Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I can’t decide if her actions prove she doesn’t need an emotional support animal or that she really needs an emotional support animal.

I’m leaning toward the latter because even if a person thinks that flushing a live hamster down a toilet is the expedient solution to their dilemma, most people wouldn’t publicise the act.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Feb 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

shame on an IGA posted:

She could've stayed home I can't say I'm sympathetic to the hamster murder angle of the story

:agreed: people are the worst

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’m looking forward to PETA filing on behalf of Pebbles.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

It was the only option that didn't require a second trip through the security line

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

She could have kiestered the hamster.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

Midjack posted:

She could have kiestered the hamster.

Without injecting it with cocaine first?! Are you mad???

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried

priznat posted:

RIP Pebbles

I’m not pro hamster flushing but airlines taking a hard line on “emotional support whatevers” is the right call.

Also at first I thought she had to flush it on the plane which would be even worse, poor blue hamster.

What an utter piece of poo poo.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I'm pretty sure the airline is lying about the flush advice. Sad to see so many assholes in a story that could have been saved by the right one.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

It’s spirit I don’t believe the airline gave any advice without charging for it.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

As a former hamster owner I feel confident in saying that the hamster probably deserved it.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer
are we 100% certain this story didn't originate from The Onion

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Yes

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
My first inclination was to think the story was fake, but since it involves Spirit and someone from Florida, that makes it distinctly more plausible.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dzr9f-rkjnw

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

This narrator is - very atypical for youtube, he sounds like a guy who actually narrated 80s era aircraft documentaries

e: the failure of the Saro Lerwick and the Blackburn Botha had a major negative impact on Coastal Command in the early part of World War 2. The Lerwick was going to do nearly everything the Short Sunderland was going to do - just cheaper and lower capacity. This gimped British anti-submarine efforts, as they kept the Sunderland under low production, only cranking up manufacturing once the Lerwick proved itself a Turd. The Botha similarly was one of the few aircraft that was specifically going to be for Coastal Command, so when it was more a gila monster than a seagull, Coastal Command was left holding the bag. Even before World War 2 started, Britain had started buying Lockheed Hudsons for Coastal Command - which caused endless bitching from British Aircraft manufacturers. It was only when lend-lease got underway that PBY Catalinas started to show up to supplement Maritime patrol - to give you an idea of the lag involved here, when war started in '39, Coastal Command flew 'scarecrow' flights of Fox Moth biplanes only armed with flare pistols. When a pilot would spot a German U-boat, he'd dive, and hopefully force the sub to dive, thus slowing it down slightly. A PBY Catalina played an important part in sinking the Bismark, and fun fact, the crew was American. American crews had been asked to volunteer to go over to Britain to train British pilots on the new type, and those pilots were not ready when the Bismark broke out into the Atlantic.

My personal theory here is that the British government pre-World War 2 wanted self-sufficency when it came to aircraft, and wanted a competitive market for bids, so they kept throwing small contracts to all the aircraft makers. This strategy didn't go super-well. First, a lot of small manufactuers misses out on the whole "mass production" aspect - one of the reasons the Hudson was chosen was because Lockheed could actually produce the numbers the British wanted immediately. That's why in the post war world Britain allowed foreign manufacturers to big on aviation procurement projects lol no, of course not, what they did was combine all the little firms into one big one, and that worked out, eh, just super.

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Feb 10, 2018

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

Comrade Gorbash posted:

I'd still take the Musk fanboys over the Jobs fanboys. At least Musk doesn't cast being a toxic unrelenting rear end in a top hat as a business strategy.

He's been sued twice for not paying out overtime, and there's an anecdote that gets passed around where if you ask for a raise, he'll do your job for a month. If he's better than you at your job after a month, he fires you.

And the base pay at SpaceX is the typical "why the hell is pay in one of the most expensive areas of the country lower than everywhere else?" thing that LA aerospace has going on.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

ApathyGifted posted:

He's been sued twice for not paying out overtime, and there's an anecdote that gets passed around where if you ask for a raise, he'll do your job for a month. If he's better than you at your job after a month, he fires you.

And the base pay at SpaceX is the typical "why the hell is pay in one of the most expensive areas of the country lower than everywhere else?" thing that LA aerospace has going on.

Whats up with that in the so cal/LA area? I know some people at the so cal part of my large aerospace company and their standard of living compared to where I am is much lower for the same job.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

ApathyGifted posted:

Not that I'd advocate that kind of behaviour, but if that's true, at least he gives you a month and a chance, instead of just saying "if you don't like it there's the door."

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

ApathyGifted posted:

But...who does your job after you’ve been fired? Does Elon do the jobs of all the people he’s fired?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Maybe unrelated, but the gigafactory has a job fair about every two months.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

That's all based on a single anecdote:

quote:

According to Vance, the assistant, Mary Beth Brown, asked Musk for a significant raise after she’d been working with him for 12 years. In response, Musk told Brown to take two weeks off, during which he would assume her responsibilities and see whether she was critical to his success.

When Brown returned, Musk told her he didn’t need her anymore.

Musk also told Vance that he offered Brown another position at the company but that she never returned to the office after that.

There's no indication that he does that on a regular basis.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

You don't randomly gently caress over and humiliate your assistant of 12 years for having the temerity to ask for a raise and then never do anything like it again. If he really did that tells us something about his personality.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

aphid_licker posted:

You don't randomly gently caress over and humiliate your assistant of 12 years for having the temerity to ask for a raise and then never do anything like it again. If he really did that tells us something about his personality.

"Sorry, you're just not cool enough to get on the TeslArk. I enjoyed the illusion of our friendship while it lasted, and I might at some point wish you and your loved ones died quickly and with a modicum of pain." :smuggo:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I'm a huge Tesla fanboy and even I think Elon Musk seems like a tremendous rear end in a top hat.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I wrote a paper on Musk for a leadership class. He refers to himself as a nanomanager. He's a terrible, terrible boss.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Capitalism is a hell of a drug. You don't get ahead of well established competition by being nice or even fair to your employees. You exploit their efforts to the limits of the law (sometimes beyond because laws are made by politicians and politicians are owned by corporations). The best ones just don't let their employees catch on to their horrible work conditions.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

um excuse me posted:

Capitalism is a hell of a drug. You don't get ahead of well established competition by being nice or even fair to your employees. You exploit their efforts to the limits of the law (sometimes beyond because laws are made by politicians and politicians are owned by corporations). The best ones just don't let their employees catch on to their horrible work conditions.

Yes, and that's why they should all get the guillotine.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Colonial Air Force posted:

History is replete with successful leaders who were non particularly friendly people, yet managed to do positive things. I'd amend your proposal to limit it to the assholes who don't provide anything advantageous for humanity. So Musk, Washington, and Patton get to keep their heads.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Godholio posted:

History is replete with successful leaders who were non particularly friendly people, yet managed to do positive things. I'd amend your proposal to limit it to the assholes who don't provide anything advantageous for humanity. So Musk, Washington, and Patton get to keep their heads.

Two out of three ain't bad.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

History and humanity is replete with assholes, successful or not. Just do your best to minimize the effect their poo poo have on you, nbd.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Ola posted:

Just do your best to minimize the effect their poo poo have on you, nbd.

That may require from time to time ganging up with other people to guillotine the ones whose success/assholeness ratio is too low.

In more aeronautical news, 2018 will unfortunately not be a repeat of 2017 for civil aviation safety. 71 people died in a fiery crash near Moscow.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-43024235

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Feb 11, 2018

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Were the curtains open?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Is it bad if I see news about a Russian air crash with no survivors and my first suspicion is to wonder who was on the plane?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Phy posted:

Is it bad if I see news about a Russian air crash with no survivors and my first suspicion is to wonder who was on the plane?

My first suspicion is that the pilots were drunk if it's a Russian crash.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

aphid_licker posted:

Even taking that anecdote at complete face value assuming malice, employees are not citizens of the company, but are resources that can be terminated for any time at any reason. Likewise, one is free to terminate employment and leave at any time, and are not bound as indentured servants.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
I just want to note that I wasn't defending Musk, just saying Jobs (and Jobs fanboys) are even worse.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

A good friend of mine was just unceremoniously let go from his pretty important position after being there for 15 years because the parent company that aquired us two years ago needed a headcount for their earnings call that evening since growth wasn't quite what they were giving guidance for.

Companies suck everywhere.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Colonial Air Force posted:

Guillotines are hungry bitches who bite the hands that feed them.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

R-Type posted:

Even taking that anecdote at complete face value assuming malice, employees are not citizens of the company, but are resources that can be terminated for any time at any reason. Likewise, one is free to terminate employment and leave at any time, and are not bound as indentured servants.

Yeah. Cause just dropping all your income on a dime is just as easy for an employee as losing one of thousands of workers is for a large company. Definitely an equal balance of power there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeah I've always laughed (bitterly) about the so-called "fairness" of at-will employment

"Okay, so, we can fire you at any time for any reason, arbitrarily depriving you of your livelihood at our whim. But in exchange we will not compel you to continue working for us if you don't want to, although doing so would be equivalent to an illegal practice that has been banned in this country for over 150 years. See, you give some, you get some!"