Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

I'm trying to find a FB post from someone I trust with the fundraising info.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

I'm done.

PT6A posted:

The ignore function doesn't work if you keep loving quoting him, you dunces!

apologies

CLAM DOWN posted:

Hey buddy, I completely agree with you, but he's not worth it. He's too worthless, dumb, and miserable to be a good target for your anger, as much as I understand, let's redirect <3

Like someone above asked, what entities or charities can we donate to? I have money ready to go right now, need to redirect my rage to something positive.

agreed

klockwerk
Jun 30, 2007

dsch

ChairMaster posted:

Ahahaha, I love this. I'm the true monster here, for making fun of all the simpletons who didn't see this coming. I'm the one responsible for white supremacy, because I was smart enough to stop giving a poo poo about other people a long time ago. Not the ignorant rural dipshits who made it happen, not the farcical racist pile of garbage we call a justice system, it's the nihilist on the internet laughing at the people who can't accept that the world is not a just place.

None of you guys are ever going to do anything to make this any better, caring about a situation does not actually do anything, you have to take action. And none of you ever will, you'll always stay comfortable, you'll never sacrifice anything to make things better. Maybe you'll do this poo poo:

Try and desperately convince yourself that you can spend some money to make things right, that the system still works if we can raise enough money, because money fixes everything.

Can you please shut up. Since you are being such an ignoramous I'll directly refuse some of the diarrhea that seems to be spilling from your mouth.

Things I (me, personally, myself, not you) have done in an effort to improve cultural relations in Canada:

* Invited indigenous speakers to talk to my professional organization (of which I am president) to aid with cultural awareness/sensitivity and the idea of reconciliation.
* Attended various conferences and public events promoting indiginization and community-building between urban-dwelling FN peoples to enhance my own knowledge and pass on to colleagues, friends and family. I've listened first-hand to FN leaders and educators to understand the issues they are facing and how we can address them
* Integrated reconciliation and indiginization into the strategic plans of a major urban public library system
* Developed a reading list/bibliography of indigenously-authored and/or illustrated childrens books and stories to aid B.Ed students in selecting reading materials for their courses

I'm not saying these are fixes or I am some sort of saint for doing this poo poo, but please don't tell me I'm "doing nothing" you colossal gently caress. Further context: I live in Saskatchewan. I see this poo poo DAILY and it's HARD loving WORK. Who the gently caress even are you to call out internet strangers on what they choose to do to try to make the world a better place?

Edit: please "hang fire" yourself.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Entropic posted:

who is "zucker"?

http://transadvocate.com/part-i-the-rise-and-fall-of-discosexology-dr-zucker-camh-conversion-therapy_n_19556.htm

Disclaimer: I’m the interviewed patient so I’m a bit biased.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

klockwerk posted:

Can you please shut up. Since you are being such an ignoramous I'll directly refuse some of the diarrhea that seems to be spilling from your mouth.

Things I (me, personally, myself, not you) have done in an effort to improve cultural relations in Canada:

* Invited indigenous speakers to talk to my professional organization (of which I am president) to aid with cultural awareness/sensitivity and the idea of reconciliation.
* Attended various conferences and public events promoting indiginization and community-building between urban-dwelling FN peoples to enhance my own knowledge and pass on to colleagues, friends and family. I've listened first-hand to FN leaders and educators to understand the issues they are facing and how we can address them
* Integrated reconciliation and indiginization into the strategic plans of a major urban public library system
* Developed a reading list/bibliography of indigenously-authored and/or illustrated childrens books and stories to aid B.Ed students in selecting reading materials for their courses

I'm not saying these are fixes or I am some sort of saint for doing this poo poo, but please don't tell me I'm "doing nothing" you colossal gently caress. Further context: I live in Saskatchewan. I see this poo poo DAILY and it's HARD loving WORK. Who the gently caress even are you to call out internet strangers on what they choose to do to try to make the world a better place?

https://twitter.com/ciagofundme/status/961299461782867971

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Oh wow I'm super impressed that you got a bunch of rich white people to listen to presentations on how woke you are, that'll heat the res for sure!

klockwerk posted:

You should probably get therapy for all that anger, telling people to kill themselves isn't nice at all.

e:

gently caress yea finally someone gets it.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Shut up chairmaster. Everyone stop quoting him and just report.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I’m not surprised with the acquittal with all of the prosecutions witnesses that were there lying in court or changing their stories but still sad to see.

I feel if the witnesses were better prepared or more honest it could have been a mansalughter charge.

klockwerk
Jun 30, 2007

dsch
lol I wish rich white people would visit the library

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

I was not aware that Jesse Singal was connected to Zucker as well, but isn't it a bit much to say Contra "shacked up" with Singal when they were (afaik) merely friends? I don't mean to say you are wrong, I'm just not entirely familiar with this so I'm genuinely asking, and feel free to correct me (or just tell me to gently caress off if you don't feel like explaining)

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Feb 10, 2018

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Why are the mostly rich white people itt so mad about the implication that their thoughts and prayers don't make the world any better? Why does that get so much disdain when it happens in America, but the same thing in different words here gets a pass?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

zapplez posted:

I’m not surprised with the acquittal with all of the prosecutions witnesses that were there lying in court or changing their stories but still sad to see.

I feel if the witnesses were better prepared or more honest it could have been a mansalughter charge.

Was there some question about whether or not Stanley's restricted firearm discharged into Boushie, killing him, after he pulled the trigger? Because that's where the manslaughter would have come in.

Are you suggesting that the jury didn't believe Stanley was holding the weapon when it discharged?

Are we going with "Dang kids just couldn't get their stories straight, I guess we'll just chalk this one up to death by misadventure"?

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Feb 10, 2018

klockwerk
Jun 30, 2007

dsch
This GoFundMe is making rounds; looks legit - run by a student group at U of S:

https://www.gofundme.com/justice4colten

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

klockwerk posted:

This GoFundMe is making rounds; looks legit - run by a student group at U of S:

https://www.gofundme.com/justice4colten

Is there any way to get confirmation somehow this is legit? Gofundmes can be super sketchy.

klockwerk
Jun 30, 2007

dsch

CLAM DOWN posted:

Is there any way to get confirmation somehow this is legit? Gofundmes can be super sketchy.

I (indirectly; friends of friends) know the person who manages the page. It's legit.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

klockwerk posted:

I (indirectly; friends of friends) know the person who manages the page. It's legit.

K, thanks, gonna donate later when able, and will post here hopefully encouraging others to do the same.

e: gently caress it, had a few minutes on the train

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Feb 10, 2018

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Ahaha, money makes everything better. They pacify their own guilt and inner turmoil by spending money, sending it off to buy happiness and save the world one pittance at a time. The beautiful maintenance of the status quo through charity. Money makes it all okay.

Everything is as it will always be.

ChairMaster fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Feb 10, 2018

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

THC posted:

I was not aware that Jesse Singal was connected to Zucker as well, but isn't it a bit much to say Contra "shacked up" with Singal when they were (afaik) merely friends? I don't mean to say you are wrong, I'm just not entirely familiar with this so I'm genuinely asking, and feel free to correct me (or just tell me to gently caress off if you don't feel like explaining)

Yeah, I just meant shacked up in the friends sense. My bad. Couldn't even remember Singal's name until I stepped into the great brain unfucker, known as the shower. Between that and all her "oh they're not so bad" poo poo with the alt-right and similar fucks, I have no tolerance for her, personally and politically. (And I've had personal run-ins with Singal enough to be convinced that he isn't actually interested in anything but handwringing about THE CHILDREN for attention/hurting trans people.)

To answer your other question, she was pretty much right about Peterson in those quoted tweets.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
Chair master being a pathetic human being who gets off on people constantly humiliating him?

Everything is as it always will be

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Observe how the rich white people are unable to engage with the idea that charity exists as little more than a tool to assuage their own guilt and complicity in an unjust system, and thus absolve themselves of relevant action. In this way they can avoid the cognitive dissonance they must feel so often, caused by the idea that they are good people and thus care about others, but exist in a state of such luxury bought and paid for by the exploitation of so so many less fortunate people than themselves. By putting aside a small pittance for when a news headline reminds them of the world they exist so far above, they are able to easily buy their way out of those feelings. Money makes everything better.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Arivia posted:

Yeah, I just meant shacked up in the friends sense. My bad. Couldn't even remember Singal's name until I stepped into the great brain unfucker, known as the shower. Between that and all her "oh they're not so bad" poo poo with the alt-right and similar fucks, I have no tolerance for her, personally and politically. (And I've had personal run-ins with Singal enough to be convinced that he isn't actually interested in anything but handwringing about THE CHILDREN for attention/hurting trans people.)

To answer your other question, she was pretty much right about Peterson in those quoted tweets.
Thanks for the clarification :thumbsup:

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

CLAM DOWN posted:

K, thanks, gonna donate later when able, and will post here hopefully encouraging others to do the same.

e: gently caress it, had a few minutes on the train

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Did we ever find out whether the Crown can appeal the case?

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

gently caress, now I need a shower

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

gross

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

:sigh:

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
e.
gently caress it

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Ew gross.

It seemed odd until I saw the by-line, and then I was like, "oh, of course! I think I'll go vomit now!"

klockwerk
Jun 30, 2007

dsch
lol now the phillipines crazy president DOESN'T want our helicopters.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
What's the worst by-line to see at the top of an article in canadian media?

a) Conrad Black

b) Margaret Wente

c) Rex Murphy

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Oh cool so they edited the worst part of that out but didn't bother to remove any of the other bad parts:

http://nationalpost.com/opinion/conrad-black-the-worlds-laughing-at-canadas-unrestrained-peoplekind-political-correctness-lighten-up

Now it just says:

quote:

She offered to do me if I would give her an interview and I declined but commended her on her initiative.

Aren't newspapers supposed to do things like disclose when articles have been edited?

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

eXXon posted:

Oh cool so they edited the worst part of that out but didn't bother to remove any of the other bad parts:

http://nationalpost.com/opinion/conrad-black-the-worlds-laughing-at-canadas-unrestrained-peoplekind-political-correctness-lighten-up

Now it just says:

Aren't newspapers supposed to do things like disclose when articles have been edited?

I think opinion articles have less of a editorial rigor.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

eXXon posted:

That’s what the URL slug is for!

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

infernal machines posted:

Lordy, that's something. I sure hope someone explains the logic behind that verdict.

You see, justice is blind. She doesn't see centuries of historical injustice. She doesn't see our collective lowered expectations, our preconceived convictions or which outcome we think would be best to help towards reconciliation. She saw a reasonable chance that, if 5 drunk robbers showed up on her property with bad intentions, maybe she'd grab her gun. Maybe if it seemed like they tried to run down her son, she'd fire some warning shots. Unfortunately, none of the other witnesses gave a more convincing alternative. The jury wasn't able to say beyond a reasonable doubt that Stanley murdered Boushie and they had his word plus a bulged cartridge on one side and not much on the other.

There's a feeling of injustice but it wasn't the jury's verdict, it's the conditions that lead up to the statistically inevitable tragedy. His friend was driving after drinking 30 shots. He drove him into a firearm owning racist farmer's front yard and tried to steal an atv but it's more likely he would've driven him into another vehicle or stationary object with the same end result. The injustice is that the same conditions lead to this same situation playing out all over the country every day with less captivating, equally tragic results. That's all I got, Idunno, I'm just spitballing what Wente is going to write tomorrow.

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL
Here’s a thread from my old evidence prof explaining how the jury could reach the verdict:

https://twitter.com/michaelplaxton/status/962169682550640642

I don’t practice crim (mostly family), but I agree that it seems the Crown put a bit too much emphasis on the “hang fire is bunk” argument, without doing the work of calling sufficient statistical evidence to prove why. In their closing arguments, they also seemed to treat the manslaughter charge as an afterthought, when based on the evidence, they should have been highlighting the recklessness angle. Granted, I wasn’t there, but I was following 5-6 people who were live-tweeting it and that’s the impression I got.

It’s a travesty, and it’s absolutely going to cause a shitstorm for race relations in this province.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Sep 9, 2022

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

bub spank posted:

Here’s a thread from my old evidence prof explaining how the jury could reach the verdict:

https://twitter.com/michaelplaxton/status/962169682550640642

I don’t practice crim (mostly family), but I agree that it seems the Crown put a bit too much emphasis on the “hang fire is bunk” argument, without doing the work of calling sufficient statistical evidence to prove why. In their closing arguments, they also seemed to treat the manslaughter charge as an afterthought, when based on the evidence, they should have been highlighting the recklessness angle. Granted, I wasn’t there, but I was following 5-6 people who were live-tweeting it and that’s the impression I got.

It’s a travesty, and it’s absolutely going to cause a shitstorm for race relations in this province.

"A weapon that was pointed at a child's brain happened to discharge at that moment and kill him" screams criminal negligence causing death, but to go that way they'd have needed to predict the hang-fire thingy

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

flakeloaf posted:

"A weapon that was pointed at a child's brain happened to discharge at that moment and kill him" screams criminal negligence causing death, but to go that way they'd have needed to predict the hang-fire thingy

the dead robbery man might not have been very clever but it seems rude (maybe racist?) to say that he had a child's brain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Really surprised, thought that was an easy manslaughter conviction.