Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
I get where you're coming from, most definitely (I had to rewatch the rap scenes a second time, because the first time through weren't translated) and you're right that what you say is definitely an undertone for the show. When I thought about how the show was presenting it, I could see reflections between Ryo and Miki K, as a sort of one sided romantic affection. To me it was pretty obvious that Akira was not necessarily into Ryo like that, and the two Miki's felt like a similar thing, to the point where while I could get the whole Miki K coming out thing narratively, Miki M was presented as far too sexless and angelic for me to get that from them in that moment. From a character like Miki M it felt almost out of place.

I think I mentioned it in my overview before that I had issues with Miki's characterization and that the relations of the track team weren't gone into with enough depth. If there had been just one scene where Miki M goes to reassure or encourage Miki K and there's some form of signifier and confrontaion, even minor, that there could be something there, like there were multiple time with Ryo and Akira, it would have been easier for me to see. As it was, there was only the love/hate coin thing upon Miki K's confession.

I guess most of my complaints basically come down to a narrative angle in how these things were presented to the audience.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Feb 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah. I'm not saying you can't criticize the execution. It's not the greatest love story ever told, I don't even like the relationship that much. There's just a difference between saying their relationship didn't come across very naturally and saying their relationship wasn't obviously romantic. The complaints you just listed are all totally valid and I agree with a lot of them.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Miki wanted to gently caress that spider and she is valid

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Expect My Mom posted:

hell, what red blooded woman HASNT wanted to gently caress a spider

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Kokoro Wish posted:

To me it was pretty obvious that Akira was not necessarily into Ryo like that, and the two Miki's felt like a similar thing, to the point where while I could get the whole Miki K coming out thing narratively, Miki M was presented as far too sexless and angelic for me to get that from them in that moment. From a character like Miki M it felt almost out of place.

The main thing I took away from their exchange was that Miki knew that Miko hated her, and it was really devastating for her to hear Miko spell it out so explicitly. For me, at least, this reframes all of Miki's "sexless" behaviour into being really withdrawn. She is terrified of being rejected, and that's why her feelings only become apparent in that final scene.

Calvin Coolposts
Jun 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

RottenK posted:

instead of yet another willfully dense motherfucker lets talk about Devilman Saga

i heard it's supposed to a third part of the main story, following after Devilman Lady, and that it's set in the future? i think it's still ongoing, even

has anyone here read it and is it any good?

It is still ongoing as far as I know, but only the first volume is translated out there on the internet. I haven't read it yet cause I'm saving it for when I finish reading lady (which hoo boy that's a trip right there) but it looks interesting and I hope somebody gets to translating it soon.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
neat i didn't know there was another devilman series running. is it another cycle?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Can we have a version of Devilman where Miki and Miko mash spider clams just to kill this cycle

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Expect My Mom posted:

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I read the first volume of Devilman Grimoire and I really like it. It's very different so far (no Ryo, what the heck) but I like the witch stuff, Miki, and it's super gorey. Recommended!

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Alan_Shore posted:

I read the first volume of Devilman Grimoire and I really like it. It's very different so far (no Ryo, what the heck) but I like the witch stuff, Miki, and it's super gorey. Recommended!

There is Asuka Himura the punk who is friends with Miko who resembles Ryo.

There also is a villain named Ryo at the end of the series, but it's Zenon's human form not Satan and he looks diffrent.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Feb 9, 2018

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Endorph posted:

:yeah:

Optimal world Miki would be the cleaver-toting Go Nagai World one but she’s gay and fucks a spider tbh

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Endorph posted:

Is this the suspension bridge effect I've heard about

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Crabtree posted:

We are never going to escape this time loop.

it's god's punishment

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

tithin posted:

Can we have a version of Devilman where Miki and Miko mash spider clams just to kill this cycle

I feel like that's the natural outcome, if Ryo finally picks up the baton: everybody gets to gently caress and be happy.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Ryo will finally win when he realizes he just needs to get everyone together in a room banging each others brains out in a mass orgy.

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014

Relin posted:

neat i didn't know there was another devilman series running. is it another cycle?

Devilman Saga takes place in the far off future of 2025, but this time demons take the form of techno-organic armor that take people over. First volume meanders for far too long reintroducing all the important characters in this new setting, and it ends on the Silene armor finally possessing someone. Protagonist has not become Devilman, nor even found the Amon armor yet.

I went on a huge Devilman manga binge after watching Crybaby. Lots of mediocre to okay stories. Amon - Darkside of Devilman was pretty good. Violence Jack took some getting used to, but Shin Violence Jack was a massive acid trip. I still can't parse what the ending was supposed to mean.

Shin Devilman - Ryo and Akira's totally bogus journey through time is a total waste of time.

Neo Devilman - Anthology series with some stories written by Go Nagai. Decent, but uneven with so many different writing styles.

Devilman Vs Getter Robo - Throwaway fluff.

Devilman vs Hades was something I really liked, but it got cancelled after I felt it got good.

Saving Devilman Lady for last.

AtheistMantis fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Feb 9, 2018

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Terper posted:

Is this the suspension bridge effect I've heard about

no its the giant strong monster women are hot effect

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

AtheistMantis posted:

Devilman Saga takes place in the far off future of 2025, but this time demons take the form of techno-organic armor that take people over. First volume meanders for far too long reintroducing all the important characters in this new setting, and it ends on the Silene armor finally possessing someone. Protagonist has not become Devilman, nor even found the Amon armor yet.

I went on a huge Devilman manga binge after watching Crybaby. Lots of mediocre to okay stories. Amon - Darkside of Devilman was pretty good. Violence Jack took some getting used to, but Shin Violence Jack was a massive acid trip. I still can't parse what the ending was supposed to mean.

Shin Devilman - Ryo and Akira's totally bogus journey through time is a total waste of time.

Neo Devilman - Anthology series with some stories written by Go Nagai. Decent, but uneven with so many different writing styles.

Devilman Vs Getter Robo - Throwaway fluff.

Devilman vs Hades was something I really liked, but it got cancelled after I felt it got good.

Saving Devilman Lady for last.

Here's a suggestiong for devilman lady: don't.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Go for Devilman Grimoire instead.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
My Devilman Lady suggestion is to read it and judge for yourself, if you want to

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Nina posted:

:yeah:

Optimal world Miki would be the cleaver-toting Go Nagai World one but she’s gay and fucks a spider tbh

Still loving how she decapitated Jinmen immediately.

Go Nagai World was very good.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Kokoro Wish posted:

I tell my close friends I love them all the time. Doesn't mean I want to have a romantic relationship with all of them. There's alot of different types of love.

It’s kind of patronizing to tout multiple types of love as some revelation. Like drat, that’s a realization that young children have, you really think anyone responding to you wouldn’t know that?

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Honest bias disclaimer: I distinctly remember watching this scene for the first time and while looking at the action I just heard the words and self-translated and did not read the subtitles. I only went back to it because of the thread.

This is the scene and dialogue that makes the translation argument. Miki actually just says "Me too!", which imo is ambiguous enough combined with her earlier response to the previous Miko "I love you" to interpret her as wanting to be friends but rejecting the romantic confession.

As a reminder, in the other case her response was "I know. I thought you were cool back then, and I like you". Miko love count: 2, Miki love count: 0. Given the context of impending apocalypse I'm sure this is about as polite of a confession rejection as you can get.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
The real spider was koda who ate his lover while loving him

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

AnacondaHL posted:

Honest bias disclaimer: I distinctly remember watching this scene for the first time and while looking at the action I just heard the words and self-translated and did not read the subtitles. I only went back to it because of the thread.

This is the scene and dialogue that makes the translation argument. Miki actually just says "Me too!", which imo is ambiguous enough combined with her earlier response to the previous Miko "I love you" to interpret her as wanting to be friends but rejecting the romantic confession.

As a reminder, in the other case her response was "I know. I thought you were cool back then, and I like you". Miko love count: 2, Miki love count: 0. Given the context of impending apocalypse I'm sure this is about as polite of a confession rejection as you can get.
The Japanese language is extremely context heavy, things will often not be repeated if they were already said as it assumes everyone in the conversation so far knows what's going happen.

Saying "Watashi mo" to "Atashi daisuki" in a big, climatic, tense, emotional moment isn't that vauge imo, especially when right after they do a mirror exercise of "I love running!" "I love it too!", unless you want to say that Miki M doesn't reciprocate her intense feelings for running too

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Expect My Mom posted:

The Japanese language is extremely context heavy, things will often not be repeated if they were already said as it assumes everyone in the conversation so far knows what's going happen.

Saying "Watashi mo" to "Atashi daisuki" in a big, climatic, tense, emotional moment isn't that vauge imo, especially when right after they do a mirror exercise of "I love running!" "I love it too!", unless you want to say that Miki M doesn't reciprocate her intense feelings for running too

Weird to throw in this straw man while simultaneously noting that context matters. Idle chatter about running is not contextually relevant to the romantic confession during the apocalypse.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I would say it's very relevant, as it's the next line of dialogue after they say I love and leads into the Passing the Baton metaphor and both of them dying, not thirty seconds after the confession

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Expect My Mom posted:

I would say it's very relevant, as it's the next line of dialogue after they say I love and leads into the Passing the Baton metaphor and both of them dying, not thirty seconds after the confession

oook. Then the answer is yes. There is a difference in meaning between saying "Me too!" in response to loving running, and "Me too!" when riding on the back of the spider friend that just confessed romantic feelings for you and is attempting to save your life.

...this difference exists in English too...

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I feel like that devalues what Running means to the two. Something they've done since childhood, Miko saying that she was always running after Miki. It's not just saying I like running as a hobby! It's them acknowleging how much this shared activity meant to each other, how they've overcome the gap in their relationship and are running again, right when they need to the most. Nothing kept them apart, no matter all that's changed, they are still here running together. Miko's last words before she's shot and the two are physically separated forever and killed is "I'm glad we ran."

In this scene, saying they loved running is the same as saying I love you when riding on the back of the spider friend that just confessed romantic feelings for you and is attempting to save your life.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Fair enough, I do devalue the running metaphors, so I can see that as a point for the Miki loves Miko back stance.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yeah I feel the running metaphor isn't as fleshed out as it could be despite it being reoccurring, it isn't like they make it and drop it, but still

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

When Princess Leia tells Han Solo "I love you", he responds, "I know." Is Han Solo gay?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

100 degrees Calcium posted:

When Princess Leia tells Han Solo "I love you", he responds, "I know." Is Han Solo gay?
all im saying is theres no way han didnt gently caress chewie just to see what it was like

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

months long space flights with only a wookie for companionship and the only guy you see when you touch the ground being jabba, hell, id gently caress the wookie too

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

*c3po voice* let the wookie gently caress

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Endorph posted:

all im saying is theres no way han didnt gently caress chewie just to see what it was like

This life debt is getting worse the more I hear about it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znJrD9xt_og

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Expect My Mom posted:

Yeah I feel the running metaphor isn't as fleshed out as it could be despite it being reoccurring, it isn't like they make it and drop it, but still

Passing the baton is basically a metaphor for saving the world in the finale, so I think you've hit the nail on the head. These people love running in a way we normal people can't fathom.

It's like Vin Diesel's love for cars in The Fast and the Furious. He doesn't love cars like a normal person, not even like a big car nerd. There is some intense "I can't live without cars"-type situation going on there.

100 degrees Calcium posted:

Let's not forget that Han Solo is a real piece of poo poo. His love confession sucks.

edit: Also, obviously he hosed the Wookie.

That soundtrack could make anything sound badass. :allears:

And More fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Feb 9, 2018

• Locked thread