Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Just finished 7B. My face was all :psyduck: when the bird came by and introduced a "new" mechanic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I got the golden strawberry in 5A, eat poo poo monsters!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I spent so long doing 1a dashless that I keep killing myself in other levels because I forget I'm allowed to dash now.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I got my combined A-side time under 1:20:00 and I'm real pleased with myself about that.

I loving love this game and I've never even liked games like this before, really.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

grand theft grotto posted:

I've been playing on Switch joycons and have a no death clear on 1-B and am working on the same for 2-B. I've flubbed a few inputs but it always feels like my fault.

And you used the joycon's d-pad*? Having every direction have its own isolated button could be very useful in not flubbing an input. At first my DS4 felt great, but I found out its possible to hit a single direction in such a way the pad actually registers a diagonal input. It's my best controller but I'm not going for the no-death strubs if the controller can read "left" as "left and up". Which it can and does. :(

*assuming you're not using the analog. If you got the no death 1B run with analog you are officially a crazy person.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Mindblast posted:

And you used the joycon's d-pad*? Having every direction have its own isolated button could be very useful in not flubbing an input. At first my DS4 felt great, but I found out its possible to hit a single direction in such a way the pad actually registers a diagonal input. It's my best controller but I'm not going for the no-death strubs if the controller can read "left" as "left and up". Which it can and does. :(

*assuming you're not using the analog. If you got the no death 1B run with analog you are officially a crazy person.

No, no, no. I meant the analog. So I guess I'm officially a crazy person by your reckoning.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Zaggitz posted:

The developer should obviously apologize for sticking a reference to his favorite childhood game in his game,

Well, it's just not really a good puzzle. Nothing within the game itself would let you know how to get it. So if you aren't familiar with Mario 3 and that trick, tough luck.

Got through 3B with over 300 deaths. Those blob things are the bane of my existence.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

If you aren't familiar with Mario 3 then just look up the answer on YouTube

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
They should have made the "foreground" of that area a separate level that just leads to a bird that says "google mario bros 3 white block" or whatever.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

No, no, no. I meant the analog. So I guess I'm officially a crazy person by your reckoning.

I like the Pro Controller’s analog and Joycon, too. I think the Pro Controller is easier for me, but playing portable Celeste doesn’t put a control handicap on at all.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I didn't know the specific mechanics of the trick but I recognized the block and understood the basic concept of the room by observing the background. Wasn't hard to discover what to do from there.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Let's try this again and hope that I don't get stuck in the mirror dimension this time! We are replaying the chapter we did on my mirror dimension stream, hopefully without interruption. Probably going to finish the main story today. Come chill out with me and my chat friends!

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

For as hard as I got murdered by 7A (and really anything after 3A)…

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

loving mirror dimension man. DESSELB#

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

playing on switch; now that i'm replaying for all strawbs, the mirror dimension has been loving up my game a bit.

whenever i get to Theo in his crystal, the game glitches out and crashes back to the menu. at least the switch doesn't softlock or anything but god drat that's been three times in a row now. FRUSTRATING!

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

alf_pogs posted:

playing on switch; now that i'm replaying for all strawbs, the mirror dimension has been loving up my game a bit.

whenever i get to Theo in his crystal, the game glitches out and crashes back to the menu. at least the switch doesn't softlock or anything but god drat that's been three times in a row now. FRUSTRATING!

I've never encountered this specifically, but I did have the game crash once or twice when finishing Chapter 1 under speedrun conditions. Hasn't happened in a while now but it was very strange.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

:captainpop:

Yeah ok doing that deathless with analog strikes me as tougher than doing deathless through other means. :ocelot: :golfclap:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Zaggitz posted:

The developer should obviously apologize for sticking a reference to his favorite childhood game in his game,
Maybe it was a reference to his favorite childhood movie :colbert:

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
There seems to be an occasionally recurring glitch (on the Switch version, at least) where the game crashes after the chapter clear screen. This happened to me for the first time after my first time clearing 2-B. I was this close to finally understanding what would drive a human to throw a heavy controller at an expensive television they bought, but fortunately it turns out that the crash happens after the game saves your data.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Regy Rusty posted:

I didn't know the specific mechanics of the trick but I recognized the block and understood the basic concept of the room by observing the background. Wasn't hard to discover what to do from there.

"Hmm this room seems impossible with everything I know, I bet it has nothing to do with this block that isn't anywhere else in the game."

alf_pogs posted:

Are you dying in the cutscene the first time you see him but can't reach him?

That's known and patched on the current version

Are you picking him up the same frame he leaves the screen consistently somehow?

That's also patched on the current version

Fedule posted:

There seems to be an occasionally recurring glitch (on the Switch version, at least) where the game crashes after the chapter clear screen. This happened to me for the first time after my first time clearing 2-B. I was this close to finally understanding what would drive a human to throw a heavy controller at an expensive television they bought, but fortunately it turns out that the crash happens after the game saves your data.

That's known and should be patched out when switch is allowed to catch up to the current pc version, along with the broken northern lights.

What I'm saying is maybe buy indie games on pc because consoles put roadblocks in the way of patches

SeXReX fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Feb 9, 2018

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
Well you see, in SMB3 it didn't actually let you climb on the background, it just dropped you to the ground, so obviously it is a broken puzzle????

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

SeXReX posted:

"Hmm this room seems impossible with everything I know, I bet it has nothing to do with this block that isn't anywhere else in the game."

Are you dying in the cutscene the first time you see him but can't reach him?

That's known and patched on the current version

it's in this cutscene, and the first time i got there i died and it crashed to the OS. but second and third times was extra-cautious and didn't die. as soon as maddi stopped moving, the game crashed to OS. is this patch rolled out to switch? maybe i need to do an update on it

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I don't know how I feel about the Mario Block puzzle.

I mean, it's a neat shoutout, and easter eggs of this kind absolutely are a great thing that it rules that new games today can do. What's less neat is that a puzzle that's entirely external to the game is on... well not the critical path, but if you're going for unlocking everything there will come a point where you have to get that heart before you can unlock the C-Sides. And there isn't anything in the game that hints at what to do for those who don't get the reference. Worse, doing the right thing seems for a long time to have no effect, and nothing else in the game involves crouching for that long, so it's unlikely it can be found by experimentation even when it's screamingly obvious that the answer is something to do with this big white block, so in gonna-say-99.9% of cases the chain of events is going to be; Giving up (in Celeste, a game that is on multiple levels about not giving up), asking the internet how to get that heart, being told the answer, immediately asking what's the deal with the answer, and going "oh huh I guess it's a reference to a game I've never played".

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I think if the game had that kind of 'puzzle' all the time it'd be kind of lame, but imo once as an homage to a real important monument in platformers (smb3) isn't that bad.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
It’s kind of amusing that a day after I gave up on that room, the thread is discussing it. I knew it was out of place, but apparently didn’t crouch down long enough. I even recognized it being a SMB3 reference, but I was so hyper focused on the bird sounds that it creates by running left / right on it, and trying to find a pattern related to the sound like the other room in World 3A.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

CJacobs posted:

I think if the game had that kind of 'puzzle' all the time it'd be kind of lame, but imo once as an homage to a real important monument in platformers (smb3) isn't that bad.

:same:

i wish more games had this game's slavish love of SMB3 in it. SMB3 > Super Mario World imho

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I think if I were designing it, I'd make a tough but solvable puzzle to get the heart, and then have the smb3 block which gives you a p-block for the screen, letting you mostly skip it. It rewards the cool reference while being a showstopper for continuing in the game.

I've slowed down a lot, I'm on 4-b now. Gotta push through but these B-sides take a lot out of me and the xbox 360 d-pad is leaving a lot to be desired.

Tax Inductions
Jul 9, 2007

I carry refreshments to the good guys
I made the good guys some home fries

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I think if I were designing it, I'd make a tough but solvable puzzle to get the heart, and then have the smb3 block which gives you a p-block for the screen, letting you mostly skip it. It rewards the cool reference while being a showstopper for continuing in the game.

I've slowed down a lot, I'm on 4-b now. Gotta push through but these B-sides take a lot out of me and the xbox 360 d-pad is leaving a lot to be desired.

Don't ask me how, but I've completed all the b-sides and 2 c-sides (1 and 4) with the xbox 360 analogue stick.

This may or may not have something to do with the fact that I have almost 7000 deaths logged.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Tax Inductions posted:

Don't ask me how, but I've completed all the b-sides and 2 c-sides (1 and 4) with the xbox 360 analogue stick.

This may or may not have something to do with the fact that I have almost 7000 deaths logged.

Yeah I've been using the analog stick mostly but 4-b is stretching it - occasionally going up instead of up-right has turned into frequently going up instead of up-right. I too have thousands of deaths including 1300 on my first pass of world 7. (I don't play for low deaths and always went for every strawberry but still, that's too many.)

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

For the blue heart in world 6, I'm pretty sure that it is up the elevator shaft near the old lady, but to get to it, I will need the double jump. Which means that I somehow have to get back to the elevator shaft after getting the double-jump powerup. I've tried finding hidden walls in the section of the level where you have double jump, but nothing. My only thought now is that I have to climb out of the final section without using my shadow, since that triggers the end of the chapter, but I've spent quite a bit of time attempting this, without much success.

Someone please just reply "yes" or "no" about whether I should continue what I'm doing. I don't want any other hints or spoilers - just tell me if I'm wasting my time with my current plan.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
You are completely wrong.

DoctorWhat fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Feb 9, 2018

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
No.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Inferior Third Season posted:

For the blue heart in world 6, I'm pretty sure that it is up the elevator shaft near the old lady, but to get to it, I will need the double jump. Which means that I somehow have to get back to the elevator shaft after getting the double-jump powerup. I've tried finding hidden walls in the section of the level where you have double jump, but nothing. My only thought now is that I have to climb out of the final section without using my shadow, since that triggers the end of the chapter, but I've spent quite a bit of time attempting this, without much success.

Someone please just reply "yes" or "no" about whether I should continue what I'm doing. I don't want any other hints or spoilers - just tell me if I'm wasting my time with my current plan.

You are completely off track, yes.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Okay. Thanks. I'll comb through the level again. I've found all the other ones. This one will eventually be uncovered, too.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

If you aren't familiar with Mario 3 then just look up the answer on YouTube

that's lame and makes it a bad puzzle

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
One out of 200+ ain't bad

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I just wish there was an alternate method or a hint as to what to do if you don't know the reference.

I spent SO LONG dashing behind the white block. I also explored the rest of the level to see if maybe there was a different thing I missed.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Honestly I'm pretty okay with the blue heart puzzles not being great because they're not really the point of the game. Could they have been better? Sure, but when they come alongside such a sublime platformer I'm not really in the mood to complain.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
this game is hecking good as heck so far

it's like night in the woods and super meat boy had a babby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Artelier posted:

I just wish there was an alternate method or a hint as to what to do if you don't know the reference.

I spent SO LONG dashing behind the white block. I also explored the rest of the level to see if maybe there was a different thing I missed.

The alternate method is 'asking on the internet'