Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

DizzyBum posted:

Seems like they were afraid that getting too close to the source of the petrification could have done something to them, so they decided to settle on the exact opposite side of the world.

meaning japan, not that particular island.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

meaning japan, not that particular island.

It's were they ended up anyway. The first pod landed off course.

The other three intended to investigate the source but had to go and rescue the others when the pod landed in the ocean.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

It's were they ended up anyway. The first pod landed off course.

The other three intended to investigate the source but had to go and rescue the others when the pod landed in the ocean.

and then they stayed on that island for years!

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
So is Senku gonna have to tech up to literally travel across the entire planet to see the source?

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Fabricated posted:

So is Senku gonna have to tech up to literally travel across the entire planet to see the source?

Time to learn about boats

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

SgtSteel91 posted:

Time to learn about boats

I don't think I can handle another boat arc

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014
Wait, if they formed the village on that remote island, how did Senku get there by foot from where he was released from the petrification? Plate tectonics don't shift that rapidly in such a relatively short time. Maybe his Dad found his statue and brought it back, but that doesn't explain how a bunch of his friends from high school were nearby too.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

just because they landed on an island a thousand or more years ago doesn't mean they or their descendants stayed there forever

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

https://twitter.com/jeffinitelyjeff/status/960608633053642752

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

kidcoelacanth posted:

I"t's a good thing my son isn't related by blood, so we can all feel less weird about people shipping him with my ancestors! We got you, fans."

I paused for a second and thought it an odd thing to say before I realised lmao

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Spacedad best dad. This chapter was amazing. The reasoning behind the 100 stories, the fate of everyone, the ominous bit at the end. And they go out of their way to mention that no, the village ISN'T related to Senku.

"All of us are Senku's relatives?"
"Byakua and I have no blood relation, so I'm just listed on the family tree. Besides, we're hundreds of generations apart. Calling us relatives doesn't mean jack poo poo."

'Generations' are usually around 30ish years apart, so there's 127 generations between Senku and the descendants of his father. We don't even have words for how far back that is.

Good souvenirs though. I'm looking forward to Senku and his group arming up for war. I'm excited for things to be picking up now.

khy fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Feb 8, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

EmmyOk posted:

I paused for a second and thought it an odd thing to say before I realised lmao

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Wait, this actauly feels like its paced well.

What sorcery is this, pacing in a shonen manga?!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

dr stone isn't big enough to worry about pacing problems yet

tho there are some shonen series that it never happens to. can't remember any pacing problems in yu yu hakusho anyway

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Manatee Cannon posted:

dr stone isn't big enough to worry about pacing problems yet

tho there are some shonen series that it never happens to. can't remember any pacing problems in yu yu hakusho anyway

Every time I rewatch YYH I have a tendency to burn out at the end of the Dark Tournament, because Team Urameshi vs Team Toguro kinda drags to me. I either take a break or have to force myself to plow through that chunk of episodes.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
so it turned out that settling down on an island instead of making for the mainland immediately was indeed a terrible dang choice.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the anime adaption of yu yu hakusho's dark tournament arc is pretty slow. it's like a third of the entire run of the show at least

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Bad ending.

All this time I've been dreading Tsukasa showing back up and now it's imminent.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
I really hope that at some point the final goal is going to involve traveling to space to the ISS since it would both match the foreshadowing of space being Senku's ultimate goal and the fact that I'm pretty sure that's how you get a science victory in Civ 5.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Galvanik posted:

Bad ending.

All this time I've been dreading Tsukasa showing back up and now it's imminent.

Maybe Senku will just invent the gun.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Hopeford posted:

I really hope that at some point the final goal is going to involve traveling to space to the ISS since it would both match the foreshadowing of space being Senku's ultimate goal and the fact that I'm pretty sure that's how you get a science victory in Civ 5.

The ISS would have burned up a few years after they've left it. Senku has to make his own and it will be ten billion times better.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I thought the comment that Senku's not related to his dad by blood was hilarious, but then they actually spelled this out for you in case you were still feeling weird about it and I busted out laughing. :allears:

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Stone Wars is going to be loving amazing!

I can't wait to see team science take on team muscle!

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

"It's okay, doujin writers, they're not blood related! Go nuts!"

Fabricated posted:

That's what I'm thinking, and a low-tech travel arc would fit in perfectly for this manga.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

I'm pretty sure Dr. Stone attracts a different type of doujin writers.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

khy posted:

'Generations' are usually around 30ish years apart, so there's 127 generations between Senku and the descendants of his father. We don't even have words for how far back that is.

Yeah, like, I really don't get why people are making a big deal about this. That's more of a difference than any two people alive right now will have.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they are a lot more closely related to their progenitors than the number of generations would suggest because there was no intermarrying outside of the village. it's why every single person there resembles one of the original six.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Can we just do the comfy science adventure thing instead of fighting a Luddite army

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
What about comfy science beating luddites to submission with comfy science?

And whilst we're at it, a new helmet for Suika.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Feb 9, 2018

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

hopeully suika gets a new thematically appropriate helmet with every tech upgrade

looking forward to her astronaut helmet that still shows only the bottom half of her face

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

I still want to see Kinro with a set of thick black nerdy looking glasses.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
get the fight over with now so its not considered the final goal of the manga imo

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
senku's gotta rebuild civilization, travel to the other side of the planet and find the cause of the petrification. one swole luddite teenager with delusions of grandeur is a speed bump.

skullhead tethyis
Dec 30, 2015

from the previous chapter
I could have sworn this was related earlier tho, so as to not seem so hilariously rear end-pull-y?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

IMO the creators have done such a good job so far I totally believe them to handle the Stone War really well and not have it be generic shonen, Inagaki made American Football insanely compelling after all. He doesn't have Murata this time sure but Boichi is doing a great job

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Tsukasa will gather 108 followers, appoint 4 great heavenly generals, appoint himself Super Tsukasa and have secret identical triplet ninja body guards AND a body double.

Senku will sidestep them all with science.

TurkeyFried
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk:
Taichi's time has finally come!

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Tsukasa will gather 108 followers, appoint 4 great heavenly generals, appoint himself Super Tsukasa and have secret identical triplet ninja body guards AND a body double.

Senku will sidestep them all with science.
I want to see Suika going melon-undercover and sabotaging the poo poo out of their army with Senku-brand laxatives.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
its going to turn out that the people who have a fight to see who is village chief and have grown up in this environment for thousands of years own the poo poo out of him in physical combat and the arc is 3 chapters long

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
kohaku already fought tsukasa and lost, and she's the strongest person in the village.