Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Condiv posted:

tbh, i'm kinda surprised how spineless the dems are being wrt dreamers.for all their banging on about caring about immigrants and immigration, when the rubber met the road they've abandoned them totally

Gotta pick up them moderate Republicans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The obvious lesson to learn from the DACA crisis and Obamacare as well is to never accept half assed Democratic half measures because the Democrats don't deserve the trust they ask for. DACA could have been handled prior to the 2010 elections and Obamacare could have been crafted in a way that didn't allow the Republicans to sabotage it but they were too cowardly to do either and promised things would be fixed or better changes would come. Now we have a registry of illegal immigrants handed over to a cadre of white supremacists and the ACA has been systematically destroyed after having to have people swarm the capital begging the Republicans not to gently caress it over 100% three times in the last year. The DACA issue is even more atrocious since that was something they requested the Dreamers to take a chance on based on trusting their supposed allies and they have been all but abandoned.

Every rich Democratic politician should be using whatever money they've acquired while in office (or after in Obama's case) to personally fund an underground railroad to help those people to Canada or something since they are powerless to do anything in actual government due to their gently caress ups in the past. Instead they are just going to let it happen then use their plight to get re-elected then do nothing to help again since they won't ever have 60 Senate votes (lol Manchin will always vote no even in that fantastic scenario).

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/borenbears/status/961931988520329216

Now why would this be a concern all of a sudden?

:thunk:

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Nevvy Z posted:

I assume that is a child?

No. Just an Asian person.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Radish posted:

The obvious lesson to learn from the DACA crisis and Obamacare as well is to never accept half assed Democratic half measures because the Democrats don't deserve the trust they ask for. DACA could have been handled prior to the 2010 elections and Obamacare could have been crafted in a way that didn't allow the Republicans to sabotage it but they were too cowardly to do either and promised things would be fixed or better changes would come. Now we have a registry of illegal immigrants handed over to a cadre of white supremacists and the ACA has been systematically destroyed after having to have people swarm the capital begging the Republicans not to gently caress it over 100% three times in the last year. The DACA issue is even more atrocious since that was something they requested the Dreamers to take a chance on based on trusting their supposed allies and they have been all but abandoned.

Every rich Democratic politician should be using whatever money they've acquired while in office (or after in Obama's case) to personally fund an underground railroad to help those people to Canada or something since they are powerless to do anything in actual government due to their gently caress ups in the past. Instead they are just going to let it happen then use their plight to get re-elected then do nothing to help again since they won't ever have 60 Senate votes (lol Manchin will always vote no even in that fantastic scenario).

You honestly think Canada, who has the kind of "merit-based" immigration system that US conservatives masturbate to, will take the Dreamers?

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-29594642

Anyway... I agree that the Democrats have really bungled handling of the Dreamers. You can't keep acting as if they're the most important thing in the world to you and then not using every single kind of obstructionist tactic to follow up on that rhetoric. I think the leadership is still stuck in this old idea of "we need to be the only adults in the room," when the American public and many of the youth voters the Democrats needs to flood the ballot lines are beyond that 2008-era optimism and just want to see someone who can fight for change.

Older people may just be too stuck to the idea that "there are good Republicans out there," even though no one with anything to lose in that party has spoken out against Trump or Trump's supporters. I don't think you gain anything politically by calling someone a "Deplorable," but from a strategic and tactical standpoint, I think you gain even less by thinking they're redeemable.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Condiv posted:

tbh, i'm kinda surprised how spineless the dems are being wrt dreamers.for all their banging on about caring about immigrants and immigration, when the rubber met the road they've abandoned them totally

I'm not. loving over the dreamers was always going to be the easier way out.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

I've never missed a VA Senate election since I became eligible to vote in the early 2000s, but I think I am sitting out my first one this November. I'll still vote for my Democratic representative in the House because he's at least been passable, but gently caress Tim Kaine. I'm angry enough that I hope he loses.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

B B posted:

I've never missed a VA Senate election since I became eligible to vote in the early 2000s, but I think I am sitting out my first one this November. I'll still vote for my Democratic representative in the House, but gently caress Tim Kaine. I'm angry enough that I hope he loses.

Are you sure that the Democrats in Virginia will take that as a sign that they should go further left and not, say, double down on centrism?

And if you better be willing to eat what a GOP senator is going to force down your throat.

I think Kaine is a pretty accurate reflection of the kind of voter that has turned Virginia into a Democrat state in recent years. Highly educated, suburban voters who have more compassion than Republicans but aren't so altruistic that they will screw themselves economically.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Brony Car posted:

Are you sure that the Democrats in Virginia will take that as a sign that they should go further left and not, say, double down on centrism?

And if you better be willing to eat what a GOP senator is going to force down your throat.

I think Kaine is a pretty accurate reflection of the kind of voter that has turned Virginia into a Democrat state in recent years. Highly educated, suburban voters who have more compassion than Republicans but aren't so altruistic that they will screw themselves economically.

My partner is an immigrant, and one of her parents is undocumented.

Democrats just gave up their only leverage on the DACA issue, because two leaders on the other side who regularly lie to members of their own party pinkie-sweared them that they'd consider an immigration bill.

It's kind of a personal issue, and I'm all out of fucks to give--especially for Senate dems.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

B B posted:

I've never missed a VA Senate election since I became eligible to vote in the early 2000s, but I think I am sitting out my first one this November. I'll still vote for my Democratic representative in the House because he's at least been passable, but gently caress Tim Kaine. I'm angry enough that I hope he loses.

vote for a third party or write in. it at least sends a stronger message than not voting at all

though then again, the dems seem hellbent on ignoring the messages they've been receiving loudly since 2016...

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Make sure to write him a pissed off letter too. Maybe even call in to his office.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Condiv posted:

vote for a third party or write in. it at least sends a stronger message than not voting at all

though then again, the dems seem hellbent on ignoring the messages they've been receiving loudly since 2016...

I think this is what the rich donors are telling them to do.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Hey, so yeah, this happened yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sI50FRztBa8&t=50s

Jump to the 0:50 mark if the link doesn't go there automatically.

A literal Nazi is running unopposed on the Republican ticket in the 3rd district of Illinois and is going to get into Congress if the Dems don't put someone up that beats him in the general election. :getin:

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Feb 9, 2018

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

B B posted:

It's kind of a personal issue, and I'm all out of fucks to give--especially for Senate dems.

Okay. gently caress the Senate Dems, but do you think you’re going to be better off if the Senate stays in the hands of the GOP?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
lol the entire Democratic Party is quislings

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah I know my Canada plan would not work it's just general frustration at Democrats getting richer while the people they convinced to trust them get hosed. :smith:

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

Brony Car posted:

Okay. gently caress the Senate Dems, but do you think you’re going to be better off if the Senate stays in the hands of the GOP?

Like it or not, everybody's got a line that once it's crossed, can't justify supporting the lesser evil anymore. For some it was the bank bailouts while the rest of the country was left to rot, or war on terror, or prosecuting whistle-blowers, or the drone strikes, or just the realization that the Democrats will never fight for you or anyone you care about and at best they are a speed bump for the people that actively want to hurt you. Now for many it's the Dreamers. You have a line somewhere too I would imagine unless you agree wholeheartedly with Republican policy.

Edit
Oh yeah or Trans-Pacific Partnership: NAFTA Harder during an election year because your party smugly thinks that voters have no where else to go.

Iron Twinkie fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Feb 9, 2018

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Raskolnikov38 posted:

lol the entire Democratic Party is quislings

No. Just a huge chunk of them that we need to primary.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Brony Car posted:

how does voting for people who will let the GOP do whatever it wants and will help make sure the dem party never elects someone that will do anything worthwhile help him?

maybe the top dems who are holding the party back and insisting it's ok for the dems to abandon dreamers and vote for republican attempts to roll back roe v wade need to be ejected from the party so that the party can turn into something that helps people instead of helps republicans

Condiv fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Feb 9, 2018

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Iron Twinkie posted:

Like it or not, everybody's got a line that once it's crossed, can't justify supporting the lesser evil anymore. For some it was the bank bailouts while the rest of the country was left to rot, or war on terror, or prosecuting whistle-blowers, or the drone strikes, or just the realization that the Democrats will never fight for you or anyone you care about and at best they are a speed bump for the people that actively want to hurt you. Now for many it's the Dreamers. You have a line somewhere too I would imagine unless you agree wholeheartedly with Republican policy.

Okay, but what do you do then? I understand refusing to support the lesser evil, but what do you decide to do after that? I don’t think he or anyone else really wants to give up on the fight to change this country for the better, but just saying “I’ll never vote Democrat again,” isn’t going to get us closer to anything but continued Republican dominance.

If you want to primary people like Kaine, then I think that’s a more concrete next step. If you want to try to form a third party, then at least say so, but alternative choices don’t just magically come out of nowhere.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
don’t vote for the quislings would be my recommendation

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Brony Car posted:

Okay, but what do you do then? I understand refusing to support the lesser evil, but what do you decide to do after that? I don’t think he or anyone else really wants to give up on the fight to change this country for the better, but just saying “I’ll never vote Democrat again,” isn’t going to get us closer to anything but continued Republican dominance.

If you want to primary people like Kaine, then I think that’s a more concrete next step. If you want to try to form a third party, then at least say so, but alternative choices don’t just magically come out of nowhere.

he literally said he's voting for democrats, just only the ones that help him. he didn't at all say he was disconnecting entirely from the party, just that he's not voting for every dem in every race

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Brony Car posted:

Are you a time traveler from 2016?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

https://twitter.com/AdamSerwer/status/961965086725279744

i thought pelosi was supposed to be a marvelous whip

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Condiv posted:

he literally said he's voting for democrats, just only the ones that help him. he didn't at all say he was disconnecting entirely from the party, just that he's not voting for every dem in every race

Fair enough, but deciding to opt out of the Senate race is still a big move to me.

Kobayashi posted:

Are you a time traveler from 2016?

I don’t think my questions have been answered since 2016.

I don’t want to make too many excuses for the Democrat since I think they could still be making stands they aren’t making that would look bad in the short term but would help the party on the long term. I just get distressed when I see voters get alienated and opt out of the process when it’s more important than ever to stay engaged.

The more voters pick and choose when they decide to be involved and when they don’t, the less consistent policy we get from government and the more we have these horrific party flips which end up keeping the professional political survivors who avoid real stands in our government while the ones who actually take a real stand end up getting bounced out after one term.

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Hey, so yeah, this happened yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sI50FRztBa8&t=50s

Jump to the 0:50 mark if the link doesn't go there automatically.

A literal Nazi is running unopposed on the Republican ticket in the 3rd district of Illinois and is going to get into Congress if the Dems don't put someone up that beats him in the general election. :getin:

I hate Illinois nazis.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Brony Car posted:

Fair enough, but deciding to opt out of the Senate race is still a big move to me.

I don’t want to make too many excuses for the Democrat since I think they could still be making stands they aren’t making that would look bad in the short term but would help the party on the long term. I just get distressed when I see voters get alienated and opt out of the process when it’s more important than ever to stay engaged.

The more voters pick and choose when they decide to be involved and when they don’t, the less consistent policy we get from government and the more we have these horrific party flips which end up keeping the professional political survivors who avoid real stands in our government while the ones who actually take a real stand end up getting bounced out after one term.

Close, but no potato

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Brony Car posted:

Probably not, but I have lost faith in Tim Kaine and want new representation in the Senate. If the Virginia Democratic Party weren't such a cesspool and so focused on candidates waiting their turn (see: establishment Virginia Democrats' response to Tom Periello's primary challenge of Ralph Northam), maybe Tim Kaine would have faced a primary challenge that would have caused him to actually reconsider maybe having a backbone sometimes.

You're right that I'll be worse off in the short term (and, yeah, 6 years is a long time), but I want Tim Kaine's political career to be over. He and Mark Warner are pretty good examples of everything that is wrong with the Democratic Party.

Case in point: I called Mark Warner's D.C. office yesterday to ask why he was supporting the 2-year budget deal. His staffer talked about "the process" and "importance of compromise" for a few minutes before I interrupted him and asked what Warner was actually *doing* to protect Dreamers. He pointed me to Warner's website and told me to watch his floor speeches. loving floor speeches.

Hey Dreamers: when ICE comes, just load up Warner's floor speeches on your iPhone. They count as citizenship papers!

Condiv posted:

I am still planning to vote, btw. I will probably just vote only for my representative in the House (Don Beyer). He sucks on a lot of stuff, but at least he voted no on this stupid budget deal.

I have also been calling the offices of Beyer, Kaine, and Warner on a daily basis to let them know how important this issue is to me. Beyer's the only one who voted the way he should have, and he's the only one I'm voting for next chance I get.

B B fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Feb 9, 2018

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Brony Car posted:

it is a big move, but one that must be made

the current state of the dem party is untenable, and senators like tim kaine are fighting to keep it that way. they're freezing out new blood who could reform the party, putting their thumbs on the scale for awful dems who vote to roll back roe v wade, and more

the party has to be wrested from them at any cost and as fast as possible.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Kaine and Warner both suck rear end and Virginia deserves better. I wish they would get primaried but I'm not naive enough to think that would happen.

It's frustrating as hell that the people now saying that the Dreamers were always hosed were telling people three weeks ago to stop being broke brained whiners when we realized they were already screwed and the Democrats had given up and were pissed.

To every person saying "voting Democratic in 2016 would have saved the Dreamers" or "you need to keep voting Democrat in order to help them" remember that as long as the Democrats aren't willing to whip "moderate" Democrats like Manchin or go nuclear and break the filibuster a majority of them in both Houses and the Presidency isn't enough to give them permanent help and would just keep them in their current state where any Republican president can gently caress them at his or her whim.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Feb 9, 2018

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Radish posted:

Kaine and Warner both suck rear end and Virginia deserves better. I wish they would get primaried but I'm not naive enough to think that would happen.

I'm not naive enough to think it will happen, either, which is why I am trying to actually get Kaine out so we can get new blood. If the Democrats we have in office aren't actually going to vote in a away that is in line with their stated principles, their stated principles aren't actually worth anything.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Lmao at people in this thread telling a desperate man he is a hostage and should love it.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

B B posted:

I'm not naive enough to think it will happen, either, which is why I am trying to actually get Kaine out so we can get new blood. If the Democrats we have in office aren't actually going to vote in a away that is in line with their stated principles, their stated principles aren't actually worth anything.

Their stated principles are absolutely worthless I agree. They really like having just enough of a credible reason to not do poo poo so they can pretend they stand for something other than keeping their job but not having to actually do anything. The entire party leadership needs to be gutted.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Brony Car posted:

Telling someone they should still, ultimately, vote for the lesser evil in some lovely Democrat is making excuses for Democrats though. Facist Republicans already control the government, one less vote for a do-nothing bad Democrat isn’t going to change that.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Condiv posted:

https://twitter.com/AdamSerwer/status/961965086725279744

i thought pelosi was supposed to be a marvelous whip

Oh my dude, no. She didn't even try to whip. Pelosi put on a nice piece of political theater, but then later backed down from putting any pressure on her colleagues to vote against the deal.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

The Democrats are just a pressure release valve to prevent an honest to God socialist shitstorm from lynching all the bankers. Their only job is to occasionally moderate Republican excess enough that the number of people willing to start robbing banks and building bombs stays manageable.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
That they didn’t even whip this seems completely hosed. They’ve completely hosed the Dreamers over

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Beto O'Rourke voted on this, by the way. You know, the guy running against Ted Cruz.

In Texas.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
If your reaction when somebody decides that some dem (or even the party as a whole) is too goddamn lovely for them to support is to petulently fall back on lesser evilism you're a goddamn dingus, because there's another problem here that's millions of times bigger, and that is that the dem leadership is doing poo poo that causes people to be turned off in the first place and they don't get that lesser evilism doesn't loving work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Fans posted:

That they didn’t even whip this seems completely hosed. They’ve completely hosed the Dreamers over

Not surprising when schumer said it was a lossing issue and would sit on the backburner until november if the dems take control.

• Locked thread