Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

SixPabst posted:

I've been in Rio for the last week and a half and I highly recommend it. Especially now that - as of January 15th - US citizens can apply for an e-visa online for $40 and don't have to do the paperwork / pay $160 like we did. It's been one of the easiest places to travel in SA and I personally think the "danger" aspect is pretty overrated as long as you're not walking around looking like travel dad and staring at your iPhone. People are real chill.

Spending another week here and then headed to Manaus for a week, then Florianopolis for 10 days if anyone has any suggestions.

Rio is a really cool city, and yeah if you stay street smart it's not that dangerous. The worst was when we tried to venture into Lapa, on a friday night, during a carnival bloco - lots of sketchy people and guys looking for fights, so we took the first cab home. But this is kinda the worst case scenario, barring venturing into a favela. Basic advice: don't look like a travel dad, know which areas are ok, and look around you. Also, if you hear loud baile funk, retreat :v:

Fwiw, Paraty in Rio state (4 hour drive) is a very quaint colonial beach town, with lots of fun things around. I've heard good things about Ilha Grande too for nature gazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swarmin Swedes
Oct 22, 2008

Oakland Martini posted:

I recommend staying in Drake's Bay rather than Puerto Jimenez. You should be able to take a bus to Sierpe then a boat from there to Drake's Bay (the boat ride is actually pretty fun, you go through a mangrove swamp and stuff).

You can arrange for a boat to take you from Drake's Bay to Sirena ranger station, which is where we entered the park from. That is the one that most people stay at overnight as well, so you could boat there/back or hike there/boat back, etc. We did not stay overnight, but we met some people who did at our B&B and it sounded pretty cool; it sounds like you can see some good stuff in the early morning and at night. I am not sure what the cost would be, but I doubt it would be that much more than the cost of staying a hotel or whatever. As a reference point, the all-day tour we did to Sirena cost $80 per person, including the hour-long boat rides there and back as well as lunch.

We stayed at Casa Horizontes B&B, which I highly recommend. It is a great value and the food is excellent. If you go to Sirena station overnight, they will watch your stuff for you. They will arrange any tours you want to take for no extra charge. Plus there is a family of red macaws that lives in a tree in the backyard which is pretty cool.

I also highly, highly recommend the night hike with Tracy the Bug Lady (which I mentioned in my previous post). It is the best guided hike/tour/whathaveyou that I have done anywhere. It is $40 per person which is an incredible value for the expertise and enthusiasm that the guides bring.

Finally, I suggest taking a day and hiking to Playa San Josecito and back. It is a great hike (about 6km each way) to a very nice beach where you can swim or snorkel and eat your lunch. The hike goes along the coast the whole way and you can see lots of the same wildlife that you would find in the national park. We saw lots of basilisk lizards, monkeys, etc.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I do not have platinum so just post in this thread. I will post some pictures from the area when I get a chance to dig through them.

Thanks for all the info! This is super helpful we are still trying to nail down plans but this helps a ton.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Is there a Mexico thread in T&T and/or is this an appropriate place to discuss Mexico? I couldn't find anything else.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
I think that like a third of the posts in this very slow thread are about Mexico. It should really be he « Latin America and the Caribbean Thread Plus Those Non Latin Countries Which Are In Many Ways In Latin America Like Belize and Guyana Threas »

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Saladman posted:

I think that like a third of the posts in this very slow thread are about Mexico. It should really be he « Latin America and the Caribbean Thread Plus Those Non Latin Countries Which Are In Many Ways In Latin America Like Belize and Guyana Threas »

Cool, well then I'll ask here.

Some friends of mine usually stay a few months per year in Puerto Vallarta, and while I enjoy visiting them to get the gently caress out of the horrid Canadian winter for a time, I also find it a bit too resort-ish to spend more than a few days there. I've got it in my head to, next time, visit either Guadalajara or Mexico City (probably Mexico City) on the same trip so as to not get bored.

I gather that both of those cities are more dangerous than Resort Mexico, but I don't buy into the "you're going to be robbed and killed!!!" hysteria that the North American media plays up either. Would it be safe to say that, assuming I do my research and exercise normal precautions, I'll probably be okay? Obviously there are no guarantees anywhere, but I'm willing to play the odds.

Second: where does one even start planning with a destination as loving huge as Mexico City? So far, my preliminary research has led me to focus on Centro Historico, Colonia Roma and La Condesa as places that would be reasonable to stay -- do those seem like good places to start? My Spanish is okay but not fluent, if that makes any difference.

Good Parmesan
Nov 30, 2007

I TAKE PHOTOS OF OTHER PEOPLE'S CHILDREN IN PLANET FITNESS

PT6A posted:

Cool, well then I'll ask here.

Some friends of mine usually stay a few months per year in Puerto Vallarta, and while I enjoy visiting them to get the gently caress out of the horrid Canadian winter for a time, I also find it a bit too resort-ish to spend more than a few days there. I've got it in my head to, next time, visit either Guadalajara or Mexico City (probably Mexico City) on the same trip so as to not get bored.

I gather that both of those cities are more dangerous than Resort Mexico, but I don't buy into the "you're going to be robbed and killed!!!" hysteria that the North American media plays up either. Would it be safe to say that, assuming I do my research and exercise normal precautions, I'll probably be okay? Obviously there are no guarantees anywhere, but I'm willing to play the odds.

Second: where does one even start planning with a destination as loving huge as Mexico City? So far, my preliminary research has led me to focus on Centro Historico, Colonia Roma and La Condesa as places that would be reasonable to stay -- do those seem like good places to start? My Spanish is okay but not fluent, if that makes any difference.

Here's a little list of stuff I've compiled for Mexico City. You can't go wrong with Condesa and Roma.

Sites/Activities:
Centro Historico (downtown)
Condesa: Art Deco architecture, as well as ethnic restaurants (lots of Asian) and cocktail lounges. It's a good walking neighborhood during the day.
Roma: Centrally-located, a good place to sleep at night. There are some hip bars, and excellent restaurants in Roma, especially around Plaza Luis Cabrera.

Chapultepec Castle
Zocalo - main central square of Mexico City
Day trip to Teotihuacan (Mesoamerican ruins)
Mercado La Merced - street food/food market
El mercado sonora - Traditional craft and pottery street market
Mexican wrestling
Trip to Frida Kahlo Museum

Lodging:
Hotel Diligencias
Camino Real Aeropuerto Mexico
NH Collection Mexico City Reforma
Airbnbs in Condesa or Roma
Hostels: http://www.casadelosamigos.org
http://mundojovenhostels.com/

Transport:
Uber
Subway - 50 cents a ride
Buses (slow, long wait times)

Food / Drink:
Street food everywhere
https://www.eater.com/2017/6/27/15877242/best-food-mexico-city-where-to-eat
Food Markets: Mercado La Merced
Tlayuda from Gildardo Soto / endless tacos and antojitos
Cantinas: for mezcal tequila
Tacos: Tres Galeones, Taqueria Revolution, El Rey de Suadero
Churros - Churrería El Moro
Bakeries: Panaderia Rosetta for cardamom croissant, Fournier Rosseau for croissants, Pastelería Suiza for pan de muerto
Oaxacan food: Yuban
Pastry guide: https://www.eater.com/2016/3/21/11243222/mexico-city-concha-abrazos-bakery-sweet-bread-guide
Street food guide: https://www.eater.com/2016/3/21/11237474/mexican-street-food-mexico-city-tacos
Pambozos

Tips:
Sunscreen is expensive here, bring it from home.
Always carry lots of small bills/coins. Small family run shops and restaurants will often not have change. Break big 500 peso bills at large businesses whenever possible...don't give Chedraui or KFC your small bills

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Good Parmesan posted:

Here's a little list of stuff I've compiled for Mexico City. You can't go wrong with Condesa and Roma.

This all looks awesome, thanks for the info!

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Has anyone been to Huacachina in Peru? I’ve got a spare 2 days/1 night while in Lima and was thinking of taking the bus there, doing the whole sandboarding thing (and maybe some astrophotography on the dunes), and then the next day a Nazca lines flight before heading back to Lima in the evening.

It looks like Peru Hop are the only company who go direct to Huacachina, and they do a combined ticket with all the above.

That itinerary however has a lot of bus travel - I was thinking instead of doing a Nazca flight from Ica rather than Nazca itself; even though it’s more expensive it avoids the entire day getting driving to Nazca, back to Huacachina, and then back to Lima.

Has anyone else done this? I don’t want to book the flights in advance as I reckon it’ll be much cheaper when I get there, but can only find a few mentions of flights from Ica online. So I’m not sure how easy it is to rock up to Huacachina and book a flight that way when it seems basically all the tourist trade operates flights from Nazca.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I chartered a flight in Nazca and then took the bus to Huacachina, so I can’t help you there. Bear in mind that they will fly you on the shittiest, shakiest prop plane ever. I was miserable the whole time I was watching the lines (still worth it), I can’t imagine adding another hour plus of travel time.

Huacachina is fun and all, but one day is more than enough if you get there early enough to book a sandboarding tour and take a couple of pictures at the oasis.

Water Resistant
Jul 10, 2003
I love love love Mexico City and highly recommend it to anyone. I did two trips there last year because I loved it so much, and one of my friends is on his 4th trip in 13 months. It's got *amazing* food, lots of culture, people are super friendly, and it's really cheap.

I found it as safe as any other large city (and the US state department has no travel warnings on it fwiw) and never felt unsafe. I definitely recommend staying in an Airbnb in Roma or La Condesa and using Uber to get around because it's dirt cheap. Go see a lucha libre match and a football match and see the Virgin Mary shroud and the pyramids (and the cave restaurant by them). My Spanish is terrible but it wasn't an issue any more than any other non English country I've traveled to. So go, you'll have a blast!

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
Came back from Peru, specifically spent 6 days in Cusco. Unbelievably nice people, their culture is great. Machu picchu ended up being a blast as well as Humantay Lake.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Has anyone spent significant time in Puerto Rico, specifically San Juan? Just trying to learn about neighborhoods etc (I'm moving there!)

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Water Resistant posted:

I love love love Mexico City and highly recommend it to anyone. I did two trips there last year because I loved it so much, and one of my friends is on his 4th trip in 13 months. It's got *amazing* food, lots of culture, people are super friendly, and it's really cheap.

I found it as safe as any other large city (and the US state department has no travel warnings on it fwiw) and never felt unsafe. I definitely recommend staying in an Airbnb in Roma or La Condesa and using Uber to get around because it's dirt cheap. Go see a lucha libre match and a football match and see the Virgin Mary shroud and the pyramids (and the cave restaurant by them). My Spanish is terrible but it wasn't an issue any more than any other non English country I've traveled to. So go, you'll have a blast!

Can confirm Mexico City is a great time, never had any issues in the... Four? Times I've been there? Went down there for the weekend with my girlfriend for Valentine's day last year, including airfare and Airbnb, food and a new dress i think the whole weekend was like $550 for to people from SF.

Girlfriend took a sabbatical for a few months, we seriously discussed her spending a couple weeks down there.

Its like Paris but everyone speaks Spanish. A+ will probably go again sometime this year.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Hadlock posted:

Can confirm Mexico City is a great time, never had any issues in the... Four? Times I've been there? Went down there for the weekend with my girlfriend for Valentine's day last year, including airfare and Airbnb, food and a new dress i think the whole weekend was like $550 for to people from SF.

Girlfriend took a sabbatical for a few months, we seriously discussed her spending a couple weeks down there.

Its like Paris but everyone speaks Spanish. A+ will probably go again sometime this year.

Cool, this mirrors everything I've heard from people who've been there. Apparently the "horror stories" are mainly stupid people doing stupid things, just like anywhere else in the world.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah you will get mugged in Zurich, Switzerland if you're dumb enough. Mexico City is a lot safer than some places I have been.

svenkatesh
Sep 5, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Tailored Sauce posted:

Came back from Peru, specifically spent 6 days in Cusco. Unbelievably nice people, their culture is great. Machu picchu ended up being a blast as well as Humantay Lake.

Did you do the Inca trail to Machu Picchu?

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

svenkatesh posted:

Did you do the Inca trail to Machu Picchu?

Not unless he somehow managed to do two hikes in six days. Humantay Lake means he did the Salkantay route.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

Hair Elf
Nope, we just did standard tours. There is actually a private day tour for Machu Picchu from Cusco which we took offered by Llama Path (who were insanely good and accommodating). Humantay Lake was also a day tour.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Tailored Sauce posted:

Humantay Lake was also a day tour.

Wait, seriously? Are there multiple places called Humantay Lake that are not this one? https://www.google.ch/maps/place/13...5!4d-72.5692105

If it's that one, that sounds like a massive daytrip from Cusco, like 5am pickup - midnight return unless they drive you all the way to the Salkantay Lodge. When we did it, it was something like 3 hours from where they dropped us off (like halfway north from Mollepata) to the lodge, and then maybe 2 more hours from there to the col.

If that's the same lake, then it's literally faster to hike down directly to the road leading to Hidroelectrica than it is to hike back towards Mollepata and drive around the long way (8 hours, according to Google Maps... so probably more like 10 in real life).

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

Hair Elf
It was this tour: https://www.getyourguide.com/cusco-l359/humantay-lake-trek-1-day-tour-t104114/

My friends couldn't do the hike because of the high-elevation and they opted for horses along the way. We did not go through Salkantay, the tour comes directly from Cusco to pretty much the base of the mountain where there is some farm area. The hike starts from there and takes about 1 to 2 hours to get to the lake.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Tailored Sauce posted:

Nope, we just did standard tours. There is actually a private day tour for Machu Picchu from Cusco which we took offered by Llama Path (who were insanely good and accommodating). Humantay Lake was also a day tour.

Used Llama Path for our 2 day Inca Trail hike into MP, they are great.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Tailored Sauce posted:

It was this tour: https://www.getyourguide.com/cusco-l359/humantay-lake-trek-1-day-tour-t104114/

My friends couldn't do the hike because of the high-elevation and they opted for horses along the way. We did not go through Salkantay, the tour comes directly from Cusco to pretty much the base of the mountain where there is some farm area. The hike starts from there and takes about 1 to 2 hours to get to the lake.

Ha, turns out there are two nearby lakes both called "Humantay Lake". The one that you walk directly by on the Salkantay trek is a couple hours further at the col of the Salkantay trek which Google Maps helpfully calls "La Laguna Humantay". The one you went to is named by Google as the "Laguna de Humantay". I guess they must have improved the road a lot in the last few years, as it would've been impossible in anything larger than a Range Rover when we were there... which is I'm sure why we got dropped off like 6km south of the farm.

It's cool that Google has added the Salkantay trek route in their map, that definitely wasn't labeled even 2 years ago.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

So this is probably a real long shot but is there anyone here who has spent a significant amount of time (6+ months) in Colombia?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I talked my buddy in to traveling there, he ended up civil union marrying a local after 6 months, lived there for 18 months I think, living in cartagena, medellin and bogota. We're headed down there again in June for a big party with his extended family, I might be able to help although cumulatively I've only spent about 6 weeks over 8 years there.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Hadlock posted:

I talked my buddy in to traveling there, he ended up civil union marrying a local after 6 months, lived there for 18 months I think, living in cartagena, medellin and bogota. We're headed down there again in June for a big party with his extended family, I might be able to help although cumulatively I've only spent about 6 weeks over 8 years there.

I'm looking at living there for about a year (in Medellin, specifically) and I'm trying to figure out A) the visa system and B) the deal with renting apartments. It sounds like you can just show up and renew a traveler's visa for up to six months, but then I'm seeing conflicting info on whether that's 6 months per calendar year or six months per entry into the country - i.e. I'm not sure if it's kosher to, say, stay 6 months, go take a trip to Peru or something, and come right back for another 6 months, or whether I'd have to apply for a student visa or something. I'd like to take Spanish courses anyway, so that's not a huge deal if that's the route I have to go, but I just want to know what all my options are.

I'm also seeing conflicting info on whether you need to have proof of a return flight or not - I'd prefer to buy return tickets later down the line if I can.

As for apartments, I know most places want you to have a native Colombian co-signer since it's a huge pain in the rear end to evict tenants for non-payment, but obviously that's kind of difficult for a foreigner. I've heard some of the more ex-pat heavy areas like El Poblado are used to foreigners and have ways around that, and that it's not too hard to find a place if you are offering to pay 6 months rent up front or something, but I'd be curious to hear from anyone whose done it.

SuicidalSmurf
Feb 12, 2002

I have a companion fare to burn with Alaska Air and am looking at heading to Costa Rica with a buddy in late August. The bit of reading I've done so far is that August is pretty much in the middle of rainy season, so I've so far been centering my research on the supposed drier areas of Tamarindo and the Carribbean coast. We'd like to do some hiking and snorkeling while we are there- we are generally outdoorsy, but otherwise we have a wide open itinerary. I read earlier in the thread about some suggested overnights in national forests, which sounds absolutely amazing, but I'm not sure where I should be looking depending on where our recommended base of operations is. We'll likely be renting a car and don't mind a bit of traversing, we'll be in country about a week. Lodging will probably be a mix of hostels and inexpensive VRBO.

I'm also open to counter-suggestions for Mexico so long as Alaska flies there. I don't want to get rained out, but don't mind afternoon showers. I spent my honeymoon in Curacao and wasn't too bothered by the rain as long as it wasn't the entirety of the day.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Try Oaxaca. Fly to the city, take a bus to San Jose Del Pacifico, then on to Zipolite or Puerto Escondido, then bus back to Oaxaca to fly home. It's a good mix of big city with museums and old buildings, a little town in the mountains, and the pacific coast. Perfect for 1-2 weeks and the food is way better than Costa Rica.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Costa Rica basically requires a car to get around, otherwise you have to do crazy-rear end-expensive tours to do anything. Tamarindo is a pretty absurdly expensive destination. Also the distances in Costa Rica aren't very far, but the roads are all bad / windy so it takes forever to get anywhere. They're mostly all paved, but despite that and not very much traffic, they somehow manage to all suck.

Also not in Latin America, but really Hawaii has everything Costa Rica has, and flies with Alaskan, and it has better weather and it's cheaper and has better food. IMO Kauai's outdoors are >> Costa Rica's, especially in August. I also found the off-shore snorkeling in the Tamarindo area to be kinda "eh" with not that many fish, especially compared to places in Hawaii.

I know a ton of people who have been to CR since it has been super in-vogue for the past 10-20 years, and unscientifically I'd guess about half hated it because it's an overpriced tourist trap wrapped in a thin veneer of authenticity, while the other half loved it because it's an overpriced tourist trap with a thin veneer of authenticity.

Still: Hawaii, but if you've never been to a tropical country before you might like CR too.

svenkatesh
Sep 5, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Thanks to everyone in the thread who had advice about Peru - I just returned yesterday and had an amazing two weeks (really wish I had more time to spend there).

Does anyone have recommendations on places worth visiting over a long weekend? i.e. is it worth going to Cuba on a Fri-Sun schedule?

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
Costa Rica has some really lovely beaches, esterillos este is amazing and almost deserted, but it can be pricy and I wouldn't go in august, super wet, hot and buggy.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

svenkatesh posted:

Thanks to everyone in the thread who had advice about Peru - I just returned yesterday and had an amazing two weeks (really wish I had more time to spend there).

Does anyone have recommendations on places worth visiting over a long weekend? i.e. is it worth going to Cuba on a Fri-Sun schedule?

Havana is certainly doable for a weekend, I've done it before. Whether it's worth it in terms of paying for a flight, etc. just to be there for a weekend is debatable, and you'll barely scratch the surface of it, but the same could be said of anywhere.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

svenkatesh posted:

It's hard to recommend places worth visiting over a long weekend without knowing where you're flying from. If you're in Vancouver then Havana Fri–Sun sounds like hell, but if you're from Miami that sounds OK.

Though personally I never understood the "36 hours in..." Nytimes appeal of visiting anywhere that requires an international plane flight to get to it, assuming that Fri–Sun means leave Friday evening and return Sunday evening.

svenkatesh
Sep 5, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Saladman posted:

It's hard to recommend places worth visiting over a long weekend without knowing where you're flying from. If you're in Vancouver then Havana Fri–Sun sounds like hell, but if you're from Miami that sounds OK.

Though personally I never understood the "36 hours in..." Nytimes appeal of visiting anywhere that requires an international plane flight to get to it, assuming that Fri–Sun means leave Friday evening and return Sunday evening.

Yeah, it's certainly not ideal. I'd be leaving Friday evening and returning Monday evening (I'd leave during a holiday weekend, like Memorial Day), and I fly out of Philly or NYC.

NYT's "36-hours in" series is useless. It almost always revolves around gastrotourism and watching local shows, neither of which I'm interested in. I usually visit places for adventure tourism (whether that's zip-lining, hiking, or [potentially, I've not done it yet] snorkeling).

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

svenkatesh posted:

What did you do in Peru? I’m going there for two weeks later in the year.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

svenkatesh posted:

I usually visit places for adventure tourism (whether that's zip-lining, hiking, or [potentially, I've not done it yet] snorkeling).

What do you intend to do in Cuba and what part of it are you looking at visiting?

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

svenkatesh posted:

Yeah, it's certainly not ideal. I'd be leaving Friday evening and returning Monday evening (I'd leave during a holiday weekend, like Memorial Day), and I fly out of Philly or NYC.

NYT's "36-hours in" series is useless. It almost always revolves around gastrotourism and watching local shows, neither of which I'm interested in. I usually visit places for adventure tourism (whether that's zip-lining, hiking, or [potentially, I've not done it yet] snorkeling).

If you take the direct flight from NYC then having 2 full days in Havana would be reasonable. You would really need to take Friday off though, since there are no evening flights to Havana (latest daily flight appears to leave at 12:15, but last direct is 10:25am). If you didn't take Friday off it'd be pointless IMO, since the return flight on Monday is at 2:30pm, meaning you get breakfast and then a cab to the airport, so it'd just leave you with Saturday afternoon/evening and Sunday — so there's that 36 hours — which is pretty rough for a 4 hour flight + getting to airport + clearing customs and immigration etc. Havana could be fun for an arrive Friday noon, leave Monday noon weekend. There isn't anything in the way of adventure tourism near Havana, but I guess walking around Havana could be the adventure itself.

Yeah the 36 hours always gets to me. There's something about the way that it times everything to a T that really bothers me. It feels like it's for the Type A travels-to-brag-to-friends-and-not-for-its-own-enjoyment stereotypical of a New York professional rear end in a top hat. I don't think I know anyone who actually enjoys traveling as if it's some kind of checklist and fixed itinerary to be completed, except one girl who actually is just that kind of rear end in a top hat with the humblebrags ("I've been to 35 countries!" k cool you did like 15 countries in Europe in a 2 week trip also who's loving counting).

svenkatesh
Sep 5, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Lady Gaza posted:

What did you do in Peru? I’m going there for two weeks later in the year.

Big picture:
- 2 days in Lima (incl a walking city tour and some guided tours of museums)
- Took a bus to Ica, and from there, a cab to Huacachina, where I did the sandboarding + dune buggy thing. Took a night bus the same day from Ica -> Arequipa
- In Arequipa, did a walking tour and a 2-day Colca Canyon hike. Took a nightbus to Cusco
- In Cusco, did some guided Sacred Valley tours and booked a 5-day Salkantay Trek.

I finished the trek on Friday and was on a plane back home on Saturday. IMO you're better off skipping Lima and Ica/Huacachina entirely. Lima is good if you're interested in eating ceviche and surfing/paragliding (there are reasonably priced places for both) and maybe if you're partying (I wouldn't know, I didn't look into that at all).

In Arequipa, there are other things that I didn't try but was interested in - summitting Misti or Chachani, for example, are not that hard provided you're acclimated. In Cusco, you could similarly try Rainbow Mountain, though I've heard mixed reviews.

Re: Salkantay - if you're going to do it independently (i.e. without a guide), you could easily do it in 3 days or less.

If you're planning to hit up Machu Picchu, try to get a ticket for Huayna Picchu ASAP, since those sell out months in advance. I wasn't able to get a ticket for it, so I did Machu Picchu mountain, which absolutely wasn't worth the hike up.

It was a tight schedule but I was able to get away with booking things either the same day or just the day before.

Re: Cuba - thanks, I'm re-evaluating it. I wouldn't have left Havana so I would've just visited the museums and hung out on the beach. The more I think about it, the less appealing that sounds.

svenkatesh
Sep 5, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
To change subject - has anyone been to Baranquilla's (Colombia) Carnival? I'm going in 2019.

Any tips?

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

svenkatesh posted:

Re: Salkantay - if you're going to do it independently (i.e. without a guide), you could easily do it in 3 days or less.

Just for posterity, Salkantay without a guide is probably slower than with a guide unless you're doing it as a personal challenge. e.g. these guys DIY'd but also show why it's slower than guided https://www.thehikinglife.com/2017/10/salkantay-trek-independent-hikers-guide/ . The guided tours shuttle you to near-ish Soraypampa at the beginning and from somewhere around Lucmabamba at the end to Hidroelectrica, which saves like 20km of walking alongside dirt roads. The actual hiked part of Salktanay Trek for people doing the guided tours is not the full purple part on their map, but for non-guided people that'd be the full route. For some reason the guided tour is usually advertised as a 4 day trek, but the third day is 100% optional. We skipped it, as it's just a shuttle from Lucmabamba to Santa Teresa and hanging out in the thermal baths there, and not at all a hiking day. Out of the 40 of us only 4 of us skipped that day and went straight to Aguas Calientes... which also has thermal baths, although they smell sickeningly of iron.

Even as someone who very much likes DIY and does a lot of mountain hiking and camping, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone unless they're doing like a month-long backpacking trip of Peru and really enjoy DIY, since the price difference is negligible (the Salkantay trek is ±$120, or ±$200 when including MP tickets and transport). You aren't obliged to hike in a big group with your entire bus of 30-40 people, so if you like being solitary you can just go ahead of your group and wait for them at the lunch spot or the evening's campground. I don't particularly enjoy hiking if there are more than 3 or 4 other people around me, so that's what I did.

Definitely need to book Huayna Picchu way in advance! It's crazy how booked up that gets. We didn't meet anyone who did it, since it basically requires you to organize your entire vacation 3 months in advance for that one specific day, and most of the people we met were backpackers doing things more fluidly.

Yeah Lima is great to hang out and party in, with tourists around Miraflores or locals around Viña del Mar, but if you only have like 10 days of vacation it's definitely skippable, since it's basically just like visiting Los Angeles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuicidalSmurf
Feb 12, 2002

yaffle posted:

Costa Rica has some really lovely beaches, esterillos este is amazing and almost deserted, but it can be pricy and I wouldn't go in august, super wet, hot and buggy.

Thanks for everyone's advice so far. If I did want to stick with Costa Rica, would I have better luck in Puerto Viejo in August, and would the prospects be significantly better if I pushed to October? It looks like December - April is the "peak season" but I don't know if I can get time off around there. It looks like Puerto Viejo has some more touristy hub stuff, but also some more natural beaches south and national parks in close proximity?