Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Atlas Hugged posted:

He saved the Union and freed the slaves, but he didn't exactly respect the constitution or due process.

U.S. historians and the Daughters of the Confederacy might care about that, but it’s hardly a recipe for international infamy.

e: I just noticed “CHENKISKHON”

More commonly transliterated as “Genghis Khan”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
They might mean Guiseppe Mazzini, the Italian republican leader?

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Arldorf Hilter curiously missing from the list.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Power Khan posted:

Arldorf Hilter curiously missing from the list.

Literally row 1 column 1, scrub.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
[Yells, wags finger]

*Face gained*

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
They all look like they were bummed off some Civilisation bootleg.

Then again, can't imagine that country in particular having truck with that series.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Pirate Radar posted:

They might mean Guiseppe Mazzini, the Italian republican leader?

Probably, he had a beard like that in the photos. Aside from calling them all "dictator" (possibly a bad translation of a word that simply means "leader"), the selection is pretty strange. Ivan, Catherine, Lenin and Stalin from Russia/Soviet Union, but no Peter the Great? France has Napoleon and "Johan of Arc" (with an Indian headwrap and some strange-looking armour), but not Louis XIV or De Gaulle? The only British dudes are "Hentry VIII" and Churchill?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Why is Big Chuck the earliest ruler on there? Why no Augustus or Alexander or Ramses II?

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Yeah, on closer inspection it does seem to have some inaccuracies.

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
upon closer inspection these are chinese slippers

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

GotLag posted:

Does Canada allow legal name changes like a civilised country, or does it use lovely French civil law?

In the vast majority of Canada, it's a process that takes an afternoon, most of which is taken up getting fingerprinted if you hadn't already been (in some provinces) to register with the local police (presumably to make sure you aren't doing it to escape some outstanding legal heat).

In Quebec? Well...

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Atlas Hugged posted:

He saved the Union and freed the slaves, but he didn't exactly respect the constitution or due process.

If you strip out the negative modern cultural context Lincoln's probably as close as you get to a dictator among US presidents, I wouldn't argue it too strongly. By the original Roman context it's not that far off.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Grand Fromage posted:

If you strip out the negative modern cultural context Lincoln's probably as close as you get to a dictator among US presidents, I wouldn't argue it too strongly. By the original Roman context it's not that far off.

good point, absolute power in time of war and all that.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Taiwan refusing earthquake help from China but accepting it from Japan is hilarious, good job guys.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

Taiwan refusing earthquake help from China but accepting it from Japan is hilarious, good job guys.

They refused from a number of places though, and only 7 Japanese went, who were basically operators for some top of the line people finding equipment.

Basically they had more than enough manpower and didn’t need more people mucking about, but are happy to have some advanced equipment and it’s handlers.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
See wonder why this thread gets called racist when you're trying to turn them declining to waste money and manpower unnecessarily into some taiwan china face poo poo (i like this thread for the record)

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Where are you getting that from?

Lazer Monkey
Jan 15, 2005

underage at the vape shop posted:

See wonder why this thread gets called racist when you're trying to turn them declining to waste money and manpower unnecessarily into some taiwan china face poo poo (i like this thread for the record)

please qualify this hot take...

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

How can China refuse aid from China???

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

LimburgLimbo posted:

They refused from a number of places though, and only 7 Japanese went, who were basically operators for some top of the line people finding equipment.

Basically they had more than enough manpower and didn’t need more people mucking about, but are happy to have some advanced equipment and it’s handlers.

yes yes but how can we spin this into a victory for japan

banzai

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I too would like the help of the most advanced nation in the world for earthquake protection and recovery compared to the nation that have 10000 people dying in "concrete" structures barely stronger than mud huts.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

The wife and I are watching the Olympic opening and I’m getting no end of hot takes out of her. Did you know Korea stole the Monkey King story from China?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Cry Havoc posted:

banzai

i know someone else who would like to spin into the sea of japan

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Warbird posted:

The wife and I are watching the Olympic opening and I’m getting no end of hot takes out of her. Did you know Korea stole the Monkey King story from China?

How are you posting from my future????

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
My wife is from China but she’s not loving retarded.

But I am

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I’m pretty sure it’s Chinese Kayfabe, or face as you call it.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

I like where you’re coming from, no shade, but “face poo poo” does come into it, any time Taiwan and China interact there will be some amount of it.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Grand Fromage posted:

Japan: World leaders in earthquake rescue tech and practices.

China: World leaders in runing over bystanders and rescue workers with heavy equipment and starting a brawl with said equipment.

Exhibit A : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cmm-DFSh6Aw

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

caberham posted:

My wife is from China but she’s not loving retarded.

But I am

Same

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

LimburgLimbo posted:

Fortunately angry nationalists hilariously shitposting on the internet always think through things rationally first.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
When New Zealand offers help with earthquakes we do the same thing as Japan. We send the equipment/dogs with the operators which isn't many people but you want to have the smallest footprint you can get.

What did China offer to send? I bet it was a 747 full of "Experts".

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Experts as in soldiers, or as in salvage team/corpse looter?

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

experts with smallpox blankets

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Cry Havoc posted:

banzai

Every day the sun rises over glorious nippon is another victory

It’s snowing on Mount Fuji

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WarpedNaba posted:

Experts as in soldiers, or as in salvage team/corpse looter?

Not mutually exclusive.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
China (and other countries) offered generic aid, which Taiwan already has enough resources for; the Japanese team was accepted because they had a big fancy thermal search setup that Taiwan doesn’t have. Relatedly, an official statement of condolence issued by the Japanese government originally referred to Tsai Ing-wen using her full formal title as President, and was edited following a complaint by the Chinese government.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I still want the whole world to calmly and kindly tell China we're all going to admit Taiwan is a country, like do it as a loving intervention sort of thing. China of course will go through denial, anger, bargaining, depression, but finally acceptance and we can all move on. It's seriously really embarrassing, both that China demands it and the world enables it.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
I got pretty annoyed watching the Hearthstone World Championships, the winner was from Taiwan, and they made him use a "Chinese Taipei" flag. I'm sure that somehow China got involved with loving Hearthstone and said the Chinese players couldn't play if Taiwan used their flag and called themselves by "Taiwan."

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Pirate Radar posted:

China (and other countries) offered generic aid, which Taiwan already has enough resources for; the Japanese team was accepted because they had a big fancy thermal search setup that Taiwan doesn’t have. Relatedly, an official statement of condolence issued by the Japanese government originally referred to Tsai Ing-wen using her full formal title as President, and was edited following a complaint by the Chinese government.

What are you supposed to call her? provincial Governor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

Boiled Water posted:

What are you supposed to call her? provincial Governor?

The PRC term for her is "Leader of Taiwan," which I honestly don't see how that in any way reduces her role or saves face etc.

edit: This gets me riled up thinking about. It's like on one hand they have to do this stupid face-saving "play dumb" act where they insist it's a part of China and just a province of China. Like you say, if they were going all-in on this they would assign some retard in Fujian or something who is a party member as the "Provincial Governer" and just deny that Tsai Yin-wen has any status or is anything other than a rebel or separatist or whatever.

The fact that they call her "leader" is like...okay so I guess Taiwan ISN'T part of China since China didn't at all appoint her as leader and because the PRC has zero control over her. Is calling her "leader" rather than "president" at all maintaining the illusion that Taiwan is part of China?

angel opportunity fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Feb 10, 2018

• Locked thread