Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Crackbone posted:

A Super NT + a decent TV on game mode would make input lag 1, maybe 2 frames at most. And seriously :laffo: at people who claim they can tell at that level. If you're not a Cave maniac or a pro fighting game player, you're fine.

It's a lot easier to find input lag info nowadays, especially if you just google model # + input lag. Literal first result when I googled "TCL series 5 input lag"

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/inputs/input-lag

i'm literally a world record high score player so

you know

yeah

ew I didn't wanna start a new page with this poo poo, sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Still annoyed that no one's done us the favor of like, an FPGA 2600/7800 that finally puts out a nice clear signal. :colbert:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

fishmech posted:

Still annoyed that no one's done us the favor of like, an FPGA 2600/7800 that finally puts out a nice clear signal. :colbert:

Kevtris made 2600 and 7800 cores for the Nt Mini:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/242970-fpga-based-videogame-system

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Are OLED TVs still complete poo poo at response time with retro games?

Kind of amusing considering the zero motion blur is a big reason I want one (I've literally never purchased an LCD TV. Only plasmas :spergin:)

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

It's a Predicta. They're vintage TVs from the 40's-60's. A company bought the name and now re-makes them with modern electronics and you can order them with S-Video and component and poo poo now. The guy on Reddit said he paid around $2500 for his.

I want it, but I sure don't $2000 want it.

Looks cool as hell though.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I really want a 1080P flat OLED as my main modern TV (for watching movies and stuff). I don't plan on going 4K anytime soon, and don't want everything to be upscaled. Unfortunately all the 1080P OLEDs I see are those insanely stupid curved ones. Is there any flat 1080P OLED at a decent size?

e: am I the only one who thinks those vintage CRTs on stalks are silly looking? it comes off as really affected to have one of those things surrounded by a bunch of consoles in an otherwise normal looking room. would probably be cooler if you were rich and had like a 1950's themed room or whatever with the consoles out of sight

d0s fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Feb 9, 2018

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Can't chuck the cartridges into that or put in my paddles or any of my other odd controllers needed for some games.

d0s posted:

e: am I the only one who thinks those vintage CRTs on stalks are silly looking? it comes off as really affected to have one of those things surrounded by a bunch of consoles in an otherwise normal looking room. would probably be cooler if you were rich and had like a 1950's themed room or whatever with the consoles out of sight

They are very silly, but that's kind of the point of them.

That said it's be better to have a Predicta Tandem which ran very high voltage and high current electricity all the way across your room from the base to the place you'd put the separate picture tube. That way you could adjust the channels and volume while on the couch!

See that huge chunky cable? That's what's carrying a huge amount of power over to the CRT under your living room carpet or something. Better not break the shielding by accident or spill something!

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Anyway, I did pick up a few more games today. I got Gauntlet for the NES. Actually really fun. It even had a manual.

Also picked up a game called Codename Viper and...

Sir! Have you seen my pants? Sir!

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Feb 9, 2018

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Are OLED TVs still complete poo poo at response time with retro games?

Kind of amusing considering the zero motion blur is a big reason I want one (I've literally never purchased an LCD TV. Only plasmas :spergin:)
This is barely related to the current discussion but I really miss your zelda dot crawl avatar

UnhandledException
Jun 27, 2016

Not enough memories.

fishmech posted:

Can't chuck the cartridges into that or put in my paddles or any of my other odd controllers needed for some games.

They aren’t for sale yet, but kevtris has already designed adapters that will let you use original cartridges and controllers for those systems.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

fishmech posted:

That said it's be better to have a Predicta Tandem which ran very high voltage and high current electricity all the way across your room from the base to the place you'd put the separate picture tube. That way you could adjust the channels and volume while on the couch!

I've seen these things a few times but they still give me the willies.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

UnhandledException posted:

They aren’t for sale yet, but kevtris has already designed adapters that will let you use original cartridges and controllers for those systems.

the other issue would be that the nt mini seems out of production at this point

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

hasn't kevtris talked about releasing his own low cost FPGA multi system outside of Analogue, or does he basically just work for them now

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

The Big Word posted:

This is barely related to the current discussion but I really miss your zelda dot crawl avatar

Some gigantic pc gaming piss baby got irl mad at me for defending the nintendo switch in gbs and bought me this as a result

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Caitlin posted:

i'm literally a world record high score player so

Good for you? Doesn't change what I said, which is still correct.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

d0s posted:

hasn't kevtris talked about releasing his own low cost FPGA multi system outside of Analogue, or does he basically just work for them now

I think he has a day job in cryogenics or something.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

d0s posted:

I really want a 1080P flat OLED as my main modern TV (for watching movies and stuff). I don't plan on going 4K anytime soon, and don't want everything to be upscaled. Unfortunately all the 1080P OLEDs I see are those insanely stupid curved ones. Is there any flat 1080P OLED at a decent size?

I wish this existed as well. Friggin cable TV still isn't even 1080p yet. 4k being pushed really makes no sense unless people were buying 4k Blu-Rays (they aren't). But I wouldn't be surprised if in a year or so when (someone correct me if I am wrong) LG will have to allow other manufacturers to make OLED TVs, you might see some cheap-o companies making 1080p OLEDs (hopefully). But then again I just read that Lenovo stopped offering OLED in their laptops because the OLED producers stated they don't want to make laptop screens any more for reasons(??).

Since there is such a market for PVMs I hope one day someone comes out with a 25"+ OLED 4:3 display at 320x240 (or whatever). A powerful Android portable with that would be incredible :allears:

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Feb 9, 2018

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

I might be being paranoid, but does anyone have experience bringing an everdrive in carryon luggage on a flight? I'm going on a business trip next week and considering bringing a ds and gba everdrive but I've heard TSA doesn't like certain electronics.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Breadallelogram posted:

I might be being paranoid, but does anyone have experience bringing an everdrive in carryon luggage on a flight? I'm going on a business trip next week and considering bringing a ds and gba everdrive but I've heard TSA doesn't like certain electronics.

Kids bring DS's on planes all the time. It wouldn't be a problem.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

The everdrive is the part I'm not sure about. It's a custom cartridge from eastern europe.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Breadallelogram posted:

The everdrive is the part I'm not sure about. It's a custom cartridge from eastern europe.

Well it's not like it's covered in cyrillic, and I doubt a TSA agent will know or care about a cart not being an officially licensed nintendo product.

Anecdotally, I brought a GBA+EZflash on a plane last year and had no issues.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Breadallelogram posted:

They're really not that well versed on those things. They'll put it through their scanner and see it's simpler than a laptop is and just wave you through.

TSA has a short list of things of things to look out for, and those things are basically weapons/explosives, flammables, liquids, and flora/fauna. Nothing else will trip them up unless you have a shitload of them (like if you're trying to fly to China with a few dozen recent iPhones that might be an issue).

On that note, if your flight isn't international or flying over international territory, they'll care even less. If what you're bringing isn't something that's deemed unsafe or has the potential to bother other customers by its presence, you are totally fine.

univbee fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Feb 9, 2018

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Breadallelogram posted:

I doubt they'll give a poo poo tbh

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I've brought my Vita and 3DS on planes including internationally and the TSA never looked twice at them.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Thanks y'all. As I suspected, I was being paranoid. I'm going to go for it and play picross 2 for my entire flight.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I've flown on international and domestic flights all over the world with flash carts basically as long as they've existed on GBA and never once had anyone even look at them funny (including stuff with Chinese labels), and this includes multiple flights within and to/from Japan.

univbee fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Feb 9, 2018

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Breadallelogram posted:

Thanks y'all. As I suspected, I was being paranoid. I'm going to go for it and play picross 2 for my entire flight.

Good choice, Picross ftw

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

I wish this existed as well. Friggin cable TV still isn't even 1080p yet. 4k being pushed really makes no sense unless people were buying 4k Blu-Rays (they aren't). But I wouldn't be surprised if in a year or so when (someone correct me if I am wrong) LG will have to allow other manufacturers to make OLED TVs, you might see some cheap-o companies making 1080p OLEDs (hopefully). But then again I just read that Lenovo stopped offering OLED in their laptops because the OLED producers stated they don't want to make laptop screens any more for reasons(??).

You get 4k native content out of the streaming sites and YouTube videos is the thing.

Also OLED production is pretty low for all the demand, so things are getting prioritized for phones and tablets first and foremost.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Regarding input latency you really don't need to be OMG WORLD RECORD FIGHTING GAME SUPER MASTER to notice it. It's one of those things that a lot of people can adapt to or not even know they're adapting. It's also one of those things where once you notice it depending on the person it might irritate you to no end. When Rock Band first came out I visited my friend who had a 60" LCD then and gave it a spin because I used to be really good at Guitar Hero. I couldn't even pass a song and I straight up told him that this isn't right and there's something really wrong with either the game or his setup. Queue our first experience of calibrating a game to HD panels and then instantly I was able to full combo and blah blah.

For the most part people playing SNES games won't notice or have to adapt much with a panel display because a majority of games don't require high enough precision where it matters. I heavily played JRPGs and SNES via xrgb-mini was more than fine for this, never a problem. When I switched to NES to play SMB1 I noticed a lot of problems playing because my muscle memory did not time with what was on screen and my ability to play was greatly impacted by it.

With all that said I can see that there would be a market for the snes nt however I realize I am not that market. It'll probably do great and kudos to that. I just don't see much point personally to bother wasting time making GBS threads on the product. I want an accurate SNES experience on a HD panel, not down clocked to work 100% with a HD panel. This product isn't for me but I could achieve that with OSSC and SNES if I wanted. I just don't care.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

What is the lowest-latency setup you can achieve without going with original hardware outputting analog to a CRT? How's the input latency on, say, a 3DS running VC or other emulated games?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

univbee posted:

What is the lowest-latency setup you can achieve without going with original hardware outputting analog to a CRT? How's the input latency on, say, a 3DS running VC or other emulated games?

Accuracy-wise? A gaming monitor with the console hooked up to OSSC

Accuracy-aside? Handhelds have the fastest LCD panel response time.

It's kind of a toss-up double-edged sword. On one hand you have a setup that relies on scaling + whatever latency the panel has which 24" and smaller is almost immeasurable for response time with TN panels however emulation really depends upon how the hardware & os interacts with the various portions of apis used to create the emulator. Rather than try to act smart about it I'll just refer to Byuu on that. https://byuu.org/articles/latency/

flyboi fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Feb 9, 2018

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
The first time I really noticed input lag was on the Switch version of Puyo Puyo Tetris, a lot of it was coming from a version of the game that didn't have any input lag, so probably a lot of input lag problems are also from player expectations.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Elliotw2 posted:

The first time I really noticed input lag was on the Switch version of Puyo Puyo Tetris, a lot of it was coming from a version of the game that didn't have any input lag, so probably a lot of input lag problems are also from player expectations.

I feel like this is the biggest determining factor in whether or not you'll notice lag. If you have memories of playing SMB on an NES hooked directly into a CRT you'll have much different expectations for the feel of the game than someone coming to it for the first time. That being said, just like a stable framerate, having the lowest latency possible is always the most desired option.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Re:4K discussion: I have a 4K TV right now and bluntly, it's not really worthwhile unless your couch is very close to the television as it is. Mine is not, and even with my TV being 60", I cannot tell the difference between 1080p content and 4K content at the distance I sit; I have to get up-close for the scaling artifacts to be noticeable on the former. I can more-easily tell the difference between 1080p content and sub-1080p content, for what that's worth.

The real draw of 4K TVs, at the moment, is high-dynamic range content... which my TV doesn't support (well, it supports the signal, but it doesn't do the localized brightening that is kinda required for HDR to work, so). Plus the quality of HDR is kind of running the gamut at the moment. And then there's stuff like Dolby Vision to consider, and like, IDEK anymore...

I'd honestly advise waiting for HDMI 2.1 HDTVs to become standard before buying a new HDTV, since that at least allows for variable refresh rates (i.e.: adaptive sync/G-Sync/FreeSync, if I heard correctly). Speaking as That should eliminate in-game screen-tearing or overt hitches in the framerate, so speaking as somebody who actually has a G-Sync monitor, it'll be a worthwhile companion for game consoles that support that feature (which... presently is just the Xbox One X, with Microsoft being forward-thinking to the point of absurdity here - but, I dunno, maybe Sony can patch it in with a firmware update or something; Nintendo probably won't bother until their post-Switch console, though).

Also, these new TVs only seem to support HDMI, as was mentioned earlier, so you'd either need some sort of upscaler (because you ain't pluggin' in component or composite, that's for sure), or you'd have to start looking into these FPGA devices to replace your existing hardware. Kinda sucks, but it's where the industry is moving.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Crackbone posted:

Good for you? Doesn't change what I said, which is still correct.

you LOL'd at what I said but your counterargument literally applies to me so yeah

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Some gigantic pc gaming piss baby got irl mad at me for defending the nintendo switch in gbs and bought me this as a result

I will never understand anyone spending $10 because they're angry at someone. I could buy two NES games or a 6-pack with that.

Started playing Arc the lad last week and am about 6 hours in. It's... okayish. Like there's nothing majorly bad about it but the flip side of the coin is that there's nothing that really draws you in. The music is okay and the characters are mostly pretty generic. I can't speak to the graphics because, IIRC wasn't this originally a 16-bit release? I'm playing the PS1 collection on a PS2, fwiw, and I think that combo is screwing with my expectations for what this "should" look like.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Quiet Feet posted:

I will never understand anyone spending $10 because they're angry at someone. I could buy two NES games or a 6-pack with that.

Started playing Arc the lad last week and am about 6 hours in. It's... okayish. Like there's nothing majorly bad about it but the flip side of the coin is that there's nothing that really draws you in. The music is okay and the characters are mostly pretty generic. I can't speak to the graphics because, IIRC wasn't this originally a 16-bit release? I'm playing the PS1 collection on a PS2, fwiw, and I think that combo is screwing with my expectations for what this "should" look like.

No Arc the Lad was PSX only

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Quiet Feet posted:

Two NES games? Maybe really crappy ones :toot:

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

flyboi posted:

Regarding input latency you really don't need to be OMG WORLD RECORD FIGHTING GAME SUPER MASTER to notice it. It's one of those things that a lot of people can adapt to or not even know they're adapting. It's also one of those things where once you notice it depending on the person it might irritate you to no end. When Rock Band first came out I visited my friend who had a 60" LCD then and gave it a spin because I used to be really good at Guitar Hero. I couldn't even pass a song and I straight up told him that this isn't right and there's something really wrong with either the game or his setup. Queue our first experience of calibrating a game to HD panels and then instantly I was able to full combo and blah blah.

For the most part people playing SNES games won't notice or have to adapt much with a panel display because a majority of games don't require high enough precision where it matters. I heavily played JRPGs and SNES via xrgb-mini was more than fine for this, never a problem. When I switched to NES to play SMB1 I noticed a lot of problems playing because my muscle memory did not time with what was on screen and my ability to play was greatly impacted by it.

With all that said I can see that there would be a market for the snes nt however I realize I am not that market. It'll probably do great and kudos to that. I just don't see much point personally to bother wasting time making GBS threads on the product. I want an accurate SNES experience on a HD panel, not down clocked to work 100% with a HD panel. This product isn't for me but I could achieve that with OSSC and SNES if I wanted. I just don't care.
Yeah I'll never be some kinda eSport dude but as soon as I jump in Super Mario World I'll be aware of the lag on an HD screen.
My wife cares very little for games, but when we played a bit of The Next Tetris on PS3 (hooked to a low-lag plasma) instead of PS2 (on an old CRT) she immediately complained that it felt "slower".

Elliotw2 posted:

What's the version with no input lag? PS3 on a CRT? I'd hope the Switch isn't any laggier than any of its current-gen counterparts (or a Vita).

Minidust fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Feb 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I need to gently caress around with my various handhelds to see how they fare.

I'm not 100% sure how my TV's fare in the lag department but there's definitely perceptible lag with it. It's weird, too, since I'm somewhat used to that sort of latency, and then when I go play on a CRT it feels like ther reaction time is fast to the point where the game is reading my mind, like it feels like Mega Man jumps/shoots just before I actually press the button.