Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Awww yeah. Someone killed a giant scarab in misty thicket and I looted a pristine giant carapace. Got a port to Butcher Block and got the bp, saw the boots for sale and used my guard shield money to buy that and then killed a few outside to get the helm then gated back since I am still level 5 druid.
Reminds me of when I went all the way to Erudin from Kelethin after looking up the barnacle breastplate for my ranger to wear. BTW rangers are a super bad idea to play, I only played ranger on live. They suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"
Popping on for some late night shenanigans, 46 Ranger, 55 Wizard, 23 cleric useful to anyone around 11pm EST?

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

ChairmanMauzer posted:

God, that was the best on my Necro. IIRC it was something like 16% of an AA per kill.

I was still doing pofire tables for aa's during the secrets of faydwer expansion it was just that good

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
I would quad them on my wiz, but you had to be geared + dagger of entrapment. Hung up the running shoes forever after that though.

gently caress kiting. :)

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
So what are some decent high level necromancer “turn your brain off and grind” platinum camps now that seafuries are nerfed?

I know some people get gem drops from geonids but those are usually fairly busy. There’s also Felwithe guards. Beyond those two my knowledge is pretty limited.

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

Siets posted:

So what are some decent high level necromancer “turn your brain off and grind” platinum camps now that seafuries are nerfed?

I know some people get gem drops from geonids but those are usually fairly busy. There’s also Felwithe guards. Beyond those two my knowledge is pretty limited.

Not as good as geonids but the Sentient Armors in WL aren't terrible. the AC camp in OOT is definitely a "brain off" camp.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

Soblogh in Swamp of No Hope. Two spawns on 11 minute timers you can run between and keep split every 5.5 minutes.

Loot table includes:
1-6pp coin
Rusty dagger
Green froglok skin
Ruby Crown
Sapphire necklace
Ruby
Blue diamonds
Peridots
Diamonds
???
Profit.

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

Siets posted:

Do the Fe'Dhar cycle in Skyshrine. Here's a sample of their loot table with many of those droppable items being worth decent plat, and also decent no drops that you can park alts to pick up (I geared multiple alts and guildies doing this). It helps if you have Emissary of Thule (to tank the Fe'Dhar while you load up a snare/fear) and Staff of Dreaded Gaze (those fears add up). If you want to keep your dragon faction, FD each kill.

If you're really lucky, you'll walk away with a Wurm Lord Shawl.

Anarch fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Feb 10, 2018

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I camped Staff of Dread Gaze for... so... long...

So. Long.

Never saw it. :(

You think that cycle is doable at 55 without those items or not likely?

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

Siets posted:

I camped Staff of Dread Gaze for... so... long...

So. Long.

Never saw it. :(

You think that cycle is doable at 55 without those items or not likely?

You can do it without either, but it slows down the cycle. Probably 56 to have the monk pet, but main thing would be having the dots between 56 and 58 which help. At this point I'd say levels will help you more than gear.

An alternative is to just grind out exp by root rotting Mrak and Karnan in the Neriak Foreign Quarter arena. Mrak is on NeriakOgre faction, and Karnan is on NeriakTroll faction, neither of which have any purpose. They're lvl 48-50 warriors so they won't give you much trouble, and are on around ~6 min respawn. You can start with just one until you feel comfortable with doing both. Don't let them leave the arena because they'll buddy-aggro mobs outside.

However, all the other mobs inside all the arena are on The Dead faction. This isn't a problem for most necros, but they were kos to my iksar. To repair this, go kill Dragoon Szorn in Lesser Faydark several times - he gives something like +100 to The Dead each kill (while lowering Indigo Brotherhood).

Anarch fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Feb 10, 2018

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

ChairmanMauzer posted:

Not as good as geonids but the Sentient Armors in WL aren't terrible. the AC camp in OOT is definitely a "brain off" camp.

If you want to do specifically guards, Kaladim or Paineel or Felwithe or rivervale would do well for you. Other than that, Rathe Mountain giants, you may be able to work over some lower level Kael Drak giants over by the bank and pick up corroded stuff to MQ and quest armor gems for cash. Howling Stones is usually a pretty good camp for necros but you're a ways away from vendors.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Anarch posted:

You can do it without either, but it slows down the cycle. Probably 56 to have the monk pet, but main thing would be having the dots between 56 and 58 which help. At this point I'd say levels will help you more than gear.

An alternative is to just grind out exp by root rotting Mrak and Karnan in the Neriak Foreign Quarter arena. Mrak is on NeriakOgre faction, and Karnan is on NeriakTroll faction, neither of which have any purpose. They're lvl 48-50 warriors so they won't give you much trouble, and are on around ~6 min respawn. You can start with just one until you feel comfortable with doing both. Don't let them leave the arena because they'll buddy-aggro mobs outside.

However, all the other mobs inside all the arena are on The Dead faction. This isn't a problem for most necros, but they were kos to my iksar. To repair this, go kill Dragoon Szorn in Lesser Faydark several times - he gives something like +100 to The Dead each kill (while lowering Indigo Brotherhood).

This is so insanely helpful thank you. I've honestly been in a rut with my necro ever since hitting 55 and been wondering what to do. I had heard something about "ogres and trolls in Neriak" but the P99 wiki seems really messed up and does not reflect the info you gave me, nor does it list any of the ogre and troll factions. As a result I did not feel confident taking any exploratory actions out of fear of ruining my currently good Neriak faction (I like to use it as a home away from home.)

Not_Rainbow_Horse
Nov 11, 2013
I'm not sure if anyone has posted this, but this kicks rear end.

https://github.com/nomns/nparse/releases

It has maps and a spell tracker without all the hassle of Gina.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Siets posted:

This is so insanely helpful thank you. I've honestly been in a rut with my necro ever since hitting 55 and been wondering what to do. I had heard something about "ogres and trolls in Neriak" but the P99 wiki seems really messed up and does not reflect the info you gave me, nor does it list any of the ogre and troll factions. As a result I did not feel confident taking any exploratory actions out of fear of ruining my currently good Neriak faction (I like to use it as a home away from home.)

Theres also a mob on top of the tower near the wizzy spires in north karana called Captain Linarius. He's dark blue all the way to 60. I dont know what his spawn time is on p99 but on 2002 its every 2 1/2 minutes because he has a quest turn-in

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Playing this with some friends ATM. Just started, so I'm only level 5, but my buddy is level 16 and his friend has a few classes from 15-50. Look for me ingame if you have anything a scrubby Shaman might be able to use, I'm outside Qeynos grinding til level 10. Tried to get into this before but its way better with friends and a little support.

Fyodorovich
Dec 12, 2004

MASSACRE, at Lyons, i. 336; caused by jealousy, iii. 260

Frog Act posted:

Playing this with some friends ATM. Just started, so I'm only level 5, but my buddy is level 16 and his friend has a few classes from 15-50. Look for me ingame if you have anything a scrubby Shaman might be able to use, I'm outside Qeynos grinding til level 10. Tried to get into this before but its way better with friends and a little support.

What’s your character name? I’m running there from south karanas to pick up a copy of Cancel Magic right now, I can whip you up a couple pieces of banded prolly

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Fyodorovich posted:

What’s your character name? I’m running there from south karanas to pick up a copy of Cancel Magic right now, I can whip you up a couple pieces of banded prolly

Name is Edmund. I'm logging back in momentarily and I'll be in front of Qeynos in the place with all the bats and stuff.

Pratan
Dec 31, 2006

Not_Rainbow_Horse posted:

I'm not sure if anyone has posted this, but this kicks rear end.

https://github.com/nomns/nparse/releases

It has maps and a spell tracker without all the hassle of Gina.

Is this legal?

Fyodorovich
Dec 12, 2004

MASSACRE, at Lyons, i. 336; caused by jealousy, iii. 260

Frog Act posted:

Name is Edmund. I'm logging back in momentarily and I'll be in front of Qeynos in the place with all the bats and stuff.

I ended up having to log tonight but I’ll be around tomorrow evening EST hanging out, I’ll watch for you :)

My character is Slobad, 21 Cleric.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Fyodorovich posted:

I ended up having to log tonight but I’ll be around tomorrow evening EST hanging out, I’ll watch for you :)

My character is Slobad, 21 Cleric.

Sounds good! I'm also EST and I'll be around tomorrow night. My friend gave me a wraith bone hammer (I think) and it's definitely helping me tear things up. I totally forgot items don't have a level requirement.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Pratan posted:

Is this legal?
It doesn't modify the client - it's just putting info in non-EQ windows based on stuff in your log file, so it's kosher AFAIK. The staff is usually pretty consistent on stuff like this - Zliz's map program has been specifically OK'd and does similar things, so I would guess this is alright as well.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

So I'm level 7 and Qeynos Hills don't seem to be working anymore like they did from 4-7. Should I head to BB soon? Also I'd be down for an invite to the guild now that I know I'm gonna play Edmund the Shaman, I'll be around tonight EST.

Toxx
Aug 25, 2002

Frog Act posted:

So I'm level 7 and Qeynos Hills don't seem to be working anymore like they did from 4-7. Should I head to BB soon? Also I'd be down for an invite to the guild now that I know I'm gonna play Edmund the Shaman, I'll be around tonight EST.

I have my level 6 bard in west Karana, but I’m trying to figure out swarm kiting. I’m not very good at it, but most cons seem to be blue/white. At least that’s from the area between qh and the first large farm. I don’t know how fun it’d be to solo, it’s usually pretty deserted.

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
So did any 'longer time players' get their names changed in the great character rename event?

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

Toxx posted:

I have my level 6 bard in west Karana, but I’m trying to figure out swarm kiting. I’m not very good at it, but most cons seem to be blue/white. At least that’s from the area between qh and the first large farm. I don’t know how fun it’d be to solo, it’s usually pretty deserted.

What's your bard's name?

wazu
Jan 26, 2004

Herv posted:

So did any 'longer time players' get their names changed in the great character rename event?

What rename event?

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Frog Act posted:

Some combo of diseased pelts, bandit sashes, and gnoll fangs is the best way to get through those levels out there - hunt whichever appeals to your style of play the most (rabid wolves/bears in qhills/wkar, bandits in wkar, or gnolls in qhills and bb). As a shaman without track I'd probably go after gnolls myself.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

wazu posted:

What rename event?

Over the past week(?), admins forced renames on a ton of characters whose names did not align with the official naming policy. Victims include Papp Smear and other goofy poo poo. Not necessarily outright offensive, but a name doesn't have to be offensive to violate P99's naming policy.

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Feb 12, 2018

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

wazu posted:

What rename event?

Here's a link to the official thread:

https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=290912

Basically if you had a Deez Nutz, even if it was an 8 year old main, you got a randomly generated name.

Folks like 'Lookmyfeet' were also caught up in the wave as well, unfortunately.

You can petition for a name you choose, fwiw.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Hahaha, that's great. The staff has always done this btw, but it's nearly always been petition driven in the past unless someone is logged in when you roll the character - staff see global alerts for all char creation.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

Kimjongun Dearleader Human Monk still relevant in tyool 2018

wazu
Jan 26, 2004

Sounds like I won’t be seeing Osamabinbardin in OOC on Red anymore.

Pratan
Dec 31, 2006

Looking for a cheap Thurg plate BP MQ. Post here or find me on Saryon or Scathar.

Toxx
Aug 25, 2002

ChairmanMauzer posted:

What's your bard's name?

Aeoxx. I have an unknown guild tag, I’ve just been level 6 forever. I’ve spent too much time loving off and recently not having enough disposable time for gaming.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Herv posted:

Here's a link to the official thread:

https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=290912

Basically if you had a Deez Nutz, even if it was an 8 year old main, you got a randomly generated name.

Folks like 'Lookmyfeet' were also caught up in the wave as well, unfortunately.

You can petition for a name you choose, fwiw.

Ahahah, oh my. That's hilarious. I just checked all of my characters.. seemingly no name changes for now. Almost all of them are some random adjective.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007
Uh oh, according to the policy Integ Rity is against the rules. I wonder if it got caught. Maybe I have to log in to see.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
The 50/50 mix of “jokey Firstname Lastname puns” and “fantasy tryhard” names are about as classic as it gets in my opinion.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
P99 is really just a sadist's playground for the various GMs we've had over the years.

If they didn't have a digital population to torture, they 'd just resume popping ants with magnifying glasses during break time at their 7-11 store.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

moolchaba posted:

P99 is really just a sadist's playground for the various GMs we've had over the years.

If they didn't have a digital population to torture, they 'd just resume popping ants with magnifying glasses during break time at their 7-11 store.

Truth to power

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

moolchaba posted:

To be fair, much of the playerbase and their associated drama is pretty terrible. I'd probably hate the players if I was them too.