Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
the final battle is pretty good but man, there's so many things that I could pick on

1) terrible exposition
2) enjoy not knowing the plot till the loving ending
3) boring gameplay loop
4) dozens of quicktime events
5) weird weird line delivery

haunting ground will forever be the best clock tower, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
I wonder if that goon that used to do all that horror games streams would play it

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Tired Moritz posted:

I wonder if that goon that used to do all that horror games streams would play it

I could see Bobvids doing it, they suffered through Nightcry and Outlast 2, neither of which even had the little bit of bizarre soul Remothered has.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Yardbomb posted:

Remember guys, the person making Remothered is planning this thing out to be a fuckin trilogy. :psyduck:

Well, that explains the ending bit. I went and looked at another video from someone else to see the ending and it just kinda cuts to what looks like a sequel hook but without the actual sequel hook, if that makes sense. Like, if someone tried to catch a fish but instead of a hook they used a sewing needle.

Kokoro Wish posted:

Whilst I get the vitriol on the pacing and the lol worthy final death scene, the game looked decent as far as mechanics and the plot was really no worse than a Resident Evil plot. If anything I actually found the semi-nonsensicalness of it kind of charming.

Resident Evil plots aren't that complex though. They tend to boil down to "x is a double agent for y" and "villain is using biological weapons" and "how did the architect behind the spencer mansion end up getting so much loving work holy poo poo"

Remothered definitely had some neat mechanics to it though, I liked the way the hiding worked and the diversion items. It's just a shame that the various lines the stalkers say are repeated so often and they just did not do a good job with telling the story, whatever the hell the story was supposed to be.

e: though I don't think Remothered is bad, I just think that its story is just...really not good. I thought Nightcry was charming as well in spite of a similarly obtuse story (though its plot suffered more from just not explaining things whereas Remothered seems to suffer from trying to explain things but doing so badly)

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Feb 1, 2018

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

FirstAidKite posted:

Resident Evil plots aren't that complex though. They tend to boil down to "x is a double agent for y" and "villain is using biological weapons" and "how did the architect behind the spencer mansion end up getting so much loving work holy poo poo"

If you can build that many complex deathtraps and secret mechanisms and crest-based puzzles you've got one hell of a marketable set of job skills in a world bristling with melodramatic maniacs.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Just looked at the Remothered page and I feel like this is the first time I've ever seen a woman over the age of 30 as a videogame protagonist.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Morpheus posted:

Just looked at the Remothered page and I feel like this is the first time I've ever seen a woman over the age of 30 as a videogame protagonist.
The Cat Lady came to mind immediately for whatever that's worth but yeah

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
if you expect her to do badass things, don't.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Tired Moritz posted:

if you expect her to do badass things, don't.

She does a fair amount imo, she's pretty good about defending herself with whatever sharp implements she can find and being able to brace doors and tie them off.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It's kind of weird how half that Remothered game you have health until the second half you die when the badguy catches you. What happened in development?

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

The Cat Lady came to mind immediately for whatever that's worth but yeah

It happens mainly in adventure games since those are marketed to a wider audience than guys aged 14-35. Uncharted Lost Legacy is the only action game I can think of with older woman by which I mean 35-ish. Even Jill Valentine is barely 30 in her last playable role.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Feb 1, 2018

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Does Bayonetta technically count because she's a 500-year old witch? She is a mom too, after all.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i think it loses any legitimacy if a character is made exclusively to be a fetish

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)

Johnny Joestar posted:

i think it loses any legitimacy if a character is made exclusively to be a fetish

...witches?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Bayonetta is not a fetish.

She's at least five or six all rolled up into one.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

this begs the question if the lead dev of remothered really has a thing for jodie foster because goddamn that isn't even an homage it's just straight up 'hey let's put jodie foster in this game'

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Maybe it was a The Last of Us thing where they went in expecting Ellen Page to star, she didn't but they went "gently caress it, let's just do a character that mysteriously looks just like Ellen Page. Named Ellie"

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Anyone else super looking forward to Vampyr? I never played Remember Me, but loved Life Is Strange, so I'm hoping Dontnod pulls off a great game in Vampyr.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I was but then I heard about the 'you have to kill and eat innocent civilians and when you do they psychically tell you their life story so you feel guilty' poo poo in it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Pyrolocutus posted:

Anyone else super looking forward to Vampyr? I never played Remember Me, but loved Life Is Strange, so I'm hoping Dontnod pulls off a great game in Vampyr.

It looks okay and I'm going to buy it, but mostly because I want Dontnod to survive long enough to make LiS 2.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

I was but then I heard about the 'you have to kill and eat innocent civilians and when you do they psychically tell you their life story so you feel guilty' poo poo in it.

From what I've read you get people's memories when you drink their blood so ideally it's less exposition dump and more like the heart thingy in Dishonored that gives you someone's surface thoughts + this guy is a child molester.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

The Vosgian Beast posted:

goons hate Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs and love SOMA because the former is about problems that existed in the past, and exist today, but which privileged whiteboy nerds won't be exposed to, while the latter is about problems that might exist in the future for rich people.

haha wow

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

exquisite tea posted:

It looks okay and I'm going to buy it, but mostly because I want Dontnod to survive long enough to make LiS 2.

Also a compelling reason :respek:

Sakurazuka posted:

I dunno, even if there are "innocents" (and there might be just as many guilty, plus who knows what curveballs could come up with respect to the feeding mechanic), I think Dontnod could make it work. Spoilers for one of the later Life Is Strange episodes: having to decide what to do with alternate reality Chloe was a real gut punch and I'm not sure I even made the right decision, but it was done "well" :(

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

You don't need to kill anyone in the vampire game

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Morpheus posted:

Resident Evil is pretty ok with women over 30, both Claire and Ada are in their mid to late thirties in their latest games. But yeah older women are pretty rare as mainstream PCs. OG Lara Croft would have been 50 this year but they had to cut her age in half when they rebooted the games for some reason.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
What's a good horror game review site? Cause I need to read someone's articulate thoughts on bad horror games

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I picked The Evil Within 2 back up after having not played it since November. I didn't stop playing it because I didn't like it or anything. I just have a bad habit of stopping games for months at a time or more. I was on Chapter 6 and tonight I played through to chapter 13 and can say it's still quite good. I enjoy the mixture of "you will get hosed up" and "you will be doing some loving up". It's a neat balance that the game has struck where you're not always helpless but you're also not always the guy from DOOM, blasting through hordes of enemies. It's so good and I'm surprised so many people have slept on it.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Tired Moritz posted:

What's a good horror game review site? Cause I need to read someone's articulate thoughts on bad horror games

I hope it's not too gauche to link my own site but I've covered a lot of horror.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Hel posted:

Resident Evil is pretty ok with women over 30, both Claire and Ada are in their mid to late thirties in their latest games.

Does that matter if they look like they're in there early 20s? I never knew they were that old because they sure as poo poo don't look it. It's like those dating sims that get translated and all of the girls ages are bumped up to be made legal but they're still super young looking. Or the dragon in one of the Fire Emblems that takes human form and you can get into a relationship with she's takes the form of a 12 year old but it's ok because she's a 1000 year old dragon. lol

al-azad
May 28, 2009

s.i.r.e. posted:

Does that matter if they look like they're in there early 20s? I never knew they were that old because they sure as poo poo don't look it. It's like those dating sims that get translated and all of the girls ages are bumped up to be made legal but they're still super young looking. Or the dragon in one of the Fire Emblems that takes human form and you can get into a relationship with she's takes the form of a 12 year old but it's ok because she's a 1000 year old dragon. lol

I don't get this from Resident Evil at all. The characters are certainly Hollywood models but they all look their age.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

s.i.r.e. posted:

I haven't played 6 in a while but in Revelations 2 Claire looks like an adult woman. Sure she looks good but to be fair you don't start looking like a crone when you cross 40. You also can't really do the same shorthand stuff like you can do guys with balding hair and greying beards. I'm not saying it's perfect but it's as good as it gets when considering mainstream games w/o ensemble cast like fighting games or Overwatch. But yeah sure, having more actually adult women of varying body types and showing differing signs of age would be really good. And even getting a number to show over 30 is apparently really hard w/o them getting rebooted or body snatched or something.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
This looks pretty neat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STCNh5ZHG2c

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
Killing zombies do your body good

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Hel posted:

I haven't played 6 in a while but in Revelations 2 Claire looks like an adult woman. Sure she looks good but to be fair you don't start looking like a crone when you cross 40.

They look adult, but they definitely look young as hell. The biggest problem is that their skin is flawless and by 30 most people show signs of aging on their skin but that stuff is kinda hard to pull off in older games where all they really could do was putting facial lines in textures which tends to make you look super old. I think that's why Mia looks her age in RE7 because the tech was there to pull it off.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

s.i.r.e. posted:

They look adult, but they definitely look young as hell. The biggest problem is that their skin is flawless and by 30 most people show signs of aging on their skin but that stuff is kinda hard to pull off in older games where all they really could do was putting facial lines in textures which tends to make you look super old. I think that's why Mia looks her age in RE7 because the tech was there to pull it off.

Yeah, I think what makes it work for me is that she paired off with Moira who is the 20 something young woman and clearly looks younger, that contrast makes it seems like she's actually "old" even if on it's own it wouldn't. Also I just assume that just like in film, female characters have 3 tons of make-up on to hide any blemish that doesn't get the directors dick hard.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

this looks fun.

also, has anyone here checked out Scavenger SV-4? It's like a mix of a roguelike, space sim, and planet exploration game (sort of) and i think it's goon-made.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/779590/Scavenger_SV4/

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Too Shy Guy posted:

I hope it's not too gauche to link my own site but I've covered a lot of horror.
I like that you did a review of Coma Mortuary, I'm still perhaps irrationally angry at that game after buying it on some Steam sale a long time ago. I know we live in a time where Steam is awash with super low price, RPGMaker/Unity Free Edition/UDK garbage thrown together into something that stretches the definition of a commercial product, and there are far too many of them for most people to even pay attention to half the time anymore, let alone review, but they actually put this thing online and charged money for it. The few reviews I've come across seem way too generous, I guess it's due to regularly being on sale for $.25 or whatever, as if that's supposed to give it a pass.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Parachute posted:

this looks fun.

also, has anyone here checked out Scavenger SV-4? It's like a mix of a roguelike, space sim, and planet exploration game (sort of) and i think it's goon-made.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/779590/Scavenger_SV4/

I've been wondering about this game, myself. It looks really different, but I can't find a whole lot about it.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
After somone else posted Gleaner Heights on Steam thread, I'm honestly curious. Can you make a scary Harvest Moon?

Logically I don't think its possible because good HM likes are the most tranquil, passive, relaxing things outside of combing sand in a zen garden. Horror in most of its incarnations when its good, utilizes a player's immersion to be afraid. Whether its making them feel intense disgust or uneasiness or just a cheap kick in the jump scare dick. While you could maybe cute up horror, I don't really think the harvest moon loving crowd wants to mix over into horror even if the other sure would love to creep out people who just wanna crop and pet some animals.

Like, you could probably just make it really David Lynch style weird, but I don't think you can really make both without one over taking the other.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Crabtree posted:

After somone else posted Gleaner Heights on Steam thread, I'm honestly curious. Can you make a scary Harvest Moon?

Logically I don't think its possible because good HM likes are the most tranquil, passive, relaxing things outside of combing sand in a zen garden. Horror in most of its incarnations when its good, utilizes a player's immersion to be afraid. Whether its making them feel intense disgust or uneasiness or just a cheap kick in the jump scare dick. While you could maybe cute up horror, I don't really think the harvest moon loving crowd wants to mix over into horror even if the other sure would love to creep out people who just wanna crop and pet some animals.

Like, you could probably just make it really David Lynch style weird, but I don't think you can really make both without one over taking the other.

Stardew Valley somewhat does this. Basically you really have to hide it, so it takes some effort to get to the horror elements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Remember that original content lp the terrible secret of animal crossing?

I think that's how you would have to do it to be successful.