Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

I finished painting my table:

Also; painting questions. I'm trying to achieve a washed out desaturated red color. This is my first attempt:

As you can see, he now has beautiful pink pants. My approach was to take a red and add a grey for my base. Then add grey and black for highlights or shade respectively.

My questions is: How do you effectively de-saturated a color? I tried just adding a complimentary color and the base looks nice; but adding a white or grey seems to make it pink again :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
One of the 40k guys at the local shop I play at did this commission for me, pretty jacked about it.

The resin model intimidated me, and I wanted him to look sexy next to the terminators I bought on eBay recently ($6 bucks a model!!!)

A bit too much lighting in that last one, but I've already put them all away (except Lysander, who will be at my desk for the foreseeable future) so yeah.

Oh and here's my latest painting for comparison:

Still putting some finishing touches, gonna do some edging soon as well. Sorta botched the front armor panels.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

LifeLynx posted:

What's the best way to paint dots? I want to make a pattern of dots of the same size, but I can't get them consistent with a brush tip.

I've heard of people using toothpicks but haven't tried it myself.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Hixson posted:

I hate you. Please tell me you live somewhere near Seattle so I can play on that table?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Funny thing about that. You wanna play in our March VisV campaign? Hixson is taking some tiles to it.

There's also a regular group of goons playing up here. 30k only. Painted only. Final destination.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

BULBASAUR posted:

Funny thing about that. You wanna play in our March VisV campaign? Hixson is taking some tiles to it.

There's also a regular group of goons playing up here. 30k only. Painted only. Final destination.

Where at? I don't know 30k or have the books, but I could maybe have them by March and I'm a firm believer in painted only.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Stephenls posted:

Their white primer is both white and covers like poo poo unless you shake it really well and use it unthinned.

It also dries so fast it clogs my airbrush mid spray, I don't use it anymore.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

BULBASAUR posted:

quote:

Painted only.

So you've yet to play a game?

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Bazanga posted:

I bought a ton of white vallejo primer and white just isn't doing it for me. I don't want to prime black, because I find it is is way too dark for most models and I hate having to paint 6 layers of a light color to even get it visible. I'm thinking Dark Gray is a good middle ground. Is there any reason why I shouldn't mix black Vallejo PAINT (not primer) in with the white Vallejo primer to darken it? I know primers contain resins vs pigment, but I don't know if I am going to chemically screw something up. The Vallejo page says it can be mixed with "auxiliaries" but doesn't mention paints. http://www.acrylicosvallejo.com/en_US/primers/family/22

You could prime white and then spray a black wash to darken it.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Cross posting my House Escher ganger:

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Cross posting my House Escher ganger:

Very nice. How did you do the rust on the base? It has the look I want for my necromunda models.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

MrFlibble posted:

Very nice. How did you do the rust on the base? It has the look I want for my necromunda models.

Thanks! For the base I did a basecoat of leadbelcher, then all over that with typhus corrosion, drybrushed that heavily with ryza rust, then a final drybrush with leadbelcher avoiding the more recessed areas.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Thanks! For the base I did a basecoat of leadbelcher, then all over that with typhus corrosion, drybrushed that heavily with ryza rust, then a final drybrush with leadbelcher avoiding the more recessed areas.

Thanks - definitely going to try that.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

NTRabbit posted:

It also dries so fast it clogs my airbrush mid spray, I don't use it anymore.

Yeah, that too.

I've heard good things about Badger's Stynylrez primers, and actually have a bottle of their white, but haven't tried it yet.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Finished minis #3 and 4!

#3: Pirate from Reaper Bones Layer Up! Kit

#4: Brute from Gloomhaven (also my first model painted without an instruction book)

Very happy with how the pirate came out. Although I couldn't get the red ribbon right, I'm very happy with the shading on the pants and jacket. I also think I'm improving on faces.

Overall I'm happy with the brute but I definitely stumbled a lot without an instruction booklet telling me exactly how to mix my paints. It was probably a little ambitious to try free handing a leopard-ish pelt for his cape but I'm pretty happy with how it came out and I think it distinguishes this paint job from most of the others I've seen. It was also ambitious to do the inked metallic armor thing, which didn't come out as smoothly as I would have hoped but was a good learning experience. I also learned about the dangers of over-applying washes on this one, especially on the sword and around the skulls on the knees. Next time I'll be more careful with that. All in all, it looks pretty cool and thanks to some reading on color theory, I will go into the next model with more of a game plan and a better sense for how to mix shadow and highlight tones.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Stephenls posted:

There’s five Vallejo primers worth mentioning along the spectrum from black to white.

Black primer is black.

German Panzer Grey primer is very, very close to black but not actually there, and at this point seems to me like the ideal dark primer if you’re not priming in prep for actual like black armor or something.

UMS Ghost Grey is closest to what you would expect from a grey primer, being about halfway between their black and white primers. It’s also slightly cool—that is, it has a moderate blue tint.

Grey, which you would expect to be close to halfway between black and white, is very light, but has good coverage.

Their white primer is both white and covers like poo poo unless you shake it really well and use it unthinned.

I’ve found the best zenithal priming solution is German Panzer Grey -> UMS Ghost Grey -> (almost unthinned) White. If you’re not doing fancy bullshit and want a light color that covers well, just their regular grey would probably be ideal.

I didn't even know you could thin that stuff. Should I be thinning it if I'm brushing it on?

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Hixson posted:

Also; painting questions. I'm trying to achieve a washed out desaturated red color. This is my first attempt:

As you can see, he now has beautiful pink pants. My approach was to take a red and add a grey for my base. Then add grey and black for highlights or shade respectively.

My questions is: How do you effectively de-saturated a color? I tried just adding a complimentary color and the base looks nice; but adding a white or grey seems to make it pink again :shrug:

Avoiding the dreaded pink with red is always tricky. I've not tried it personally, but I think you could go one of two ways

1. Instead of a 'pure' grey, try using an off-grey instead to lighten the red. Either blue-grey (VMC Wolf Grey) or a greenish grey (VMC Deck Tan). Try also adding in some Olive green to the mix if it's starting to look too pink.
2. Highlight your red normally without using greys, then glaze over the top with a grey mixed with a bit of red ink (GW Carroburg Crimson).

Also your city looks amazing.

MrFlibble posted:

GuardianofAsgard's already posted his recipe, but GW's "official" way of doing rust with watered down Skarred Brown is also really good and IMHO better than using Ryza Rust. The dichotomy is that rust tends to settle in the recesses, but Ryza Rust is very thick and is better drybrushed on.

Question for anyone who has a mobile painting setup - are the clip-on LED lamps you can get on Amazon or eBay any good for painting? I've been forced away from my regular work table and need something small to illuminate a lap desk.

Z the IVth fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Feb 7, 2018

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

The Moon Monster posted:

I didn't even know you could thin that stuff. Should I be thinning it if I'm brushing it on?

Sorry, I don’t have any experience brushing on Vallejo primer. When I airbrush it, I tend to thin it at a ratio of 3:1:1 primer / Vallejo airbrush flow improver / water. For brushing... maybe 3:1 primer/water?

I wouldn’t use anything marketed as thinner as such; that stuff tends to be alcohol-based and reduces drying time, which can interfere with anything in the mixture that’s put in to make it self-leveling, I believe.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

The Moon Monster posted:

You don't need to thin brush on primers.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I thin everything, even airbrush paints, but it depends on if you're using a brush or airbrush

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

If I'm running vallejo matt varnish through an airbrush should I be thinning it?

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Partial Octopus posted:

If I'm running vallejo matt varnish through an airbrush should I be thinning it?

I thin vallejo varnish both when applying by brush or airbrush. It can clog details otherwise.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

bonds0097 posted:

I thin vallejo varnish both when applying by brush or airbrush. It can clog details otherwise.

Unthinned Vallejo varnish might clog details, but it will definitely clog airbrushes.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I run unthinned Liquitex Matte Varnish through my airbrush. It hasn't really clogged details but it definitely stops up the airbrush. What would you guys thin it with?

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I run unthinned Liquitex Matte Varnish through my airbrush. It hasn't really clogged details but it definitely stops up the airbrush. What would you guys thin it with?

Is there any difference between matte varnish and matte medium? My bottle of liquitex matte medium that I've been using as a sealer says it can be mixed with 25% water.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Bucnasti posted:

Is there any difference between matte varnish and matte medium? My bottle of liquitex matte medium that I've been using as a sealer says it can be mixed with 25% water.

iirc Liquitex mediums are acrylic, whereas something like Dullcote is a lacquer. The medium can be used as a sealant, but it's quite a bit weaker - it's more meant to be mixed into paints.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I run Vallejo matte varnish through my airbrush unthinned and have never had any clogged details or clogged airbrushes lol.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Bucnasti posted:

Yeah, I should have said medium and not varnish.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
I 100% thin liquitex varnishes and medium/varnish combos. Otherwise they'd goop up my airbrush forever. I use water, but you probably should use a medium/water mix as they can bead up slightly or run too much with too much added water in my experience. Generally not the end of the world, but it makes you wait a while for the coat to dry instead of being able to immediately do a second coat.

Vallejo goes through unthinned fine, but I like to add a little extra water anyways.

NTRabbit posted:

It (vallejo primer) also dries so fast it clogs my airbrush mid spray, I don't use it anymore.

I pretty much always put a little water and a drop of slo-dry in my vallejo primers when I'm priming a lot of stuff at once. (Retarder medium. On principle, I should recommend you use vallejo's because it's a vallejo paint, but I use liquitex and it works ok. I have vallejo but it's in a drawer.) Helps that out a lot.

Cat Face Joe posted:

You could prime white and then spray a black wash to darken it.

This won't help your white primer excess really, but I always prime black, then go over with a zenithal white. Not really because I'm using the zenithal priming right, but because it makes lighter colors cover more easily and lets me see the details better, while still having the black in the crevices as a safety net.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I've never thinned liquitex varnish and it's never clogged my patriot fwiw

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Skarsnik posted:

I've never thinned liquitex varnish and it's never clogged my patriot fwiw

Same. I think that has more to do with the 105 being a workhorse of an airbrush than anything else, though.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Slimnoid posted:

Same. I think that has more to do with the 105 being a workhorse of an airbrush than anything else, though.

Yeah I'm using the Krome and for whatever reason I can only get the ultra-fine needle to work, so that's probably part of it.

Hopefully my 105 arrives soon.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Hixson posted:

This board is so loving cool and I wish I was playing on it instead of my kinda whatever Tablescapes board.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Zuul the Cat posted:

What type of tape do you guys recommend for masking off painted portions of vehicles for designs? Going to try to mask off my Hemlock & add black stripes with a rattlecan.

Not typically useful for masking off large areas, but a buddy of mine just got some Windsor Newton liquid mask, and says it works really well on his sisters. He used gloss metallics and said it didn't affect the paint at all when he removed it.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Slimnoid posted:

That's fair. I'm on an Iwata Eclipse.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Yeah I'm using the Krome and for whatever reason I can only get the ultra-fine needle to work, so that's probably part of it.

Hopefully my 105 arrives soon.

Stephenls posted:

That's fair. I'm on an Iwata Eclipse.

I absolutely recommend the 105 for any and all varnishing you're doing. Priming and basecoating too. It can't quite get to super-fine detail like some Krome or Iwata can, but it gets pretty close, and you really have to work to break the drat thing or even clog it. I've had mine jam maybe 4 times in the ~2 years I've owned it, and only had to strip-cleaned it twice. The Patriot is an absolute beast.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I got one through Badger's sale, it just hasn't arrived yet. I really love my Krome but I'm definitely not using it to its full potential.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

When people say clogged they mean no being able to clear like the tip of the airbrush and then go back to spraying. A clog would be to have to empty out the fill cup and run cleaner through before being able to do anything?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
I got my 105 to choke on some Vallejo white primer thinned with a bit of flow improver once. Hasn't happened before or since, all from the same bottle and same brush setup.

Airbrushes, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Stynelrez.

Come, join the light.