Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

So some observations:
and thus the nWoD Loomer was born.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Yawgmoth posted:

and thus the nWoD Loomer was born.

Hah, I wish I were that thorough or patient (or had that kind of time.)

I figured this out on my own but as it turns out people were calling Great Mountain as a proto-God-Machine long before I did, I just happen to have enough woof and demon books to add some obscure supporting details.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dr. Poz posted:

Once Tremere was back in control of a body they then did ritual to wipe out the Tremere antitribu, right? So what's all this about Ur-Shulgi doing it? I know he threw off the blood curse, but the bit from the diary suggests Ur-Shulgi had a direct hand in destroying the Tremere antitribu.

Which is weird because I don't think it cared much about Tremere as a clan beyond breaking the Blood Curse (which it did by going, "Eh, whatever"). It's a little too ancient and busy prepping for Haqim coming back (or making sure everybody's going to worship it in Haqim's place, same thing) for a grudge. Or at least that grudge.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Another fun fact from juxtaposing the two is that, while there isn't officially a Werewolf / Demon crossover setting in Dark Eras, the Demon / Skinchanger Aztec setting bumps right up against the origin story of a Werewolf lodge from Blasphemies that came over to the New World with Cortes to fight the Pure, the Brotherhood of Crossed Swords.

e: Of course the Brotherhood are such assholes they almost make the Pure look sympathetic.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Feb 9, 2018

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

for spirits this presumably means Influences, but for a physical being it would mean something pretty much unprecedented -- like, say, occult physics. The God-Machine has a remarkable mastery of time, matter, and energy that is executed entirely by a series of physical "cheats;" it uses immense knowledge of how the world works but has relatively little power to directly effect change.

This part more than anything makes me wonder about the great degrees of similarity between what Infrastructure does and an Imperial Working.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
All that Vampire poo poo sounds tedious, dumb, and exhausting. Are players supposed to keep up with that? How would that ever effect your game - and if it does, what are players even supposed to do, just shrug and go "welp guess I'm dead?"

Like "hey your bud Steve died in-game." "Oh what happened?" "Some stupid poo poo happened on the other side of the world in a book you haven't bought yet." "And I do what with this information?"

oWoD always ends up sounding like the sort of thing where you have thirty "would-be" GMs and no players, because nobody's actually running any games, they're just reading the stories to themselves.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

ProfessorCirno posted:

All that Vampire poo poo sounds tedious, dumb, and exhausting. Are players supposed to keep up with that? How would that ever effect your game - and if it does, what are players even supposed to do, just shrug and go "welp guess I'm dead?"

Like "hey your bud Steve died in-game." "Oh what happened?" "Some stupid poo poo happened on the other side of the world in a book you haven't bought yet." "And I do what with this information?"

oWoD always ends up sounding like the sort of thing where you have thirty "would-be" GMs and no players, because nobody's actually running any games, they're just reading the stories to themselves.

Yeah, that's pretty much why players hated the oWoD metaplot. "You were playing a Ravnos? Well, you were playing a Ravnos. And if you insist that you still are, well, all your Clan structure is dust."

V20 seems to be sitting in a place where most of the big explosions either didn't happen or haven't happened yet, or happened but not enough to impact player characters. Ur-Shulgi is rising but isn't quite awake yet, some of the Tremere antitribu exploded but there are still some around, I can't remember whether Zapathasura happened or not, although I guess probably not because that coincided with Enoch being ghost-nuked.

Beckett's Jyhad Diary is basically Beckett's scrapbook of how he visited all these apocalypses-in-waiting and poked them with a stick.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
The twin underworld nukes are the catalyst that sets off the end of Wraith and the start of Hunter, and I think causes the Avatar Storm. And of course Orpheus happens in its wake. You'd want to know whether you're pre or post the fall of the TBH.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Rand Brittain posted:

Yeah, that's pretty much why players hated the oWoD metaplot. "You were playing a Ravnos? Well, you were playing a Ravnos. And if you insist that you still are, well, all your Clan structure is dust."

Most of this stuff happened after Revised came out so it's not like you'd switch editions mid-chronicle. It's not detailed until later books but they make it clear in the main books that those options are no longer available to players outside of special allowances.

It is excessively heavy handed though and they went out of their way to gently caress over Ravnos, Tremere Antitribu, and Stargazer players. Having to keep up with metaplot is tiring and often dumb but some people enjoyed it. It kept the supplement treadmill going and White Wolf in business. Thankfully the industry has changed for the better.

Pope Guilty posted:

The twin underworld nukes are the catalyst that sets off the end of Wraith and the start of Hunter, and I think causes the Avatar Storm. And of course Orpheus happens in its wake. You'd want to know whether you're pre or post the fall of the TBH.

The Avatar Storm was from the Technocracy killing Ravnos. It's another thing that's alluded to in the main book but not detailed until later. WW was pretty set on ending what they saw as a boring avenue for Mage as a game.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Feb 9, 2018

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS
What I remember from at the time in both the TT and LARP scenes was that the impact of most of the metaplot was confined to people talking about it, usually OOC. Even for the stuff going on in the US, if you weren't in specific places it was unlikely to really impact you much. The few things that were more global groups either accepted or ignored depending on how much of the relevant group was impacted. Our LARP I remember had no Ravnos or Tremere antitribu so yeah, they blew up, whatever. I know the werewolf LARP in the area, which had at least one all-stargazer pack just ignored all that stuff from revised.

I was idly musing about the X-files revival in the car a couple days ago, and it made me realize how much media from that era kept dancing around a "metaplot" where it was clear the writers had no idea about the truth. Content with a full narrative arc and a clear idea of where it was going was still not as common on TV, with things like Babylon 5 being novel in taking a mapped out approach. Now that its more commonplace, it seems like people are less tolerant of the fly by the seat of your pants sort of storytelling. Makes me wonder, on top of all the other nuWW fuckups, if the theoretical audience will even still enjoy some sort of meandering metaplot without a core narrative arc guiding it.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I put together a little thing for my Mage players, to introduce a few plot hooks and set some things in motion for the next few plot arcs.

Hopefully they like it, because fake news articles are fun to make (especially breathlessly excited gossip columns masquerading as business news), and a good way to world-build and dangle plot hooks at players to see if they bite.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

The Avatar Storm was from the Technocracy killing Ravnos. It's another thing that's alluded to in the main book but not detailed until later. WW was pretty set on ending what they saw as a boring avenue for Mage as a game.

Yeah, the underworld nukes are something even I'm not clear on. I know Stygia used one on Enoch, but I was never sure where the other one came from.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

cptn_dr posted:

I put together a little thing for my Mage players, to introduce a few plot hooks and set some things in motion for the next few plot arcs.

Hopefully they like it, because fake news articles are fun to make (especially breathlessly excited gossip columns masquerading as business news), and a good way to world-build and dangle plot hooks at players to see if they bite.

I love this. All those plot hooks are juicy and I wish I had the skill/patience to make something like this.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, the underworld nukes are something even I'm not clear on. I know Stygia used one on Enoch, but I was never sure where the other one came from.

Wraith's endgame involved a Void Engineer dumping it into the Labyrinth.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

cptn_dr posted:

Was this from a generator or something you photoshopped?

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

cptn_dr posted:

I'm enjoying how hard it is to decide between 'definitely a Seer of the Throne' and 'could just be a kind of overbearing thearch'

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Joe Slowboat posted:

I'm enjoying how hard it is to decide between 'definitely a Seer of the Throne' and 'could just be a kind of overbearing thearch'

It really is wonderful. Those are the best NPCs, the ones you interact with and go... "evil? not evil? huh..."

Also, wonderful effort prop. I especially love all the detail in the sidebars and layout.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
I'm mostly loving how every single headline on the side could be a different plot thread to follow.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Xinder posted:

I'm mostly loving how every single headline on the side could be a different plot thread to follow.

I assumed a number of them were things that had already happened in the game - and it seemed obvious that Monica here was coming in part because of the Vinca artifacts, or is War my hat.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
https://twitter.com/WerewolfVGAME/status/961566529505583106

Oozing confidence in the game there Martin.

Also they're using the old werewolf logo, and a completely different logo than the one they announced last week!

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
I'm the different logos on the shirts and the poster.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Kurieg posted:

Also they're using the old werewolf logo, and a completely different logo than the one they announced last week!

Worse than that: the logo on their T-shirts is again completely different to the one on the poster behind them, and both are different from the new logo.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Real slick presentation, that.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

one logo per werewolf form

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Marketing and layout professionals are of the Wyrm.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Kurieg posted:

They were too cheap to change their display from the last booth they had.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Flavivirus posted:

Worse than that: the logo on their T-shirts is again completely different to the one on the poster behind them, and both are different from the new logo.

That's what I was saying. The Logo on the Poster is the old Revised edition Werewolf logo.

Honestly the logo on their shirts is fine, "The Apocalypse" is centered under the main title and it only uses 2 fonts. It just doesn't strike me as a very werewolfy logo.

I mostly posted the image for Martin's death stare and :geno: Incarnate over on the Right.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Xinder posted:

Two of the ones in the sidebar could fit directly into the game I'm currently running. It doesn't even matter what's behind them, they'd just fit thematically.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Thanks for the kind words, guys!

Kavak posted:

Was this from a generator or something you photoshopped?

I photoshopped it. But now I've got the PSD for this, I have a template to base any others off, which is gonna make it way faster to do in future.

Xinder posted:

That was definitely my goal. Except the cryptocurrency one, that was an IRL headline I left in because it made me laugh.

cptn_dr fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Feb 9, 2018

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?

Joe Slowboat posted:

Definitely a Seer, and my character's daughter's mentor. I only have myself to blame for that.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Xinder posted:

We over here in LARP land definitely do this with the start-of-game newspapers, just throw everything we think players might be interested in there.

Some years we also have separate "this is the actual newspaper" and "this is a newspaper vampires make for themselves." This year, the latter is run by a Malkavian and has headlines like "Arnold Schwarzenegger Revealed To Be Martian," "We Thought It Wasn't Snakes, But It's Snakes Again," and "OPINION: Atlanta Medieval Times Actually Not That Bad."

(It's all coded references to various plots; all the other Malks have the code. Everyone else is free to speculate. And the Medieval Times opinion was, in fact, just an actual opinion column about the Atlanta Medieval Times.)

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Mister Olympus posted:

(It's all coded references to various plots; all the other Malks have the code. Everyone else is free to speculate. And the Medieval Times opinion was, in fact, just an actual opinion column about the Atlanta Medieval Times.)

A correct opinion, for what it's worth. I went there once, and it was fun in a cheesy sort of way.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Medieval Times owns and would be a great, if cheesy, hook for all kinds of oWoD splats. It would also allow you access to horses and medieval-style weaponry which could be useful for Garou too. Wraiths might not give a poo poo but w/e go be dead by yourselves.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
If I was a Wraith, I'd abuse my powers to go watch movies and plays and poo poo without having to pay.

A ghost critic, now that's a concept.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Nessus posted:

Medieval Times owns and would be a great, if cheesy, hook for all kinds of oWoD splats. It would also allow you access to horses and medieval-style weaponry which could be useful for Garou too. Wraiths might not give a poo poo but w/e go be dead by yourselves.

In this case, it's sort of a halfway home for newly-risen elders not ready to be thrown into a fully modern world yet.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I love the fact that Requiem has a thing where you accumulate new knowledge during Torpor to better acclimate you to the time you wake up in. Because it creates a scenario where an elder wakes up speaking entirely in memes and demanding steamed hams.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
and i know what i'm doing for my next vampire elder npc

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

MonsieurChoc posted:

If I was a Wraith, I'd abuse my powers to go watch movies and plays and poo poo without having to pay.

You never hear about them because anyone who figures out that grift probably Transcends immediately due to accepting that they are dead, and it's super sweet.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

MonsieurChoc posted:

"I wasted my time watching this and I have all the time in the world to watch movies! 1/5, stiff acting and contrived plots."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
My werewolf game has started of great. Had the pack attend an underground punk show where the lead singers were kids one of the character's (Alvi) had helped get clean. During the show, a neo-nazi that that same character had slashed with a beer bottle in their background showed up with a gang of toughs, an uzi, and a grenade. The pack's Blood Talon rahu (Kyle) had been dragged off into the mosh pit by our Iron Master elodath private detective (Nikki), so it was just our two Bone Shadow ithaeur's, one the community organizer and the other a newly turn college student (Chuckie) against a dozen nazis with bats and knives, one with the gun and grenade and a shitload of humans in the crossfire.

My players are awesome. Alvi charged the head nazi, successfully inspiring the crowd behind them into jumping into fight, which basically neutralized the rest of the nazis. They knocked the grenade away, which the student grabbed and started to wave about, using it and his scientific knowledge to describe, in detail, what a grenade does when it explodes, which when combined with our detective breaking free from the mosh pit (thanks to Kyle being intimidating as gently caress and getting that crowd to back down, after they mistaked him for a nazi since he started to throw kids around when the fight broke out) and getting a couple successes on a called shot roll to kick the head nazi in the face, knocking him out, caused the rest to flee. The only casualties were two kids in the mosh pit knocked out, another two punks in the nazi melee injured, and two nazis along with the head guy knocked out. Alvi caught a couple bullets when they were grappling with the head nazi.

After that, knowing they needed to escape before the cops showed up, the rahu had his buddy take an injured friend and the unconscious nazi to the pack's den in the basement of a repurposed abandonded building used for community outreach, the pack got in contact with the CO's nosferatu pal and arranged an escort through a hidden tunnel system beneath the city. On the way to the meet up, they discovered signs of an Azlu infestation, learned that the tunnels were unsafe thanks to packs of CHUDs, and bartered a deal with the boss of the Nosferatu for free passage through their territory and information on the gang that attacked them in exchange for clearing out the CHUDs and general spiritual trouble shooting. Nikki used one of her gifts to read the weapons and discovered the links between the neo-nazis to the gang of white nationalists they got the weapons from and, from there, to the survivalist compound out in the swamp there the WN's purchased the weapons.

They now have a list of leaders of the White Knights (the gang), the leader of the Neo Nazi in their basement, and Chuckie is currently trying to get a fear spirit to influence the neo nazi boss as they interrogate him.