Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Despite all odds, even Solo may be a good movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

100 degrees Calcium posted:

Despite all odds, even Solo may be a good movie.

"Never tell me the odds (of my movie being good)."

--Han Solo

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

UmOk posted:

Every movie is a possibly good movie

The issue’s that fans approach the films with a complex pseudo-financial logic of investment and return. The idea is that, by purchasing Force Awakens tickets, you are not paying to enter a theatre but investing in the future of the franchise. TFA itself is therefore just an extended trailer for the eventual real film where Rey learns the shocking truth about her parents and battles Snoke to the death in epic combat and it’s the best film ever made. Essentially Kickstarter.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The issue’s that fans approach the films with a complex pseudo-financial logic of investment and return. The idea is that, by purchasing Force Awakens tickets, you are not paying to enter a theatre but investing in the future of the franchise. TFA itself is therefore just an extended trailer for the eventual real film where Rey learns the shocking truth about her parents and battles Snoke to the death in epic combat and it’s the best film ever made. Essentially Kickstarter.

I see it as more "voting with your dollar". The same way you purchase products in a grocery store that you would like to see more of. In a capitalist society, the way you signal your approval for, and ask for more like something, is by putting your money towards that thing. (I'm sorry about the tortured structure of that sentence.)

I don't use my money to see a movie for the first time to say I want more like that, because I haven't seen it yet and I don't know if I want any more like that yet. But I can see seeing a movie for a second or third time to try and say, "Yes, more like this please." In reality, it won't make a difference, but you can feel like you're signalling your approval.

That being said, the person who said earlier, "If you want to see a Lando movie, pay to see Solo" is being silly. No way to know that, and we're really unlikely to ever get a Lando movie, unless his performance gets a massive amount of buzz. And even then it's rather unlikely. Solo being some massive success would only guarantee a Solo sequel.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

This is precisely my issue with TFA and franchise film making in general. TFA puts in burning questions meant to justify returning to the series two more times, or buy some supporting books, or whatever. These things add nothing to the film itself and just put the onus of payoff to future film.

Having Rey be "nobody" was a cool move for TLJ, but it really put the lie to TFA. When I rewatched that movie last month I was just absolutely annoyed by how much of the film was all BUT WHAT ABOUT LUKE SKYWALKER and WHO ARE REY'S PARENTS? These are good questions if you intend to answer them in the movie, SINCE THAT'S WHAT YOU MADE THE MOVIE ABOUT, but they are just continuity bait as-is.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

UmOk posted:

Every movie is a possibly good movie

Counterpoint: The Emoji Movie.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

thrawn527 posted:

I see it as more "voting with your dollar". The same way you purchase products in a grocery store that you would like to see more of. In a capitalist society, the way you signal your approval for, and ask for more like something, is by putting your money towards that thing. (I'm sorry about the tortured structure of that sentence.)

Presumably you purchase products in a grocery store because you need food to live.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Presumably you purchase products in a grocery store because you need food to live.

Sure, but which products?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

thrawn527 posted:

Sure, but which products?

Is the analogy about particular ingredients, or is it about brand loyalty?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Is the analogy about particular ingredients, or is it about brand loyalty?

It can be about anything you like. Consistent higher quality, even if it's more expensive. "Ethical" company policies, if that matters to you.

Like how I won't see a Roman Polanski movie, because he's a child raping piece of poo poo, and I'd rather not add to the box office receipts of his movies.

Voting with your dollar in a capitalist society is not a new concept.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

That being said, the person who said earlier, "If you want to see a Lando movie, pay to see Solo" is being silly. No way to know that, and we're really unlikely to ever get a Lando movie, unless his performance gets a massive amount of buzz. And even then it's rather unlikely. Solo being some massive success would only guarantee a Solo sequel.

That was me who said it, and I was indeed being silly. This is a dead gay comedy forum afterall.

Buuut based on his early hype, if there was a sequel to Solo, what do you think it could be or have more of in it? My wild guess is LANDO: A CALRISSIAN STORY.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 209 days!

Kickstarter is also what I thought of, but that may be giving the logic at work too much credit. Kickstarter itself is a relatively benign expression of an ethos fundamentally based on the logic of venture capital, and that seems to be what informs the idea that seeing one film in a franchise is an "investment" in future films in the franchise. In contrast, at least with Kickstarter there are formal obligations on the part of the producer, and the consumer is invited to directly provide the capital needed to produce a product which meets those obligations. This actually replaces many of the exploitative mechanisms of capitalism, although to whether the end result is superior I couldn't say. This is more like fans role-playing as venture capitalists with actual power over the producers when they are in fact just consumers who are owed nothing but one viewing of Solo: A Star Wars Story in exchange for their money.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Feb 8, 2018

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
There is no such thing as ethical consumption under capitalism. "Voting with your dollar" is a futile and ethically impotent concept. Acting like going to the theater to see the next Roman Polanski film (which will probably be very good) will have any tangible effect on the intractable primal forces of corruption keeping him out of prison is just the silliest thing. The questions of whether he should be in jail and whether the films he creates have value are completely separate. The only real justice will come when we live in a world where Roman Polanski can get sent to prison despite continuing to be an incredibly profitable director, so it doesn't really matter.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Polanski should be jailed but also allowed to still make films

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

sponges posted:

Polanski should be jailed but also allowed to still make films

Maybe he could collaborate with C-Murder.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Wheat Loaf posted:

Maybe he could collaborate with C-Murder.

C Murder is presently leading a hunger strike, which is going a bit further than Polanski has lately.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Cnut the Great posted:

There is no such thing as ethical consumption under capitalism. "Voting with your dollar" is a futile and ethically impotent concept. Acting like going to the theater to see the next Roman Polanski film (which will probably be very good) will have any tangible effect on the intractable primal forces of corruption keeping him out of prison is just the silliest thing. The questions of whether he should be in jail and whether the films he creates have value are completely separate. The only real justice will come when we live in a world where Roman Polanski can get sent to prison despite continuing to be an incredibly profitable director, so it doesn't really matter.

Oh yeah then what about seeing Black Panther? Checkmate.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Oh God, is seeing Black Panther woke now?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cnut the Great posted:

Hey you're not Sonic, you're a fake hedgehog!

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Cnut the Great posted:

This is basically where I stand, but put more articulately than I can be bothered to.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Me too, except capitalism is good.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
So, when Poe is taken aboard the First Order Star Destroyer in TFA, there's a lot of attention paid to his face and the open surprise and shock all over it.

Seeing TFA, it feels like Poe is thinking 'Where the gently caress did these guys get this amount of hardware?'

But that just kind of fades away entirely when he's talking about 'fleet killers' in the next film.

Kind of like how everyone in TFA acts like they know more about Rey than they're letting on to the audience, the ST seems to actively want you to not pay attention to the visuals.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

thrawn527 posted:

Voting with your dollar in a capitalist society is not a new concept.

yes, it's been used to sublimate real politics, squander mass energy and tut-tut social movements for nearly a century!

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Cnut the Great posted:

"Nothing matters so you may as well just send all your money to Rupert Murdoch and the Koch brothers" - someone who doesn't understand ethics and voting, probably

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

UmOk posted:

"Nothing matters so you may as well just send all your money to Rupert Murdoch and the Koch brothers" - someone who doesn't understand ethics and voting, probably

And if there's no God, you may as well just go around stealing and murdering. Unless you believe there's a just force connecting you to a higher power who hears your petitions, there's no reason to be good.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

UmOk posted:

oh now you're gonna say voting matters, i bet

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Porgs

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

K. Waste posted:

And if there's no God, you may as well just go around stealing and murdering. Unless you believe there's a just force connecting you to a higher power who hears your petitions, there's no reason to be good.

Why would the existence of God keep you from stealing and murdering?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

UmOk posted:

The entire personal assets of any poster here, if liquidated for their highest market value and sent directly to News Corp., would be completely insignificant to their bottom line, and the sort of totemic fetishism of atomized consumer power we see in modern american culture is at best a fantasy of overcoming that inequality by becoming captain planet and at worst a marketing ploy.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

I Before E posted:

The entire personal assets of any poster here, if liquidated for their highest market value and sent directly to News Corp., would be completely insignificant to their bottom line, and the sort of totemic fetishism of atomized consumer power we see in modern american culture is at best a fantasy of overcoming that inequality by becoming captain planet and at worst a marketing ploy.

Speak for yourself...

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

I Before E posted:

You're entire single vote will be completely insignificant to the outcome of an election in your city/county/district/province/state/nation. It's at best a fetish power captain-atom or some poo poo.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Shut up about things that are futile that aren't falsely thinking the prequels are bad.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 209 days!

porfiria posted:

Speak for yourself...

Since you're a billionaire, care to send me a few million? Help a fellow goon out and all that?

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

UmOk posted:

You're entire single vote will be completely insignificant to the outcome of an election in your city/county/district/province/state/nation. It's at best a fetish power captain-atom or some poo poo.

this but unironically

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEcjgJSqSRU

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Bongo Bill posted:

Shut up about things that are futile that aren't falsely thinking the prequels are bad.

Good o'l Bongo Bill letting us know in a complete non-sequitur that the Star Wars prequel are actually good.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

This is all going to end with some kissing Jar Jar's 17 dicks.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
those loving dice are such a hamfisted symbol it makes me really mad

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Freakazoid_ posted:

those loving dice are such a hamfisted symbol it makes me really mad

Right? Like, I've been watching lo-fi Star Wars for most of my life, I never even noticed they were there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

UmOk posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=db-9ODrXjRA