Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ebacho
Oct 26, 2010
Good to know, thanks. I feel like I haven't been out to R1 in forever mostly out of laziness so Cannonballers would be a good motivator, but it is what it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
After our last trip to Round 1 my roommate seems to have taken a liking to CROSSxBEATS to the point where she's showing me touchscreen monitors she's willing to buy if I can replicate the experience at home. From what I can tell, the arcade version is sort of a spinoff of the "main" version which is iOS. I'm assuming this means no one's really bothered to, uh, replicate the arcade version for home users, but I was wondering if there was a way to use an iOS emulator on a PC with a touchscreen to approximate the experience? I know nothing about iOS emulation or input devices for it or how available CROSSxBEATS is for USA users.

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family

garfield hentai posted:

After our last trip to Round 1 my roommate seems to have taken a liking to CROSSxBEATS to the point where she's showing me touchscreen monitors she's willing to buy if I can replicate the experience at home. From what I can tell, the arcade version is sort of a spinoff of the "main" version which is iOS. I'm assuming this means no one's really bothered to, uh, replicate the arcade version for home users, but I was wondering if there was a way to use an iOS emulator on a PC with a touchscreen to approximate the experience? I know nothing about iOS emulation or input devices for it or how available CROSSxBEATS is for USA users.

Well, if you have $9000 lying around....http://crunchytech.com/padzilla-40-inch-frameless-giant-ipad-iphone/

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
That's not really what I was going for no

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!
CxB is pay to play on iOS so you will not be able to get the experience at home unless your roommate is willing to constantly throw money at it.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
Technically that WOULD be the experience since it's a dollar per play or whatever at Round 1 so....

Oh well I figured it would somehow be undoable or else I'd have heard more about it. Thanks for the input.

ebacho
Oct 26, 2010
So much of the actual Crossbeats experience is memorization that you'd probably get a lot of mileage out of just miming the motions while playing a video-out of the chart on a tablet or something. It actually works pretty well if you want to get good at the game without spending a ton of money.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
That makes sense from the point of view of this thread but I don't think she's super interested in getting good at it necessarily. She likes DDR but we can't play it on the third floor of our apartment and she doesn't like IIDX because it's too hard and she has no interest at getting any better because the whole things an exercise in frustration. CROSSxBEATS seems to just fit the niche of a game that has music she likes that's interactive and she can play along with without having to put a lot of effort into it.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
my dude have you tried SOUND VOLTEX

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Sapozhnik posted:

my dude have you tried SOUND VOLTEX

sound voltex is a very good game whose difficulty goes from "hell yeah another AAA" to "wait what oh god" real quick

this may be due to my giant uncoordinated fingers which I manage to jam into the dials and injure whenever I play

but I've watched high level players play and that poo poo is just absurd, like I can mostly follow Another 12 charts in IIDX but the hardest voltex stuff just makes my brain melt

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
I did try and enjoy it myself but I have no god drat clue what I'm doing in the menus or what all the badges I'm unlocking on my eamuse account so or what. At the very least there's gotta be a way to move to the next difficulty level without scrolling through each individual song

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

garfield hentai posted:

I did try and enjoy it myself but I have no god drat clue what I'm doing in the menus or what all the badges I'm unlocking on my eamuse account so or what. At the very least there's gotta be a way to move to the next difficulty level without scrolling through each individual song

There is. If you press FX-L on the music select screen, you can pick a category to sort by, including difficulty levels.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

I had never actually seen it before but playing the groove coaster arcade machine was pretty fun but then seeing the difference between the charts I could do like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cNpptU_enk

and then seeing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8vmG08gNps

dang taito what's up....

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Round1 Greensboro, NC has it's grand opening this saturday, January 27th.

Questions about IIDX and Pop'N:

What do I need to know when I buy an E-Amuse Card for the first time?

-Can I use the same one for PnM and IIDX?

-On IIDX, I want to clear the highest Dan course I can do first so I unlock my difficulty level songs in Step Up mode. This seemed to be the case in Sinobuz, is Step Up still the way to go in Ballers?

1) Buy Card
2) Insert Card, register DJ Name
3) Pick Dan mode and clear the hardest one I can
4) Spam Step Up

Am I missing anything?

-Are screen-lag-timing settings automatic in IIDX? I'm not talking about the green number, but that option in the advanced menu where you compensate for monitor lag.

Pop'N:

-How do I sort songs by Mix? My old Round1 had Tune Street and I couldn't figure it out. I don't know if they're gonna have Eclale or Tune Street. I am most interested in playing my old favorites from like, Cafe` through Fever and I can never find them quick enough on the main song select screen.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Elephunk posted:

Questions about IIDX and Pop'N:

There's not much to know about a new eAmuse card. Just buy it and tap it into your first game, where you'll have to register and agree to the terms and conditions and whatnot. eAmuse cards are compatible with the latest versions of all Konami arcade games, not just Bemani games, so you're set for IIDX and Pop'N and DDRA (even the US version!) and everything else. It also keeps between versions of those games, obviously.

Elephunk posted:

-On IIDX, I want to clear the highest Dan course I can do first so I unlock my difficulty level songs in Step Up mode. This seemed to be the case in Sinobuz, is Step Up still the way to go in Ballers?

1) Buy Card
2) Insert Card, register DJ Name
3) Pick Dan mode and clear the hardest one I can
4) Spam Step Up

Am I missing anything?

-Are screen-lag-timing settings automatic in IIDX? I'm not talking about the green number, but that option in the advanced menu where you compensate for monitor lag.

You might want to have a game or two of standard play first to dial-in your timing settings/green number/lane cover and whatnot. The lag/delay settings are in the advanced options menu, which you can access from the regular options menu by pressing VEFX (or EFFECT, one of the two) while holding down START on the regular options menu. (You will initially see the basic options menu, which you can clear by hitting the appropriate VEFX/EFFECT button as noted.)

I don't play Pop'N so I can't answer your last question!

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

quote:

What do I need to know when I buy an E-Amuse Card for the first time?

Get hold of one as soon as possible, because there usually aren't enough to go around. You can use the same card for every Konami game that has a modern reader. If you can get hold of one now from Ebay or another player, then go for it. Trying to play some Bemani games without one is absolutely miserable.

quote:

On IIDX, I want to clear the highest Dan course I can do first so I unlock my difficulty level songs in Step Up mode.

Your plan is good. Current Dan courses are here :

http://www.bemaniwiki.com/index.php?beatmania%20IIDX%2025%20CANNON%20BALLERS%2F%C3%CA%B0%CC%C7%A7%C4%EA

quote:

[Are screen-lag-timing settings automatic in IIDX?

It doesn't adjust as you play, if that's what you mean?

After you play the Dan course, and have time to experiment :

Press Start to bring up the (basic) modifiers menu.
Press Effect to enable the (full) modifiers menu.
Press VEFX to enter the Options tab.

To the right of the Timing Offset bar is "Target Position", and right of that is "Fast/Slow Position". Set Fast/Slow to Type B and play a few credits.
The results screen tells you how many notes you hit Early/Late. When you start seeing a pattern, go back into Options tab and start experimenting with the Timing Offset bar.
If you have significantly more 'Fast' notes, move the bar upwards.
If you have significantly more 'Slow' notes, move the bar downwards.
If there's only a 50 note difference between the two, it's probably fine for now.

Moving the Timing Offset isn't going to change much if you haven't played in a while, and you're more likely to improve your scoring by finding a good Green Number and White Number.

quote:

-How do I sort songs by Mix?

When it prompts you with "yes" or "no", it's asking if you'd like to play the tutorial. Choose blue to skip it.

On the song select, use the green buttons to scroll through the catagories. The ones you'll use the most are :

Sort by Mix (A green Pop-kun)
Sort by Title (A green Treble-clef)
Sort by Level (A green podium)

You can hit the "00" button on the Eamuse numpad to switch between the songlist displaying genre names, or song title names.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Elephunk posted:

For the offset, I used something radically different than I do at home -- which is to say, something between +0.2 and -0.2. I've never truly dialed it in to be "perfect" so I just bounce +/- 0.1 at a time depending on how it feels any given day (e.g. variances in monitor checks, maybe I had a beer or two before playing, etc.) I spent a weekend playing at Round 1 last month and I ended up at something like +1.3 before it started feeling on time to me. YMMV for sure, since I've spent infinitely more time playing at home with headphones and a 27" monitor multiple feet in front of me, and an arcade machine with a 37" monitor right in front of your face is just not the same at all. Because of this, all of my settings ended up being quite different. Different green number (around 310 instead of the usual ~295), different sud+/lift numbers, etc.

Speaking of headphones, the machines at this particular Round 1 had headphone amps built into them, so consider bringing a set if you prefer them!

enojy fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jan 25, 2018

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
I think my popn setup has a bit of lag but im not sure. would + on the offset be the way to go to check

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show
You should have no problems using an eamuse card in the games but one gotcha is that you have to be sure to register your estate.573.jp web account as Japanese instead of USA otherwise you will be locked out of loading and using PASELI (Konami bux). R1 USA machines don’t have PASELI play modes available but you need PASELI to buy the basic eamuse subscription to set all your lane customizations and rival options for IIDX.

Pop’n music isn’t online or the newest version at any USA R1 for Reasons™ so you will be playing that as a guest and probably be playing Sengoku Retsuden or Tune Street.

Potassium Problems
Sep 28, 2001
preemptive post on how to register a Japanese account! details are here, courtesy of RemiWiki, and you can buy & get BitCash for PASELI from SEA Gamer Mall (register an account, buy the card & the card redemption code will be in your account details. Follow the "Managing PASELI" links from the RemiWiki article to redeem it)

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

oh actually I can't set offset on popn, huh?

VgameT
Dec 31, 2007

therefore I only muttered "neu"
Yeah, Pop’n doesn’t have offset adjustment, for some reason. You just get to deal with the monitor you got.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Potassium Problems posted:

preemptive post on how to register a Japanese account! details are here, courtesy of RemiWiki, and you can buy & get BitCash for PASELI from SEA Gamer Mall (register an account, buy the card & the card redemption code will be in your account details. Follow the "Managing PASELI" links from the RemiWiki article to redeem it)

I did this a while back and it's pretty easy! I need to do it again, I'll be working in the south office more for a while, next to Round1. I haven't been there in a while now, shameful.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Cannon Ballers is up and running at Round 1 Stonecrest (Atlanta) so I know what I'm doing this weekend. :getin:

(at least, once I'm done packing and loading up our PODS)

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

No Pop'N machine in Greensboro. Very sad. I told them it was missing on Facebook and Twitter.

Cannon Ballers is super awesome. The cameras are sweet. You turn them on in the advanced options menu.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Well, I finally finished packing up for our move, so now I should be free to go to Round 1 tonight. I was kinda hoping to avoid the weekend crowds anyway. And they're open 'till 2 AM on weekdays, too! I'm just glad I'll be able to try out Cannon Ballers before I miss my chance.

I'm gonna miss that place, but we're moving to NJ and I'll be a half-hour drive from 8 on the Break, so I think I'll be just fine.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Round 1 Indianapolis please!

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Cannon Ballers is hella good. I played so much and I had the machine all to myself tonight. I love playing on a machine that's in pristine condition.

I started with Alpheratz [A] and got a C on it. Ouch, hella rusty. So I re-passed 6dan and just played a lot of 8s and 9s in Standard and Step Up. After a few hours, I played Alpheratz again as my final song of the night and got a solid A.

Managed to pass a couple new 10s, too.

The camera feature is neat but it really highlights the scars on my right hand. :gonk:

I'm gonna miss Round 1.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

DizzyBum posted:

After a few hours,

oh god, how

after, like, an hour and a half my hands / wrists are in agony. Do you guys have a good muscle relaxer / local anesthetic I can just inject into my broken old man joints

I need to try using a stool again, it may be height.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

DizzyBum posted:

Cannon Ballers is up and running at Round 1 Stonecrest (Atlanta) so I know what I'm doing this weekend. :getin:

(at least, once I'm done packing and loading up our PODS)

I wanna go back but that drive from central FL kinda sucked. Maybe if I stayed like a week or so instead of just under 48 hours, but then again, I was pretty over it by the end of the weekend. See: Code Jockey's "gently caress my wrists and standing up the entire weekend in a powerstance" comments.

That reminds me, I really intend on contacting Round 1 to advertise my local mall to them. I feel like it checks all the marks for what seems to be their MO; a rinky-dink mall about 20 minutes outside of a huge tourist city.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Code Jockey posted:

oh god, how

after, like, an hour and a half my hands / wrists are in agony. Do you guys have a good muscle relaxer / local anesthetic I can just inject into my broken old man joints

I need to try using a stool again, it may be height.

I'm 6'5". I always grab one of the tall stools from where the darts are set up and use that. Otherwise it would destroy my back, even with powerstancing.

And to be fair, I did take breaks after every few rounds and played other games, too. But it was mostly IIDX last night.

enojy posted:

I wanna go back but that drive from central FL kinda sucked. Maybe if I stayed like a week or so instead of just under 48 hours, but then again, I was pretty over it by the end of the weekend. See: Code Jockey's "gently caress my wrists and standing up the entire weekend in a powerstance" comments.

That reminds me, I really intend on contacting Round 1 to advertise my local mall to them. I feel like it checks all the marks for what seems to be their MO; a rinky-dink mall about 20 minutes outside of a huge tourist city.

Ouch. I love Bemani but that's the kind of drive I reserve for vacations and cons.

That is pretty much the target for Round 1 in USA, so I'd say it's only a matter of time. :v:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Speaking of Round 1, I finally made it to my Round 1 and holy poo poo Cannon Ballers is amazing

This is by far the best UI / menu / announcer in a long, long time, if not ever. It all just looks so good and the announcer's ridiculous enthusiasm is great. Also Round 1 changed out the button lights, cabinet / control panel art, the works. They just changed marquee and promo cardboard things for Copula. Played a bunch of rounds on my lunch today, did alright for not having even played my home setup in like two months.

I did however manage my first full combo in SVDX today. :toot: I've never done that before, I've gotten great scores, but I always gently caress something up. Usually moving a dial slightly wrong, or letting go of an FX hold note too early, or something. It was on an easier Advanced 7 song, but still, I'm proud drat it!

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Some more trip reports because I've been back to Round1 NC twice this week. I'm an addict.

This is my first time playing with e-amusement, even though I've probably logged hundreds of days of playtime at home.

I wiki'd 7Dan, and said "oh, I can pass this". However, on the screen, I scrolled DOWN, and I picked 7Kyu instead. I went back and beat 7Dan (and 8Dan), but it was too late. My Step Up started at level 1s.

EX-HARD and Full Combos let me get to 7-star difficulty in about three or four games, but that was still a stupid mistake. It's nice to be working on easier charts though, because I still don't have a green number or a sudden+ setting that I really like. I guess that's one good thing to come from my $10 mistake.

The camera is awesome. Random people watching (my fans) get more hype. Nobody else in NC plays it seems; I'm Rank #1 at the store. Some other 30-something guy was there playing DDR in his gym shorts, he was all in shape and healthy looking. He was only picking old songs (CSFIL Speed mix, bag, Era nostalmix, etc.) which made me chuckle. I meditated on the difference between our music game life choices as I watched him get a solid workout in while I sat on my stool drinking beer, hitting a oil pen, and unlocking anime tiddy result screens.

Today is TIME HELL mode day, you get 8 minutes of playtime and have to use a Hard or EX-Hard gauge that doesn't refill. I'll probably stop by and check it out because I drive past the place on my way home from work and I have no self-control.

This is the OMES song, can't play it in US because of Paseli, but I like it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFBHz4ev6_U

It looks like an easier 12 than gigadelic [7k] on mirror too, which is a shame because then I'd have two 12s beaten if I could actually play the song.

It's also funny to have $1.99 drafts available while playing IIDX. It's like, a very thin line between enhancing the experience and completely ruining your ability to pass poo poo that you've beaten 100x before.

edit: THE CANNONBALLERS is the best song. Even has an old-school car-racing-CGI-anime-girl video like back in the day.

Elephunk fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Feb 1, 2018

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

I took apart one of my crown/samduck popn buttons that's been sticking and was just wondering if the only thing I can really do about it is filling down the edge so it doesn't stick

the way it's sticking is the plunger just getting trapped under the casing part for a split second. should I just get a new button or is this salvageable? it's a monster pain in the rear end to buy new popn buttons so id like to fix this if possible

DanAdamKOF
Feb 11, 2007

Zand posted:

I took apart one of my crown/samduck popn buttons that's been sticking and was just wondering if the only thing I can really do about it is filling down the edge so it doesn't stick

the way it's sticking is the plunger just getting trapped under the casing part for a split second. should I just get a new button or is this salvageable? it's a monster pain in the rear end to buy new popn buttons so id like to fix this if possible
I’d try filing it personally. Have you tried swapping button parts around? You could determine if the plunger or casing is at fault, though I would think filing either part would fix it.
Dumb question but have you found any protrusions or irregularities causing the sticking?

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

DanAdamKOF posted:

I’d try filing it personally. Have you tried swapping button parts around? You could determine if the plunger or casing is at fault, though I would think filing either part would fix it.
Dumb question but have you found any protrusions or irregularities causing the sticking?

na i cleaned it out and it seems to work fine but there was nothing even visible on it that i cleaned so it seems strange that this would have fixed anything and yet it works fine now. i dont see any bumps or anything but thats actually what I thought it would be, since some of the stock dao buttons I had before i got these crown ones were all sorts of hosed up. if it goes back to sticking im going to file down the button. theres another button on there that isnt activating right and feels like its got some extra resistance to it so i'll have to take that one apart too and see if i can figure out why

i bought the crown buttons because the sanwas were too expensive at 30 bucks each, making it 300 dollars shipped to replace them all, but after playing on the sanwas some at the arcade I think I do like them just a little better. is there any way to get them cheaper than 30 each?

edit~~~ aaagh i figured out what was wrong with one of my other buttons, the microswitch is all hosed up and if it wiggles around while activated/if its held too long etc it drops the input briefly. so in game i kept dropping combos that used this button and i couldnt figure out why. so i swapped it out for a lovely dao button while i try to find a place to ship me a single replacement switch for a cwb-401 button

edit2: someone sell me a single samduck cwb-401 button with switch so that i dont have to pay 30 dollars for shipping please

Zand fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Feb 2, 2018

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show
Babby’s first 11 AAA :nyoron:

Who else is going to Big Deal next month?

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Only Shallow posted:

Good job!

I don't know what that is! :downs:

SeedyV
Nov 10, 2005

Water Triiiiibe

Only Shallow posted:

Considering it, though I'd probably be a first-round exit out of any tournament that gets organized.

Is that at the GVM location? Wasn't aware any of the R1s in the area had updated their IIDX cabs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clam Chowdown
May 8, 2006

That's an unacceptable answer, Donny!

Only Shallow posted:

Wait how did you have an exhard clear and no other previous data for that?