Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

general order 24

glass the planet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOANBAIBmV0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
TNG is great, way better than DS9

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

corn in the bible posted:

whoah whoah WHOAH lets not go saying poo poo we can't take back bud

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

TOS > DS9 > TNG > VOY > ENT

STD doesnt even rank

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

numberoneposter posted:

TOS > DS9 > TNG > Orville > VOY > ENT

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Is TOS really worth it? I love the movies, even III, but it just felt too dated and slow. Does it draw you in slowly or is it just, well, 1960s.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

barbecue at the folks posted:

Is TOS really worth it? I love the movies, even III, but it just felt too dated and slow. Does it draw you in slowly or is it just, well, 1960s.

It's hit or miss. The first two seasons are solid. The third season really went down hill. There are handful of decent episodes but the writing really sucked. "The Enterprise Incident" is really good but nothing else stands out worth watching.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
TOS is entertaining if you can appreciate camp and spectacle for it's own sake. If you're into serious Star Trek, then you easily do without.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

People who are old enough to have seen them way before TNG was broadcast take TOS more seriously than those who found other Star Trek series first.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

I don't see TAS on this list.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

Automatic Slim posted:

People who are old enough to have seen them way before TNG was broadcast take TOS more seriously than those who found other Star Trek series first.

I would have to agree with this and am in the latter category myself. It took a long time to warm up to TOS.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

mods ban this sick filth

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
DS9 is the only truly good trek. TNG is 100% nostalgia and TOS gets way too much credit for it's camp.

Voyager is better than TNG but still garbage.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I started with TNG and I still think TOS is amazing, it's like theater almost

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
I think the only real difference between VOY and TNG is that TNG would occasionally encounter actual interstellar phenomenon whereas VOY was fluidic space and coffee nebulas from start to finish.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Voyager has no excuse to be the way it was since it didn't start in 1987 and made no real effort to stretch itself like DS9 did in the 90s

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Odd that both VOY and BSG both had unsatisfying endings. BSG took the premise that VOY should've stuck with and ran with it only to fumble at the end. VOY fumbled its endings on a weekly basis.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Tricky D posted:

I think the only real difference between VOY and TNG is that TNG would occasionally encounter actual interstellar phenomenon whereas VOY was fluidic space and coffee nebulas from start to finish.

This is madness. TNG has worf and barclay, while voyager has harry and neelix

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
whneever ur reminiscing about star trek and the rose tinted glasses start to descend from the sky and u begin to think maybe voyager wasnt so bad, just remember: neelix.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

This is madness. TNG has worf and barclay, while voyager has harry and neelix

Voyager has barclay too. :sadface:

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Smythe posted:

whneever ur reminiscing about star trek and the rose tinted glasses start to descend from the sky and u begin to think maybe voyager wasnt so bad, just remember: neelix.
ummm Neelix ranks second place in best voyager main character according to the list

numberoneposter posted:

TOP TEN STAR TREK: VOYAGER MAIN CHARACTERS
1. TUVOK
2. NEELIX
3. THE DOCTOR
4. 7EVEN
5. JANEWAY
6. HARRY KIM
7. B'ELANNA TORRES
8. CHAKOTAY
9. KES
10. TOM PARIS

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
Tuvok isn't a character; he's a prop that gets dusted off for Neelix episodes.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
The one where he got stranded on that planet with tank girl was good

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

numberoneposter posted:

ummm Neelix ranks second place in best voyager main character according to the list

this list is wrong

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Smythe posted:

this list is wrong

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Tricky D posted:

Last night I saw Equinox for the first time since the original run and it's probably the most insane episode of Trek possible. Janeway works herself into such a sanctimonious rage over the other captain betraying the ideals of the federation, or whatever, that she nearly kills a junior officer in interrogation. We get it. Captain Ransom is hosed up for murdering the antimatter aliens, but she goes full Ahab after knowing the dude for a day. The most bizaarre part is that her beef is not necessarily that aliens are getting burned for fuel, but that Ransom betrayed the ideals of the federation. It's surreal.

I don't even remember the interrogation thing so I hit up amazon prime to check it out. The customer rating is 4.7 with 831 reviews. :ughh: (This is only for season 5 but they're all p much the same. In fact all of the treks are.)

There are 10 one star reviews, and FIVE of them have nothing to do with the actual show. (Technical probs, shipping issues, whatever.) Jesus loving christ.

(Seven two-star reviews and only two are technical probs.)

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

Hipster_Doofus posted:

I don't even remember the interrogation thing so I hit up amazon prime to check it out. The customer rating is 4.7 with 831 reviews. :ughh: (This is only for season 5 but they're all p much the same. In fact all of the treks are.)

There are 10 one star reviews, and FIVE of them have nothing to do with the actual show. (Technical probs, shipping issues, whatever.) Jesus loving christ.

(Seven two-star reviews and only two are technical probs.)

I left out the part where Chakotay rushes in a saves the dude at the last minute which pisses Janeway right off. Later, when shes laying it out how they are going to hunt those fuckers to the ends of the galaxy and Chakotay tells her that he'll go along with her plan, but he doesn't feel good about it. She immediately fires him as XO. He didn't threaten to mutiny (which would have been justified at that point IMO) or disobey orders, Chakotay just tried to tell her that what they are doing might be a little hosed up and that they should probably concentrate on going home instead. The Equinox was trying to get back to the federation too, so she could have just sent a be-on-the-lookout through subspace or whatever and let starfleet deal with him.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

barbecue at the folks posted:

The movies are slow primarily because they are single episodes at 30% speed.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Tricky D posted:

I left out the part where Chakotay rushes in a saves the dude at the last minute which pisses Janeway right off. Later, when shes laying it out how they are going to hunt those fuckers to the ends of the galaxy and Chakotay tells her that he'll go along with her plan, but he doesn't feel good about it. She immediately fires him as XO. He didn't threaten to mutiny (which would have been justified at that point IMO) or disobey orders, Chakotay just tried to tell her that what they are doing might be a little hosed up and that they should probably concentrate on going home instead. The Equinox was trying to get back to the federation too, so she could have just sent a be-on-the-lookout through subspace or whatever and let starfleet deal with him.

They've turned their backs on ~Federation Values~ so we must immediately do away with due process, the chain of command and any protections against torture and summary executions. Yeah, that's peak Janeway.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Ugh the (what I term) "Mental Health" Voyager episodes are the worst.

Oh no my brain is tormenting me and I can't trust my memories to construct reality! Again!

There seem to be more of them than the Miles Must Suffer episodes of DS9

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
hey remember that time be'lanna was depressed because all her friends back home got massacred and she solved her suicidal impulses by going on a dangerous mission and finally eating pancakes

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

Tighclops posted:

hey remember that time be'lanna was depressed because all her friends back home got massacred and she solved her suicidal impulses by going on a dangerous mission and finally eating pancakes

Chakotay was also really broken up about that as I recall. His performance on duty started to suffer and you could tell sometimes that he was just phoning of in.

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

Johnny Aztec posted:

Man, you know what was good Sci-Fi?

Red Dwarf. I should watch that again.

Actually, I never did get the 2nd half of the books, I should go buy those.
Red Dwarf, in it's prime, was so much better at doing Star Trek than Star Trek it was mindblowing. Patrick Stewart even came drat close to admitting this in an interview.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

papa_november posted:

Red Dwarf, in it's prime, was so much better at doing Star Trek than Star Trek it was mindblowing. Patrick Stewart even came drat close to admitting this in an interview.

Red Dwarf eps are self-contained enough to just watch at random, right? If so, could someone point me to a stellar (lol) example of this?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
for some reason i just cannot get into red dwarf, at all

and this coming from a guy who managed to sit through all four seasons of loving Blake's 7, at that

Johnny Aztec posted:

We're talking about the weird lumpy grey space bug type Klingons, right?

....I am okay with this.

they're space orcs. i challenge you to prove otherwise

Tighclops posted:

One could argue that things like Nemesis are worse because they took a steaming poo poo all over established characters that people already liked

I mean

I'm not sure I'd argue that at this point but one could

i seriously cannot agree with you, Nemesis is aggressively stupid at a level even beyond that of Discovery

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

for some reason i just cannot get into red dwarf, at all

and this coming from a guy who managed to sit through all four seasons of loving Blake's 7, at that

they're space orcs. i challenge you to prove otherwise

If they are space orcs, then they are lovely, boring , space orcs.
Where’s all the dakta? Where’s all the WAAUGH?!

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

These are glum dork orcs not grim dark orcs.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i seriously cannot agree with you, Nemesis is aggressively stupid at a level even beyond that of Discovery

Seriously, Tigh. Your raging, primal hate-on for disco is clouding your judgment.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

They are both in the same boat of lovely post-9/11 Trek that spends way too much time 'doing what is necessary'. While Nemesis just doesn't care, STD is schizophrenic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Tricky D posted:

Chakotay was also really broken up about that as I recall. His performance on duty started to suffer and you could tell sometimes that he was just phoning of in.

Art imitating life. The producers must have thought Beltran was going full method acting during that ep.