Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

enraged_camel posted:

Whichever city gets picked to host Amazon's HQ2 is going to have so much fun...

I hope it's not Boston, just cause it's going to suck wherever it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
You do not want amazon hq in your town

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I've actually been wondering about that.

Let's say Amazon announced their pick tomorrow.

How long would it take for that information to be reflected in house prices?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

Days at best.

In the time honored tradition of gently caress you got mine I hope it's Los Angeles.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

SpartanIV posted:

I'm praying it's not DFW Denver or I'm never going to own a home. :smith:

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

FYI it's gonna be Boston

Safe bet because it'll be in the Seaport and be "like where we started except on the east coast", has a ton of academic institutions, good geographic location to attract European talent

Crazyweasel fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Feb 4, 2018

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

as long as it's not Austin im happy

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
It's funny how nobody really wants Amazon HQ in their city but city officials everywhere are tripping over themselves to give Bezos a blowjob and a blank check of tax incentives.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
I don’t think they will pick Nashville but if they do I would give serious consideration to selling my house and moving somewhere cheaper.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Thufir posted:

I don’t think they will pick Nashville but if they do I would give serious consideration to selling my house and moving somewhere cheaper.

Wouldn't you want to wait a few years at least to get even more money though?

I mean the houses that are selling for $700k in Seattle were probably worth half that 10 years ago.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

enraged_camel posted:

I mean the houses that are selling for $700k in Seattle were probably worth half that 10 years ago.

It’s more like 6 years. My house has nearly doubled in market value since 2012.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

We don't want Amazon in Colorado. The governor hosed up and actually told the truth and admitted this and got in a world of poo poo and had to walk it back.

Please stay the gently caress away Amazon. Nobody wants you. Zero tax incentives. gently caress off.

We also said no to the Olympics after it was offered in '76, everyone is happy we did that.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I've also wondered if the potential for Amazon HQ2 to be in certain cities has preemptively driven up demand for housing in those cities, and that after the city for the second HQ is announced, if you don't see a drop in demand in the cities that were not selected.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

SpartanIV posted:

I've also wondered if the potential for Amazon HQ2 to be in certain cities has preemptively driven up demand for housing in those cities, and that after the city for the second HQ is announced, if you don't see a drop in demand in the cities that were not selected.

Yes this happens, people are already buying up massive swaths of land in anticipation of Amazon moving to areas near Denver:

quote:

Bancroft Capital confirmed they were interested in offering a soon-to-be acquired plot of land to Amazon, in hopes of bringing the corporation to Colorado.

Bancroft proposed the new headquarters could be located northwest of the Northwest Parkway and U.S. 36 interchange. The location, which is under contract, is owned by Phillips 66.

“Clearly, this property is a jewel site along the Denver-Boulder corridor,” said Richard Morgan, Principal for Bancroft Capital.

And that was in September, this nonsense will only accelerate.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

enraged_camel posted:

Oh yeah, I’d wait for some appreciation, or try to keep and rent it.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

enraged_camel posted:

In Reno with regard to the Gigafactory thing selling realtors talked it up for a year before and ever since. Buying realtors said it was 99% bullshit because the number of execs that would come to town and "drive up" the 400k+ housing market was like 9 people, and the ~800 wageslaves making 9% more than they had been making working for Amazon or Trex or whoever wouldn't have a large impact on any part of the market but definitely not the better than median market.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Man what a frustrating experience with the banks underwriter. Last tuesday we were submitted for CTC and they kicked back that the electrician was not certified for the county he did the work in, so I had to have my own guy come in and certify the pane, turnaround time was 1 day. That was supposedly the last piece before CTC. Then after resubmitting they ask why our AMEX has 5k on it and if we can afford to pay it off. Then I remind them we provided proof that it was paid back in September but then they ask us to provide proof we don't have 2 AMEXs and are hiding the debt!

Finally I submitted enough proof and we got CTC, so we should be closing soon. :toot:

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Sepist posted:

Man what a frustrating experience with the banks underwriter. Last tuesday we were submitted for CTC and they kicked back that the electrician was not certified for the county he did the work in, so I had to have my own guy come in and certify the pane, turnaround time was 1 day. That was supposedly the last piece before CTC. Then after resubmitting they ask why our AMEX has 5k on it and if we can afford to pay it off. Then I remind them we provided proof that it was paid back in September but then they ask us to provide proof we don't have 2 AMEXs and are hiding the debt!

Finally I submitted enough proof and we got CTC, so we should be closing soon. :toot:

As someone who works with credit nothing bothers me more than when a lender doesn't look at everything in the beginning and give the customer a complete list upfront. Sometimes they're is stuff you can't see until you have some document or another and that is unavoidable but if the AMEX was a problem they should have asked about that upfront. Also my money is on brand new underwriter because everyone in the industry knows that AMEX reports a different account number for each cardholder on an account so if you have joint cardholders applying for credit together you just drop one of the accounts off the DTI calculation if the balances and payments are identical.

therobit fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Feb 6, 2018

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
The funny thing is I provided a ton of proof months ago. I even got on a conference call with them and AMEX to provide my current balance, they just handled it poorly or are dicks.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Anyone have any advice on quantifying the costs of an older home vs a newer home?

My wife and I are looking at two places that we really like, one was built in the 1920s, the other was built about 30 years ago. We both prefer the older house but we're trying to be responsible and consider how much money we're gonna have to drop on maintenance in an older place, even though the current owners have already dropped a ton of money into updates since they bought it in 2001.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Jose Valasquez posted:

Anyone have any advice on quantifying the costs of an older home vs a newer home?

My wife and I are looking at two places that we really like, one was built in the 1920s, the other was built about 30 years ago. We both prefer the older house but we're trying to be responsible and consider how much money we're gonna have to drop on maintenance in an older place, even though the current owners have already dropped a ton of money into updates since they bought it in 2001.

It depends on the houses and how they were maintained. Plenty of 90s shitboxes are basically at the end of their usable life, just like plenty of 1920s shitboxes got knocked down in the 50s because they weren't worth repairing either.

"They don't build them like they used to" is one of those things people like to say who don't recognize that all you are seeing of the old stuff are largely the good ones that were built well and maintained consistently. They used to build absolute trash back then too. Even the survivors need to have had a lot of updating - the kinds that don't often happen without completely gutting the place - to be brought up to modern energy and performance standards. Lots of those places had little more than newspapers and old posters in the walls as "insulation" and you can feel it. If it's still got original windows and they don't have separate storms - you're gonna feel it.

So like most things - it depends.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Jose Valasquez posted:

Pay for a really good inspector.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Mandalay posted:

Pay for a really good inspector.

If the realtor gets mad at the inspector, it’s a good inspector.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Woof Blitzer posted:

If the realtor gets mad at the inspector, it’s a good inspector.

If the realtor gets mad at your grandfather (who was a structural engineer) after his comments having looked at the inspection report, even better. Why yes I'm speaking from experience.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Oh god

I bought a house

I think it's too late to turn back

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I feel you. Our no contingencies offer got accepted and now I'm nervous we won out because the house sucks in some way our inspectors didn't notice. No contingencies so this is it.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Yeah good luck. We had poo poo surprises on a 60 year old Seattle house even after we had the traditional inspection and all that.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Lol no contingencies? Well... Get an inspection and say goodbye to your earnest money

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

We already had the house and sewer inspected. In Seattle you have to do that for any contested house as they always go for the no contingencies offer. Any house that doesn't have some weird drawback or require a lot of work in this price range are gone in less than a week on market anymore.

This particular one was up on Thursday and reviewing multiple offers on Tuesday. We got the inspectors in on Monday morning. I think at least one other offer had an inspection but I'm not sure how many there were in total. Last house they pushed back the review date a day to give another party time to do an inspection and I know they already had multiple inspections. Its why our offer with contingencies wasn't in the running.

The house was built in 82 and according to the inspectors has no problems but who knows what could be hiding. The day before a somewhat comparable house sold nearby for 20k less but had no yard (we called it the pavement house because the owner had paved the small backyard for extra parking) and 400 sq less so in theory our house is a decent deal.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

e. woop you answered in the post just above this one.

But yeah that's super weird to have to pay for inspectors for a house before you've had an offer accepted, just so you can make a no-contingencies offer.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
In DFW it was common to waive financing contingencies but I wasn't aware of any trend of waiving inspection contingencies.

The houses we looked at were typically under contract the day after they hit the market so there wasn't time to get an inspection done.

Looking at it from the seller's perspective it's pretty nice. I think almost all buyers use typical poo poo that you'll find on any 30 year old house to knock an extra couple of grand off the "agreed upon" price, which is kind of scummy.

Andy Dufresne fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Feb 8, 2018

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

all-cash buyers sometimes waive inspection contingency, some even buy sight-unseen at auction, but they only get away with this because they can spread the unexpected repair costs across multiple properties, and because they're getting below-market prices due to their lack of any contingencies plus closing in a week or two.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Yeah it brakes my head a house purchase of all things has to be at this breakneck speed but that's the area for you. When I looked at houses with a friend in the Mid-West the one he went for he was able to think about it a while, look at it over weeks, and then negotiated a bunch of poo poo for the price and only had it inspected after the offer.

Here it's just glance at it and then make a blank offer. So many houses are sold for cash with no contingencies you don't have much leverage as a buyer.

Sellers want to go for the more absurdly surefire offer because of this stupid pace. A house that goes into negotiations but then doesn't work out and has to go back on market is regarded with a little suspicion. Oh man that house has been on market a whole 3 weeks what kinda shithole are they hiding! So your best price is from that initial offer blitz.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Started looking for a house at the end of last year. Found one my wife and I liked, but was way over-valued, and put in what we thought (and our realtor agreed) was a reasonable offer. Seller wouldn't budge. Tried twice more, seller still wouldn't move and started making demands about closing date &c before he would even consider an offer. Ultimately we ended up walking away because we couldn't justify that much money on not that much house and a neighborhood that wasn't anything to write home about.

Cut to last week when were in a town that we weren't even looking at (because we knew we couldn't afford a house there) and stumbled upon an open house that we went to essentially because we had time to kill.
Totally perfect, incredible neighborhood, somehow within our budget. Put in an offer that day and after a bit of negotiation they accepted at 10k under their asking price.

Got their signed contract yesterday afternoon and delivered my earnest money immediately afterwards. I'm so excited but terrified I'm going to gently caress something up. Never done this before (never even lived in a single-family before) so I'm going to try to glean some wisdom from this thread.

To contribute, here's one that you all might not have heard before:
So, the seller wants to get the intent to proceed from the lender really soon -- they signed yesterday, and they want the intent by Friday. I agreed to that because I've been working with my mortgage broker for a while now, he's totally ready to go, got everything lined up. Calls me up yesterday and tells me that I need to unfreeze my TransUnion credit report to proceed.
Weird, because I never froze my credit reports (I use an identity protection service)
Called up TU, who tell me they just need my PIN. I don't have a PIN, because I never froze my credit. They say they can send a new PIN to my current address, but it's going to take 5-7 business days.
At this point I'm thinking that A) I'm the victim of some weird fraud that involves freezing a report but not a change of address and/or B) I've got to call the attorney because I'm going to miss the agreed-upon intent date.
Can't get a hold of the attorney so I call up the TU fraud line. Took forever to convince the guy that, no, I didn't just forget about freezing my report. Finally was able to escalate my call to a fraud expert or whatever who was able to actually help me.

I share a name with my father. My dad called them after the Equifax breach and told them to freeze his report and they froze mine instead.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Leperflesh posted:

e. woop you answered in the post just above this one.

But yeah that's super weird to have to pay for inspectors for a house before you've had an offer accepted, just so you can make a no-contingencies offer.

Here most houses are bought at auction which are by law no contingency offers, and given how competitive the market is you could be up for a hell of a lot of inspections only to be beaten by some cashed up baby boomer buying their third investment property.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

HEY NONG MAN posted:

You do not want amazon hq in your town

Unless you own a house. My parents are bad with money, but thanks to Amazon's housing influence, they can now retire very comfortably.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

H110Hawk posted:

In the time honored tradition of gently caress you got mine

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

Unless you own a house. My parents are bad with money, but thanks to Amazon's housing influence, they can now retire very comfortably.

That was a similar path my parents took to retirement. If it weren't for the extreme housing cost inflation we saw here in los angeles (vs the bat poo poo bonkers crap in SF/NY and to a lesser degree Seattle) they wouldn't be retired yet. Seattle has picked up as the stock of people with vested Amazon RSU's has exceeded the available supply.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I own a house in a shortlisted city (Toronto), and hosed if I want them here. The increase in my property value isn't worth the damage to the city I'm going to spend the rest of my life in.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

Ok but only if you’re ready to retire. My house has nearly doubled in value but so have my property taxes in six years time. Between 2015 and 2016 my property taxes went up $1,000.

The only way my house gaining so much value is useful to me is if i sell it and gently caress off to some other market where there probably aren’t any jobs. It’s a trap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

HELOC, my man.