Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

letthereberock posted:

Maybe it’s because of how depressing the real world has become with terrible people getting everything they want - but drat it, I like it when villains KNOW they’ve been beaten! I want them to have their faces rubbed in defeat, I want them to know in no uncertain terms that they’re hosed and that everything they’ve worked for has crumbled into dust.

Agreed. Hell, Gul Dukat knew it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDpxuWj2A7o

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

muscles like this! posted:

An annoying thing is that Highlander has a whole scene about how the katana is a whole lot older than it should be and absolutely nothing comes of it.

When they find a chipped bit of his sword in a sliced parking lot pillar and do tests on it, the chip isn’t tiny, it’s like the size of a cigarette butt - not the sort of thing that’s going to buff out with a whetstone and some elbow grease.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The sword is also immortal

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Tunicate posted:

The sword is also immortal

Don’t Lose Your Head Edge

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
The Cloverfield Paradox had a lot of this poo poo. My wife and I predicted every single "surprise" in the movie, and we're not brilliant. It was just that predictable.

Most of my problems with it were entirely rational, but one irrational thing is this meme that exposure to space flash freezes you. It's not even more dramatic! Someone horrifyingly asphyxiating slowly is way worse than instantly freezing to death. This movie was so dumb that the freezing makes big icicles the other characters have to jump back out of the way of... so dumb.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
When two people go to a restaurant and only one of them orders food. This happens several times in Breaking Bad but I've seen it in movies too. In real life if only one person is hungry in a group they usually just get takeout or something, not go to a sitdown restaurant.

I don't know why it irritates me but I can't stop thinking about how awkward it would be for both parties. One person has to sit there in near silence (or have a pretty one sided conversation), the other has to eat while being stared at which I would imagine would make me feel rushed so the other person doesn't get bored.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

yeah I eat rear end posted:

When two people go to a restaurant and only one of them orders food.

Or when they order food, they take like two bites and then the meal is over. The only example I can think of right now is Pulp Fiction where Vincent has maybe 1/12th of his steak and then is done.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Sand Monster posted:

Or when they order food, they take like two bites and then the meal is over. The only example I can think of right now is Pulp Fiction where Vincent has maybe 1/12th of his steak and then is done.

I was actually going to mention exactly that too but I couldn't think of an example off the top of my head.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

Or when you have two people having a conversation in a restaurant- and the scene starts with the food already on the table, but one character will say something like “so how are you doing?” or something that implies that the conversation just started. That means that between ordering and the food arriving, the two characters just sat in silence and looked at each other awkwardly.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

Sand Monster posted:

I read somewhere that ever since then, Tarantino goes out of his way to have more realistic eating/drinking in scenes just to show off an ability to sync it up.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

letthereberock posted:

Or when you have two people having a conversation in a restaurant- and the scene starts with the food already on the table, but one character will say something like “so how are you doing?” or something that implies that the conversation just started. That means that between ordering and the food arriving, the two characters just sat in silence and looked at each other awkwardly.

The Simpsons has done like a dozen jokes about that by this point.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Sand Monster posted:

Vincent is a smack addict though, maybe his appetite was reduced. He is constipated through the whole movie

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?

When two people go to a restaurant and only one of them orders food. This happens several times in Breaking Bad but I've seen it in movies too. In real life if only one person is hungry in a group they usually just get takeout or something, not go to a sitdown restaurant.

The Breaking Bad examples of this are deliberate. Either showing how Walt has lost his empathy by eating breakfast like someone didn’t just die, or Mike pushing his food over to Jessie because he’s trying to get him clean and to take care of himself.

Or Lydia ordering the hot water and a slice of lemon because a Waffle House doesn’t have Bergamot.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

synthetik posted:

The Breaking Bad examples of this are deliberate. Either showing how Walt has lost his empathy by eating breakfast like someone didn’t just die, or Mike pushing his food over to Jessie because he’s trying to get him clean and to take care of himself.

Or Lydia ordering the hot water and a slice of lemon because a Waffle House doesn’t have Bergamot.

It's pretty heavy handed in those cases which is irritating in itself. Also it was jesse eating the breakfast after the box cutter thing not walt.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Don’t Lose Your Head Edge

Remember, love's stronger
Remember, love walks through walls

letthereberock posted:

That one doesn't really bother me, I can understand people not wanting to start a serious conversation until they've got the ordering and food arriving out of the way.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Sunswipe posted:

That one doesn't really bother me, I can understand people not wanting to start a serious conversation until they've got the ordering and food arriving out of the way.

The 30-40 minutes of waiting is the perfect time during a meal to have a conversation. Having a conversation while both of you are eating sucks unless you are one of those people who talk with their mouth full of food.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I will straight up stop watching a movie or tv show if someone chews with their mouth open. I cannot loving stand that.

Pet peeve I guess, but gently caress it's annoying.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I will straight up stop watching a movie or tv show if someone chews with their mouth open. I cannot loving stand that.

Even if it fits the character?

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

So more of a phobia, then?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Watched The Cloverfield Paradox after the bowl game, and there were a few plot holes, but the only real annoying thing to me was when they decide to decouple the hosed up ring, the captain guy says "We need at least 3 people!" and when they get to the actual ring, it's literally a single gear that needs to be turned. There was nothing left for the other people to do other than just sort of look at him and be witnesses for what amounts to a horrible design flaw.

I was also a bit annoyed at the big reveal of the crashed satellite, because that meant that dude's arm wasn't connected to anything, and how the gently caress did it know the gyro was in the other guy?

Still, light years better than the first one, which I hated.

Plus it had a creepy Event Horizon feel, and I think there needs to be more movies like that.

Cloverfield Paradox had a whole lot more than a few plot holes. I enjoyed it for aspects other than the writing, but there were so many bizarre things in the movie that didn't make any sense. Why did Mundy get sucked into the wall and dragged around? Why did his arm know about the gyro, or even had the sentience to spell it out? Who took Hamilton's role in the Other Universe, if she was still on Earth? Why did Jensen show up in the ship, but no one else? And even so, why was Jensen alive, given that the news report stated that the Cloverfield failed and crashed in the Other universe? And how the gently caress did Hamilton expect to get to Earth from the space station, when it was on the other side of the sun? That would mean going from the Earth, to the sun, and back, which is nearly four times the distance to Mars from Earth.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Nah, not a phobia. I'm not scared of people eating with their mouth open, I just hate it. Fits in with the thread though, I guess.

For the Cloverfield stuff, I can handwave 90% of the plotholes as "WOW PHYSICS IS hosed", but yet that last one was a doozy as well.

Still, liked it way more than the first movie. Man that movie sucked.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I did love that Chris O'dowd was there basically playing his character from the IT Crowd and the crew's solution to the problem was to turn it off and on again.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Nah, not a phobia. I'm not scared of people eating with their mouth open, I just hate it. Fits in with the thread though, I guess.

Phobia is irrational fear or hatred.

If you hate foodmouth enough to never watch any movie with Brad Pitt in it for example, it might qualify.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

There is a scene in The Last Man on Earth where someone eats uncooked frozen pizza with their mouth open into a megaphone.

I drat near killed myself.

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice

The Bloop posted:

Phobia is irrational fear or hatred.

I fixed it for ya.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's not actor specific. I don't suddenly write off the work of an actor completely because they did a movie or tv show where they did that and irritated me.

I just stop watching that episode or movie when it happens and move on to something else, cause gently caress, unless you are like 5 it's not something that should be happening.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

It's not actor specific. I don't suddenly write off the work of an actor completely because they did a movie or tv show where they did that and irritated me.

I just stop watching that episode or movie when it happens and move on to something else, cause gently caress, unless you are like 5 it's not something that should be happening.

Have you considered that it might be a character choice and not a personal failing of the actor

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Since Brad Pitt eats constantly on camera often while speaking I assume you just skip movies with him entirely?

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Imagined posted:

I did love that Chris O'dowd was there basically playing his character from the IT Crowd and the crew's solution to the problem was to turn it off and on again.

I came here to say this. Cloverfield Paradox to me is "that time Roy got aboard the Event Horizon". I'm actually a bit pissed that the plot doesn't go that way apart from a couple of creepy things at the beginning. The "possessed" astronaut, Jensen being partially fused into the walls AND from another universe and the sentient arm were hitting all the right spots, but the second part of the movie is way more classic space thriller than eldricht horror. Apart from the weird animated glue I guess.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

That Italian Guy posted:

I came here to say this. Cloverfield Paradox to me is "that time Roy got aboard the Event Horizon". I'm actually a bit pissed that ...Apart from the weird animated glue I guess.

Yeah wtf was up with that? I thought that the glue was just going to, like, pierce him on its way to the wall, because of the random magnetic field, but instead it decided to try to strangle him or something?. Feels like the writers wanted to write two or three different movies at once and couldn't decide. Each of the parts were good on their own, but together it feels pretty discordant.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Yeah I would've loved less man is the REAL monster and more, y'know actual monsters.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Morpheus posted:

Yeah wtf was up with that? I thought that the glue was just going to, like, pierce him on its way to the wall, because of the random magnetic field, but instead it decided to try to strangle him or something?. Feels like the writers wanted to write two or three different movies at once and couldn't decide. Each of the parts were good on their own, but together it feels pretty discordant.

Yea I wasn thinking the same thing. Seems Oren Uziel wrote a spec script & apparently Bad Robot brought in Doug Jung to tie it into Cloverfield.

Shimmer Lake (written & directed by Uziel) was alright, I thought. Not fantastic but a solid 3/5 & worth watching imo.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
I thought it was a dumb, fun B-movie, but definitely something that has MST3K potential.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Currently lolling at Jetsons: The Movie having George Jetson rapping but apparently no black characters at all.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Do Kiss and Rush go out and pay for themselves to be somehow shoehorned into movies or what? It's usually Kiss and they spend an irritating amount of time talking about how awesome and badass they are (examples: Role Models, Why Him?, or I Love You Man for Rush).

It's not even that they are annoying bands, I'm just tired of them appearing in movies that have little to nothing to do with music and the movie would be practically identical if they just cut out the fanboying parts.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
When films/tv show that a character likes sports by having them quote some obscure trivia/stat from 20 years ago.

Maybe that's how American sports work but stattos are weird nerds to the rest of the world. If the female lead starts talking about how many rushing yards Billy Touchdown made in the 96 playoffs (and how that effected her fantasy team) I'm not sharing male lead's practically-visible "wow, she's pretty cool" thought bubble.

Related irritation: when the female lead is two inches taller in wide shots, and two inches shorter in closeups. It's distracting.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Do Kiss and Rush go out and pay for themselves to be somehow shoehorned into movies or what? It's usually Kiss and they spend an irritating amount of time talking about how awesome and badass they are (examples: Role Models, Why Him?, or I Love You Man for Rush).

It's not even that they are annoying bands, I'm just tired of them appearing in movies that have little to nothing to do with music and the movie would be practically identical if they just cut out the fanboying parts.

I think its just a symptom of movies being made by "auteurs" like Apatow who are 50something out-of-touch lameos

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

With Kiss I would believe it (although they are plot relevant in Role Models) because they will put their brand on literally anything. I can't think of a movie featuring Rush other than ILYM.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Henchman of Santa posted:

(although they are plot relevant in Role Models)

I guess, but it still felt a little forced to have a guy that age be that into Kiss. If that was the only movie in that genre where their name came up or they were actually in it I might be less bothered by it. Or maybe if I actually knew a Kiss superfan I could at least relate to it second-hand.

Anyway I can only think of one other movie than that one with Rush heavily featured but I can't think of the name, just that it was another romantic comedy. Maybe I should just stop watching so many romantic comedies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Scooby-Doo KISS movie is reportedly so much better than it has any right to be, and relatedly is completely insane. KISS literally have magical girl transformation sequences. (just turn it off before the last 10 minutes, apparently)