Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

Glagha posted:

Alright seeing as I have played very little EQ and am a baby noob, someone just straight up tell me a race/class combo to play. Don't care what it is (as long as it's not a horrible trap combo that will result in nothing but misery).

I would advise you to go Halfling Warrior. A very straightforward class, best xp bonus there is, though very reliant on grouping and gear progression later in the game. Stay away from evil races and hybrid classes if you like things simple.

Does anyone have a Carved Dragonbone Spear they'd be willing to sell?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
Druids of any race are solid. There's tons of them, but you can make a little bit of plat porting people around if you decide it's tunnelquest time instead of grinding.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Well I rolled a warrior. Hopefully I'll find some kind caster to babysit me later when I have time to play! I killed a bat so I'm on my way to endgame!

hydo
Nov 23, 2002

I'm gay for Lipton Brisk Iced Tea
Goons on p99? gently caress yea...

Auntbugsy, 57 magician checking in

hydo fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Feb 5, 2018

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

I'm an enchanter, so sure but not for the reward.

Orty
May 14, 2007

Thanks to Mauzer I got my newbie friend and me to Warrens to start slaughtering kobolds.

We got to 8 and thanks to Haughty didn't have to die horribly to get our lvl 8 spells.

He learnt quite a bit off stuff that I didn't realize I should probably tell him. Like don't go afk on top of a pathing point for high level kobolds. Or don't send your pet in after something without checking if it's surrounded by other spawns.

He is enjoying himself quite a bit especially since we are out of the newbie yard slog.

Bybus Slago
Oct 31, 2005
Maybe I'm just not hip to the jive.
I've been thinking about getting back into this. Sitting on a 55 mage and 38 bard and monk. It'd be cool to see some of the velious stuff, as I missed almost all of it on live.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Orty posted:

Thanks to Mauzer I got my newbie friend and me to Warrens to start slaughtering kobolds.

We got to 8 and thanks to Haughty didn't have to die horribly to get our lvl 8 spells.

He learnt quite a bit off stuff that I didn't realize I should probably tell him. Like don't go afk on top of a pathing point for high level kobolds. Or don't send your pet in after something without checking if it's surrounded by other spawns.

He is enjoying himself quite a bit especially since we are out of the newbie yard slog.

I'm a lv7 Enchanter, so if you guys want to take me along for a ride I'd love to join sometime.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Glagha posted:

Well I rolled a warrior. Hopefully I'll find some kind caster to babysit me later when I have time to play! I killed a bat so I'm on my way to endgame!

Warriors are kind of a hard class to play especially as your first. They are *the* prototypical gear dependent class and are kind of not great if you don't have someone feeding you twink gear. They also kind of have the least going on in terms of buttons to hit, no spells, kick/bash once every 10 seconds and taunt every 4-5. If you don't have the gear to be able to snap hate (i.e. mostly weapons with stuns or DoT procs) you'll have a not especially great time. Paladins and Shadowknights tend to be better exp group tanks in the lower gear/level areas because they have access to snap hate in the form of their magic stuns/dots and such while still retaining 95% of the same gear availability and access to taunt/bash.

Also for what it's worth, both Paladins and SKs solo better. It's still not great compared to the true soloers like Druids/necros, but they have tools available to keep themselves healthy (Self heals/lifetap) and strong (defense buffs / siphon strength), and to get themselves out of poo poo if things go pear shaped (Divine intervention / feign death)

Either way, find yourself a shaman or cleric friend to duo with and proceed to always have a group wherever you go because healer/tank is the core of a group and you can just pick up any old stragglers and usually make things happen.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Bybus Slago posted:

I've been thinking about getting back into this. Sitting on a 55 mage and 38 bard and monk. It'd be cool to see some of the velious stuff, as I missed almost all of it on live.
The new guys will probably be caught up to your bard/monk in a few weeks if you don't feel like rerolling, and there's a lot of cool quests in the three main faction areas (dwarfs/giants/dragons) that you could potentially solo on your mage to keep you busy until then (Coldain Prayer Shawl and Coldain Ring are both pretty popular and cool if you don't loathe tradeskilling). Velks probably has some XP groups, though pathing in there with pets is always interesting and the XP is typically not as fast as comparable Kunark and Classic zones. There used to be a lot of pick up groups in Kael for the Thurg quest armor, but I'm not sure if that's still a thing. You could potentially join one of the more casual raid guilds to get in on more of the content as well.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

DeathSandwich posted:

Warriors are kind of a hard class to play especially as your first. They are *the* prototypical gear dependent class and are kind of not great if you don't have someone feeding you twink gear. They also kind of have the least going on in terms of buttons to hit, no spells, kick/bash once every 10 seconds and taunt every 4-5. If you don't have the gear to be able to snap hate (i.e. mostly weapons with stuns or DoT procs) you'll have a not especially great time. Paladins and Shadowknights tend to be better exp group tanks in the lower gear/level areas because they have access to snap hate in the form of their magic stuns/dots and such while still retaining 95% of the same gear availability and access to taunt/bash.

Also for what it's worth, both Paladins and SKs solo better. It's still not great compared to the true soloers like Druids/necros, but they have tools available to keep themselves healthy (Self heals/lifetap) and strong (defense buffs / siphon strength), and to get themselves out of poo poo if things go pear shaped (Divine intervention / feign death)

Either way, find yourself a shaman or cleric friend to duo with and proceed to always have a group wherever you go because healer/tank is the core of a group and you can just pick up any old stragglers and usually make things happen.

Yeah after I played a bit I read a little and saw that and started rethinking what I play. I played bard for a little while a long while back and I enjoyed being able to do like everything and be very self-sufficient but I started realizing that it was going to be a nightmare managing mechanics later. I might switch to paladin or SK. I'm kind of resistant to being a druid because there's bunches of them but I might just do it anyway because I'm probably not going to be playing regularly so soloing would be good.

The important question is, do I get to turn into a bear or have a bear friend if I'm a druid? That is probably the deciding factor.

Edit: Also I hear Warrior is more a raiding class and I hear raiding on here is a nightmare zone that no sane person should ever attempt.

Glagha fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Feb 5, 2018

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Druids get a bear pet, though they're not very remarkable. They can also charm animals.

Shaman get an actual bear form.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Something I've been curious about with EQ is I know corpse runs are a thing, but what would happen if you lost a unique item like an epic or something because you didn't retrieve your corpse in the window? Is it just gone forever? Do you have to redo the quest to get another one or something? Is the answer "Don't lose your corpse, idiot"?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
By the time you get to the point that you have multiple unique items at risk, you'll have a pretty generous corpse retrieval window (something like 7+ days). And worse comes to worse I think you can petition a gm and they can recover you from a corpse rot.

Edit : druids can turn themselves and their party into wolves. They can also turn themselves into a tree.

Not a treent like WoW . Like an actual, immobile tree. I think it gives mana regen.

Edit 2:

quote:

Yeah after I played a bit I read a little and saw that and started rethinking what I play. I played bard for a little while a long while back and I enjoyed being able to do like everything and be very self-sufficient but I started realizing that it was going to be a nightmare managing mechanics later. I might switch to paladin or SK. I'm kind of resistant to being a druid because there's bunches of them but I might just do it anyway because I'm probably not going to be playing regularly so soloing would be good.

Druids are good and fun even if they are overpopulated. People assume you're going to be stuck in a friendless groupless solo ghetto, but they actually bring a good amount of utility to groups. They can't nuke like a wizard, buff like a shaman, debuff like an enchanter, or heal like a cleric, but they can switch gears pretty effortlessly, and they have an actually quite reasonable amount of mana regen self buffing to keep them on their feet longer. The mobility they provide is second only to a Bard (or better, if you factor in evacuate and teleports) and they help compliment everyone else in the party in some way. You won't be able to main heal a group unless you're tag teaming with another druid or shaman, but regen really helps cut down on spot healing that the cleric needs to do and keeps him in the fight longer.

If you want to roll with someone who is group friendly but also a competent soloer, Mages and Enchanters both fit the bill (Mages moreso early, it gets harder and harder at the higher levels and later expansions - Enchanters moreso later as your charms last longer and are resisted less and you have more available "Oh poo poo" buttons). Wizards *can* quad kite, but pre-Luclin that have some serious issues that will never be corrected for Project 99 and you will pretty much always be viewed as grouping herpes that casts one spell and then needs a nap if you don't immediately pull aggro and get turned into a brightly colored grease spot. Wizards are kind of a "Necessary to have one or two" class for raids if you ever want to do Sky or Hate though.

If you have a consistent duos partner and want something more fight flavored, monks actually work pretty well. You can get decent to good monk only twink weapons (Master Wu's Trance Stick, Ykeshan War Club, Wu's Quivering Staff) for shockingly cheap and you can use a shaman duo partner to carry all your poo poo to keep under your weight limits. Mage duo strangely enough kind of works to feed you nonstop bandages (and throwing knives, and 100% weight reduction bags, ect) since Monks are one of the few classes to really be able to use Bind Wound to it's full potential but you'll need to use smart use of feign death and mage pet rotations later on without a primary source of healing. You'll only occasionally kill yourself with failed mends and at that only when you're under 100 skill. If you are lucky enough to ever inherit a fungi tunic, a Monk or a Shaman is just about the best way to put it to use.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Feb 5, 2018

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Glagha posted:

Something I've been curious about with EQ is I know corpse runs are a thing, but what would happen if you lost a unique item like an epic or something because you didn't retrieve your corpse in the window? Is it just gone forever? Do you have to redo the quest to get another one or something? Is the answer "Don't lose your corpse, idiot"?
On live EQ, you're usually hosed if you don't get your body back in a week. As mentioned above, on p99 corpse retrieval is extremely fast and easy for the staff (literally one command in game and then click on a link to summon), and it's one of the few things that even the most junior level guides can do. You do have to wait for your body to decay before they'll get it for you, which takes a week once you're over level 5 or 6 or something, I forget.

And honestly, there's not many places early on where a higher level goon can't help you out with a CR - just ask.

That said, don't forget to bind close to where you're fighting when possible to minimize downtime from corpse runs.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

DeathSandwich posted:

Edit : druids can turn themselves and their party into wolves. They can also turn themselves into a tree.

Not a treent like WoW . Like an actual, immobile tree. I think it gives mana regen.

Health regen. 5 HP per tick, which is every 6 seconds.

Enchanters get Minor Illusion at level 1 which is also a really funny spell. It makes you immobile, like Treeform, but changes you into a copy of a nearby object. So you can become a barrel, a kiln, a tent... basically anything. Was especially funny on a PVP server, where you'd ambush someone and they'd have a hell of a time figuring out where your attacks came from unless they saw your casting graphic. Was also safer to use that spell to hide and regen or go AFK than invisibility when your main worry is being attacked by players, because every player had See Invisible up 24/7 if they were able.

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Feb 5, 2018

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Level 9 and loaded up on some HP items which makes me a little less of a ween. Maybe I'll get Charm tomorrow! ...Maybe things will speed up then.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's dumb but casting Bind on myself for the first time gave me a bigger since of satisfaction than I've felt in an MMO in awhile.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

Dick Burglar posted:

Enchanters get Minor Illusion at level 1 which is also a really funny spell. It makes you immobile, like Treeform, but changes you into a copy of a nearby object. So you can become a barrel, a kiln, a tent... basically anything. Was especially funny on a PVP server, where you'd ambush someone and they'd have a hell of a time figuring out where your attacks came from unless they saw your casting graphic. Was also safer to use that spell to hide and regen or go AFK than invisibility when your main worry is being attacked by players, because every player had See Invisible up 24/7 if they were able.

The trick was to drop one copper and then cast Minor Illusion.

There's some proper weird spells in this game. Does p99 have Sentinel? A level 4 enchanter spell, I think, that would create a sphere of light around you and notify you of entities moving around in it. Because, you know, you were blind to the world while meditating. Only thing was that it was low level and cheap and you could just keep casting it until the particle effects started to lag, and eventually even could crash, the whole zone.

FayGate
Oct 5, 2012

Yes it has Sentinel. It even had(no longer can be quested) this sexy piece of poo poo https://wiki.project1999.com/Staff_of_the_Observers

Which I have used to wipe raids with due to the lag messing up complete heal chains. :)

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

DeathSandwich posted:

People assume you're going to be stuck in a friendless groupless solo ghetto

and if you play a Wizard, they would be correct.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

cmdrk posted:

and if you play a Wizard, they would be correct.

I mained wizard back in the day. I remember being pubbie repellent back in velious era. It wasn't so bad for me because I had a guild that I eventually raided with that would let me tag along in exp groups. Thankfully, Luclin dropped right around the time I was level 40 and it really brought wizards from pug AIDS to actually competent and wanted. They gained significant amounts of staying power with the mana regen from the familiar, a good amount of lower damage but incredibly highly mana efficient nukes that kept you doing stuff longer and didn't drop a big hate spike on you, innate spell crit like warriors with the ability to buff it beyond mages/necros/chanters.

Also Manashock. Manashock was so amazing back in the day before the nerf. 5-6 co-ordinated manashocks from 5-6 wizards = dead overworld boss. Maybe add a pal/sk to the mix to soak a couple of shots while the wizards were casting. Manashock squads could rove the world and gank dragons like you would not believe.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"
Wizards wait a little longer to port and evac groups, but coming from a person who played warrior for years then switched to a wizard when raid opportunities slowed down, it can be a very fun class. The downtime can be brutal, but that's time I'm not running through extra zones or looking for ports.

Ice Comets are very effective up to Kunark content. Only class that can port groups to Sky/Hate planes (haven't seen the Hate revamp yet).

The class has some redeeming qualities, but once you're grouped you're a burst dps class and definitely a glass cannon if you pull the mob's attention away from a tank for several hits. Same with any pure caster aside from the enchanter really.

The best Hole groups I've been in have been on wizard. Paired with a mage with Call of the Hero, you basically have the ability to bring players in and out of a full group without moving 3-5 players to a zoneline.

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

DeathSandwich posted:

Also Manashock.

Yep Manaburn, and we zapped Sontalak the day before the nerf with 14 wizards. 1 MB'd himself but we still won. :)

My wizard was pretty loving nuts for Luclin through GoD. Owned all the parses unless a fight went past 9-10 mins then necroes would catch up.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Wizards were pretty awesome group additions on vanilla p99 before rain spells got fixed and you had a group that could take advantage of this. Rains currently hit 4 times total and pets can eat these damage instances. Originally they were coded to hit up to 4 targets 3 times each. One or two wizards made mid level groups doing small AE pulls viable, and if you had a mage or druid helping it was even better. It took a good Sk, Pal, or Bard to maintain aggro to some degree while stuff was dying and to avoid moving mobs around too much (you could still hurt yourself if you stood inside the area of effect) but it was way faster xp when it worked. A Bard spam cancelling and playing the AE sleep/mez song was a particularly effective combo.

I like that the server is classic but I really enjoyed taking advantage of that mechanic before it got fixed. Spamming Frost storm in SolB royals and lightning storm in GY groups in MM was amazing.

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
I can't play a wizard on p99, just can't put the luclin genie back in the bottle.

So and so is consumed by the flames of the sun.
Repic delivers a critical blast! (3550)

hydo
Nov 23, 2002

Herv posted:

I can't play a wizard on p99, just can't put the luclin genie back in the bottle.

There's also p2002 which is pretty good. Some zones have major issues still and it seems a bit like the devs are concentrating on fixing bugs in the higher level zones, but it's certainly playable and the player base seems to be growing pretty steadily. MGB kei goes off in regular intervals at the evil bank in PoK. It's fun, but not near as polished as p99.

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

hydo posted:

There's also p2002 which is pretty good. Some zones have major issues still and it seems a bit like the devs are concentrating on fixing bugs in the higher level zones, but it's certainly playable and the player base seems to be growing pretty steadily. MGB kei goes off in regular intervals at the evil bank in PoK. It's fun, but not near as polished as p99.

Hah, just like Sappy MGB's on EQMAC!

Cool, hope ya having fun there.

hydo
Nov 23, 2002

Herv posted:

Hah, just like Sappy MGB's on EQMAC!

Cool, hope ya having fun there.

Oh, no, I was just noting another option. I'll not be distracted from poopsocking the last two levels to 60 on p99.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Wizards were pretty awesome group additions on vanilla p99 before rain spells got fixed and you had a group that could take advantage of this. Rains currently hit 4 times total and pets can eat these damage instances. Originally they were coded to hit up to 4 targets 3 times each. One or two wizards made mid level groups doing small AE pulls viable, and if you had a mage or druid helping it was even better. It took a good Sk, Pal, or Bard to maintain aggro to some degree while stuff was dying and to avoid moving mobs around too much (you could still hurt yourself if you stood inside the area of effect) but it was way faster xp when it worked. A Bard spam cancelling and playing the AE sleep/mez song was a particularly effective combo.

I like that the server is classic but I really enjoyed taking advantage of that mechanic before it got fixed. Spamming Frost storm in SolB royals and lightning storm in GY groups in MM was amazing.

You’re not allowed to login. You’re not allowed to login. You’re not allowed to login. You’re not allowed to login.

Remember this is for your own good, even if I want to join you in logging in.

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

FayGate posted:

Created a discord
https://discord.gg/4XrG9h5

Can we add this to the OP, please?

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

ChairmanMauzer posted:

Can we add this to the OP, please?

You and me hoping anyone reads it, but alright.

iNteg posted:

You’re not allowed to login. You’re not allowed to login. You’re not allowed to login. You’re not allowed to login.

Remember this is for your own good, even if I want to join you in logging in.

:smithicide:

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
double post somehow meh

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Why would either of you want to log in? Oh boy, yet more Vanilla / Kunark / Velious.

DODH just launched on Phinny :D

wazu
Jan 26, 2004

Anybody else specifically love that P99 stops short of Luclin? I hated the Luclin character models so much. And it wasn’t enough that I could turn them off on my end. Knowing that most others used them and what I see is dramatically different than what others did just seemed wrong.

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

wazu posted:

Anybody else specifically love that P99 stops short of Luclin? I hated the Luclin character models so much. And it wasn’t enough that I could turn them off on my end. Knowing that most others used them and what I see is dramatically different than what others did just seemed wrong.

The Luclin models never bothered me all that much. I do kind of wish this server would go to PoP, personally.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

xZAOx posted:

Why would either of you want to log in? Oh boy, yet more Vanilla / Kunark / Velious.

DODH just launched on Phinny :D

I want to roll on agnarr so I can play forever on gloriously locked LDoN content. I’m just looking to buy a geared ranger on redguides and play the parts of PoP I missed.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

pofire tables :swoon:

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

wazu posted:

Yes, they were an abomination and so were the goddamn furry enabling moon cats.

Pretty much everything else about Luclin sucked too excepting a few quests and zones. PoP was a step forward, but it also sealed EQ's path into becoming a theme park MMO with curated content designed to be tackled in particular ways rather than leaving it up to players to discover/abuse mechanics to beat/break encounters. It also removed the grind limit and changed things from "get 60 and chill/roll alts/quest/dick around/help people" to "maybe do that but also keep grinding, you're never done!" which was loving awful. Some particular AAs were good ideas, but most of them were grindbait or enabled lazy/bad players to be lazy/bad with fewer consequences.
:goonsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

Constant posted:

pofire tables :swoon:

God, that was the best on my Necro. IIRC it was something like 16% of an AA per kill.