Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

toasterwarrior posted:

Hah, that's weird, because ever since the patch Barak Varr has been guaranteed to die due to the sheer amount of Greenskins they start at war with. Karak Azul lasts longer than they do, but then again Karak Azul has always been strangely resilient despite being up to their necks in Greenskins.

Oh don’t get me wrong, Barak Varr dies early and stupidly. But they love dying by being super aggressive against Wurrzag and the blue orcs, to the point that the orcs they share a province with will just walk in and take the capital.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sabbathi
Sep 20, 2017

Kaza42 posted:

The diary had the armies of Ulric singing "Men of Harlech" with some words changed out that doesn't quite scan. Specifically the version of the song from Zulu.

This is the most beautiful thing I've read.

There's just something so amazingly stupid about this.

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

So, are vortex campaigns worth finishing? My lizardman campaign is pretty fun, but I kind of don't know if I feel like cleaning up skaven infested south America with corruption everywhere, or trekking through the dark elf mountains that I can't colonize. Is the final battle cool?

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Third World Reggin posted:

Really wondering if the diplomacy mod that removes confederations would be a fun play through or not.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1159028779

Or if there was some sort of limiter on nation size compared to your own.

I use this but I edited it to let wood elves and bretonnia confederate. You may also want the empire to be able to do so also, or use the mod that prevents empire factions from declaring war on each other. Vamps are almost guaranteed to go nuts on the world otherwise.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Jeremor posted:

So, are vortex campaigns worth finishing? My lizardman campaign is pretty fun, but I kind of don't know if I feel like cleaning up skaven infested south America with corruption everywhere, or trekking through the dark elf mountains that I can't colonize. Is the final battle cool?

It's worth once, just to say you did it, the final battle has a cool skybox but the actual battle is a bit lame.

The Tomb King campaign on the Vortex Map is a lot better to be honest.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Jeremor posted:

The cool part about the vortex campaign is that you don't have to have to do that to beat it.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

This supposedly makes the AI treat the player kind of equally but I can't really tell if it makes a huge difference
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1196729342

I've used this on a couple of Mortal Empires games now, and I can confirm that it does indeed change the AI's behavior substantially, especially when Chaos is involved. I consider it an essential mod now, because I do not enjoy being dogpiled by Every Chaos Stack Ever which merrily waltz through my carefully managed buffer states without so much as entering raid stance (let alone being attacked by those allies, heaven forfend) until they get to my cities.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I was looking at what else might be added in like Warhams 3 and I remembered the Ogre Kingdoms are a thing. Then I read up in the wiki to refresh my memory on their fluff and I forgot they're just kinda gross. They're like the Beastmen where it's all just about killing and eating and that's all there is like it's some kind of lovely Heavy Metal comic.

At least the Orcs and Skaven have a lot more going on than just eating people and they're written tongue in cheek so their violence is more slapstick than grimdark blood and guts.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Huh? The impression I got was that the Ogres are one of the more tongue-in-cheek factions. They may be cannibals, but they're jolly cannibals.

I mean, just look at the maneaters.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
Beastmen are way worse than the Ogres if you dig deep enough into their lore.

As for Ogres, yes they are a bit gross in that they might end up eating anything and anyone but there are layers to it, and you can't say you don't love the idea of Ogres who've managed to transplant themselves into EVERY faction there is, up to using their clothing and mannerisms:

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
The Ogres are jolly cannibals with a mercenary streak, so they can either go horde or established kingdom. The mercenary part is important, because unlike Greenskins who just want to kick everyone's rear end, Ogres are both cool with either eating you alive/eating your enemies alive.

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

I am still so excited to see how they'll be implemented. Ogres could be really different than any other faction unless they go the boring route and have 15 Gnoblar variations and your force is just Gnoblars sprinkled with some Ogres.

I just hope they're Minotaur Charge: The Faction

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

What's the way to beat Dark Elfs as Empire? I've been flooding these nerds with spears and crossbows but it's not really working as well as it probably should-- their cavalry (and melee) tears my spears/halberds up and their ranged always outclasses all my poo poo, especially their darkshards. I tried having a combined arms thing of reiksguard, spears/halberds, crossbows, and some mortars/rockets but their cavalry always outclasses all my poo poo and their darkshards are way way better at killing dudes than my crossbows.

I mean I can always just cheese the autoresolve by bringing 3 stacks of spears, halberds, mortars, and crossbows I guess, but then that means I only have the one mass running around.

I could bring like 5 light wizards and nothing but handguns, crossbows, and cavalry maybe.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
If TKs are the "unit caps, everything's 'free'" faction, I'd like to see Ogres as a faction that doesn't have to run full stacks all the time since their units are that good (sans Gnoblars). Maybe a funny effect where Ogres inflict raid penalties on whatever province they're in, with more Ogres in an army increasing the penalties, which also piss off the faction that owns the province/region. So you have to keep raising hell for your patron's enemies, until there's just no more things to eat and you have to turn on your buddies to stay solvent.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Ok those guys are pretty cool so maybe modern Ogres are cool. I just got to the part where the starving ogres swarmed up the mountains to eat the Sky Titans bite by bite and I was all blech

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

toasterwarrior posted:

The Ogres are jolly cannibals with a mercenary streak, so they can either go horde or established kingdom. The mercenary part is important, because unlike Greenskins who just want to kick everyone's rear end, Ogres are both cool with either eating you alive/eating your enemies alive.

Are they actually cannibals per se, or just will eat anything that they can fit in their mouth up to and including dirt.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

turn off the TV posted:

Are they actually cannibals per se, or just will eat anything that they can fit in their mouth up to and including dirt.

What's a "cannibal per se".

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Does Crysnos change Beastmen somehow? I just started a Tretch ME game and by turn 31, there are 3 Warherd factions running around the DE lands, laying waste to everyone. Karond is gone, Naggarond only has its capitol, Hag Graef is gone, Morathi is gone. It's absolutely loving nuts and I live in fear of the day they turn their eyes on me.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It’s been 10 or 15 years since I first saw the pirate ogre and I just now realized that he doesn’t have a parrot, he has a gnoblar dressed as a parrot.

Also, I’m interested in seeing how their sieges work since they presumably can’t scale or hold walls. On offense they’ll still have bigass cannons and handcannon line troops, and the ogres will all be decent at just punching down gates, but it might be interesting if they could build a special bigass battering ram that could hit walls/towers.

They’re alongside TK as one of the weirdest factions in terms of mechanics so I’m excited to see how they go.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

turn off the TV posted:

Yes, they are actual cannibals, in that the usual reward for the victorious Ogre fighting another over a leadership position, apart from leadership, also includes getting to eat the loser.

They're more of omnicarnivores, I guess; they'll eat anything with meat.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It’s been 10 or 15 years since I first saw the pirate ogre and I just now realized that he doesn’t have a parrot, he has a gnoblar dressed as a parrot.
:aaaaa:

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Just a reminder that Maneaters wander the world as mercenaries, trying to find and learn the most powerful fighting style there is. This particular Maneater stumbled upon a housewife with a rolling pin and was /convinced/.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

toasterwarrior posted:

Yes, they are actual cannibals, in that the usual reward for the victorious Ogre fighting another over a leadership position, apart from leadership, also includes getting to eat the loser.

They're more of omnicarnivores, I guess; they'll eat anything with meat.

Still, they can at least be reasoned with, in that they realize that raiding a village will give lots of food for a month, while extracting tribute will give food for years. If the ogres are just passing by, bad luck.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

SHISHKABOB posted:

What's a "cannibal per se".

per se, as in by necessity or without external factors. Chickens eat each other, but I think that people would describe them as omnivores before cannibals. Chickens do not exclusively eat other chickens, but will if they have to.

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Also, I’m interested in seeing how their sieges work since they presumably can’t scale or hold walls. On offense they’ll still have bigass cannons and handcannon line troops, and the ogres will all be decent at just punching down gates, but it might be interesting if they could build a special bigass battering ram that could hit walls/towers.

They’re alongside TK as one of the weirdest factions in terms of mechanics so I’m excited to see how they go.

Gnoblars on wall duty I guess, unless they change the mechanic and allow Ogres to man walls. I'm not sure why we just can't put Trolls etc. on walls.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Ogres own*, haters vacate.

*except for greasus goldtooth, who had a lovely model and is the ogre equivalent of a mary sue

it's been a little while, so here's a series of screenshots I dub "The Peasant's Lot." Yell at me and I'll tmg them

We fight as grail companions! :downs:

Fight lads, it's the only way!

THE LADY'S BLESSING IS LOST :supaburn:

Walking trees? That doesn't sound so bad...

Fuligin fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Feb 9, 2018

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

um, Greasus is absolutely beautiful

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Mordja posted:

Huh? The impression I got was that the Ogres are one of the more tongue-in-cheek factions. They may be cannibals, but they're jolly cannibals.

I mean, just look at the maneaters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtvmTu4zAMg

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.
Through a combination of mods, diplomacy mechanics, and sheer luck I was finally able to confederate Arkhan with Settra in ME. He didn't give me his Book o Nagash but he has his mount and weapons and works fine in battle.

Not sure if anyone else wanted to break the lore like this, I can try and tell how I went about it if people are interested.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Iirc ogres aren’t even actually fat. The pot belly is a crazy mutated 30 rack of ab, protecting a complex gut that can handily digest bleach

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Truecon420 posted:

Through a combination of mods, diplomacy mechanics, and sheer luck I was finally able to confederate Arkhan with Settra in ME. He didn't give me his Book o Nagash but he has his mount and weapons and works fine in battle.

Not sure if anyone else wanted to break the lore like this, I can try and tell how I went about it if people are interested.

Hopefully it dealt with the fact that the trait you get for beating Arkhan in battle gives you a bonus to relations with Tomb Kings factions, which happens to include Arkhan. :v:

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

I'm a page late to songchat but now I want AssCreed Black Flag shanties, but for your units that are winning their fights

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009
What's the trick to nabbing Marienburg early as Empire without having to start a slapfight with the French? I've seen people suggesting declaring war on them turn 1 to spur them into recruiting enough troops to repel Liony Lionlion's inevitable assault, but I've not had chance to try it yet. Heading straight there from Altdorf on turn 1 leaves just enough time for Franceman to lay his claim to their walls and obviously Franz/Gelt/Volkmar are too polite to just build siege towers on the opposite side. Though the yakketty sax race to beat them to the control point would be something I'd pay DLC price for.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Just keep them there, they can fund their own permanent war with the Norse and will never attack you and will pay you 1/3 their potential taxes in trade.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Iirc ogres aren’t even actually fat. The pot belly is a crazy mutated 30 rack of ab, protecting a complex gut that can handily digest bleach

:same:

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(

MilitantBlackGuy posted:

I am still so excited to see how they'll be implemented. Ogres could be really different than any other faction unless they go the boring route and have 15 Gnoblar variations and your force is just Gnoblars sprinkled with some Ogres.

I just hope they're Minotaur Charge: The Faction

gently caress you Gnoblars owns and i would gladly take a faction of only Gnoblars :colbert:

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Will either of these mods disable achievements? Or is it all mods disable them? I have a Queeck campaign idea and it'd be kinda nice to get credit for them. Not enough I won't use the mods, but kinda nice.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1220118747
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1208757053&searchtext=

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

MilitantBlackGuy posted:

I just hope they're Minotaur Gut Charge: The Faction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

Will either of these mods disable achievements? Or is it all mods disable them? I have a Queeck campaign idea and it'd be kinda nice to get credit for them. Not enough I won't use the mods, but kinda nice.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1220118747
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1208757053&searchtext=

Pretty sure no mods disable achievements, you should be good