Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Samuringa posted:

RareAcumen was probably referencing Persona 2 where the party does fail to stop the villain, and the world is destroyed. But the main characters make a deal and get a second chance in other Persona 2.

Nah, I was just saying going into the game fresh it's not like you can be 100% sure on if you win or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

The first time I played Persona 4 I got the ending where Nanako dies and you just go home and it's all sad. While I'm glad that's not the true ending, it was very effective, especially because I didn't know how different any alternate ending would be or if Nanako ever survived at that point.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

il_cornuto posted:

The first time I played Persona 4 I got the ending where Nanako dies and you just go home and it's all sad. While I'm glad that's not the true ending, it was very effective, especially because I didn't know how different any alternate ending would be or if Nanako ever survived at that point.

The first ending I got in Get Even was the bad ending, and both of that game's endings are emotionally satisfying and fit the theme. That's why I'm looking forward to showing them off in my LP.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Rigged Death Trap posted:

SMT games always have some kind of bitter twist to their endings.
You always stop YHWH......'s current plans but the motherfucker is a seriously spiteful god and takes it upon himself to personally gently caress with the protag post-ending if things dont go his way.

So he's biblically accurate.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Neddy Seagoon posted:

:wrong:

You can buy and view them at the information brokers. It's definitely a dumb system, but they're still there.

This would make perfect sense but no, when you buy something from an info broker you just get a short sentence or two about the topic, not a detailed explanation. Even if the topic is a gameplay mechanic that was already explained in depth in a tutorial earlier.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Rigged Death Trap posted:

SMT games always have some kind of bitter twist to their endings.
You always stop YHWH......'s current plans but the motherfucker is a seriously spiteful god and takes it upon himself to personally gently caress with the protag post-ending if things dont go his way.

:negative: Digital Devil Saga 2's story twists never fail to work on me even though I've played through both games more than once.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Push El Burrito posted:

I mean, considering how Persona 3 ended I could see them just saying "gently caress it, we're killing this guy off before the game ends."

They won't do that again though, they can't waste the spinoff potential.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

StandardVC10 posted:

They won't do that again though, they can't waste the spinoff potential.

Nah, gotta do it again. Then they can released the HD updated re-release where there's an ending with him living that ties right in to the spinoffs.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
In Dragon Ball Fighterz, when you deflect ki blasts they go flying off into the background and actually gently caress it up. It's very cool and good.

Also the best part of Monster Hunter Worlds right now is I get to watch a whole bunch of new people discover the palicoes.

bookkeeper
Jul 14, 2010

it means "the kapital"

TGLT posted:

Also the best part of Monster Hunter Worlds right now is I get to watch a whole bunch of new people discover the palicoes.

Once it comes out for PC, I will be able to live out all my wildest fantasies, like owning a cat

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

bookkeeper posted:

Once it comes out for PC, I will be able to live out all my wildest fantasies, like owning a cat

Palicos are unwaveringly loyal and helpful though

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

A beautiful blend of cat, dog, and toddler.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWwJpUvnta4

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Biplane posted:

In AssCreed Origins you can hallucinate if youre out in the desert for too long, and like weird hosed up animals will start appearing in the distance. I actually spent ten minutes trying to chase them down until I figured it out.

There's also one of a guy that's pointing in a random direction. If you follow the direction he's pointing you find another guy pointing somewhere and so on. Ultimately leads you to the closest town

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

The lightbar on the Dualshock 4 changes color to match the eyes of the Colossus in the Shadow of the Colossus Remake. I didn't notice this until the very last one.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm getting around to parts of Horizon I never bothered with. namely the Hunter's Trial Grounds, and I'm surprised at how much of a pain they aren't- I was expecting the challenges to be really annoying, but they are, at least this early, surprisingly easy to Blazing Sun. Also that guy at ValleyMeet Trial Grounds is a total weenie and I love him.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

BioEnchanted posted:

I'm getting around to parts of Horizon I never bothered with. namely the Hunter's Trial Grounds, and I'm surprised at how much of a pain they aren't- I was expecting the challenges to be really annoying, but they are, at least this early, surprisingly easy to Blazing Sun. Also that guy at ValleyMeet Trial Grounds is a total weenie and I love him.

None of them are that genuinely hard except for the DLC hunting grounds, and most have a gimmick that makes them significantly easier. If you're not going to get Gold you can just pause and reload from your last save, you'll start right back from the bonfire.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Also if you're finding them a challenge, especially the dlc ones, just turn the difficulty down to very easy and they become a breeze

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Fortify a turret in Prey and it thanks you. :3:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Morpheus posted:

Also if you're finding them a challenge, especially the dlc ones, just turn the difficulty down to very easy and they become a breeze

I used to play games on easy because I'm bad at them, but now I prefer to stick to normal and just persevere - eventually I'll figure out what I'm doing wrong and get better at the game. Otherwise when I get to an fight that is tricky regardless of difficulty, with easy mode stopping me learning the systems properly I'd probably just get frustrated. There are amusing inversions though, I enjoyed the first story of 99 Nights (the main character was a total psycho and I wanted to see if she got better and redeemed herself or worse and become the final boss), but never beat the 2nd story onwards due to the dynamic difficulty - I played too well as the first main character so for the first level of character 2 it bumped the difficulty super high thinking I could handle it - I could not, and unfortunately dying a bunch didn't drop the difficulty again, the curve just stonewalled me.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Man I'm glad you had an easy time with the Hunting Ground challenges because I was so bad at them eventually I just caved and looked up a video on how do because stealth is hard and I'm an idiot.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I feel like they gave the palicos a litte too much leg.

I wonder if they did that so they can just mocap

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Went back to Pandora's Tower because I have some cleanup to do, exploring the towers in the postgame for the red doors, some of them with post-game lore for Elena to translate and some new outfits for Elena to wear - something I like is that Elena keeps changing outfits, she doesn't just wear the latest thing you gave her. It feels like we are actually living in the observatory because it's obvious she's doing some laundry to keep her increasingly varied array of dresses.

Also, so far none of them are sexualised - they are just standard dresses, some strapless of course, but all covering between about mid-thigh and just below the collarbone at their smallest - as a result when playing Anime Dress Up it feels less skeevy than in other games because there aren't any bikinis or slit dresses, just the sort of thing a lady might wear to a party, or a stylish apron for housework. Just cute outfits :3: The colours and styles vary a lot too. It's a shame most of them are post-game only.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

graybook posted:

Fortify a turret in Prey and it thanks you. :3:

I just started playing this last week and heard all the hubbub about mimics ages ago. What I wasn't expecting was how quickly you can lose them as they morph on the fly and you have to try and figure out what random bit of debris you aren't so sure you already walked past.
Kind of walks a fine line between annoying and nerve wracking but that's probably the best place to be for that kind of creature.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Sad lions posted:

I just started playing this last week and heard all the hubbub about mimics ages ago. What I wasn't expecting was how quickly you can lose them as they morph on the fly and you have to try and figure out what random bit of debris you aren't so sure you already walked past.
Kind of walks a fine line between annoying and nerve wracking but that's probably the best place to be for that kind of creature.

Nothing is quite so fun as seeing two coffee cups suspiciously close together on a desk, blasting them a shotgun and then realising that maybe that dude just drank a load of coffee.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Man, Iconoclasts really goes places you really wouldn't expect from the beginning.

loving love that boss battle music. https://polsy.org.uk/play/yt/?vurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DR-ELqsrAEW4

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Started playing a rather interesting game based off the Carmen Sandiego cartoon The Secret of the Stolen Drums, with the objective in each level being collect 5 compasses to narrow down where Carmen has gone next, I've just got through the first level.

It's done a decent job introducing the mechanics, although I'm having trouble mounting ladders, the jumping puzzles so far just need patience as the main character's turn radius is a little too big. Most of the combat comes down to 2 things - stealthing around Carmen's robots to hit them from behind, getting parts of a code to open the forcefield at the end of the room, which is a little wonky, but is lenient enough to work and have some semblance of strategy. The other side of it is the mystical enemy types, that are varied, and come in some interesting designs despite the generic archetypal nature of them (big guy that pounds with his fists, giant shrimp that can shoot water and spawn on beaches) which you just beat up as they spawn in, some infinite, some apparently not.

Also they are doing a decent job with Carmen's characterization - the first you see of her in the first level is her dodging around the first mystical enemy, just showing off until you distract it and she runs off to her speedboat. She's obviously having fun.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Nothing is quite so fun as seeing two coffee cups suspiciously close together on a desk, blasting them a shotgun and then realising that maybe that dude just drank a load of coffee.

My first play through saw a lot of wrench use, and very few intact coffee cups.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Avenging_Mikon posted:

My first play through saw a lot of wrench use, and very few intact coffee cups.

Morgan Yu in the streets, Isaac Clarke in the sheets.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Monster Hunter World really goes out of its way to make each weapon type feel super cool, and there's not really any penalty to trying something new.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

food court bailiff posted:

Monster Hunter World really goes out of its way to make each weapon type feel super cool, and there's not really any penalty to trying something new.

I love the lack of penalty for switching up weapons. Too many games give you a dozen unique and interesting weapons and then add some kind of upgrade or affinity system so you can really only use one or two effectively.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Bloodborne comes to mind as one guilty of that. You can only max maybe two weapons in a play through. Getting to +6 isn't too hard and with some effort you can make several +9s, but a lot of weapons, even very good ones, are locked until after you've probably already settled into a build. Making a chikage build, for example, requires not only knowing the weapon you want, which is in a really well hidden optional area, but beelining the primary path with sub optimal weapons until you can actually kill the boss they are locked behind. Get there normally and you are almost certainly not going to have a build that makes good use of it, and with no respec you need to either pump several levels into catching up and maybe over level, or you just leave it in your shop.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I'm not sure if it was this thread or the bad thread, but somebody mentioned how the starting blitzball team in Final Fantasy X eventually were really good, but not in their original roles and it just hit me how well that meshes with the storyline of the game, breaking out of the old ways because they do not work.

Also, apropos of nothing, while I was writing this, this song came on and it syncs really goddamn well with marshmallow creep's avatar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fczC9FnL6M0

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

I'm untouchable thanks to these pills.
I finished Celeste a few days ago and during one of the cutscenes, Dark Madeline slowly crawls out of her icon in her text box as she's taking over the game and getting more powerful. It was a really cool way to show her influence over Madeline and genuinely kinda scary. I've never seen that happen in a game before.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

As of level 3 of Carmen Sandiego: Secret of the Stolen Drums, Machu Picchu, the obstacles have started intertwining in interesting ways.

The first level was almost exclusively robots, needed the tutorial because they are the trickiest part so far, then the second level keeps the mystic enemies corralled away from the robot stealth. also the second level had 4 puzzle pieces to the first levels 1 but they were all in one place and the Main Statue was at the end of both levels.

Now there are 6 puzzle pieces in varying places throughout the Machu PIcchu level, the robots are starting to have each other's backs meaning that there is now strategy to the stealth, and sometimes the mystical enemies can be close enough to the robots that it causes concern, only because you don't want a robot to hear the fighting and join in because they can only be hurt with stealth. Starting to get kind of engaging now. There's design here and it's getting fun. The levels are also kind of pretty. :3:

Also some of the writing has been funny so far so I'm liking the style. Particularly the interrogation banter between the Trainee and the Chief (who is mad that the Trainee ignored multiple direct orders from the chief and went after Carmen himself because the other agents were too out of the way).

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 22:04 on Feb 12, 2018

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

samu3lk posted:

I finished Celeste a few days ago and during one of the cutscenes, Dark Madeline slowly crawls out of her icon in her text box as she's taking over the game and getting more powerful. It was a really cool way to show her influence over Madeline and genuinely kinda scary. I've never seen that happen in a game before.

This was insanely cool and very striking

Celeste is such a good game

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
On one hand being able to see how much time I spent in shadow of War is a bit upsetting, but on the other hand I now know I've gone nearly 400 hours with the game and barely any of the orc dialogue has been heard twice.

That is insane.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

A neat trick in the Louvre level - there are cover objects that the robots patrol around, but they aren't any use as cover - because they are display cases. They are glass, the robots can see right through them. Pretty tricky but interesting, suddenly had to treat the rooms as if they were empty.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The demo of the original Crash Bandicoot in Uncharted 4 wasn't emulated, they actually completely recreated it in the Uncharted engine and then used a bunch of post-processing tricks to make it look like a PSX game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFU1l2tq_uk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Guy Mann posted:

The demo of the original Crash Bandicoot in Uncharted 4 wasn't emulated, they actually completely recreated it in the Uncharted engine and then used a bunch of post-processing tricks to make it look like a PSX game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFU1l2tq_uk

Holy poo poo, why!? I love it, that is jaw-droppingly clever, but WHY!?