Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
Remember when mystery heroes had a character select screen and people would all pick the same character and flash it in solidarity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

And if you're playing No Limits, it usually means "LET'S RUN 6 DEEP WITH THIS HERO"

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Armacham posted:

Remember when mystery heroes had a character select screen and people would all pick the same character and flash it in solidarity

Everyone could agree on Torb 100% of the time. Aardvark pays off.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Bumper Stickup posted:

All the time whenever I picked Zen. Almost guaranteed some shitlord would swap off whoever they already had picked to do what you described with Mercy. Wasn't just me either. Saw it happen with other characters too like Winston, Soldier, Rein. Jerk doing it would never actually pick that character but instead go back to whoever they were at first.

Supercar Gautier posted:

Yeah, the idea is that it makes the character flash on everyone's screen so it works as a passive-aggressive "WE NEED THIS" signal.
I think I've seen this once or twice but for the most part it's always been bored folks that start doing it because I'm doing it (or vice versa). I wonder if being on PC vs. console makes a difference in attitude/reason for doing this (I'm XboneX)

Armacham posted:

thexerox123 posted:

And if you're playing No Limits, it usually means "LET'S RUN 6 DEEP WITH THIS HERO"
Yeah also this hahaha

6 pharahs on Temple of Anubis is a hot nightmare

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Feb 8, 2018

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
And the rest of the new skins are for....Pharah, Zarya, and McCree. :effort:

Poor Orisa and Doomfist get jack poo poo again.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

why do they hate doomfist so much wtf

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Redundant posted:

e: The bigger issue here is that there are heroes in the game that people hate enough that playing them tilts team mates off the face of the earth. Because let's be honest, it's not one tricks people don't like, it's off meta one tricks.

People hate junkrat one tricks and he's been meta for months.

People hate mercy one tricks and she's been meta for months.

This is a red herring dude. I don't know where it came from, but its not true at all.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Rirse posted:

Poor Orisa and Doomfist get jack poo poo again.

hugely missed opportunity for a dog skin for Orisa.

Can't believe there's no dog skins in this year of our dog, 2018.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

holy poo poo they actually made comp CTF

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Oxyclean posted:

hugely missed opportunity for a dog skin for Orisa.

Can't believe there's no dog skins in this year of our dog, 2018.

dogs are mans now, dog

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I think this is the first event since Uprising that I honestly don't care about the gold skins as they are all for my least played characters.

highmodulus
Feb 16, 2011

Let's go crazy Broadway style!

Bumper Stickup posted:

All the time whenever I picked Zen. Almost guaranteed some shitlord would swap off whoever they already had picked to do what you described with Mercy. Wasn't just me either. Saw it happen with other characters too like Winston, Soldier, Rein. Jerk doing it would never actually pick that character but instead go back to whoever they were at first.

It was Hanzo, wasn't it?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the new genji and pharah skins look nice

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Bumper Stickup posted:

Switch to their first pick character while they do that!

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

what in the gently caress is this mode

what in the gently caress is this mccree skin

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

FPS dropped from a steady 100 to laggy af 45-65 (on a G-Sync monitor)

Anyone else?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

mcbexx posted:

FPS dropped from a steady 100 to laggy af 45-65 (on a G-Sync monitor)

Anyone else?

What, right after the update? It's gonna be laggy for awhile.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Constantine XI
Dec 21, 2003
omg turk rush

frajaq posted:

what in the gently caress is this mode

what in the gently caress is this mccree skin

It's awesome is what it is.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I wish they'd give Pharah more total-face covering helmets. The mecha ones are just too good.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I don't really care about any of the new skins but I like one change they made, when you're searching for a game in Arcade now, it says which game you're searching for at the top (like MYSTERY HEROES: Searching...) instead of just (Searching). Nice

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Armacham posted:

I remember when doing this meant only one of you actually got a random character, and the rest of the team would be a 5 stack of winston or mei usually :nostalgia:

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
Well this CTF has the exact same problem as the last one: teams capture one flag and then turtle until the game ends. Fun.

Should be forced to capture three to win.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Thoughtless posted:

Well this CTF has the exact same problem as the last one: teams capture one flag and then turtle until the game ends. Fun.

I do enjoy playing 2 hour games.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

dogstile posted:

People hate junkrat one tricks and he's been meta for months.

People hate mercy one tricks and she's been meta for months.

This is a red herring dude. I don't know where it came from, but its not true at all.
That's a fair point. There are a bunch of reasons to be annoyed by one tricks and there's no point focusing on just one of them. Recent events bring it to the forefront of my mind and, just like in game, I sometimes get tunnel vision. My bad.

This feels like splitting hairs about a mostly unrelated edit and ignoring the overall arguments I made against banning one tricks though. It also feels like the whole "punishing one tricks" thing is still more about telling people they're not allowed to play certain heroes or punishing mechanically less talented players :shrug:

Even if you're right it is toxic to tell people what/how to play. Even in competitive. Because it's a game. People are allowed to have fun playing it however they like. If you're getting upset about how somebody chooses to play their game then maybe the problem isn't with them.

e: For clarity, and to avoid other diversions, pointing out once that the red team has a widow, McCree and S76 so they might be able to do more work as anything other than Pharah is fine. Getting mad at them or reporting them if they carry on playing Pharah is not fine.

Redundant fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Feb 8, 2018

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Thoughtless posted:

At least the last minute tie is gone. I still think those were more annoying then the turtles. "If we can't win, neither will you.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Redundant posted:

That's a fair point. There are a bunch of reasons to be annoyed by one tricks and there's no point focusing on just one of them. Recent events bring it to the forefront of my mind and, just like in game, I sometimes get tunnel vision. My bad.

This feels like splitting hairs about a mostly unrelated edit and ignoring the overall arguments I made against banning one tricks though. It also feels like the whole "punishing one tricks" thing is still more about telling people they're not allowed to play certain heroes or punishing mechanically less talented players :shrug:

Even if you're right it is toxic to tell people what/how to play. Even in competitive. Because it's a game. People are allowed to have fun playing it however they like. If you're getting upset about how somebody chooses to play their game then maybe the problem isn't with them.

e: For clarity, and to avoid other diversions, pointing out once that the red team has a widow, McCree and S76 so they might be able to do more work as anything other than Pharah is fine. Getting mad at them or reporting them if they carry on playing Pharah is not fine.

Having fun at the expense of others is not something that is normally tolerated in real world group play situations. It's only a thing online in games like this because there typically is no downside to doing it outside of people complaining. Walking to a park and joining a pick up game of whatever team sport is being played and then only making trick shots because you find it fun is pretty rude and you aren't going to be having fun for very long if the other people ask you to stop and you don't. OW has three different game areas dedicated to casual play, so I don't see how it is not ok to expect people to take 1 game mode seriously. That Pharah can play Pharah forever in Arcade, Quick Match, and Custom Games and shouldn't be expected to switch off in those places. In comp, play as a team or don't play. It's a weird sense of entitlement to expect everyone else to play around you.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BixlByzrGq4

having a nice time playing Mei in CTF

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Bust Rodd posted:

It’s not ELO hell isnt real, it’s that it’s ALL ELO HELL

Make this the title of every overwatch thread on the forums

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

I don't see what Electric Light Orchestra has to do with Overwatch

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

thexerox123 posted:

I don't see what Electric Light Orchestra has to do with Overwatch

It's bad. That's why it's called hell.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Elo isn't an acronym, yo. It's the name of the chess dude that developed the Elo system.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

elo hell is other people

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

ToastyPotato posted:

Having fun at the expense of others is not something that is normally tolerated in real world group play situations. It's only a thing online in games like this because there typically is no downside to doing it outside of people complaining. Walking to a park and joining a pick up game of whatever team sport is being played and then only making trick shots because you find it fun is pretty rude and you aren't going to be having fun for very long if the other people ask you to stop and you don't. OW has three different game areas dedicated to casual play, so I don't see how it is not ok to expect people to take 1 game mode seriously. That Pharah can play Pharah forever in Arcade, Quick Match, and Custom Games and shouldn't be expected to switch off in those places. In comp, play as a team or don't play. It's a weird sense of entitlement to expect everyone else to play around you.
That's an unfair comparison, but OK. There seem to be a few main reasons for disliking one tricks, all are valid frustrations but that doesn't make them fair reasons for banning people.

1) They one trick heroes that require a different skill set, so if you get two people who one trick the same hero you are in trouble. That's a design thing, not a fault of the player. Blizzard created heroes that utilise different skill sets, it would be kind of bad to then punish people who then made the most of their skills. I get that it's annoying but this is basically the older guy who shows up and is solid but can't run like he used to. He's doing his best and there's a role for him, but if you get 2 on your team it's hard work. You don't punish somebody for doing their best though.

2) People play their hero even when it doesn't suit the situation. Playing sub optimal heroes isn't against the rules and shouldn't be. Also, letting other people decide what is sub optimal is a bad idea because if I'm on OK Doomfist but a terrible everything else you're better off letting me DF as opposed to having me try something "better". There are also very few hard counter situations and even if the red team has a widow, McCree and S76 it might be worth sticking on Pharah if you're distracting 3 of their team. Pressuring people to toe the line for fear of reports stifles potentially creative ideas to make suboptimal picks viable. This is like the guy who only plays offence, you can make him play in defence but he won't be happy about it and even doing his best you're going to end up getting beat much worse.

3) People on alts who intentionally pick a hero that's bad in a lot of situations to show off/annoy people. There is a show off in every sports game I've ever taken part in. This is similar to your analogy so I agree. Ban all smurfs.

I'd much rather play with any of these people than 4) The guy who won't stop telling people that they're playing wrong and who then gets salty about losing.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Redundant posted:

That's an unfair comparison, but OK. There seem to be a few main reasons for disliking one tricks, all are valid frustrations but that doesn't make them fair reasons for banning people.

1) They one trick heroes that require a different skill set, so if you get two people who one trick the same hero you are in trouble. That's a design thing, not a fault of the player. Blizzard created heroes that utilise different skill sets, it would be kind of bad to then punish people who then made the most of their skills. I get that it's annoying but this is basically the older guy who shows up and is solid but can't run like he used to. He's doing his best and there's a role for him, but if you get 2 on your team it's hard work. You don't punish somebody for doing their best though.

2) People play their hero even when it doesn't suit the situation. Playing sub optimal heroes isn't against the rules and shouldn't be. Also, letting other people decide what is sub optimal is a bad idea because if I'm on OK Doomfist but a terrible everything else you're better off letting me DF as opposed to having me try something "better". There are also very few hard counter situations and even if the red team has a widow, McCree and S76 it might be worth sticking on Pharah if you're distracting 3 of their team. Pressuring people to toe the line for fear of reports stifles potentially creative ideas to make suboptimal picks viable. This is like the guy who only plays offence, you can make him play in defence but he won't be happy about it and even doing his best you're going to end up getting beat much worse.

3) People on alts who intentionally pick a hero that's bad in a lot of situations to show off/annoy people. There is a show off in every sports game I've ever taken part in. This is similar to your analogy so I agree. Ban all smurfs.

I'd much rather play with any of these people than 4) The guy who won't stop telling people that they're playing wrong and who then gets salty about losing.

For #1 I basically agree, but at the same time, if you are going to play comp mode, maybe you need to have a fall back character. It makes sense, and will have better results for the player. If you never want to play any other character, I feel like it is pretty weird to feel entitled to play comp mode when you realistically might not even get to play that character if someone picks it first. Then what? Give up? Waste everyone's time because now you're helpless?

For number 2, I would say it is situational. Kind of like you mentioned. Maybe that Pharah is working as a distraction and your team gets things done. But if that Pharah is getting nothing done, and the team is asking for them to do something, then feeding should be reportable, and it is in other games.

And for #4, harassing people about their picks should also not be allowed, obviously.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
listen you shitlord people it's my god given right to be as much of a complete rear end in a top hat as humanly possible to 5 other people AND they should have to try as hard as they can to help me win on top of it. I paid 30 usd for this game okay

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Real talk, just leave games if you have annoying assholes in them. I do this 100% of the time I get some whiny jerks and I enjoy the game like 20x more, plus my SR ends up around the same level anyways and my games feel easier. It's win-win

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

ToastyPotato posted:

OW has three different game areas dedicated to casual play, so I don't see how it is not ok to expect people to take 1 game mode seriously. That Pharah can play Pharah forever in Arcade, Quick Match, and Custom Games and shouldn't be expected to switch off in those places. In comp, play as a team or don't play. It's a weird sense of entitlement to expect everyone else to play around you.

:hai::hai::hai:

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Sombra was unintentionally changed pretty dramatically with this patch

Geoff Goodman posted:

A few changes that are being worked on accidentally found their way into the most recent patch. This is unintentional and we're working on removing these.

We're planning on putting up a new PTR soon that has these changes (and more), so consider this a sneak peak.

Here are the complete changes (so far) for Sombra that we are looking to test out soon:

* No longer gains ult from health pack healing
* Weapon Spread decreased by 10%
* Hacking speed increased from 0.8s to 0.65s
* Hacking will disable more abilities. Basically any ability that requires a button press will also be disabled. Here is a list:

Genji - Double Jump/Wall Climb
Pharah - Hover Jets
Hanzo - Wall Climb
Lucio - currently running Crossfade song will be disabled
Mercy - Angelic Descent

The idea here is to take some power out of her ult (and awkwardness of ult gain through health packs), and give her more power and usefulness in the rest of her kit.

I think this just makes her underpowered, but it's probably a step in the right direction with making the rest of her kit potentially stronger (over iterations) and added potential to totally gently caress over Pharah and Genji.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
im excited to see hacked genjis and hanzos jumping at walls futilely