Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is Trigger's best previous anime
Kill La Kill
When Supernatural Battles become commenplace
Kiznaiver
Little Witch Academia
Gurren Lagann*
Panty and Stocking*
Space Patrol Luluculo
Goku
View Results

• Locked thread
Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Caphi posted:

Pretty sure they meant Urobuchi, his name was put on the project for profile and from what I remember of the time it worked even though he wasn't the main writer.

oh lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

'kill 'em all' urobuchi

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Endorph posted:

'kill 'em all' urobuchi

:shrug: I just call 'em like I see 'em.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Kill all urobuchis before he kills all em magical girls

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

It certainly kills my interest to see his name on a show hahaha

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
You gotta admit though, Thunderbolt fantasy was great and easily my favorite show of 2016.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
If Tomino worked on FranXX then as a successor of King Gainer all the robots will be powered by the combined relationship power of a husband, a wife and a third husband or wife

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Eej posted:

If Tomino worked on FranXX then as a successor of King Gainer all the robots will be powered by the combined relationship power of a husband, a wife and a third husband or wife

If Franxx was a successor to anything by Tomino it would be Brain Powerd.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
It's not about how many the Urobutcher kills, it's how he kills them.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Eej posted:

thats rinne no lagrange

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Endorph posted:

thats rinne no lagrange

Was this show any good. I dropped it around the time the fat chick who always goes ^_^ popped up because she was terrible

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Eej posted:

Overman King Gainer was an amazing example of dodging a love triangle in favor of mature relationships between reasonable people.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Endorph posted:

thats rinne no lagrange

that's Star Driver

PS if you like this show's robots and VERY SUBTLE relationship subtext you might like Star Driver

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

skasion posted:

Was this show any good. I dropped it around the time the fat chick who always goes ^_^ popped up because she was terrible
rinne no lagrange had some good things and also some bad things. its enduring cultural legacy is this:

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Between that and quote the fat chick unquote it already looks better than Franxx

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Are any robots suplexed in Franxx?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Not yet.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Eela6 posted:

that's Star Driver
that's Aquarion

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

The actual director is a guy named Atsushi Nishigori, who worked on a bunch of stuff, including Gurenn Lagann and Diebuster. The only things he's been the overall director for are the Idolmaster TV show and movie.

Nishigori shares writing credit for Darling in the Franxx with Naotaka Hayashi. It looks like the main thing Hayashi did before this was Plastic Memories

Neither of them worked on Aldnoah Zero or Sword Art Online

Hayashi' also did a bunch of games and visual novels, including Steins;Gate. Looking over the list, and assuming that this is in line with his past stuff (possible, but not guaranteed, people like to change things up and all) lack of ambition is not likely to be its defining flaw.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The first season of Lagrange was decent, the second sucked

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Endorph posted:

furthermore there's no gay cabal that decides whether or not a gay character is good or bad,

poo poo, did we not send you your invitation? I'm sorry Endorph, that's my bad. :blush: I'll put it on the Gay Agenda for next month.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 206 days!

chibisoma posted:

Well, Gunnerkrigg Court's decided to sink ships and hook Annie up with Jack, it seems. Interest completely hit rock bottom. Thanks, Tom!
Oh good, generic straight romance #2,405,120. Yawn. No Kat/Annie End, no reading. Jack's the least interesting male since Chiba Mamoru.
And to Tom: gently caress you for not taking a god drat chance, you cowardly loving bitch. "Nope. Everyone has to be straight!" gently caress you.
Remember the lesson GCC teaches us: Be straight, otherwise your peers won't like you. #GunnerkriggCourt #fuckingasshole #badendconfirmed
Now I definitely need to get to work on writing a guide because otherwise the urge to strange that cowardly little prick won't go away.
Yeah, can't do it. Hey @gunnerkrigg - good job sinking ships and ruining the comic, you weak god drat writer.
@gunnerkrigg Can't have the main characters be bi/gay, right? That's for the two designated 'weirdo' characters, huh? gently caress you, you prick.
@gunnerkrigg No, really, it's nice of you to have a 'please stop reading now' arc. Real considerate of you.
@gunnerkrigg - proving that making a bi/gay character the lead isn't worth the trouble. You're really breakin' down barriers there, Tom.
Hey kids: If you're gay, you should be off where you can't be seen. You must be straight. Remember the lessons that @gunnerkrigg taught us.
loving makes me sick. Great, one more generic straight romance with a bland male lead. Good job @gunnerkrigg you loving coward.
Need to go watch @GeorgeTakei say/do things to calm down. Stupid anti-gay bullshit ruining my morning. Off to Youtube I go...

To be more directly on topic, this show seems to be about a society which is so deeply repressive and at the same time demanding of teen sexuality that it has some big hoops to jump through before it can get to the idea of non-hetero robot sex. At the same time, it would be disappointing even on a thematic level if it didn't explore that territory, since it is a natural and relevant extension of the ideas it seems to be raising. Simply finding the "correct" heterosexual match to pilot a Franxx correctly would ultimately not be very subversive of the oppressive society the characters live in. For that matter, just finding a way to kill Klaxosaurs really good, even through gloriously gay robot sex, would be an outcome which just enables a way of life which has obviously hosed up the Earth almost beyond human habitability, and would ultimately be even more disappointing, since in reality we can't have a full range of gay, straight, and even not sex if we don't have an inhabitable environment. Ultimately, if the show's message is "gay sex redeems and ennobles wholesale environmental destruction" that would actually be hosed up in a way no one even seems to be considering. It would be different than "heterosexual reproduction redeems and ennobles wholesale environmental destruction" only in that homosexual desire would be subordinated and exploited for the ends of capital and the state.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I'm really interested in some world building because a society so devoted to survival at all costs that it will raise child soldiers from birth and discard them if they don't meet arbitrary statistical standards doesn't strike me as a society that would shy away from homosexual relationships if it meant that their giant robots would function more efficiently. Like the tiny picture we've gotten of Papa and the council and their focus on efficiency and numbers doesn't mesh with one of them going "we must have more machines for the front lines, but absolutely no butt stuff".

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Maybe butt stuff is what brought the klaxosaurs forth from the deep and the geothermal energy stuff is a red herring

Willias
Sep 3, 2008
DARLING in the FRANXX - A Believing Heart is your Gay Sex Robot

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

alright, bro, grab my rear end and thrust your piloting essence into me. but dont be gay about it.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
No one (aside from the goons who will immediately say they are) is asking for the show to go full on gay power hour, just that it is concerning for a modern show trying to talk about relationships it has a gaping blind spot. That's kinda normal for most media really but the fact that the setting goes out of its way to create a situation (male-female pairings are enforced by society but also by science) that effectively removes any consideration of non-hetero rights relationships both undercuts any goal it had about having an honest talk about teen relationships and also raises questions about the authoral intent.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Endorph posted:

alright, bro, grab my rear end and thrust your piloting essence into me. but dont be gay about it.

just bros being co's

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Endorph posted:

any time. what are friends for?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 206 days!

Endorph posted:

Jesus is my co-pilot :gay:

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Hodgepodge posted:

Jesus is my co-pilot :gay:

jesus take the wheel grab the handles

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Eej posted:

No one (aside from the goons who will immediately say they are) is asking for the show to go full on gay power hour, just that it is concerning for a modern show trying to talk about relationships it has a gaping blind spot. That's kinda normal for most media really but the fact that the setting goes out of its way to create a situation (male-female pairings are enforced by society but also by science) that effectively removes any consideration of non-hetero rights relationships both undercuts any goal it had about having an honest talk about teen relationships and also raises questions about the authoral intent.

Is it trying to have an honest talk about teen relationships though? I'm not saying 'turn your brain off' but it feels like people are reading deeper into some meaning of the show than intended, at least so far.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Eej posted:

We're still only four episodes in, dude.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

skasion posted:

Maybe butt stuff is what brought the klaxosaurs forth from the deep and the geothermal energy stuff is a red herring

I thought they were just anthropomorphized buck wild crazy sex in general and that's why society hates them. Eh, still works. Balls to the wall, world ending gay sex the likes that Satan would blush to.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Crabtree posted:

I thought they were just anthropomorphized buck wild crazy sex in general and that's why society hates them. Eh, still works. Balls to the wall, world ending gay sex the likes that Satan would blush to.

The Devilman Crybaby thread is that way
-------->

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Crabtree posted:

I'm pretty sure the magma dinosaurs are just Balrogs and human it just dug too deep and too greedily.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Is it trying to have an honest talk about teen relationships though? I'm not saying 'turn your brain off' but it feels like people are reading deeper into some meaning of the show than intended, at least so far.

I think so? I mean, the show is not exactly subtle about it's themes. If it didn't have anything to say about relationships and sex, why make relationships and sex so central and unavoidable? It would be disappointing to me if the sex stuff was purely superficial style.

Further, the show is deliverately aping Evangelion. It's basically planting a big flag saying "This anime is going to explore Issues"

Eela6 fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Feb 9, 2018

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Brought To You By posted:

I'm pretty sure the magma dinosaurs are just Balrogs and human it just dug too deep and too greedily.

But its a show about sex puns and metaphors too? Like I dunno, the one creature that can survive this hellscape outside of their dumb enclosures that the society needs to kill with matrimony and papa approved pairings. That is part of 002s make up who is a dangerous, sexually aggressive girl. But then again maybe I'm high and channeling Eureka Seven for some reason.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Eela6 posted:

I think so? I mean, the show is not exactly subtle about it's themes. If it didn't have anything to say about relationships and sex, why make relationships and sex so central and unavoidable? It would be disappointing to me if the sex stuff was purely superficial style.

Further, the show is deliverately aping Evangelion. It's basically planting a big flag saying "This anime is going to explore Issues"

While this is also fine and good, it's also worth pointing out Eva deliberately chose to portray things a certain way just because it looked cool.

Personally, I've yet to see anything that convinces me the show is gonna get any deeper, but I'll be cool with it surprising me down the line.:shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Shinjobi posted:

While this is also fine and good, it's also worth pointing out Eva deliberately chose to portray things a certain way just because it looked cool.

Personally, I've yet to see anything that convinces me the show is gonna get any deeper, but I'll be cool with it surprising me down the line.:shrug:

Oh, it's going to go way deeper :forkbomb: :getin:

• Locked thread