Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

nine-gear crow posted:

Homestuck is merely the visible accretion disk of a black hole from which nothing emerges, except maybe Undertale.

funnily enough, it literally ends with a black hole

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I suppose that yes, that is about as funny as anything Homestuck-related gets

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Speaking of story based comics, Guilded Age is in its final two chapters. It is not the best fantasy comic I've read, but it has kept my attention long enough and as long as it doesn't fall flat on its face in the next month or two it will have completed its race.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

nine-gear crow posted:

Homestuck is merely the visible accretion disk of a black hole from which nothing emerges, except maybe Undertale.

Also Kill Six Billion Demons. And maybe one or two other things but those are the big ones.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

World Famous W posted:

Speaking of story based comics, Guilded Age is in its final two chapters. It is not the best fantasy comic I've read, but it has kept my attention long enough and as long as it doesn't fall flat on its face in the next month or two it will have completed its race.

Ah yes, that's doing well. Guilded Age is a story comic that's actually managed to the pacing problems mentioned before - it has its destination and it's been heading there the whole time.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I'd like Guilded Age a lot better if it was the story of Jay Guatsby, troubled outsider newly stumbled into a decadent world of big-titty art deco videogame elves

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Feb 8, 2018

true leftist
Feb 1, 2018

by zen death robot

Roland Jones posted:

Also Kill Six Billion Demons. And maybe one or two other things but those are the big ones.
k6bd is such a step up in quality for webcomics that it honestly frightens me a bit

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

true leftist posted:

k6bd is such a step up in quality for webcomics that it honestly frightens me a bit

I'm hoping that it turns out to be like how modern athletes are ridiculously advanced compared to those of a century ago thanks to modern training methods and medicine, and that the cartoonists of the future will have insanely resilient wrist muscles and powerful scheduling techniques.

true leftist
Feb 1, 2018

by zen death robot
anyway i don't have chooks anymore because i moved into civilisation and rejoined society (they all went to good homes in intact family units) but here are my two happily married quail, moon unit and felafel, having a romantic dust bath together. i can only have two because moon unit (the speckly one) is a jealous wife and can't stand any other quail being near her husband, she pecks and buzzes at them until they go away - by which i mean they fly over the fence into backyard of the meth lab next door, which i've had to break into multiple times now

bonus flatbird

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Oh, Ava's Demon is updating again! If you can get through the server errors.

true leftist
Feb 1, 2018

by zen death robot
nowadays because when i hit the submit button i have no idea if i'll be met by "you just made a post! on the internet!!!" or "you've been banned!"; it makes the act of posting very exciting for me, in an emotional sense and also sexually, though my capacity for sexual arousal is limited due to peculiarities of my form

true leftist
Feb 1, 2018

by zen death robot
i've been banned midpost three times now, and those three posts actually sucked and it's good that they were lost forever, so who's to say there's not some cosmic force in play?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Miss, this is a drive thru...

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Moon Unit is an awesome bird name.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

I seem to recall Snarlbear being enjoyed by the thread. It ended last May, and she's just now doing a Kickstarter for the complete comic. Almost halfway there, with 26 days to go.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
i like the elongated chicken on the ground.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Serious question:

How is The Draw Play not in the Goon made comic list? It's done by Febreeze. It's a US Football comic, focusing on the NFL and all the silliness involved.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

true leftist posted:

i've been banned midpost three times now, and those three posts actually sucked and it's good that they were lost forever, so who's to say there's not some cosmic force in play?
Well that'll teach you to make bad shitposts

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I was checking my old Feedly and saw that it still had Astronaut Elementary in it. Congrats on the author for getting it turned into a graphic novel series within the past three-to-seven years!

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

PMush Perfect posted:

Well that'll teach you to make bad shitposts

This you say, to the Don Draper of shitposting

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

iospace posted:

Serious question:

How is The Draw Play not in the Goon made comic list? It's done by Febreeze. It's a US Football comic, focusing on the NFL and all the silliness involved.

I would imagine because whoever wrote the list hadn't heard of it.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Foot... balls?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Cat Mattress posted:

So, I just read "Seeds: a Mini Story". It is so mini that it has over 200 pages and a video. It also went nowhere, going to poo poo once the protags finally get to hell. It also has an epilogue that's entirely unrelated to the characters and the events of the story. And, of course, it's not finished.

In summary, it's just a big furry waste of time spread over 200 pages of this:

A creep, uh?

Also, seems pretty snouty to me.

I saw Seeds more like some kind of big intro to the entire thing, I started with that one and then brute-forced my way by going date to date. Some stuff was neat, like the video games or the love story in text, some stuff was seriously surreal, like abstract art turned into a webcomic. Overall, I liked the parts which were cosmic horror the best. Seeds is mostly middle of the road compared to that, only standing out because of the bizarre art style.

Edit:

Seriously, some parts are so strange and out there, they've made me think the author may have read one too many horror books. And also that she completely wastes her talent doing webcomics.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

FunkyAl posted:

This you say, to the Don Draper of shitposting
The mods ban her rather than let her sully her reputation with a mediocre post.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Samuringa posted:

This is why I prefer reading Gag-a-Day webcomics instead. It's not that they're bad, but Story Based Webcomics move at a glacial pace.

At any point Kazerad will stop his comic for three years to work on a flash game. The danger of that happening keeps you coming back! It's science! Ask anyone who was into homestuck. :proof:

iospace posted:

Serious question:

This is a cute comic.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Samuringa posted:

This is why I prefer reading Gag-a-Day webcomics instead. It's not that they're bad, but Story Based Webcomics move at a glacial pace.

I honestly wonder why so many of these webcomics (that is to say, the heavily plot-oriented ones) stick to M-W-F instead of doing the, y'know, actual comic thing of putting out a bi-weekly/monthly issue. I know why some series do it (to keep reader interest piqued over a longer period or because it gives them more time to draw more impressive scenes) but I feel like a lot of these series pacing issues could be solved by releasing whole chapters at once instead of spreading them out over such a long period.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what keeps reader retention higher, updates once a month or thrice weekly? which gives more ad revenue?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
keep in mind the average self-employed webcomic artist is kind of scraping by

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Tollymain posted:

what keeps reader retention higher, updates once a month or thrice weekly? which gives more ad revenue?

I forgot about ad revenue, you're probably right about that. I still think that kind of format could keep a high reader retention if enough people are interested in it but they would probably have to find some other way to generate revenue. I guess Paetron could be an option but that kind of already assumes you're an established series that people will pay to support, and that's not getting into taxes and poo poo.

I don;t know, I just feel like there should be a better way to handle this that doesn't involve drawing things out for so long. :shrug:

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
I can't speak for other webcomic creators but I graduated from art school with a comic art degree (note: I do not necessarily recommend this) and proceeded to do gently caress-all with it, opting to actually make money with an IT job instead. All the same I was feeling down on myself for not doing any art and yet when I tried to really commit to doing the comic story I wanted to do, I kept burning out due to the workload being kind of unmanageable with a full time job and just feeling like too much to do in general. At this point I was thinking I'd put together a book or series of issues, which obviously just wasn't working.

I don't know when I got the idea but doing it as a webcomic meant that 1) a schedule to stick to that's actually possible with a day job, 2) burning out way less frequently due to the work being spread out over time and 3) getting that little endorphin rush from sharing my work with the world, which is satisfying but also keeps me motivated to continue working.

I mostly think the balance-with-daily-life thing is the most significant factor. poo poo is a lot of work, so being able to do it a bit at a time is probably what makes doing a comic possible for a lot of people.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Tollymain posted:

In my experience I retain information/am much more interested in a comic (or anything else) when it's presented in an issue or "text" format as opposed to a constantly updating one, the larger problem is that social (and broadcast) media trains us not to retain anything and just keep focus on whatever is being presented exactly now, Right Now, scroll on to the next post already you're done reading this one keep looking at the stream don't stop the stream don't question it just eat it dummy eat it down don't think about it, and since that's the predominant form by which the internet generates revenue people latch onto the business model whether or not it helps them or their product in the long term.

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

I forgot about ad revenue, you're probably right about that. I still think that kind of format could keep a high reader retention if enough people are interested in it but they would probably have to find some other way to generate revenue. I guess Paetron could be an option but that kind of already assumes you're an established series that people will pay to support, and that's not getting into taxes and poo poo.

I don;t know, I just feel like there should be a better way to handle this that doesn't involve drawing things out for so long. :shrug:
I think there should be too, Mechanical Tom Petty!

true leftist
Feb 1, 2018

by zen death robot

FunkyAl posted:

In my experience I retain information/am much more interested in a comic (or anything else) when it's presented in an issue or "text" format as opposed to a constantly updating one, the larger problem is that social (and broadcast) media trains us not to retain anything and just keep focus on whatever is being presented exactly now, Right Now, scroll on to the next post already you're done reading this one keep looking at the stream don't stop the stream don't question it just eat it dummy eat it down don't think about it, and since that's the predominant form by which the internet generates revenue people latch onto the business model whether or not it helps them or their product in the long term.
this is so good, you've illuminated the feeling perfectly of having your brain slowly trained against its will to crave a constant passive stream of shallow, transiently engaging content to turn you into an endlessly hungering data processing machine that generates money via complex algorithms somewhere in the cloud, an omnipresent miasma that controls everything despite the fact that it once the electricity breaks down the cloud may or may not blink out of existence, taking our entire societal structure with it as it goes

true leftist
Feb 1, 2018

by zen death robot
also i hadn't heard of floraverse so thanks for discussing it, the art is amazing so i'm checking it out even if the story's not there and the creator is a lunatic ?? (tbh this is a positive, if anything)

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Readers will accept long update cycles if they're invested. Look at Lackadaisy, or incomprehensibly, Dresden Codak.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Most of the ones that get away with that are the ones that are already at the high end of production values, though.

Paranatural (chapter five) might be able to work that way, but Paranatural (chapter one) probably wouldn't have made it long enough to develop to where it is now.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

Paranatural (chapter five)

I still cannot get over the fact that that chapter has been going on for four years now. Holy poo poo. And I though Chapter 4 of Paranatural dragged on for too long...

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Max moved to (I forget the name of the town because it's been a decade) two days ago. The relationship between Isaac, Isabel and Ed has undergone way more than two days of evolution, but I can kinda accept that because they're middle-schoolers.

Lots of other comics, ostensibly featuring adults, have the same problem where you can tell, even just reading through a bunch of finished pages, that the story developed over a way longer period than its characters and world supposedly experienced. People who two hours ago were reluctant associates are now die-hard teammates because the last hour felt like a year, for some reason. Every location seems to become the entire world remarkably quickly. A fact that is a new mind-blowing revelation becomes a commonly-understood part of the world in a weirdly short amount of time.

Most recently I noticed this reading through A Better Place and Demon's Mirror, but I feel like it's pretty widespread. (I want to point fingers at Ava's Demon, but supposedly the author wrote all of it ahead of time, and I'm not certain enough to confidently call bullshit on that.)

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Feb 10, 2018

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Typical Pubbie posted:

Readers will accept long update cycles if they're invested. Look at Lackadaisy, or incomprehensibly, Dresden Codak.

I'm not sure how big Lackadaisy's readership actually is but I'm sure it'd be significantly bigger if most folks didn't forget it exists between updates

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Platinum Grit has the update schedule of releasing whole chapters at once.

Its why I stopped reading it. I never knew if it was ever going to update again and got tired of waiting and then forgetting who everyone was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Platinum Grit hasn't updated in years and the artist moved on to a whole new comic so, uh, glad you're not still checking