Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Boo rest mode, I hate being able to play games quickly and conveniently for less power draw than plugging in my microwave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

exquisite tea posted:

Boo rest mode, I hate being able to play games quickly and conveniently for less power draw than plugging in my microwave.

Motherfucking This

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I like rest mode because I pretend my PS4 is sleeping when I do.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

exquisite tea posted:

On the other hand not turning off electronics properly leads to an absurd power consumption worldwide.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/08/science/just-how-much-power-do-your-electronics-use-when-they-are-off.html

quote:

It adds up. About a quarter of all residential energy consumption is used on devices in idle power mode, according to a study of Northern California by the Natural Resources Defense Council. That means that devices that are “off” or in standby or sleep mode can use up to the equivalent of 50 large power plants’ worth of electricity and cost more than $19 billion in electricity bills every year. And there’s an environmental cost: Overall electricity production represents about 37 percent of all carbon dioxide emissions in the United States, one of the main contributors to climate change.

I already flipped my poo poo at Samurai Sanders about this once in this thread (sorry dude, I was rude) but please don't leave your PS4 in rest mode (or whatever equipment really) unless necessary.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

On the other hand not turning off electronics properly leads to an absurd power consumption worldwide.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/08/science/just-how-much-power-do-your-electronics-use-when-they-are-off.html

I already flipped my poo poo at Samurai Sanders about this once in this thread (sorry dude, I was rude) but please don't leave your PS4 in rest mode (or whatever equipment really) unless necessary.

Yeah because energy is finite and it’s all gonna get use- oh wait no we have solar and wind power now this is stupid

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Literally lolling at the hippy scum who think Rest Mode is bad

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah because energy is finite and it’s all gonna get use- oh wait no we have solar and wind power now this is stupid

How much of your energy comes renewable sources?

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Rest mode? More like best mode!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

exquisite tea posted:

Why on earth are you using a microwave? Makes the food taste like crap. I bet you're popping your corn with it too.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Bust Rodd posted:

The lifecycle of your hardware deteriorates on every start-up cycle, ever so slightly. Modern machines offer 'Rest Mode' because suspending the system to minimal power-consumption is easier on things like your Hard Drives, cooling fans, etc than a full restart.

it's not about laziness, that's jut a benefit of the design

I highly doubt rest mode, where the fan is constantly running from my observation, is going to lessen hardware deterioration compared to shutting the PS4 off. Thermal cycles are going to happen either way as soon as you're running a game. If anything, you're shortening the lifespan of the fan and chips (electromigration) at least by running in rest mode.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

Planets already dead cloud

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Renoistic posted:

Why on earth are you using a microwave? Makes the food taste like crap. I bet you're popping your corn with it too.

Look at Fancypants over here

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Bust Rodd posted:

Oh yes, the US power grid. Totally reliant on renewables. And Trump is working overtime to increase its share.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Sorry, I'll turn my PS4 off as soon as my butler brings me my caviar and brandy whilst I recline in the study in my cavernous mansion

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Pablo Gigante posted:

Sorry, I'll turn my PS4 off as soon as my butler brings me my caviar and brandy whilst I recline in the study in my cavernous mansion

Is that where you study the newest issue of Game Informer?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Pablo Gigante posted:

Your butler doesn't turn the ps4 off for you? 🤔

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Renoistic posted:

popping your corn

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Microwave? Heh *boils Cup Noodles in $300 Le Creuset dutch oven*

Cheshire Puss
Sep 14, 2007

Only the insane equate pain with success.

Tenkaris posted:

My PS4 is randomly not waking up from rest mode now. Neither controller or front button seem to do the trick, but once I disconnect it from power and reconnect, it will boot up then.

:iiam:

This happened to me last year. Rest mode was essentially a coma that it could never recover from. I put up with it for about 6 months and then it just stopped powering on at all. So odds are the power supply is starting to die.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Sweet tapdancing christ, the SotC remake is gorgeous :magical:.

I love that the loading icon is a little animated pencil sketch of Wander holding the sword up to the light :allears:

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Jokes on all of you because I AM the Butler.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

This thread has the best derails.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
*doesn't leave PS4 on rest mode due to energy consumption fears*

*has children*

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I use rest mode all the time. It owns. Pick up my controller and boom, I'm in the game.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

i leave it on rest mode because spending more money on electricity supports the economy

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
Does anybody know anything about Tokyo Xanadu EX? Trailer makes it look pretty fun.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

I got a PS4 for Christmas, and the first time I powered up from rest mode and jumped right back into a game without launching it I genuinely felt like I'd just encountered some kind of sorcery.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Didn't think being environmentally conscious was so edgy but hey, whatever works to not change ones habits ever so slightly right ? :thumbsup:

Anyway I just got an e-mail from Sony regarding that "get achievements > receive store credits" promotion (We are playstation) it turns out you have to take screenshots of your achievements and post them on their crap social website to get credit. In 2018.

Brings back some fond memories of the nineties when you could mail your top scores at Mario Kart to get credit on your favorite magazine.

Sassy Sasquatch fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Feb 9, 2018

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

Didn't think being environmentally conscious was so edgy but hey, whatever works to not change ones habits ever so slightly right ? :thumbsup:

Lol.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

My favorite part is the sentence you quoted and how he decided to go back and edit the smiley in because it wasn't quite obnoxious enough

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Fight me.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Individual consumption choices have basically no effect in a capitalist society. If it makes you feel better that's cool, if you want to start a movement to get people to lower their energy usage that's even better, but me turning off my PS4 isn't gonna do poo poo overall

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Pablo Gigante posted:

Individual consumption choices have basically no effect in a capitalist society. If it makes you feel better that's cool, if you want to start a movement to get people to lower their energy usage that's even better, but me turning off my PS4 isn't gonna do poo poo overall

Your apathy is what feeds the capitalist machine :downsbravo:

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Pablo Gigante posted:

I deeply disagree but that's really not a conversation for this topic. (or forum even) The microwave derail was at least funny so I'll drop it. (I'll be happy to have this conversation in PM though)

Olive! posted:

My favorite part is the sentence you quoted and how he decided to go back and edit the smiley in because it wasn't quite obnoxious enough

My edit was about the next sentence, the first one was obnoxious from the start. Sorry ! :v:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Sakurazuka posted:

The guy speed running it at AGDQ this year also died to TOR, but it's harder when you don't bother to take out the fireballers first

I am glad that I share one thing in common with the speedrun! Yeah I also died to the arcane explosion, when it happened I slapped myself because the tell on that is like 5 seconds long

morallyobjected posted:

I know people joked about it but Knack has:

Arrow traps
Hidden pit traps you'll probably die to at least once
Enemies that spell almost certain death if you engage them in groups instead of picking them off one by one
Important dodge mechanics
Bosses with no checkpoints (and sparse checkpointing at times regularly anyway)
Situations that seem like guaranteed deaths the first time around until you can figure out the right strategy
The ability to die in the tutorial area if you aren't taking it seriously because the enemies will kill you in like two guys

it truly is the Bloodborne/Souls of the children's platformer/brawler genre

I know, right? I have been saying this since 2014!

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Anything I should know before I start Resident Evil 7. I don't have PSVR and I'm a huge pussy when it comes to scary games. The last RE I played through was 4.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

fridge corn posted:

Your apathy is what feeds the capitalist machine :downsbravo:

It's the blood of the workers actually

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Someone found out what collecting all the coins in SotC does it unlocks that door in the shrine and gives you... a new sword

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Housh posted:

Anything I should know before I start Resident Evil 7. I don't have PSVR and I'm a huge pussy when it comes to scary games. The last RE I played through was 4.

Think carefully about your dealbreakers for long-term relationships