Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I think the mall ninja story was the apex of that, although I can't remember if that originated here or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

minimum wage hotel James Bond

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Seventh Arrow posted:

I think the mall ninja story was the apex of that, although I can't remember if that originated here or not.

Was that the guy who tried to explain how getting shot at was some amazing tactical decision?

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?

Seventh Arrow posted:

The original is here (well, not the original, but a compilation.) It came from a bunch of different gun forums. The difference is that the mall ninja here is clearly taking the piss out of everyone, where as Angry Bee Dance (minimum wage hotel James Bond) was trying to impress everyone with his stories of loving a Lamborghini.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
This reminds me that there were goons who actually believed 50 Foot Ant's stories in the old ghost story thread.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Maybe it's just me but I get the feeling that the author in that fake as hell story is a young woman.

Also that story is, again, fake as hell, but it 100% personifies everyone who really got involved in camp poo poo

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Dr. Clockwork posted:

This reminds me that there were goons who actually believed 50 Foot Ant's stories in the old ghost story thread.

Yeah that's the prime example to me. I get that people were trying to just have fun and play along as if it was real, but some of them got so pissed when you questioned any of the details that at least a handful of them seemed to truly believe it.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

She seems to spend a lot of time explaining how when she is woken up that she attacks people for it to not have any impact on the story at all.

Actually, all the talk about how heavy a sleeper she is is irrelevant, since the person was silently taking cash from her not playing death metal.

I'm starting to think that some of this story might be fabricated...

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Or his game thread where the owner of a game store always let him and his cool army friends and hot, pregnant wife play whenever they want but they had to deal with an insane caricature of a goony nerd.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

yeah I eat rear end posted:

It's more rare now but it still happens in various forums. Basically any "stories from my job" thread starts out kind of believable but as they run out of material they start making up wacky names for the characters and keep cranking up the bullshit level to keep the thread moving. Nobody stops to question why they have basically an infinite amount of stories to draw from, or if they do they get probated for threadshitting.

Does anyone have a link to that A/T thread about the yakuza that was derailed by the girl who claimed to be a hitman? She had stories about killing people with syringes of poison and an initiation that included being beaten and locked in dog cages. And of course she was best of the best even though she was still in high school. The number of people defending her was crazy.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I had an English teacher in high school that talk about how she would hold up the line at the grocery store to correct an employee's grammar, so I buy this 100%.

Here's some content for ya

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

hyperhazard posted:

Does anyone have a link to that A/T thread about the yakuza that was derailed by the girl who claimed to be a hitman? She had stories about killing people with syringes of poison and an initiation that included being beaten and locked in dog cages. And of course she was best of the best even though she was still in high school. The number of people defending her was crazy.

I know exactly what you are talking about and it was hilarious. I can't remember the name though. It's on the back of my tongue but it's not coming to me.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

I just want a compilation post/thread of all the goon-specific STDH.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

I just googled Pakistani dagger and now I'm even more confused

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I just want a compilation post/thread of all the goon-specific STDH.

It would have to feature that goonette who used her parents silver company to become a super rich globe traveling detective

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Mods please change my name to Neo Nazi Antifa Wannabe Punk

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
I dunno, if a story is entertaining, and you're never going to deal with the person who wrote it in real life anyway, does it really matter if it's bullshit?

Just don't leave enormous plot holes in your stdh and I'm perfectly happy to listen to a tall tale.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Zelder posted:

I just googled Pakistani dagger and now I'm even more confused

My dad had a "dagger" made in Pakistan that I got when he died. It's a cheap, single piece of metal forged in a knife shape and painted black.

Also the gun he mentioned doesn't even come close to existing as a real model.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I touched the poop on the camp story.

quote:

Except your nickname doesn't matter to the story at all either. It comes off as someone who really wanted a nickname but never got one trying to make it work.

Also your story really reads like poo poo that didn't happen.txt

quote:

Actually, that’s exactly what it was. I’d always wanted a nickname and never had one before.

Also, I respect your opinion but there’s rules on r/ProRevenge about commenting things like ‘reads like poo poo’ or ‘that totally happened’

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

ah, the cry of the truth teller "mods?!"

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

You infiltrated their lazy creative writing safe space, prepare to be banned.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

yeah I eat rear end posted:

You infiltrated their lazy creative writing safe space, prepare to be banned.

Eh it's Reddit I won't miss my account but it does make me feel better to have the author admit they invented the nickname and wanted to make it work.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
/r/ProRevenge, /r/PettyRevenge, and other subreddits in that vein almost never feel truthful. I can't tell if it's collectively pretending to believe the stories (like /r/NoSleep, which is creepypasta where the comments are intentionally suspending disbelief) or if people really believe and enjoy the thousandth story of a teenager ripping off a blistering bon mot on a hapless employee/customer/coworker/whatever.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Elysiume posted:

/r/ProRevenge, /r/PettyRevenge, and other subreddits in that vein almost never feel truthful. I can't tell if it's collectively pretending to believe the stories (like /r/NoSleep, which is creepypasta where the comments are intentionally suspending disbelief) or if people really believe and enjoy the thousandth story of a teenager ripping off a blistering bon mot on a hapless employee/customer/coworker/whatever.

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

hyperhazard posted:

I wish I could find it, it was great. Specifically, OP was in a Korean street gang in 90s California as a teenager, just doing petty street rat stuff and getting into bullshit fights.

Then some chick came in all "yeah same but on the east coast" at first but she built up an overwrought story of personally stealth assassinating dozens of people, becoming the teenage leader of all east coast Asian crime after promising to avenge her brother... then she walked away from it all and graduated from an Ivy League school like it was no biggie. I think she drove off the more interesting (and believable) OP after basically hijacking the thread.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
Wasn't her username silver something or something silver

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Elysiume posted:

There's probably some of column A, and more than anyone would like to admit of column B.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Wait, neo-nazi antifa? Aren't those two groups the opposite?

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Moon Slayer posted:

Wait, neo-nazi antifa? Aren't those two groups the opposite?

No no no, you see, ANTIFA are the REAL Nazis because they want use violence to stop people from advocating for fascism

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Len posted:

It would have to feature that goonette who used her parents silver company to become a super rich globe traveling detective

Don't tease me unless you have a link!

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

grittyreboot posted:

I had an English teacher in high school that talk about how she would hold up the line at the grocery store to correct an employee's grammar, so I buy this 100%.

Here's some content for ya

Wait. How can someone be Antifa AND a neo-Nazi? :psyduck:

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

The only good thing about this story is that instead of a wedding it ends with camping.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Don't tease me unless you have a link!

I don't have archives or search but this should give enough context to find it.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3631118&pagenumber=80&perpage=40#post440297766

Kevin Palpatine
Dec 20, 2017
people that start a story with "be me" need to be shot out of a cannon onto an island with large carnivorous predators

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Samizdata posted:

Wait. How can someone be Antifa AND a neo-Nazi? :psyduck:

As if anybody has internally consistent political beliefs

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Kevin Palpatine posted:

people that start a story with "be me" need to be shot out of a cannon onto an island with large carnivorous predators

Agreed, 4channers do need to be shot out of a cannon.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Also that stdh is bad, no one should be encouraging anyone to shoot Nazis in the legs.

When you shoot Nazis, you should always shoot to kill.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
On the homegrown STDH I liked that one guy who claimed that his job had had no actual things to do for years due to other jobs absorbing them (or he was absorbing unused titles, something like that) so he's just sit around at work with nothing to do.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Kevin Palpatine posted:

See it needs to be a metal can of juice because a carton or a plastic bottle would probably just melt/smoke

Katt has a new favorite as of 10:29 on Feb 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Kevin Palpatine posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5xA21Qoxaw&t=61s