Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

StashAugustine posted:

Total Warhammer is the place to get your old world fix

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mordja posted:

ill say this much, Sloppity Bilepiper owns, unironically

Thats because he is great.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

moths posted:

I'm certain the real reason Slaanesh is on the back burner is that the AoS naming conventions demand she get Cumsecrators, Jizzthirsters, and a Triple Penetratrix.

They have to be careful though. Jizz-Wailers are already a Disney copyright.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Hannibal Rex posted:

They have to be careful though. Jizz-Wailers are already a Disney copyright.

Nah, that's Jizz-Whalers, completely different.

But thanks all for the information. That seems...nuts.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

MonsterEnvy posted:

Thats because he is great.

I'm glad they went with Nurgle. He is by far the most entertaining of the Chaos gods, and his followers all have that certain je ne sais quoi.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

I dont know posted:

There are two things that fantasy has, that has that 40K lacks and AoS really lacks. First, as previously mentioned, is a relatable sense of scale that makes the conflicts in the world have actual meaningful stakes. The second is enough tongue in cheek humor and silliness that keeps the grim dark elements from getting unbearably monotonous. Without those elements, AoS especially just feels utterly weightless and tediously samey.

One things I always liked about Fantasy over 40K is that the good factions work together because they can tolerate, and in some cases even like, each other. And that makes when they fight so much more tragic. The dwarfs have lost a lot of rune knowledge, but there are some extremely powerful runes that they know how to make but can't because they require the assistance of elves and dragons. The entire War of the Beard is sad because it was started by Malekith exploiting his personal friendship with Snorri Whitebeard to pit the high elves and dwarfs against each other and ruin their two civilizations, and they'll never reclaim the heights they once reached because they don't trust each other like they once did.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
But, like, it's the same Sigmar that Victor's so into that makes giant golden robots in the future? :negative: hhhhholy sigmar bless this ravaged timeline

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Bogart posted:

But, like, it's the same Sigmar that Victor's so into that makes giant golden robots in the future? :negative: hhhhholy sigmar bless this ravaged timeline
That's another dumb thing about AOS. Sigmar is a human ascended to godhood, but in Fantasy there are a bunch of different gods so he's not that special. In fact, the Empire as a whole is actually polytheistic, which I think sets it apart nicely from 40k's whole GOD EMPEROR OF MANKIND shtick.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Mordja posted:

That's another dumb thing about AOS. Sigmar is a human ascended to godhood, but in Fantasy there are a bunch of different gods so he's not that special. In fact, the Empire as a whole is actually polytheistic, which I think sets it apart nicely from 40k's whole GOD EMPEROR OF MANKIND shtick.

That's another of the more humanizing aspects I liked about Fantasy too, "The Empire" is a bunch of different states and not just a blob, Sigmar worship is obviously real big, but then you've got a bunch of the north who follow Ulric, Taal comes in around the same places as Ulric often, the cult of Morr isn't huge but enough to be significant and an important group, parts worship Myrmidia thanks to Tilea and Estalia, so congealing everything into the totally-not-40K-ism of MUH GAWD EMPRAH sucks rear end super hard.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
There are other gods for the order factions in Age of Sigmar and Sigmar is considered their equal. But they are much fewer and Sigmar is still considered pretty much the main one. (With the exceptions of the Dwarfs/Duradin and Elves/Aelves who tend to elevate Grungni, Tyrion, Teclis and Malekith over Sigmar.)

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

White Coke posted:

One things I always liked about Fantasy over 40K is that the good factions work together because they can tolerate, and in some cases even like, each other. And that makes when they fight so much more tragic. The dwarfs have lost a lot of rune knowledge, but there are some extremely powerful runes that they know how to make but can't because they require the assistance of elves and dragons. The entire War of the Beard is sad because it was started by Malekith exploiting his personal friendship with Snorri Whitebeard to pit the high elves and dwarfs against each other and ruin their two civilizations, and they'll never reclaim the heights they once reached because they don't trust each other like they once did.

Also, having people able to work together in a crisis opens up a lot more potential variety. Just look at our buddies in Ratfight. They wouldn't be half as fun without bickering with one another before remembering 'oh yeah, gently caress the nazi rats' and getting back to it.

I've also always appreciated how Fantasy elves act like elves in every other fantasy setting, just nobody takes that poo poo from them rather than everyone bowing and scraping all the time. Being Standard Fantasy Elves is like, three quarters of what fucks them over all the time.

E: I mean, I got into the setting through the 2e RPG, and being able to have parties of a bunch of people from different countries, species, and groups logically working together and trying not to die of cholera/arrows together really improves things compared to the 'All Imperium All The Time' 40k TTRPGs.

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Feb 2, 2018

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Kerillian: Waystalker, Shade, Handmaiden

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Oh, Shades. Canadian backwoods murder elfs.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
i get the distinct feeling she will be equally unbearable in all her forms

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
*pushes up glasses with middle finger*

Hrrm, yes, elfsies are bad, yesss..

:goonsay:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
they, in fact, are

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Coolguye posted:

they, in fact, are

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

For vermintide 2, we wanted to maintain but expand upon what fans liked about the original. So we added an additional two permutations of the pubbie that runs ahead and dies alone, tries to do nothing but shoot from a perch, blames the team for everything they do wrong while refusing to stay in formation, and must be put down for the safety and sanity of the rest of the team.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Coolguye posted:

they, in fact, are

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Handmaiden could be cool. Polearms are Cool and Good and the halberd just isn't enough for me.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
It's called the shade because that's what everyone throws when you play one

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Don't know why I did not think of Everqueen Handmaiden for her High Elf class.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Shade seems like my jam. Cutting a path through the flanks of distracted rats with Sword + Dagger was my favorite way to play Kerillian.

The new Hulk Hogan bandana looks terrible compared to the original hood, but I guess they wanted the Waystalker to have a visual distinction from the Shade. "Elf who just shoots with a bow all the time" is the worst anyways, so I guess it's fitting.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I'm surprised that there's no dual path for her. She had sort of a Shadow Warrior thing going on, using bows and then swords. I suppose waystalker still has melee weapons, they can't take them away.

Vargs posted:

The new Hulk Hogan bandana looks terrible compared to the original hood, but I guess they wanted the Waystalker to have a visual distinction from the Shade. "Elf who just shoots with a bow all the time" is the worst anyways, so I guess it's fitting.

I bet there will be unlockable headgear, but yeah, the hood was way cooler. I suppose you gotta have something to strive for.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
The polearms seem really small, unfortunately. That's a really crappy short spear she has there, and mercenary Kruber's halberd is scarcely taller than he is. I guess the melee system doesn't really handle long weapons very well.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Mzbundifund posted:

The polearms seem really small, unfortunately. That's a really crappy short spear she has there, and mercenary Kruber's halberd is scarcely taller than he is. I guess the melee system doesn't really handle long weapons very well.

I'm guessing here, but I would think that not being able to see the entire weapon in my field of view would be disorienting, and to make them longer they would extend out of the FOV when at rest. I feel like I'd find myself likely to misjudge my swing distance if I couldn't visually track the weapon's path. I suppose I'd memorize the pattern, but it would feel weird at first.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Grondoth posted:

I'm surprised that there's no dual path for her. She had sort of a Shadow Warrior thing going on, using bows and then swords. I suppose waystalker still has melee weapons, they can't take them away.
I figured that would be the Shade's deal. Waystalker is your ranged focus, Shades get dual-swords and a close-range repeater or something, while Handmaiden is all about the melee spear and has minimal ranged weaponry.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

They also mentioned a two-handed sword for Handmaiden.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

do we even have a release date for vermintide 2 yet?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Nope, but wasn't the closed beta supposed to start in January because if so we're already off track. :v:

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Night10194 posted:

They also mentioned a two-handed sword for Handmaiden.
Even better. Has there been any talk about how the game would be balanced around some players not having a ranged weapon available? Having both on every character seemed pretty important all-around in the first one.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Mordja posted:

Nope, but wasn't the closed beta supposed to start in January because if so we're already off track. :v:

Not that I know, I just noticed before that the 10% sale for pre-order said it was ending like the 25th of january, so I thought maybe steam had given away a release, but the date moved forward since and is now march 8th.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Ravenfood posted:

Even better. Has there been any talk about how the game would be balanced around some players not having a ranged weapon available? Having both on every character seemed pretty important all-around in the first one.

Simple. Have Waystalker Elf with Slayer Bardin.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Slayer Bardin is gonna be so pissed off that all of his attempts to die in a blaze of glory end with him being tied up on the side of the road somewhere.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Caidin posted:

Slayer Bardin is gonna be so pissed off that all of his attempts to die in a blaze of glory end with him being tied up on the side of the road somewhere.

Thats cause Clan Moulder are assholes.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Mordja posted:

i got an invite and key to a “technical” test so that probably means... something? For the release date

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Closed beta has started. Posted the reddit link because the devs responded to it without sending a black ops team. Like dmboogie I got the invitation in my e-mail. There will be a beta inclusive of pre-orders later. It is also apparently the second wave of beta, so they've been doing it since January.

Pre-order promo runs until March 8th, so that's a decent guess as to release, as the official line is Q1, but might get pushed back like the Jan 25th date.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Can you play multiple of the same character, if they're different specializations? Can I play mercenary Kruber and have foot knight Kruber in the same game?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

TaurusTorus posted:

Can you play multiple of the same character, if they're different specializations? Can I play mercenary Kruber and have foot knight Kruber in the same game?

I am pretty sure no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

TaurusTorus posted:

I hope so

I want some hot kruber on kruber conversations or a pack of salty peters

• Locked thread