Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

a mysterious cloak posted:

This article and any like it tend to unnerve the hell out of me. Read, and totter on the edge of a yawning abyss.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Future_of_an_expanding_universe

I watched some show a few years back (The Universe, I think?) and they talked about this and how all the stars would die and the galaxies would spread further away and eventually it would be total darkness and black holes would destroy everything. Even though it won't affect me at all, it gave me a serious case of existential dread for a little bit afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

There's some debate over Landauer's principle but unless someone finds a real counterargument against it, it implies that there's a point near the heat death of the universe where computation is no longer possible. This means that even trillions of years of technological development will not be able to produce a machine that sustains uploaded consciousness past the heat death of the universe, or some other sci-fi technobabble solution for living beyond that point.

I'm okay with this because I'm okay with the delete button eventually being pressed on our universe

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

fruit on the bottom posted:

Yeah, but that’s like hundreds of quintillions of years before the stars die. I don’t want to do the math right now, but we’re basically still at 0% of the lifetime of the universe. The Earth won’t even support life in 3 billion years (even sooner if we have anything to say about it), and then Andromeda is going to show up uninvited anyway soon after that, so humanity will be log dead and forgotten before we get anywhere close to that.

Unless we're inside a false vacuum, or are hit by a random gamma ray burst

Are existential risks unnerving? http://exitmundi.nl/exitmundi.htm

xtal has a new favorite as of 22:44 on Feb 8, 2018

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

xtal posted:

Unless we're inside a false vacuum, or are hit by a random gamma ray burst

Are existential risks unnerving? http://exitmundi.nl/exitmundi.htm

Man, I wish exitmundi still updated or had updated in the last 10 years. I loved that site.

Yeah, false vacuum would be right deadly to everything, but a Gamma Ray burst would just fry whatever it hit (like our entire planet). The rest of the universe would be aces.

I look forward to heat death. It's nice that something born in chaos, explosions, and fire will end in peace, quiet, and darkness.

Edit: and also nice to put our problems in perspective. This entire planet and all of our stupid poo poo from the beginning to the end will just be gone.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I find stuff like that fascinating and kind of love it to be honest. Trying to imagine the vastness of the universe spreading out so fine that nothing exists anymore is pretty awesome.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Solice Kirsk posted:

Sleepaway Camp was pretty great. I never saw the sequels though.

I enjoyed the first film, and enjoyed both sequels (which get mixed reviews) even though, bafflingly: the main character gets a sex change before Part II, so the entire gimmick of "whoa, this little chick is actually a traumatized guy raised as a girl" goes completely out the window. So by Part II the villain is basically just a woman who likes killing campers, though overall I'm satisfied with the results. Though arguably this is problematic because the villain of Part I isn't necessarily trans, if anything he's a cis-male who is experiencing gender dysphoria living as a woman. So, I dunno, was giving her gender reassignment surgery just tripling-down on trauma, and her sequel-spanning murder rampage is the result?

EDIT: great, all y'all are talking about the expanding universe so I look like a schmuck pontificating about 80s horror films. gently caress y'all. :colbert:

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

In the case of the character, it’s because nobody else believed that he had gender dysphoria. He had something that presented very similarly, but the root cause was childhood abuse so presumably they would have suggested therapy as a better treatment.

Sleepaway! That’s the one I was forgetting

hoo boy that sounds like the kind of thing that's been told to several of my trans friends when they talked to doctors

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
My understanding is that gender re-assignment surgery is still an emergent field and quality of both psychological examination for preparedness and the results of the surgery itself vary wildly; my limited exposure to the concept also suggests that many or most psychologists will view ANY diagnosable condition as a preclusion for recommendation, up to and including anxiety or depression (which might be compounded by gender dysphoria). In at least some places, it is apparently very, very difficult to get the greenlight for surgery even if you've lived for years as your preferred gender, which I guess shouldn't be surprising when you consider psychology is still struggling with crackpots and quacks to this very day and most in psychological fields want to treat potential ethical issues EXTREMELY gingerly, and such surgery isn't something you can readily undo.

E: That's not to say that it wouldn't suck to be stuck in that position and be surrounded by professionals telling you 'no we can't do that', it's just that I'm not especially surprised by the difficulty and complexity of the issue either.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

I enjoyed the first film, and enjoyed both sequels (which get mixed reviews) even though, bafflingly: the main character gets a sex change before Part II, so the entire gimmick of "whoa, this little chick is actually a traumatized guy raised as a girl" goes completely out the window. So by Part II the villain is basically just a woman who likes killing campers, though overall I'm satisfied with the results. Though arguably this is problematic because the villain of Part I isn't necessarily trans, if anything he's a cis-male who is experiencing gender dysphoria living as a woman. So, I dunno, was giving her gender reassignment surgery just tripling-down on trauma, and her sequel-spanning murder rampage is the result?

EDIT: great, all y'all are talking about the expanding universe so I look like a schmuck pontificating about 80s horror films. gently caress y'all. :colbert:

All three of those movies were better than they had any right to be, especially the first one.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Kanine posted:

hoo boy that sounds like the kind of thing that's been told to several of my trans friends when they talked to doctors

Yeah, I’m not terribly surprised to hear it. I love the movie but if people come away not buying the explanations and thinking that for all the dialogue insisting he isn’t really trans Buffalo Bill still functionally exists as one in the narrative and in the public consciousness, I can see the reasoning for it.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Yeah, I’m not terribly surprised to hear it. I love the movie but if people come away not buying the explanations and thinking that for all the dialogue insisting he isn’t really trans Buffalo Bill still functionally exists as one in the narrative and in the public consciousness, I can see the reasoning for it.

yeah media that portrays a serial killer as a trans person/cross dresser and then makes a vague attempt to handwave the person as not *technically* being trans still isnt going to have a great effect towards making trans people feel better about themselves or helping trans visibility tbh

Kanine has a new favorite as of 00:43 on Feb 9, 2018

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

quote:

The inquest heard that two days before Handley died in 2012, medics removed 10kg of faeces from his bowels. That turned out to be just a small amount of the total in his body: the postmortem revealed that much more had become impacted in his bowel.

They took out 22lbs of poo poo and didn’t notice the rest??? Jesus that’s such a terrible way to spend your last moments.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

I think Elise the Great had a similar (less extreme) patient, she eventually managed to get him loosened up.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Someone post that old timey article about the doctor that dug out pounds of undigested wheat from a dudes butt using cooking oil and a spoon handle!

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Solice Kirsk posted:

Someone post that old timey article about the doctor that dug out pounds of undigested wheat from a dudes butt using cooking oil and a spoon handle!

Oh you mean this one? Link is vaguely Not Safe for Life, but unlike many of the old medical cases described on that site this one at least had a positive (if gross) outcome.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Oh you mean this one? Link is vaguely Not Safe for Life, but unlike many of the old medical cases described on that site this one at least had a positive (if gross) outcome.
That's why you always use a flared base.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
That's why you always use amyl nitrite

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
Woman got raped with a car jack.
http://www.ibtimes.co.in/russia-teen-rapes-woman-inserts-car-jack-inside-her-that-tore-out-her-womb-759643
I didn't know what a car jack was before I googled it and I wish I hadn't.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Sarcopenia posted:

http://www.ibtimes.co.in/russia-teen-rapes-woman-inserts-car-jack-inside-her-that-tore-out-her-womb-759643

quote:

The attacker confessed to his crime to the police. Sapogova died after the attacker inserted a car jack inside her vagina and opened it. During the interrogation, it was revealed that Cheshko tore off the victim's clothes brutally harming her.

Seems weird to use the adjective "brutally" for tearing off the clothes instead of inserting and expanding a large hunk of metal into a woman.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Holy gently caress, I really hope aliens fire a planet-cracker at us.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Sarcopenia posted:

How on earth did you not know what a jack was?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

chernobyl kinsman posted:

Probably either really young, like 15 or 16, or someone who has always lived in a city where owning a car isn't necessary.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I'd also like to know this.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Not everyone lives in a car-dependent cul-de-sac.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Loucks posted:

Not everyone lives in a car-dependent cul-de-sac.

To be fair, it's not always about being a suburbanite, a lot of people live in rural areas where you really can't function without having a car or a truck.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Technically yes, but not that many by population, really. Although the suburbians just love to pretend they’re “country” in pursuit of some twisted version of rugged individualism that never really existed.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Tears for Fears posted:

This is the “unnerving article or story” thread. The one that is currently referencing multiple dead baby subjects in its title. And you are all pissing yourself in reaction to someone disagreeing with you over transsexuals out there in the web.

You are seriously unnerving.

gently caress you, chump, pointing out that a terf site is probably not a reliable source of information is the least anyone could do re terfs

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I’m a hapless idiot millienial who drives daily, I’ve made probably a dozen solo drives between Texas and Ontario and a few from the NYC area to the southwest, and I don’t know what a car jack looks like or how to use one. Can’t change a tire, or my oil. I can jump a battery and that’s about it. In tyool 2018 it is pretty loving rare for you to ever need to do any car maintenance yourself.

Unnerving eh?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I’m a hapless idiot millienial who drives daily, I’ve made probably a dozen solo drives between Texas and Ontario and a few from the NYC area to the southwest, and I don’t know what a car jack looks like or how to use one. Can’t change a tire, or my oil. I can jump a battery and that’s about it. In tyool 2018 it is pretty loving rare for you to ever need to do any car maintenance yourself.

Unnerving eh?

It's just a privilege that's all. You have enough resources that you can have a AAA membership, and you can pay someone to change your oil for you. So that's the reason you rarely need to do it yourself, you can pay others to do it for you. Not everyone has that luxury.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Someone hurry up and kill some cereal so this thread can stop sucking rear end.

No one on this forum, just report the dead cereal. Also if Peter Thiel does SOMEHOW.

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

Pick posted:

Someone hurry up and kill some cereal so this thread can stop sucking rear end.

No one on this forum, just report the dead cereal. Also if Peter Thiel does SOMEHOW.

I'll kill for you Pick

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Trigger warning: child rape and murder with really creepy aspects, skip if that's going to... unnerve you.

The murder of June Anne Devaney in Lancashire in 1948 is pretty drat unnerving, but also important to forensic history for being the first murder case cracked by mass-fingerprinting an area.

On 15 May 1948, June Anne was at Queen's Park hospital in Blackburn recovering from pneumonia; she was a month shy of four years old.

Lots of cinema-esque ominous details in the story, but around 1am a nurse noticed that a draft was going through the ward, and it turned out to be because the door to the outside was ajar. While going to close it, the nurse noted adult-sized stocking footprints on the freshly-waxed floor, and *cold shivers* the footprints showed the visitor had crept up to each bed in the ward to check out each child patient. The nurse made a quick survey of the room and found that June Anne was missing. No chance the kid had just popped out; the side of her cot was still latched up, so someone had clearly lifted her out. Further, a large glass IV bottle had been moved from one part of the room to another for some reason. The cops showed up, and found June Anne's body by a boundary wall 100yds away from the ward, covered in blood and with multiple skull fractures. Investigation was to show that she'd been raped, and then killed by the attacker swinging her by her feet to smash her head into the wall repeatedly.

The cops kicked off an investigation, and found a promising clue in that a cabbie had picked up a young man, with a local accent, just down the road from the hospital shortly after the attack. That wasn't much to work with, but then someone picked up on the out-of-place IV bottle; they took all the prints off it they could, and laboriously eliminated all prints belonging to staff in the building until they found one set of prints that belonged to a total stranger. Given that the attacker seemed familiar with the area, and the cabbie's testimony, the cops made the ambitious decision to fingerprint every single male over 16 who lived in or was visiting Blackburn on the night of the murder. Over 46,000 sets of fingerprints were taken, and when the police had almost completely exhausted the stack (only 200-some cards left to check) they found a match in a 22yr old flour mill worker named Peter Griffiths. The prints matched, and at the time of the murder his niece had been staying in the same hospital.

Griffiths initially denied any involvement, but when told about his prints on the IV bottle, gave up saying "Well, if they are my fingerprints on the bottle, I'll tell you all about it." The case was further made when the cops found a pawn ticket for a suit in his pocket, picked up the suit and matched the blood to June Anne, and fibre fragments to the windowsill and to the girl's nightdress. He confessed to the murder, but "didn't want to talk about" the sexual aspects, though *more creepy detail* he described how June Anne had trusted him when he lifted her out of bed, and wrapped her arms around his neck as he carried her out to the yard. He had no explanation for the murder other than he was really, really drunk and had gotten angry when she started crying. And the bottle that had been his whole undoing? He'd picked it up as he entered the room, since it was nice and heavy and he figured he could use it as a weapon if any staff walked in on him. Though he showed no remorse, his closing statement at his trial finished with "I hope I get what I deserve." He was hanged at Liverpool Prison in November of 1948.

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

Though he showed no remorse, his closing statement at his trial finished with "I hope I get what I deserve." He was hanged at Liverpool Prison in November of 1948.

drat. Just super casual about abducting and raping a toddler then smashing her head in. In stories like these, it’s the attitude of the perpetrator that’s makes it extra creepy.

Here’s some good old-fashioned entitled-prick-slaughtering-the-woman-who-dared-to-reject-him news:

quote:

The pair met on Tinder and dated for seven months but university student Ms McLaren ended their relationship just under two weeks before her death.

He stabbed her over 75 times.

Jeremy_X
Jul 27, 2006

Solice Kirsk posted:

Seems weird to use the adjective "brutally" for tearing off the clothes instead of inserting and expanding a large hunk of metal into a woman.

Maybe the piece of poo poo was really gentle during that part. Possibly even apologetic.

Or maybe the writer is just not good at their job.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Busket Posket posted:

drat. Just super casual about abducting and raping a toddler then smashing her head in. In stories like these, it’s the attitude of the perpetrator that’s makes it extra creepy.

No basis in anything, but I'm kinda envisioning it having an aspect of "c'mon guys, I was really, really, really drunk. See?"

I dunno, I've done a few impulsive and/or dumb things while drunk, but they're more along the lines of "making inflammatory political statements just to be a dick" or "forget to close out my tab". Not so much "murder a toddler".

I get that alcohol can really lower your inhibitions, but that presumes some existing impulse to do a given act, right? It's not like the guy turned a corner and bumped into the kid, he invaded a hospital looking for a child to attack. It leads to the disturbing question: what percentage of people out there have these kind of extremely horrible impulses, but just have decent impulse control, and/or pass out drunk before they can execute a complex rape-murder strategy?

That's what gets me too about all these serial killers who have accomplices. If somehow I suddenly decided that serial killing sounded like the most fun thing in the world, I can't think of how I'd even begin to pitch that to anyone I know, much less think of a friend who'd be a great candidate to pitch in. How does that even come up while you're having a beer? Is it kind of like pitching a threesome to your girlfriend, where you vaguely mention that some people do that and "isn't that crazy!" but then if she doesn't freak out you start sliding into "we'd never do this of course, but your old roommate is really hot" and then just keep inching into a proposition?

I guess I've gotten about as good a glimpse as folks can, per my post a couple pages back about the two wannabe serial killers I knew in the Marines who are still in jail. Presumably they somehow broached the subject together and found a mutual impulse to do something terrible.

Again, it's weird to imagine what a huge delight and relief it must be for them to find a likeminded homicidal maniac. You know, some moment of "holy poo poo dude, I was so worried you were going to flip out, but apparently we're on the same page so I guess let's go get a panel van and some pliers and start cruising!"

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
One of my favorite episodes of Elementary has that premise, sort of. It's that there's a horrible piece of poo poo guy, he's a divorced abusive monster who keeps domestic slaves and stuff. And they find his ex-wife to interview her, and she loving hates him. But later they discover she and he worked together on serial killery kind of stuff and she was the accomplice (and still kept a domestic slave herself). They still hated each other and broke up, just not over that :v:

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

I know what the actual thing is and does but English isn't my first language so when I read the headline I was thinking "So he inserted a cable into her or something? That's horrifying!". Nope worse.
I also live in a big city in a tiny country so people just ride their bikes around. But why would it be so weird not to know? Do you live in a very car reliant area?

Also we call it a Donkraft which is way cooler.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

Trigger warning: child rape and murder with really creepy aspects, skip if that's going to... unnerve you.

The murder of June Anne Devaney in Lancashire in 1948 is pretty drat unnerving, but also important to forensic history for being the first murder case cracked by mass-fingerprinting an area.

On 15 May 1948, June Anne was at Queen's Park hospital in Blackburn recovering from pneumonia; she was a month shy of four years old.

Lots of cinema-esque ominous details in the story, but around 1am a nurse noticed that a draft was going through the ward, and it turned out to be because the door to the outside was ajar. While going to close it, the nurse noted adult-sized stocking footprints on the freshly-waxed floor, and *cold shivers* the footprints showed the visitor had crept up to each bed in the ward to check out each child patient. The nurse made a quick survey of the room and found that June Anne was missing. No chance the kid had just popped out; the side of her cot was still latched up, so someone had clearly lifted her out. Further, a large glass IV bottle had been moved from one part of the room to another for some reason. The cops showed up, and found June Anne's body by a boundary wall 100yds away from the ward, covered in blood and with multiple skull fractures. Investigation was to show that she'd been raped, and then killed by the attacker swinging her by her feet to smash her head into the wall repeatedly.

The cops kicked off an investigation, and found a promising clue in that a cabbie had picked up a young man, with a local accent, just down the road from the hospital shortly after the attack. That wasn't much to work with, but then someone picked up on the out-of-place IV bottle; they took all the prints off it they could, and laboriously eliminated all prints belonging to staff in the building until they found one set of prints that belonged to a total stranger. Given that the attacker seemed familiar with the area, and the cabbie's testimony, the cops made the ambitious decision to fingerprint every single male over 16 who lived in or was visiting Blackburn on the night of the murder. Over 46,000 sets of fingerprints were taken, and when the police had almost completely exhausted the stack (only 200-some cards left to check) they found a match in a 22yr old flour mill worker named Peter Griffiths. The prints matched, and at the time of the murder his niece had been staying in the same hospital.

Griffiths initially denied any involvement, but when told about his prints on the IV bottle, gave up saying "Well, if they are my fingerprints on the bottle, I'll tell you all about it." The case was further made when the cops found a pawn ticket for a suit in his pocket, picked up the suit and matched the blood to June Anne, and fibre fragments to the windowsill and to the girl's nightdress. He confessed to the murder, but "didn't want to talk about" the sexual aspects, though *more creepy detail* he described how June Anne had trusted him when he lifted her out of bed, and wrapped her arms around his neck as he carried her out to the yard. He had no explanation for the murder other than he was really, really drunk and had gotten angry when she started crying. And the bottle that had been his whole undoing? He'd picked it up as he entered the room, since it was nice and heavy and he figured he could use it as a weapon if any staff walked in on him. Though he showed no remorse, his closing statement at his trial finished with "I hope I get what I deserve." He was hanged at Liverpool Prison in November of 1948.

Reading this in TYOOL2018, all I can see is "forensics" that don't actually work as advertised, and a forced confession of an impoverished manual laborer. Note that when asked about certain details, he "doesn't want to talk about it" or was drunk.

Is that the unnerving part?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

nocal posted:

Reading this in TYOOL2018, all I can see is "forensics" that don't actually work as advertised, and a forced confession of an impoverished manual laborer. Note that when asked about certain details, he "doesn't want to talk about it" or was drunk.

Is that the unnerving part?

I see we’re getting hot takes from the Well Akshully crowd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

EDIT: I made a joke here that was weirdly confrontational and I regret it. Instead I’d like to make a request. Does anyone have any unnerving submarine stories?

Ariong has a new favorite as of 08:39 on Feb 10, 2018