases they KNOW it's janky poo poo and they're playing it because it sounded fun or wanted a challenge

just because some players are immature shitsacks doesn't make the format worth condemning because you get immature shitsacks in all formats

also since we're running with opinions, I played more Magic Arena and my overall opinion is "it's a prettier but more boring MTGO and the prettiness doesn't really even matter when loving Pokemon looks better"

granted, board states in Pokemon are far more simple than board states in Magic can be but come on Wizards, put some effort into it

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Archenteron posted:

Casual friends discord or is there a goon MTG one?

A cEDH discord specifically, its where most of the games are organized because the players are relatively spread out and it's hard/impossible to get a physical game together outside of the Seattle and LA areas. Most people play with cockatrice but some use top-down webcams if you prefer using physical cards.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Matsuri posted:

and politics is one of the best parts of commander BECAUSE it's more social and adds a whole extra layer of complexity to the game. if you do it right and don't suck at it, it's very rewarding

Sorry, if I want to get social to that level I'll play an RPG or a co-op board game, MTG is a competitive game and the only decisions I want to be making are "Will this action lead to me winning the game" not wondering if someone is going to get salty because I attacked them last turn and it's not fair because they brought table snacks or some bullshit.

Matsuri posted:

you rarely see competitive EDH decks costing more than $1000 and if you do, it's probably because they have either foiled out the deck and/or have single cards that cost that have stupid high prices like Timetwister and Imperial Seal, which are just 2 cards that don't really change the deck that much. Especially Imperial Seal, which is just a worse Vampiric Tutor (but not bad to have because more tutors = good).

and that's a dumb argument anyway when it's not at all uncommon for competitive modern decks to break $1000. hell, for a while before Tarmogoyf's price crashed, Jund was almost $2000.

and yeah you do tend to have players who play janky poo poo but in most cases they KNOW it's janky poo poo and they're playing it because it sounded fun or wanted a challenge

just because some players are immature shitsacks doesn't make the format worth condemning because you get immature shitsacks in all formats

I'm not complaining about the cost of MTG cards, I'm saying that there are lots and lots of cliquey EDH groups who have some unspoken agreement about the power level of decks and if you dare to rise above it you'll be ostracised.

Look, I get that many people enjoy MTG in tons of different formats, that's one of the beauties of this game, but EDH is not a competitive format and it's the equivalent of a bunch of friends playing poker for M&Ms.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Thisuck posted:

What if my 5 color commander deck's lands include all 10 fetches and all 10 ABUR duals but the actual none mana related cards are hot garbage fire?

Then you have extremely weird priorities for how you spend your MtG money but you do you I guess! :shrug:

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/mtg_lee/status/961692283656593408

No idea how you link tweets on here but this is lol.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

AceClown posted:

Thats kind of a major move LOL. MTGO is for loving rubes. They took the old drafts away and replaced it with phatoms for the same price. Get loving rekt.

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator

AceClown posted:

Sorry, if I want to get social to that level I'll play an RPG or a co-op board game, MTG is a competitive game and the only decisions I want to be making are "Will this action lead to me winning the game" not wondering if someone is going to get salty because I attacked them last turn and it's not fair because they brought table snacks or some bullshit.

I'm not complaining about the cost of MTG cards, I'm saying that there are lots and lots of cliquey EDH groups who have some unspoken agreement about the power level of decks and if you dare to rise above it you'll be ostracised.

Look, I get that many people enjoy MTG in tons of different formats, that's one of the beauties of this game, but EDH is not a competitive format and it's the equivalent of a bunch of friends playing poker for M&Ms.

If you play cedh at a competitive level political bickering a concern. You make the best play that's available to you just as you would in other formats, the only difference is that now you have to consider how your opponents will interact with each other (i.e, would opponent C remove a hatepiece that also affects you or would you have to use the interaction yourself). I know it's shocking but cliquey playgroups are a playgroup problem and not a format problem

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Sickening posted:

Thats kind of a major move LOL. MTGO is for loving rubes. They took the old drafts away and replaced it with phatoms for the same price. Get loving rekt.

I asked him if he knew what entropy was.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Let’s not argue about MODO and talk about something noncontroversial: http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/article.asp?ID=14439&writer=Thea+Miller&articledate=2-7-2018

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

kingcobweb posted:

Let’s not argue about MODO and talk about something noncontroversial: http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/article.asp?ID=14439&writer=Thea+Miller&articledate=2-7-2018

This is a lot of text, and I don't say that as dismissing it. I can't wait for the reddit thread!!! :allears:

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

AceClown posted:

Y'know if they wanted to kill MTGO to replace it with Arena this is a pretty good way to go about it.

But, IIRC, they said they won't be killing off MTGO so clearly they're just idiots.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Cernunnos posted:

Y'know if they wanted to kill MTGO to replace it with Arena this is a pretty good way to go about it.

But, IIRC, they said they won't be killing off MTGO so clearly they're just idiots.

They could also be lying!

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Tainen posted:

Ixalan block constructed is the only good format.

I've played the Arena beta, I can tell you it isn't. It really is not good. I'd rather play Commander than Arena and I hate Commander.

Sickening posted:

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-digital/state-magic-online-2018-2018-02-08

So triple theros phantom drafts! Only 10 bucks!

They are only making fun of you guys at this point. You keep giving mtgo money. :smugdon:

Why the gently caress are phantom drafts STILL so goddamn high-rake AND high priced? Pay-in 800, pay-out 580, top prize is +50% buy-in. God drat Wizards get your poo poo together. Surely they'd fired three times as many drafts if they literally halved the cost, even if they kept the same rake, so 400 in 290 out. 27.5% rake combined with an initial cost twice as high or more as their competitors is pretty absurd.

Also ALL Flashback drafts being phantom is a really loving bad idea.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

ShaneB posted:

This is a lot of text, and I don't say that as dismissing it. I can't wait for the reddit thread!!! :allears:

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

kingcobweb posted:

I read it up to the break where she goes in to the overall problem of women getting excluded from games, which I agree is a problem.

However the first part is loving awful and the "thousand cuts" she describes are flame bait.

I'll summarise the "thousand cuts" so you don't have to read that hot garbage:

• You walk in the store and see no other women
  • The judge announcing the pairings doesn't use your surname due to the fact there is only one girl playing
  • People at the draft table are talking about draft strategy and you chime in with something about a cool pull you made from a pack, they dismiss you
  • Draft ends and someone makes small talk about what you picked instead of an Impale
  • Same dude offers an obvious new person advice about her deck
  • First opponent makes small talk
  • He also offers advice on lines of play and allows take-backs
  • After he beats her 0-2 he offers to look at her deck and help
  • The toilet is disgusting and there's no loo roll (OK yeah gently caress stores that do this)
  • Round two she gets a bit of confidence and gets annoyed that she's not getting any more advice and the game has got a bit serious
  • He gets beat and is a bit salty and just gets up after the match
  • While waiting for the next round she hears him telling his friends that she got lucky and his deck is 4-0 material
  • Finish the tournament 1-3 and doesn't even feel good about the one win thanks to Salty McShitlord
    All of this is down the line after getting more in to the game
  • No one wants to trade with her folder full of standard garbage
  • Finally wins a tournament and Salty McShitlord puts it down to one bomb rare she picked
  • Never gets invited to a play group or makes actual friends
  • Gives up and writes a shitload of words on the internet about it

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?

ShaneB posted:

There were comments enabled on the article earlier and there were quite a few gross ones. I think Emma Handy highlighted a couple of bio truths ones but I’m on my phone and can’t find the tweets now.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

AceClown posted:

I read it up to the break where she goes in to the overall problem of women getting excluded from games, which I agree is a problem.

However the first part is loving awful and the "thousand cuts" she describes are flame bait.

• The judge announcing the pairings doesn't use your surname due to the fact there is only one girl playing
  • People at the draft table are talking about draft strategy and you chime in with something about a cool pull you made from a pack, they dismiss you
  • Draft ends and someone makes small talk about what you picked instead of an Impale
  • The toilet is disgusting and there's no loo roll (OK yeah gently caress stores that do this)
  • Round two she gets a bit of confidence and gets annoyed that she's not getting any more advice and the game has got a bit serious
  • While waiting for the next round she hears him telling his friends that she got lucky and his deck is 4-0 material
  • Finish the tournament 1-3 and doesn't even feel good about the one win thanks to Salty McShitlord
  • Finally wins a tournament and Salty McShitlord puts it down to one bomb rare she picked

its u :toot:

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?

AceClown posted:

Seems like you should actually read the whole article since you are missing some of the points of her article completely. It isn’t that it happens the one tournament or at the one store. It is that it happens every time she goes to a store (including after drafting regularly for months at one store) or an event.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

AceClown posted:

Shut up

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

I'm much happier now that I've refused to play at lovely stores. I'm an enfranchised player and it's just way more fun playing somewhere that welcomes newcomers and actual human beings rather than somewhere I can win more prize packs.

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

AceClown posted:

Honestly as someone who’s started playing at a bunch of different stores of varying quality, this actually paints a pretty good picture of why trying to draft or play competitively for the first time is so uncomfortable to new players, and I can’t blame her for bouncing off. Magic nerds are extremely cliquey and can be pretty weird with new people and especially women.

That is a whole lot of words though.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
https://twitter.com/RadaWilinofsky/status/961470832458387456

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Hellsau posted:

I'm much happier now that I've refused to play at lovely stores. I'm an enfranchised player and it's just way more fun playing somewhere that welcomes newcomers and actual human beings rather than somewhere I can win more prize packs.

A good store does make all the difference. In a area of a million stores, all the good ones are 45 minutes one way.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Look, I'm pretty open minded and if I've got something wrong here then I'm happy to take a different look but half of those things aren't even bad in the slightest, some of them are quite good and most of them are things you'd see at a store regardless of gender. Yeah I know I'm hitting the bingo card with that but I can't see how this is a gendered thing.

Mae posted:

Honestly as someone who’s started playing at a bunch of different stores of varying quality, this actually paints a pretty good picture of why trying to draft or play competitively for the first time is so uncomfortable to new players, and I can’t blame her for bouncing off. Magic nerds are extremely cliquey and can be pretty weird with new people and especially women.

That is a whole lot of words though.

I agree 100% with this.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

AceClown posted:

Look, I'm pretty open minded and if I've got something wrong here then I'm happy to take a different look but half of those things aren't even bad in the slightest, some of them are quite good and most of them are things you'd see at a store regardless of gender. Yeah I know I'm hitting the bingo card with that but I can't see how this is a gendered thing.

I agree 100% with this.
A woman basically poured her heart out about what her personal experience was like trying to fit in the Magic community and you dismiss it all as "hot garbage" and "flame bait" (which doesn't even make sense)

You seem to somehow want to get in an argument about whether someone's perceptions of the Magic community happened or not, which makes no sense and isn't something that's up for debate, because it's her perspective of what happened to her.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

As an old person I find the concept of going to a game store and being anything but annoyed to be outrageous. I overtly dislike 10% of the players I've interacted with at game stores, find 80% more to be normal people I can play magic against, and maybe 10% at best to be people I enjoyed playing with or talking with after a match. Combine that with typically absurd wait times between rounds firing and you got yourself a stew of annoyance going.

This isn't dismissing her concerns or problems with magic players, but it just shows me how callous I have become with even thinking it's a possibility to leave with any real positive feelings about a game store.

ShaneB fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Feb 8, 2018

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

More like "AssClown"

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

kingcobweb posted:

A woman basically poured her heart out about what her personal experience was like trying to fit in the Magic community and you dismiss it all as "hot garbage" and "flame bait" (which doesn't even make sense)

You seem to somehow want to get in an argument about whether someone's perceptions of the Magic community happened or not, which makes no sense and isn't something that's up for debate, because it's her perspective of what happened to her.

I'm not saying it didn't happen at all, I'm saying that a lot of those anecdotes are just not bad. She also flip-flops from "You don't really remember, but find yourself with an unsolicited explanation of common card power rankings and suggestions for your deck." to "You start playing better and win the second game. Almost instantly, the opponent's tone changes, and no further tips or assistance are provided." which is it? Does she want the advice and help or not? That's why I called it hot garbage.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

AceClown posted:

I agree 100% with this.

It can be a gender thing at the same time that it's a new player thing and a lovely store thing. Maybe the unsolicited draft advice is just a general nerd dumbshittery, or maybe it's terrible male paternalism. Maybe salty round two opponent is just a sign of a lovely store since such a player should have been talked down immediately or kicked out, or maybe that lovely store is just fine with people getting salty for the crime of losing to a woman. There's no real way to discern whether some things are specifically an anti-Women-In-My-Card-Game thing or just general shitheadery, other than the fact that a whole lotta women report receiving the same kind of behavior.

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

More like "AssClown"

quoting this for that nutter who has you on ignore

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

AceClown posted:

She also flip-flops from "You don't really remember, but find yourself with an unsolicited explanation of common card power rankings and suggestions for your deck." to "You start playing better and win the second game. Almost instantly, the opponent's tone changes, and no further tips or assistance are provided." which is it? Does she want the advice and help or not? That's why I called it hot garbage.

I think this is pretty clearly the author calling out how people will be condescending or belittling when they are winning and clam up and not be conversational when they are losing. Because winning is all that matters rather than just being a normal person playing a game.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Hellsau posted:

quoting this for that nutter who has you on ignore

who can ignore pax maniac at this point he's the fellow old guy with dad jokes we need

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

ShaneB posted:

who can ignore pax maniac at this point he's the fellow old guy with dad jokes we need

Un-lurking myself to agree with this sentiment.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

AceClown posted:

I'm not saying it didn't happen at all, I'm saying that a lot of those anecdotes are just not bad. She also flip-flops from "You don't really remember, but find yourself with an unsolicited explanation of common card power rankings and suggestions for your deck." to "You start playing better and win the second game. Almost instantly, the opponent's tone changes, and no further tips or assistance are provided." which is it? Does she want the advice and help or not? That's why I called it hot garbage.

The fact that they're "not so bad" is literally the point of the piece, that it's not one thing that's incredibly bad, it's a thousand minor things. Any one of them could be harmless, some of them could happen to anyone, but taken together is exhausting and enough to push anyone out of the game.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

More like "AssClown"

:pusheen:

The Shortest Path posted:

Then you have extremely weird priorities for how you spend your MtG money but you do you I guess! :shrug:

I got those lands from playing legacy and modern a while ago. I just like not having to worry about mana in a 5 color deck, but I'm not sure how most commander players feel about playing vs a jank deck with a powered up mana base though, since I usually just play commander with my friends but I consdering try FNM or league commander in a reasonably casual store.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Sickening posted:

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-digital/state-magic-online-2018-2018-02-08

So triple theros phantom drafts! Only 10 bucks!

They are only making fun of you guys at this point. You keep giving mtgo money. :smugdon:

I was vaguely kinda sorta considering trying out MTGO because schedule stuff keeps preventing me from drafting, but, uh, haha gently caress that.

Also to the dude above: it was a description of the complicated feelings that she has in a paper play environment, not an enumerated list of offenses to her person.

Flip Yr Wig fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Feb 8, 2018

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

I'm not going to quote that whole mess but Hoo Baby did that guy miss the entire point of that article.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Death by 1000 brutal stabbings.